• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: New Z-Move for Lycanroc revealed

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
  • It really sucks that its an event only pokemon, but I'm glad that it at least has its own special Z-move. It makes it much less of a disappointment and makes it much more relevant, which is nice.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    I am getting two rockruffs. One for US and one for UM. One has Fire Fang and the other has Thunder Fang. A shame i lose one of the z crystals though once i start over a game.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • Unless Lycanroc stats are buffed, I doubt he's going to be viable competitively. He's still a weaker version of Aerodactyl, and I doubt that a Z-move that removes terrain effects once per battle would would change that; now if it completely disables terrain effects from activating and also prevent the activation of terrain for a set amount of turns, then maybe.

Not to mention that, since this Z-moves base is stone edge doesn't make contact, the Z-move itself doesn't. Which means that Splintered Stormshard doesn't get a bonus from Dusk Forms Tough claws ability.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I guess I'll probably restart a few times and move Rockruffs to my PokeBank before I officially start a game, then. It's an idea.

Years
  • It really sucks that its an event only pokemon, but I'm glad that it at least has its own special Z-move. It makes it much less of a disappointment and makes it much more relevant, which is nice.

Reminder that all of Lycanroc's forms can use this Z-Move, not just the Dusk form. Besides, it helps keep the Midday and Midnight forms still relevant.

Unless Lycanroc stats are buffed, I doubt he's going to be viable competitively. He's still a weaker version of Aerodactyl, and I doubt that a Z-move that removes terrain effects once per battle would would change that; now if it completely disables terrain effects from activating and also prevent the activation of terrain for a set amount of turns, then maybe.

Not to mention that, since this Z-moves base is stone edge doesn't make contact, the Z-move itself doesn't. Which means that Splintered Stormshard doesn't get a bonus from Dusk Forms Tough claws ability.

I can definitely see where you're going here, since Dusk form's only usable move with Tough Claws is Accelerock. The bad movepool that Lycanroc has in general will only hurt its potential even further, since Aerodactyl does outclass it as a speedy Rock-type.

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2022
    Haven't been a fan of Z-moves since their reveal, but I'm glad to see they're getting a few unique perks.

Years
  • tumblr_inline_ow9559NHxF1r4eg07_540.png

So, like the other launch Mystery Gift events (such as X/Y's Torchic and S/M's Munchlax) it looks like this Rockruff, and to an extent Dusk Lycanroc can only be male. Nature seems like it'll be random like the previous events of its kind.

Has a different elemental fang based on version - Fire Fang in Ultra Sun and Thunder Fang in Ultra Moon.

Years
  • I don't see why this rockruff has to be male only. We should be allow to have both genders.

I always wondered why as well, but from I what I recall regarding Torchic and Munchlax, they were male probably because their gender ratio heavily favoured males, unlike Rockruff which is a 50-50 gender ratio.

Years
  • Interesting stuff. I guess it's like Salandit only being female in order to evolve but eh, I'm fine with gender specific evolutions.

Lycanroc is not really gender-specific, but considering the previous launch Mystery Gift events were male, it seems more likely this Rockruff will be locked into being male.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • Lycanroc is not really gender-specific, but considering the previous launch Mystery Gift events were male, it seems more likely this Rockruff will be locked into being male.

I think because it's based on Ash's Rockruff (Supposedly a male I guess) so it'll be a male.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    I still get the Rockruffs even if the genders are locked. I was never particular about genders anyway. I am gonna max out the attack on one of the rockruffs to make fully use of it.

Years
  • I think because it's based on Ash's Rockruff (Supposedly a male I guess) so it'll be a male.

According to Bulbapedia, Ash's Lycanroc's gender hadn't been officially confirmed yet but I am assuming it'll likely be male, since most of Ash's Pokemon have either been confirmed to or assumed to be male. I mean, he referred to his Greninja as a "he" despite its gender never actually being confirmed, though the Ash-Greninja in the games is locked to being male.

tumblr_inline_ow9tx7qFHl1tk6buh_500.png

Also, I love how Splintered Stormshards' animation is based on which Lycanroc form uses it. That's a neat detail Game Freak could have easily missed.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • According to Bulbapedia, Ash's Lycanroc's gender hadn't been officially confirmed yet but I am assuming it'll likely be male, since most of Ash's Pokemon have either been confirmed to or assumed to be male. I mean, he referred to his Greninja as a "he" despite its gender never actually being confirmed, though the Ash-Greninja in the games is locked to being male.

tumblr_inline_ow9tx7qFHl1tk6buh_500.png

Also, I love how Splintered Stormshards' animation is based on which Lycanroc form uses it. That's a neat detail Game Freak could have easily missed.

Buuuut the sun is also in the same position for Midday and Dusk... so they tried but also not really at the same time

Years
  • Buuuut the sun is also in the same position for Midday and Dusk... so they tried but also not really at the same time

They did get the moon right for Midnight Form. I guess for Dusk Form they took Midday's background and coloured the sky orange.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Why does this have to be event only they could have just made Own Tempo Rockruff's Hidden Ability and Lycanroc would gain whichever ability depending on which form it evolves into.

Accelerock is a fun move and Tough Claws boosting it is a nice touch.

Hopefully Lycanroc's special Z stone is available in game.

Years
  • Why does this have to be event only they could have just made Own Tempo Rockruff's Hidden Ability and Lycanroc would gain whichever ability depending on which form it evolves into.

Own Tempo isn't even a hidden ability. It has Steadfast for its hidden ability, so it's clear this event Rockruff will be heavily sought after when its event finishes, and it will probably be very valuable among traders.

Hopefully Lycanroc's special Z stone is available in game.

It probably will, since all of the Lycanroc forms can use it.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    So Own Tempo is for this specific Rockruff? Good to know. So it is possible for pokemon to have abilities that are not it's original one/two abililties and not its hidden ability. Not taking into account skill swap, trace, etc.

Back