• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Now, here's how it all began…

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    So, guys; what are some things you liked about X and Y's storyline? What stuff were you disappointed by? What are your thoughts on the story as a whole? If you were to change anything in regards to it, what would they be and why?

Pillodox

Ruff
    Years
  • I was disappointed about how easy the Elite 4 was and that their Pokemon always stay the same level before and after beating the game.

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • I hated everything.

Rivals:
    At the start i liked that you would have 4 rivals, but they were just complete noobs that were easier than the normal trainers on the road. And your main rival was also bad. Except shauna I think she was a fun character to interact with but not as a trainer rival. But I really hated the rest.

Gym Leaders:
    And the gym's ugh don't talk about that...Seriously you could have already owned almost every pokemon from the central kalos dex before you even reached the 2nd gym and he only has 2 pokemon! Seriously 2 of lvl 25? When I reached him I had a full party that was lvl 30-35 and that was without the exp-share or exp grinding.

Villians:
    My biggest problem as that the villians were a joke. Yea people hurt pokemon so everyone must die even the pokémon themselves except everyone who joins my team who don't even care about pokémon themselves and if that wasn't enough you must pay a fortune to survive? Logic? And Malva wy isn't she arrested for being a team flare member?And wy wasn't she underground like the rest were she just gonna die herself too? And almost nothing about the legendary and how it was stuck in the machine and It suddenly awakens and wants to be your friend?

Elite Four:
    Since gen 5 the elite four was also a joke. The fact that you could battle them in any order made them even easier and that they only had 4 pokémon. But at least in gen 5 you could rebattle them with a full team and higher lvl's. Still I liked the elite four before gen 5. That they were ranked from weakest to strongest and mostly of the time when you reached the elite four your pokémons were at the same lvl as the first elite four and the champion had like +10 lvl so it made it way more challenging than now. Well the champion was oké but nothing more.

Post game:
    There was almost nothing to do besides the looker quest(wich was pretty fun) and 1 new town wich had the battle maison. You could rebattle gym leaders the elite four and the champion in the chateau with increased level but it was random and no full team. No 2nd round for the elite four. And the mega stone hunt and 3 legendaries wich 2 were from kanto. It was really lacking in post game and the only thing i could do was prepare for online battles and filling dex.

Mega's:
    I don't have a problem with the idea of mega's but i am angry at some design's wich look really ugly compared to the original. Manectric that fur looks rideculous. Scizor and Heracross became robots and don't look natural anymore. Not enough mega's or unfair treatment over other pokémon.

Things I would have liked:
    Nintendo knows that a majority of the people that play pokemon are actually loyal fans but pokémon is also supposed to be a kid's game so I understand that it shouldn't be to hard to play out the game. But seriously wy don't they make a mode that is suitable for the long time playing people and make pokémon how it actually should be. I want multiple challange modes.

Easy:
    AI is not so smart low amount of pokémon on trainers and gym leaders. How the game atm is.

Normal:
    I really think they should make the first gym already have at least 3 pokémons. And increase the number by 1 every new gym leader. Late game trainers should have full teams also elite fours should also have full teams come on they are the elite four they should have a full team. Also limited amount of uses of items in battle because it won't be a challenge then if your opponent can only heal 4x and you almost infinite. And no revives, Because that is the same as cheating. So you can register like 4 items for use in a battle. Excluding wild battles.

Hard: increased lvl of trainer's pokemon and Better AI than normal. Extra pokémon on team. And of course same as normal limited amount of uses in battle and hold items for gym leaders, rivals, late game trainers,Elite four/champion,high ranking villians.

Pokemon Master:
    First gym should have 5/6 pokémon with each pokemon holding a hold item. More increase in level. Even better AI(like Smartest as possible)Already EV trained pokémon. Trainers should have At least 3 pokémon and mid game 6 also with hold items and ev trained and even recovery items like gym leaders/elite four.

All in All I really didn't like the plot, characters and the diffeculty of the game.

AZ Jr

There is a fine line between fishing and just stan
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 9, 2014
    The scary house. In Generation Four we had the Old Chateau, my favorite to this day. In Generation Five, we had the whole Darkrai thing with the girl. And in Generation Six? An old man asks you to pay him so you can hear a crap ghost story. *sigh* More effort, Game Freak. Please.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Like the stories for Black/White and Black2/White2, Game Freak had set up a great premise for a story in X/Y, then failed to do anything meaningful with it. It's kinda sad, really. I'd like to see a good story for Pokémon one of these days. Team Flare was goofy as hell, and that was nice, but it really contrasts with Lysandre's goals a little too much. If they included more Lysandre in the plot it might've been better. I wanted the game to focus more on the ideas he was presenting. Same with AZ.

While it was nice that you had 4 rivals, they kinda didn't do much besides pop in occasionally to remind you they exist; they pretty much have no impact on the story.

Then there's the post-game. The post-game had the Looker missions, which I thought were great (they actually put a bit of a decent story and characters in there), but you burn through that quickly and when its done....that's it. And the post-game itself is kinda lacking a bit in content.

And I still don't understand why Calem, Tierno, Trevor, and Shauna get medals at the end of the game too. I'm pretty sure that, once again, it was me that single-handedly saved the world. Don't remember getting much help from the kids....not like I needed it.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I thought running into the kids every five minutes was quite annoying. Also, why do we need that many rivals/partners/annoying little siblings?

Also, I knew as soon as I met Lysander that he was the leader of Team Flare.

Years
  • I don't mind the storyline of XY. I know I'm going to be in the hilariously small minority when saying this, but it beats BW hands down. I really didn't like Gen V story-wise. I felt the Mega evolution part of the story was really unnecessary, though(same for Megas themselves, but shhh)...

Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2014
    I hated everything.

Rivals:
    At the start i liked that you would have 4 rivals, but they were just complete noobs that were easier than the normal trainers on the road. And your main rival was also bad. Except shauna I think she was a fun character to interact with but not as a trainer rival. But I really hated the rest.

Gym Leaders:
    And the gym's ugh don't talk about that...Seriously you could have already owned almost every pokemon from the central kalos dex before you even reached the 2nd gym and he only has 2 pokemon! Seriously 2 of lvl 25? When I reached him I had a full party that was lvl 30-35 and that was without the exp-share or exp grinding.

Villians:
    My biggest problem as that the villians were a joke. Yea people hurt pokemon so everyone must die even the pokémon themselves except everyone who joins my team who don't even care about pokémon themselves and if that wasn't enough you must pay a fortune to survive? Logic? And Malva wy isn't she arrested for being a team flare member?And wy wasn't she underground like the rest were she just gonna die herself too? And almost nothing about the legendary and how it was stuck in the machine and It suddenly awakens and wants to be your friend?

Elite Four:
    Since gen 5 the elite four was also a joke. The fact that you could battle them in any order made them even easier and that they only had 4 pokémon. But at least in gen 5 you could rebattle them with a full team and higher lvl's. Still I liked the elite four before gen 5. That they were ranked from weakest to strongest and mostly of the time when you reached the elite four your pokémons were at the same lvl as the first elite four and the champion had like +10 lvl so it made it way more challenging than now. Well the champion was oké but nothing more.

Post game:
    There was almost nothing to do besides the looker quest(wich was pretty fun) and 1 new town wich had the battle maison. You could rebattle gym leaders the elite four and the champion in the chateau with increased level but it was random and no full team. No 2nd round for the elite four. And the mega stone hunt and 3 legendaries wich 2 were from kanto. It was really lacking in post game and the only thing i could do was prepare for online battles and filling dex.

Mega's:
    I don't have a problem with the idea of mega's but i am angry at some design's wich look really ugly compared to the original. Manectric that fur looks rideculous. Scizor and Heracross became robots and don't look natural anymore. Not enough mega's or unfair treatment over other pokémon.

Things I would have liked:
    Nintendo knows that a majority of the people that play pokemon are actually loyal fans but pokémon is also supposed to be a kid's game so I understand that it shouldn't be to hard to play out the game. But seriously wy don't they make a mode that is suitable for the long time playing people and make pokémon how it actually should be. I want multiple challange modes.

Easy:
    AI is not so smart low amount of pokémon on trainers and gym leaders. How the game atm is.

Normal:
    I really think they should make the first gym already have at least 3 pokémons. And increase the number by 1 every new gym leader. Late game trainers should have full teams also elite fours should also have full teams come on they are the elite four they should have a full team. Also limited amount of uses of items in battle because it won't be a challenge then if your opponent can only heal 4x and you almost infinite. And no revives, Because that is the same as cheating. So you can register like 4 items for use in a battle. Excluding wild battles.

Hard: increased lvl of trainer's pokemon and Better AI than normal. Extra pokémon on team. And of course same as normal limited amount of uses in battle and hold items for gym leaders, rivals, late game trainers,Elite four/champion,high ranking villians.

Pokemon Master:
    First gym should have 5/6 pokémon with each pokemon holding a hold item. More increase in level. Even better AI(like Smartest as possible)Already EV trained pokémon. Trainers should have At least 3 pokémon and mid game 6 also with hold items and ev trained and even recovery items like gym leaders/elite four.

All in All I really didn't like the plot, characters and the diffeculty of the game.

What you said is the same stuff I dislike about the games. The humour in this game is embarrassing, there are tutorials for EVERYTHING, the rivals have a generic personality, the difficulty is very low, even without exp share it's easy, although I do like the graphical style of the game, I would have preffered a Colosseum/XD graphical style, there is no excuse as to why the post-game is too short, I mean this is on 3Ds after all so I assume that there is a lot more storage space for content, hopefully there will be DLC in the future like a new region or islands or something. I like pokemon X and Y but I expected more from them.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    They did make it rather obvious with the way he dressed.

And his hair. Don't forget his flame-like hair.

I hated everything.

I just love how you started with that. {XD}

Even I felt like it was seriously lacking, and the last ones I played were first and second gen, with a little bit of fifth gen, just enough to catch me up to speed on some of the new pokes.
    Less than 70 new pokemon in X/Y, when there's usually, what, over 100 new ones?
    Super easy battles, even without the exp. share.
    You get 4 pseudo-rivals with no personality that never really do anything except remind you that part of the game's budget was wasted spent on adding them in to teach you all about the magic of friendship. Seriously, how many times does Shauna show up just to say, "I'm really glad we're friends. :3"
    And the plot.. There was a plot? Like, there was a point to this, aside from the gym leaders? I must have missed it, it didn't really come up in the regular dialogue regarding how happy everyone is that we're friends. :v

I think the only thing I really liked.. was that I could catch Zapdos again. Because he's always been my favorite. Even most of the pokemon I liked that I thought were 'new' were actually 4th and 5th gen pokemon I hadn't come across before, lol.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • My only gripe about Shauna, Tierno and Trevor is that you only battle Shauna and Trevor twice, and Tierno three times. It would have been nice if they had been daily battles in addition to what they do for you post-game.

And I'm disappointed that the last half of the Gyms didn't have more than 3 Pokemon just to up the challenge a bit.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    The scary house. In Generation Four we had the Old Chateau, my favorite to this day. In Generation Five, we had the whole Darkrai thing with the girl. And in Generation Six? An old man asks you to pay him so you can hear a crap ghost story. *sigh* More effort, Game Freak. Please.

Haha, I've got plenty of problems with these games but I couldn't agree more about this one. This might be such a minuscule thing to complain about, but when I got to the house for the first time, I was soooo expecting something awesomely ghoulish to happen... like encountering a ghost or a new Ghost type Pokemon, just SOMETHING better than hearing some lame story and being asked to pay for it. That is ridiculously lame. I hope the next game does more with place.

The story as a whole was okay though. I didn't expect much at all to begin with. I'd love to hear more about the Kalos Wars that took place in the past. Would be amazing if next game, we got to play a flashback or something. Wish we got to battle AZ some more post-game. Really wish we could have done more post-game as a whole lol. They could have done some really cool stuff post-game, maybe go even further into the whole Kalos Wars and learning more through side-quests of sorts.

I liked having four rivals, all being kinda different from one another. Just a shame the main rival wasn't challenging at all.

The Gym Leaders all kinda sucked. I didn't find one appealing in terms of design, and their teams all sorta kinda sucked. They really need to do more with the actual teams the leaders use. A good start would be to use more than 2-3 Pokemon. The gym designs were cool though.

E4 was cool the first time, second time around sucked. I can't believe they didn't bother increasing their team levels after the first playthrough. Just doesn't make sense they'd skip this.

Finally, I honestly wish they had done more with the concept of Mega-Evolutions. They're cool, for sure. I enjoy most of the designs. I just wish more people had Megas that we could battle against. I mean come on... there were what, three people you could battle against that had Megas? Little lame. Each E4 member should have had one if you ask me. Of course, story-wise, they still seemed to be relatively new in terms of discovery so that sorta explains that.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2014
    Pokemon Y was really short and easy. The 4 Rivals was cool at the start but it seemed they lacked competition, would be better if they had stronger Pokemon and wanted to fight more. We need a much harder game and make it long with more regions to go to. Maybe Pokemon X Y is just a stepping stone for something bigger, they were just testing out the 3ds feature for Pokemon and next game will be amazing.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I really don't understand why they made the games easier. I'm not saying make them HARDER or make them FOR older people like us, I just don't understand why they are PAINFULLY easy. We played RSE and RBYG as kids, right? The story was more interesting, the gyms had more than 3 Pokemon, the regions weren't extremely linear, the Elite Four had 5 Pokemon, etc etc while I do appreciate some features from newer generations like the EXP share (although it does make the game pretty easy, I like it better this way) I don't like how they're making it all super easy. Are kids nowadays stupider than we were? I don't get it. Even my 10 year old brother, basically the target audience of Pokemon rn, thought it was easy. He still thought it was fun and wasn't complaining about the easiness, but he still noticed it oddly enough.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2014
    I want to add that who roller skates on grass? Also i think the roller blade rails set up around the region are corny.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I also forgot to mention this: Diantha should've been more involved in the story. She only appeared twice before the League. I think it would've been nice if she showed up in the Team Flare HQ, only to learn about Lysandre's true colors.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    The gym leaders and elite four were way too easy imo. Also the ending with AZ was so cheesy omg. I loved the looker storyline after the e4 though. Wish there was a bit more to do besides that. Whatever the battle place is called when you beat the game is so boring.

Years
  • I also forgot to mention this: Diantha should've been more involved in the story. She only appeared twice before the League. I think it would've been nice if she showed up in the Team Flare HQ, only to learn about Lysandre's true colors.

I have to agree with you, Diantha surely had a lack of appearances especially when compared to most of the other Champions. The Gym Leaders (barring Korrina, Wulfric and to a lesser extent, Viola) weren't really seen much outside of their Gyms unlike most previous Gym Leaders. And nope Battle Chateau doesn't count here.

Years
  • I'm only half way through the game and I can tell game freak half ***ed this gen. Almost everything about it screams lazy money grab. I love the game don't get me wrong, but he story is seriously lacking despite the good additions to the game. Some moves are just like...why did they put this in here? It's like they made moves just for the sake of making them and didn't even consider what good they would do. The names of some moves just make me want to punch whoever came up with them.

It seems to me game freak has lost their patience for making Pokemon games actually good now. I pray they don't make another for at least 2-3 years. Otherwise it'll make the franchise even more stale and it'll end up like call of duty.

I think game freak just needs to drop the franchise, and start something fresh. They've been at the Pokemon game for close to 20 years now. It's a beloved series, but it has to end sometime. Because if they drag it out any further, there's only so many Pokemon games we will all buy and spend our lives playing before we realize game freak and Nintendo have been dragging out the series just to make money off our nostalgia and die hard love for the series.

Last edited:
    Back