• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My computer has 8 GB of RAM! Can you beat that??

Years
    Simple question!

How much RAM does your computer (or computers) have? Are you satisfied with that amount of RAM? Can your computer expand beyond how much RAM it currently has?

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    I think 8GB is a standard for proper gaming PCs by now, and 4GB is the very minimum. If I had a proper gaming PC I would go with 8GB of RAM.

Years
    I seem to have a stigma for 16 because I see myself doing a lot of stuff at once. I would like that extra. No more than 16 though.

Currently I'm on 4 and uh...nooooooo.

Years
    My laptop has 4GB currently. I'm going to buy new one next year with much more for as cheap as possible I hope.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    6 GB, and I couldn't be happier. I'd probably be 20% more happier with 16 GB, but I can live with 6. My comp hasn't had a slowdown at all. :D

It's surprising that back in the day we considered 512 mb RAM to be the minimum.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I have 6 GB, and I'm pretty satisfied with it! I haven't had any problems with my laptop and she's approaching two years now, the ol' gal.

Years
    4GB, it still works just fine for pretty much everything i use my PC for (except LoL which is more of a problem with my current graphic card).

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    8 GB here. It's unlikely that I'd need any more for the time being, and by the time games require more than 8 GB of RAM, well, the laptop's probably obsoleted.

That, and 8 GB is pretty spacious for normal desktop usage, too.

I can expand the entire thing up to about 16 GB (2 sticks of 8 GB RAM), and the speed's already topped out at 1600 MHz.

Years
    My desktop is stuck with 4GB of RAM, and it's unable to expand farther than that. I wish I could expand it though, because it surely can be slow at times and lock up quite often!

However, my laptop has 8 GB of RAM, and I'm pretty happy with that. :P My laptop can expand up to 16 GB of RAM too.

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
    Yep, I've got 8GB RAM on my laptop. It's probably the useful minimum for those who do audio production, video editing or animation, and they would probably want more.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I've got 16 on my desktop.

At the time I built it, it was only about $15 more for the second 8GB stick, and I didn't want the one stick to get lonely. :c So I got him a friend.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
    Compared to every one above me, mine is slow, 3GB - the way I use my laptop is fair enough (2 programs opened most of the time - Chrome & Winamp) - when I play basic games I like (Card Games, Board Games or Sim City 4 - I have to quit my programs) - at times I do wish I had more (mainly to have SC4 & Winamp opened at the same time)

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    I think it's cool you can spot all the Maccies a mile away with the 6 GB of RAM. Really neat.

I have 4GB of RAM on this laptop. My old eMachines had 2GB. The tower my mother's using has 1GB. I don't really ever have memory troubles even when doing resource-intensive things like Photoshop or some 3D game or whathaveyou. The only thing that's ever put a dent in this PC's RAM is about two dozen tabs of reaction GIFs. In reality this notebook's Achilles heel is its AMD E1-1500 APU, which both of the aforementioned desktops happily run circles around, one being a single-core Sempron and the other a damn Pentium. Yeah, RAM is not on my list of PC troubles. Not at all.

MoonLight

The Stars are Pretty
    Years
    I know when I got my very first computer it only has 1GB haha now my newest one has 32GB it's good for the programs I use .

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
    The laptop I have right now only has a piddly 1GB of RAM running Windows 7. Beat that in terms of suck. xD

The one I'm planning to get though has 8GB of RAM, and is expandable up to 32GB. I can't wait until I get it, because I'm at my wit's end with my current one.

Racket

The TCG Professor
    Years
    Well the most recent computer buy I had is the laptop I carry around for non-work which costed $800 bucks and has 8Gb of ram. I bought it almost exactly a year ago. That should give an idea about the scale.

Most modern multi-media class (and simular) laptops $800 and over on the market should have 8GB+ based on that estimate. Most desktops (besides perhaps economy class) on the market should have no less then 4.

That being said, I have a few other laptops around. The one that I use as a small server (and even develop on sometimes) has 2GB. 2Gb could probably do most things I'm using my computer for, though I might miss using ramdisk to reduce compilation times.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    These days, I never game on my computer, so a RAM of 8GB is, for me, a lot more than I could possibly chew. For all my gaming needs and whatnot, I have my consoles, so whenever I feel like playing something, I turn to them. Well, okay, I do game on my computer, but ones I try don't require that much of memory; they seem to run perfectly fine from the amount I actually have, which would be 4GB.

4GB seems very well-balanced, if you ask me, and I'm more than satisfied with it. Mostly, I use my computer to browse Internet, chat, and watch videos, and I don't exactly believe that people need too much RAM for things like this. Can my computer extend its RAM, though? I think so; I remember reading it in its manual. If I remember right, it's able to grow up to around four more gigs or so.

Years
    My rig can handle up to 32, but I can't think of any reason you would need that much. I have 8 at the moment, but plan on making it 16 just because I've noticed slight slowdown with a couple of games.

Back