• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halcyon

peace and serenity
    Years
    I wouldn't want Pokabu to change its name.
    I feel that adding a 'pig' to its name make it sounds that it isn't young anymore. :'(
    It is more fitting to Chaobu.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I was just thinking;

Batara and Tartula for Bachura/Denchura.

Batara: Tarantula + baby. Reverse it and...

Tartula: Tarantula + Batara. Reverse it and...

For Denchura, Voltula works too surprisingly. XD;

But I like Batara for Bachura, so...!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    ...yup, it's pretty obvious that you like it, but instead of saying that, perhaps suggest another possible Tsutaaja name?

"Slimb" actually makes sense, too, because it's a snake with limbs basically and the s stands for snake plus limb? Boring, yeah I know, but it's likely too!
    Yeah sounds boring and kind of lame
    Another name for it could be Snavy, or maybe Ivyis.

yaya0

は真優勝
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2015
    Smugleaf.

(We didn't start the flame war! Why are you asking?)

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
    Baruchai - Vullass (Vulture + lass)
    Barujiina - Skulture

Washibon - Eagladd (Eagle + ladd)
    Wargle - Wargle

Nageki (the red one) - Jujimbo (Jujitsu + Jimbo)
    Dageki (the blue one) - Karatim (Karate + Tim)

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
    Years
    V Gen Official Romanisations

Today the official romanisations of V Gen Pokèmon were released.

I found it on Serebii.net via this link.

A vast number of Pokèmon were unchanged, some other were horribly translated.
    Like Kurimugan as Crimgan, or Warubiaru as Waruvial.
    And there is no Smugleaf :(

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Although it is true that the romanisations were released, I think discussion will eventually go in the direction of "hey will these be the English names?", "I liked their original names more", or anything relating to English name speculation. For that reason, to avoid posts which'll best be suited to the English name speculation (and because some of those names are likely indications to be English names), merged with English name speculation thread.

Years

I read through that list, and... really? I mean, Crimgan and Waruvial are one thing, because those are legitimate alternate Romanizations, but "Shinpora" (replaces Shinbora) is just... wrong. There is absolutely no way to get a "po" sound out of ボ. It's just not possible. Then again, there is absolutely no way to get Zorua from ゾロア either...

Still, I expect that even if some of the names DON'T change during localization, they will at least get different spellings!

Years

I don't quite get the point of having "official" romanizations since they won't be used in the translations of the games. And I don't like that they are inconsistent on how they romanize, like how they have Purotooga but Abagoura. And if they're going to take liberties with names like Waruvial (legitimate though it may be) why didn't they also change ones like Baibanira to Baivanilla?

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I don't really know much about romanizations and the Japanese language... :(

Jalorda seems a bit weird to get used to from Jaroda, and Chaoboo looks very odd as opposed to Chaobu...

Crimgan sounds cool...I think the previous form was written as Kurimugan, or something like that?

IanDonyer

Time to kick ass? Definitely.
    Years
    Some names i came up with:

Yooterri - Infanterri (Infantry [Infant] + Terri)
    Haderia - Milliterri (Millitary + Terri)
    Muurando - Artiliterri (Artillery + Terri)

Yanappu - Sproutape (Sprout + Ape)
    Yanakki - Foliape (Foliage + Ape)

Boappu - Magmape (Magma + Ape)
    Baokki - Flaumbape (Flaumbe + Ape)

Hiyappu - Hydrape (Hydro + Ape)
    Hiyakki - Cascape (Cascade + Ape)

Koromori - Cardibat (Cardiac + Bat)
    kokoromori - Barythmia ( Bat + Arythmia)

Abagoora - Glapagoise (Gallapagos + Tortoise) gallapagoise is to long so i shortened it

Baruchai - Torture - (pun on torture)
    Barujiina - Reapture - (pun on rapture, also Reap + Vulture)

I support every single one of these. These sound AMAZING. Got some real creativity there, buddy.

Also: I don't care what anyone says, I'm naming my Tsutarja Smugleaf when B/W comes out in English!

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    Urugamosu is much better than the "Ulgamoth" it has become. What's with that?

I hope the name used in the English games isn't much different from the 'literal' translation of the name. Something like Urgamoth would be great, though Vulcamoth would be fine, too.

I agree with fenyx4 about Jaroda's 'new' name; really weird, to say the least... though I'm glad that Futachimaru's name has remained the same.

I'll probably just rename the Pokemon to the ones I'd feel more comfortable with, though; for example, Chillarmy just sounds weird... Chiramii is much better, though I don't mind Chillachino as much as I'd have expected to. It at least doesn't look stupid, like Chillarmy does with the last four characters...

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years

I hope the name used in the English games isn't much different from the 'literal' translation of the name. Something like Urgamoth would be great, though Vulcamoth would be fine, too.

I agree with fenyx4 about Jaroda's 'new' name; really weird, to say the least... though I'm glad that Futachimaru's name has remained the same.

I'll probably just rename the Pokemon to the ones I'd feel more comfortable with, though; for example, Chillarmy just sounds weird... Chiramii is much better, though I don't mind Chillachino as much as I'd have expected to. It at least doesn't look stupid, like Chillarmy does with the last four characters...

LOL, Chilachino sounds fun to say! I'd actually prefer Chiramii for Chiramii's English name, followed by Chillarmy as my 2nd preference for it.

Years

Ulgamoth is a completely legit romanization. The characters can be broken down like this, with all possible transliterations listed.

ウ - u, oo (oo is outdated though, so "u" is the only option)
    ル - ru, lu, r, l
    ガ - ga
    モ - mo
    ス - su, thu, s, th

And it's pretty obvious that モス should be rendered as "moth," so a full list of options would be:
    Urugamoth
    Urgamoth
    Ulugamoth
    Ulgamoth

None of which really look elegant.

Hourglasshero

General Concepts' Designer
    Years
    Tsutaaja = Aspleaf
    Pokabu = Pyroink
    Mijumaru = Shellott
    Mamepato = Dovely