• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Opinions on certain type match-ups

Years
  • Most of us think certain types deserve changes: maybe we are thrown off by a type having too many weaknesses or our favorite typing seems underwhelming offensively.
    Truthfully, some type match-ups make little sense, they follow a rather bizarre logic or are such simply for balancing purposes ( such as Dark, I'd say ).
    Well, when thinking about Pokemon, I find myself quite drawn by the different types and how I'd like them to be.

Here are some changes to types I think would fit:

Psychic resistant to Fairy ( I think Fairy needs to be nerfed down slightly, and Psychic seems to not be that great defensively, so this should aid it while not hindering Fairy too much; a reasoning/justification might be a skeptical mind would be rather dismissive of Fairies, hence resisting it )
    Steel resistant to Dark
    Fairy weak to Bug, Rock resistant to Bug
    Bug hits Ghost neutrally

What are you opinions on these?
    What would you like to change about type match-ups?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    I kinda agree on making Steel resist Dark again (it makes Aegislash slightly more ridiculous, but whatever, it's in Ubers already).

I also think that Rock should resist Electric and Bug, and be weak to Ice. Bugs don't exactly look like they can do much to solid rock, and I really doubt that zapping a rock would work well either. As for the Ice thing: frost weathering.

Years
  • Ice resistant to Grass and Water; Ice types really need a defensive boost as they're only resistant to itself with host of weaknesses.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I've always believed that it would make sense to have psychic-types be super-effective against water. If I'm not mistaken (hope I'm not), running-water blocks telepathy, which is one of the main points of psychics; if they go by this idea, things would indeed go along nicely. I suppose some of us might not understand from a glance, but definitely will once we look more into it.

Though, as far as competitive goes, I'm not sure if having another weakness would be good for psychic Pokémon. Most typing have carry two weaknesses at most. Some do have three--others even four--but in this category, there aren't many types; only one I'm able to think of right now is flying, which is super-effective against ice, electric, and rock.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Ashley, you mix things up xD it's Rock/Electric/Ice that are super effective against Flying, not he other way around.

pkmin3033

Flying being weak to Rock is weird...Ground resistance I can understand, because a flying-type can just take off, but you've got to throw a rock with extreme accuracy to be able to hit a fast moving target...maybe this harks back to the first anime episode where Ash smacks Spearow on the head. xD

Years
  • I can agree with you, but only partially.
    As I still think balance is an important aspect of the games, Flying types have to be weak to Rock types, but they should at least be immune to stealth rock...
    If they are flying in the first place, how can they be affected by an hazard which is dug in the ground? The move Gravity would also become more useful, enabling Flying types to get hit by it...

Years
  • Water rusts Steel so it should be supereffective against Steel. Bug should be not very effective against Dragon. Poison immune to Poison, maybe? And Steel to lose it's immunity to Poison and instead be resistant.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Poison immune to Poison, maybe? And Steel to lose it's immunity to Poison and instead be resistant.
    How do you poison metal though? But I agree that Poison being immune to itself makes sense. Poison types are already immune to the poison status effect, why not take it further?

Years
  • How do you poison metal though? But I agree that Poison being immune to itself makes sense. Poison types are already immune to the poison status effect, why not take it further?

Certain types of poisons can corrode metals, all the acids and alkalis, and some of the organic compounds too. Poison in Pokemon refers not just to venom, but poisons in general. "Poisoned" status could only mean 'poisoned due to a venom' which Steel could be still immune to.
    There is no reason to give Steel immunity to Acid, or Acid Spray, or Smog. If anything, Steel is the one which is most affected by acids.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Nah
    Years
  • I still think it would make some semblance of sense for Fairy to be weak against Ghost, that's a matchup i've felt does not bode well in the Fairy-type's favor.

And on the note of Steel vs Poison, Gastro Acid can hit Steel-types, so that does make you wonder.

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2015
    Scald should be supper effective against ice. However, since ice has enough weaknesses to worry about and most water types have access to scald that would be ruining ice pokemon.

Years
  • One that always bothered me, even as a kid, was the fact that Fire moves weren't super-effective against Poison-type Pokemon. Usually adding heat to chemicals is just asking for trouble, and when it comes to a poisonous gas filled Pokemon like Koffing, it should stand little to no chance against powerful Fire-type moves.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I've recently thought it would make sense when both Psychic and Dark were super effective against each other. Dark being strong to psychic represents dark as a common fear, which messes up the mind, represented by psychic. In Fighting > Dark, dark seems to be represented by evil instead. In this case, the psychics would be smart to avoid the nasty schemes of evil.

Daamiyan

Red's doppelganger
    Years
  • I've always thought that Grass types needed a little boost, I mean their terrible defensively, weak to 5 types when it's a mono type grass and offensively they aren't bad, but could be better. Grass need more resistances, I was sure when fairy released that grass might resist it, but no such luck. Competitvely people give up on grass pokemon alltogether. In some cases they just hinder other teams, but can't they be a little bit better. Grass should probably have resisted fairy, I just have some strange reason for wanting that.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    One that always bothered me, even as a kid, was the fact that Fire moves weren't super-effective against Poison-type Pokemon. Usually adding heat to chemicals is just asking for trouble, and when it comes to a poisonous gas filled Pokemon like Koffing, it should stand little to no chance against powerful Fire-type moves.
    *chemist pipes up*

Heat isn't necessarily a problem :3 Flames though! So many chemicals are extremely flammable.

This suddenly makes me think of the Poison type as the "Chemistry type", which is unexpectedly awesome.

Years
  • In the Pokemon anime, Koffing/Weezing have caused explosions because their gases came in contact with fire/electricity.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Personally, I'd make the following changes to the type chart:

-Make Ice resist Water, Bug, and Fairy
    -Make Psychic resist Fairy
    -Make Water weak to Poison
    -Make Steel resist Ghost once again
    -Make Bug do neutral damage against Fairy
    -Make a few more types weak to Dragon. Maybe Normal and Bug?
    -Maybe make Bug weak to Poison, and possibly make Grass take neutral damage from Poison to compensate

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • One that always bothered me, even as a kid, was the fact that Fire moves weren't super-effective against Poison-type Pokemon. Usually adding heat to chemicals is just asking for trouble, and when it comes to a poisonous gas filled Pokemon like Koffing, it should stand little to no chance against powerful Fire-type moves.

On the other side of the coin, many gases choke fire out, and certain chemicals extinguish them as well- such as the ones in fire extinguishers.

Back