• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga One thing you hate about anime?

Mr. Meme

Me? Acting serious? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Years
  • For me, it's a long, long list of one pet peeve after the other. But one of the things I just can't stand are those stupid "Funny Anime Moments" videos, whose thumbnails are either:

A. A girl getting groped
    B. A girl being an idiot

What are your pet peeves about anime?

Years
  • For me, it's a long, long list of one pet peeve after the other. But one of the things I just can't stand are those stupid "Funny Anime Moments" videos, whose thumbnails are either:

A. A girl getting groped
    B. A girl being an idiot

What are your pet peeves about anime?

That's a gripe with YouTube videos, not anime.

I do not particularly enjoy when I can see where a comedy scene is going way further in advance than I would like, especially if it involves cringe humor.

Years
  • Pacing problems. I chalk it up primarily to the financial instability of the industry and never knowing if you'll ever get to a second season or whatever, but there seems to be a few anime that will completely rush the plot - especially in the last several episodes. Then you have a handful of others that draw it out unnecessarily.

As a whole though I love anime as a medium.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • Oh, that's easy: incest themes, including all the "but they're not related by blood so it's different and I'm in denial about what it means to have an adopted sibling" incest. I don't think it's a healthy fetish, and I don't care that it's out of vogue to call any fetish involving consenting teens or consenting adults unhealthy around here.

It's worst when I've been enjoying a new anime when suddenly Surprise! It's also about incest! When the anime's good enough and the incest is secondary to the main themes I don't think it's necessarily a deal breaker, but it never helps and it drastically limits the kinds of people I can recommend it to. I still love Garden of Sinners but man would I prefer it if Mikiya's younger sister didn't want to get in his pants. It helps that the characters in GoS are supposed to be kind of sick, but that doesn't change the matter that they're trying to appeal to a fetish.

tl;dr: incest fetishism is bad and it limits the potential audience for anime in a bad way.

Mr. Meme

Me? Acting serious? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Years
  • Oh, that's easy: incest themes, including all the "but they're not related by blood so it's different and I'm in denial about what it means to have an adopted sibling" incest. I don't think it's a healthy fetish, and I don't care that it's out of vogue to call any fetish involving consenting teens or consenting adults unhealthy around here.

It's worst when I've been enjoying a new anime when suddenly Surprise! It's also about incest! When the anime's good enough and the incest is secondary to the main themes I don't think it's necessarily a deal breaker, but it never helps and it drastically limits the kinds of people I can recommend it to. I still love Garden of Sinners but man would I prefer it if Mikiya's younger sister didn't want to get in his pants. It helps that the characters in GoS are supposed to be kind of sick, but that doesn't change the matter that they're trying to appeal to a fetish.

tl;dr: incest fetishism is bad and it limits the potential audience for anime in a bad way.

The modern Japanese have shown that they are straight-up incapable of pulling off any sort of romantic subplot with tact or grace: Incestual or not. At least one of the sides of the relationship is either an annoying imbecile or a perverse freak. That's how I see it, anyway.

Years
  • The modern Japanese have shown that they are straight-up incapable of pulling off any sort of romantic subplot with tact or grace: Incestual or not. At least one of the sides of the relationship is either an annoying imbecile or a perverse freak. That's how I see it, anyway.

It's more that those tend to sell with a specific demographic within Japan. There's plenty of shows and anime in Japan that have romance without either of those. And also without incest.

Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2016
    The only complaint I really have is unnecessary ecchi-ness. It's okay sometimes to throw it in there for some comedic effect, but when you're right in the middle of a great action-packed anime and there's just girls exposing themselves here and there for no reason at all, it's irritating.

Hate the whole imouto/oni-chan relationship thing too, I can't believe it's so popular in the culture, it's lowkey weird lol

Years
  • The only complaint I really have is unnecessary ecchi-ness. It's okay sometimes to throw it in there for some comedic effect, but when you're right in the middle of a great action-packed anime and there's just girls exposing themselves here and there for no reason at all, it's irritating.

Hate the whole imouto/oni-chan relationship thing too, I can't believe it's so popular in the culture, it's lowkey weird lol

Well that tends to happen when you're watching series targeted at thirsty teenage boys/young men.

... wait, what do you mean by that? Japan as a whole? Or the otaku subculture of Japan?

Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2016
    Well that tends to happen when you're watching series targeted at thirsty teenage boys/young men.

... wait, what do you mean by that? Japan as a whole? Or the otaku subculture of Japan?

Oh, I mean Otaku culture. I don't think that's a big theme in actual Japanese culture.

And yeah I understand they're just playing to demographics but in my eyes, too much fanservice can take a lot away from the plot. I know some people disagree heavily though

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • You just had to make it ONE thing, didn't you? Well, here you go.
    Judging from the shows I've dropped, probably fanservice. I just like a true and straight show to watch that doesn't need a look at a female's undergarments randomly. I don't care if it's in ecchi or whatever because it's to be expected, but I hate it when it detracts from the plot and makes me shake my head.

Even Haruhi's dub? D:

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • I really only watch anime for the show itself, not because it's anime (though I do like it as a medium). I think the in your face sex appeal of female characters is the thing I most dislike. I really don't mind if people are into that kind of thing and that's part of why they like anime, but it can be a bit distracting when you just want to see a plot unfold, you know?

Years
  • Never ending plot. Bleach, Naruto, One piece, DBZ. . . I get it. You get super duper strong, but there is always an even more super duper stronger mostest bestest betterer than you villain out there.

Back