• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
Years
  • i dont like how they changed belles name. if i could i would so change it back. bianca while i know it means white in some language (i think) sucks. its just blah.

The Lord of Smug
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    Sydian!

Anyways, in the way of names, the best ones are Garrodor, Volcarona, and The entire Reuniclus family.

Anyone else notice that Alomomola is now tied with Feraligatr for the most syllables in one name? Before, it was just Feraligatr.

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years
  • It seems Game Freak is trying to be either real creative this time around...most of these names are some of the most strangest, wacky, obvious, and fun-sounding names for Pokemon I've heard...and I LOVE that!
    Also enjoy reading all of your posts on trying to decipher these names. Some are straightforward and kind of obvious, and others are quite complicated. Are there certain names here that closely resemble past generation names as well? I might have overlooked...(and I'm lazy:P)

Carracosta

Break that shell!
    Years
  • Gigalith is a great edit of a romanisation (adding in that 'l' there makes it pretty awesome)

@Sonic, most of the names are pretty deep and good. Then you get Sawk and Throh. Wtfhhhh

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I've grown to like alot of the english names now, even though it has been 1/2 days, still think Cofagrigus sounds a little odd though but I like his design!

Garde

Fallen Angel
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2015
    Some of the English names I really like...especially Chandelure. But others...
    ugh, why couldn't they just let them be, or was that really the best they could come up with?

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I figured out what "Yamask" is made up of....since I don't think I've seen many people talk about it.

I believe it's a combination of "Yama" and "Mask"

In Vedic mythology, there is a deity called Yama who is the lord of death. Yama is also considered to be the first mortal who died. (That fits in with how Yamask used to be human)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yama

At first the name seemed really random, but now I have an explanation so I think it's pretty cool. :)

Last edited:

PalkiaSpace

Panda Hugger <(^_^)>
    Years
  • Is it just that I memorized all the romanisations or are some of the names pretty complex for Pokemon? I know it's going to be a pain for me to memorize Cofagrigus, Reuniclus, and Axew. I can't even pronounce some of them. IT could be I'm just stupid though Which it probably is. Which I know it is. :P

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2011
    Is it just that I memorized all the romanisations or are some of the names pretty complex for Pokemon? I know it's going to be a pain for me to memorize Cofagrigus, Reuniclus, and Axew. I can't even pronounce some of them. IT could be I'm just stupid though Which it probably is. Which I know it is. :P

I can't pronounce this one right here correctly yet, and I'm pretty sure I'll be forgetting how to pronounce it multiple times in my life after Black and White comes out in English. However, after figuring out what a mess it is (in terms on where they got parts of the names from) and what the Pokemon is, the name makes sense... at least to me.

Jaiyke

Dog Wizard
    Years
  • I like them all ^^
    except.... Sawk e.e GO SAWK! 8D gross...
    hmm I get the part of Cofagrigus with the whole Sarcophagus and Coffin
    but the gri part of the name confuses me... maybe Grin? or Angry ... or Aggressive @-@
    I dunno~ ^^;

Years
  • Cofagrigus may possibly be a mix of coffin, sarcophagus, and egregious. Desukaan seems to be a combination of デス desu meaning death, and 棺 kan meaning coffin.

Bulbapedia is your friend.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2011
    The English names seem pretty neat, but some of them will be impossible to memorize for me (Cofagrigus being the most obvious example here).

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2011
    Cofagrigus
    Coffin/Sarcophagus Pokemon. Name origin is between Coffin, Sarcophagus, & Egregious
    Coffin + Sarcophagus + Eregious = Confagrigus = A mess.

Hieroglyphics
    Egyptian form of ancient writing. Was composed of Pictograms, Ideograms, and Phonograms
    Pictograms + Ideograms + Phonograms = Hieroglyphics = A mess.

That's my intake, and why it actually matches it (because when I think of a Sarcophagus, I think of Mummies, which usually makes me think of Egypt. Blame stereotypes?)

Skara

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
    Years
  • Bisharp is by far one of my favorite names, and my favorite ever Pokemon.
    Conkeldurr's name is hilarious, and I'm loving it now.
    Volcarona sounds like an Alcoholic beverage.
    Hydreigon is ace, it combines Hydra and Dragon. It's perfect.
    Haxorus is epic, but sounds like a nickname for it because of Hax.
    Klang is weird and sounds like the alien from The Simpons.
    Kilnklang is ace yet odd.
    Serperior is AMAZING.
    Emboar is the best possible name, it's what I wanted
    Pignite: Fan-name much?
    Cofagrigus sounds like Regigigas with a cold.
    Vullaby is strange but adorable.

That's my opinion of some of the new names :P

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back