• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Niche interests

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    I have a habit of finding niche interests for some reason. Be it birds, anime (although it has become much more mainstream than before), Iceland, fighting games and recently - warships. This comes with a drawback that one has to put in more effort to find other people to discuss said interests. But once you do find them, I think these can be great as friendship starters.

Do you have any niche interests and do you have anyone with them in your current friend circle?

I have yet to find someone with interest in fighting games. As for ships, I... sorta have a friend with that interest? He's more of a plane guy so he talks to me about planes while I talk about ships.

Years
  • I have an interest in navy ships and submarines. I'd love to go in a sub. I'm neither claustrophobic nor scare easily so.

Magitronique

I SWALLOW SLUDGE TO TRANSFORM MYSELF
    Years
  • I'm a huge fan of alternate history stories and timelines, due to being a bit of a modern American history and politics dork. I also enjoy old television shows and cartoons, in and around the 60s/70s to to the 90s. Haven't met anyone who was even remotely interested in any of those things, but my friends and family are kind enough to let me rant and rave about 'em whenever I get on the subjects lmao.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    One of my friends is really interested in and knowledgable about fish. I think it's really cool when people have something they're so passionate about. Don't really know if I have any niche interests myself. I like learning about history a lot but wouldn't say it's a super big interest for me! Not sure if this counts but I've also always loved public speaking - I know a lot of people who hate it but I enjoy it. I like thinking about how to engage people and its always so rewarding when people tell you the difference your speech made to their perspective, view etc. I like looking at speeches and seeing what other people do well and getting inspiration too so I guess that's niche?! Which is strange because outside of speeches, I am a pretty reserved and shy person but I don't feel any sort of anxiety/fear about public speaking. I do like it a lot :D

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I love the 60's-80's decades of Boxing.

I remember visiting a museum where Muhammad Ali's gloves were on display. It was the coolest thing to me and I wish I still had my picture.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • I am into dinosaurs. Or Paleontology in general. I find it amazing how the earth we've inherited had different environments altogether. I used to cut out newspaper articles about new discoveries. Kulindadromeus, Aegirocassis..their images are stuck in my notebook. But that was till three years ago.
    These days, I just visit websites to know more. I bought a book by Dougal Dixon which is sort of likema catalogue of about 600 species of ancient reptiles (including icthyosurs, pterosaurs, crocs, etc.) and another by Steve Brusatte because the Paleontology reddit recommended it.

And I guess it's niche because you don't ask a person you've met for the first time a question like, "What's your favourite dinosaur/pterosaur/marine reptile?"

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    Thinking, I suppose? More specifically things that:
    - scientists deem unscientific
    - philosophers deem pointless to ponder about
    - and normal humans unthinkable

It's very abstract and you can guess how many people one can find who are willing to indulge.

Years
  • I am into dinosaurs. Or Paleontology in general. I find it amazing how the earth we've inherited had different environments altogether. I used to cut out newspaper articles about new discoveries. Kulindadromeus, Aegirocassis..their images are stuck in my notebook. But that was till three years ago.
    These days, I just visit websites to know more. I bought a book by Dougal Dixon which is sort of likema catalogue of about 600 species of ancient reptiles (including icthyosurs, pterosaurs, crocs, etc.) and another by Steve Brusatte because the Paleontology reddit recommended it.

And I guess it's niche because you don't ask a person you've met for the first time a question like, "What's your favourite dinosaur/pterosaur/marine reptile?"

Can't say I'm quite as dedicated as you, but hi there, I also am quite interested in pre-historic animals.

As for other niche interests... how niche is niche? Anime/manga, tabletop games and writing are pretty niche hobbies of mine, but probably less so than like... quantum mechanics or ballroom dance, both of which I am also interested in.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023

Probably just because a lot of new people I meet are biologists, but I find it to be a great conversation starter xD

As for other niche interests... how niche is niche?

I usually think of niche being anything you can't really talk about with people around you, or at least not many people around you. That's why I'm hesitant to list stuff like paleontology or anime because, while they should be niche, I'm lucky enough to have several good friends I can discuss it with so it doesn't feel niche to me.

Years
  • Not too niche to a lot of people, but I only got one friend in my entire circle who shares this interest with me. PC building and getting down to the nitty-gritty of it. Knowing pretty much all the components down to the model numbers and names and listing them down from memory. It constantly freaks out my gf lmao. If anyone else here knows what an MSI GTX 1660 Ventus XS OC 6GB GDDR6 is, please chat with me I need a fellow nerd.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • visual novels and console/handheld hacking are probably the big ones i care about that i don't find lots of other people interested in.

Back