• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2012
    Oh God...so many of these are horrible. There are a few I like too, like Gigalith. They've got to learn that while some easily put together names like Sandile work, stuff like TRANQUILL does not. Seriously.

The Red Chain

Went ahead and spoiler-tagged since it's a huge list~.
    But yeah! Those are all my comments on the English names! I took out all the names that were kept from Japanese since there is no need to comment on those. XD

Oh and the monkeys since they are all pretty much self-explanatory.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I actually find it easier to memorize Scraggy from Zuruggu but moreover from that I always used to call it Pants anyway. ;x

I do agree though, after going through all the rumors, speculations and unconfirmed information since early 2010, it will take time getting adjusted to all of the confirmed English names.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • I like the name Alomomola. Bulbapedia broke it down for me: it comes from Aloha, Mom, and Mola Mola. So it would be pronounced....Al-Oh-Ma-Mo-La

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • I like the name Alomomola. Bulbapedia broke it down for me: it comes from Aloha, Mom, and Mola Mola. So it would be pronounced....Al-Oh-Ma-Mo-La

lol I wrote that article.

I actually find it easier to memorize Scraggy from Zuruggu but moreover from that I always used to call it Pants anyway. ;x

I do agree though, after going through all the rumors, speculations and unconfirmed information since early 2010, it will take time getting adjusted to all of the confirmed English names.

Agreed. I've been keeping too close of a check on the Japanese names and it'll be hard to associate the faces with new names :(

SargeantMajorKururu

Loves Pokemon Black
    Years
  • meh...

So those leaked names ARE real? That's cool, but one of the only names I don't like is Bouffalant. It sounds like Buffalo + Gallant to me. I know what a bouffant is, but I just was hoping for something like Bull + Afro or Buffalo + Afro.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • So those leaked names ARE real? That's cool, but one of the only names I don't like is Bouffalant. It sounds like Buffalo + Gallant to me. I know what a bouffant is, but I just was hoping for something like Bull + Afro or Buffalo + Afro.

lol Bufflafro sounds funny.
    As far as we know, only about a dozen of them are confirmed.

Years
  • I think a good name for Hitomonshi's evolution, the Lamp Pokemon, would be Tamptura. It's a play between it's Japanese name and the words 'lamp' and 'tempt' or 'temptation', since Shandera is known as the Temptation Pokemon, I thought maybe it's pre-evolve would be related to that too. :)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I think a good name for Hitomonshi's evolution, the Lamp Pokemon, would be Tamptura. It's a play between it's Japanese name and the words 'lamp' and 'tempt' or 'temptation', since Shandera is known as the Temptation Pokemon, I thought maybe it's pre-evolve would be related to that too. :)

But the English names are ~almost~ confirmed.

And that name just makes me think of Tempura... as in the food. XD Plus I do like the names that are still rumoured for Hitomoshi's line. :)

Years
  • You know...the moment I saw Serperior's name, I kinda got pissed. This Pokemon line looks so cool...but even in the storyline they suck, even with Perversity. And they have cool names to top it off.

THIS. ISN'T. FAIR. ;;

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
  • OK, after thinking about the English names... I've realized the other name origins for the legendaries. Landorus is a combination of Lando (pun of the Japanese pronouncation of rando, meaning 'Land') and rustle. Thundurus is a combination of thundur (pun on thunder) and rustle. As for Tornadus is a combination of tornado and dust.

But anyways, for anyone who is thinking about "Sawk", I'm pretty sure it is not pronounced "sock", I think it's actually pronounced the same way as you say "saw" and "c" sound at the end. I figured that out myself, just as soon as I realized Dewott was pronounced "Dew-ott" not "do what". xD

But yeah... I can already feel the Pokémon Company's loss... I do feel sorry for the staff there... they had such a short development time, I've read it in one of the articles. It says how they've had such a short development time and didn't get around into putting more things into the game. So I do assume they might have been lazy in some ways... other than that... I still do feel how this is going to impact on everyone... the only good feature in the game is the Dream World, that's about it. Once you've been around in there and been doing this and that... people will get sick and tired of the game after a while... except for the ones that battle and trade alot of course.

The Red Chain

But yeah... I can already feel the Pokémon Company's loss... I do feel sorry for the staff there... they had such a short development time, I've read it in one of the articles. It says how they've had such a short development time and didn't get around into putting more things into the game. So I do assume they might have been lazy in some ways... other than that... I still do feel how this is going to impact on everyone... the only good feature in the game is the Dream World, that's about it. Once you've been around in there and been doing this and that... people will get sick and tired of the game after a while... except for the ones that battle and trade alot of course.
    Honestly, I never really felt that lack of development during my play-through of White. I think it depends on your own personal perspective of effort and lazyness, but for me it had a good amount of things to do. Near the end it felt a bit rushed I admit, but really, it wasn't as bad as that article is making it sound. Try it out yourself if you get the chance! It really is a great addition to the Pokemon series, and I'm fully satisfied.

I think I finally picked out my favorite English names : Mienfoo and Mienshao.
    Something about how they flow and what they pun is great stuff. <3

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    OK, after thinking about the English names... I've realized the other name origins for the legendaries. Landorus is a combination of Lando (pun of the Japanese pronouncation of rando, meaning 'Land') and rustle. Thundurus is a combination of thundur (pun on thunder) and rustle. As for Tornadus is a combination of tornado and dust.

But anyways, for anyone who is thinking about "Sawk", I'm pretty sure it is not pronounced "sock", I think it's actually pronounced the same way as you say "saw" and "c" sound at the end.

I'm pretty sure that Landorus and stuff were just alterations to the Romanizations of the names. I mean, one of the translations for Landorus was Landlos, so I mean... and I dunno why the words "rustle" and "dust" would be a part of their names anyway; it seems like they don't fit them at all.

Alsoooo I'm pretty sure that it is indeed pronounced "sock", unless your pronunciation of "sock" is like "soh-ahk". A "saw" sound followed by a sharp "ck" sound at the end like you said basically is how you pronounce "sock"...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back