• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Osama Bin Laden, Al-Qaeda mastermind, killed in Pakistan

Years
  • Do any of you guys know why he was given a muslim burial (at sea, drown you bastard) when he was, as Obama said, not a muslim but rather a mass murderer of muslims? Was he the former or latter?

Also, his eldest son and two couriers were killed in the firefight.

He was given a traditional burial in accordance with Muslim tradition to show that the people he terrorized wouldn't stoop to his level of depravity and cruelty. It's called being a decent human being.

Crystalized

Waiting For RSE Remake
    Years
  • Well, he was a mass murderer of Muslims so his body should have been incinerated at least in my opinion. Or be eaten by sharks.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Well, he was a mass murderer of Muslims so his body should have been incinerated at least in my opinion. Or be eaten by sharks.
    That would be high disrespectful and plain out rude. You shouldn't do something bad to the person (Even after they're dead) just because they did something bad. It's like an eye for an eye would just make the world blind. America wanted to be respectful, so they buried him that way. I would find it inexcusable if they ever did that.

Years
  • Great job, America! Now it's your turn to hide!

Great job, America! Now solve this one:
    Spoiler:

Great job, America! You finally put one of your greatest enemies to rest! But at what cost? The United States is at no less danger now than before Osama's death; he was only one man, and the role of "merciless terrorist organization leader" is easily replaceable. Sure, most believed that his death was well over the point of deserved, but this act of revenge is not worth the huge target the Americans painted on their heads by pursuing it. No terrorist organization is going to take lightly the murder of their leader.

On a side note, I was quite disappointed to see the gargantuan crowd outside the White House cheering and chanting at the death of a human being. It's acceptable to feel a thrill when your nation defeats its enemy, though this extreme unsportsmanlike behavior is along the lines of "In your face, dead man!" I'm not saying we should be respectful of a mass murderer, but I know my country has more class than that.

(This is my post from another forum by the way.)

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Going to be commenting on a few earlier posts later on, but I'm just dropping these two pieces of news:

1. Apparently, a man inadvertently live-tweeted the assault.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelo..._thelookout/man-live-tweeted-bin-ladens-death

2. A middle school teacher had pledged never to cut off his beard until Osama bin Laden was dead. I must admit, that is some long-standing resolve right there.

Screen-shot-2011-05-02-at-3.37.50-PM.png

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelo...le-school-teacher-finally-free-to-shave-beard

Source(s): Yahoo! News

Years

• Osama was human just like you and me, he deserved what he got, but partying and celebrating it is a bit too much, imo.

Except for the "deserved what he got" (who am I to determine someone's fate), I agree with this and everyone forgets this.

He's human, like all of us. What he did wasn't "human" but if you look at it, he had a life and a family, like we all do. And what most people are doing, they are simply stooping down to his level. Who's cold hearted now? :p

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013

Except for the "deserved what he got" (who am I to determine someone's fate), I agree with this and everyone forgets this.

He's human, like all of us. What he did wasn't "human" but if you look at it, he had a life and a family, like we all do. And what most people are doing, they are simply stooping down to his level. Who's cold hearted now? :p

I don't think most people care. If we got him a few years after the war started, maybe this argument would be more relevant, but after all this time its lost a bit of strength.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    donald_trump.jpg

Donald Trump would like to interrupt. He won't believe this until they show Osama's death certificate.

Last edited:
    Years
  • If you could remember Chas Licciardello from The Chaser, he portrayed Bin Laden.

Well, America's happy. I first heard about the Bin Laden assassination on Twitter.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Assuming a situation like 9.11 was also a product of our own mistakes? Probably not, really, because we don't not have the power to rebel in such a way, I don't think many countries other than the US do. But the US brought it upon themselves in many ways, especially by letting the CIA betray it's own citizens by training Hussein, and putting him in charge in the middle east, as a distraction to actually go and obtain oil.
    I find this post highly offensive.
    Not only is it highly offensive, it is also highly ignorant of Middle Eastern history and politics. By his logic, France and Russia were more than deserving of terrorist attacks for helping to support Saddam Hussein, seeing as they were Iraq's largest arms suppliers prior to and during the Iran-Iraq War. Hell, oil wasn't on anybody's mind when the Baathists first took power in Iraq all the way back in 1963. Keep in mind that Saddam Hussein assumed power in 1968 and that the first real oil crisis didn't occur until 1973 as a direct result of American support of Israel during the Yom Kippur War.

Hell, I don't even know why we're bringing up Iraq, which has only a tangential relationship to this topic at best. Bottom line is, Osama bin Laden is now truly in the company of such individuals as Adolf Hitler, Pol Pot, Idi Amin, and Augusto Pinochet.

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
  • As a non-American, I hope my opinion will hold as much water as those whom were affected by bin Laden's various attacks. Australians, from what I know now, are quite happy about it, but of course, not ecstatic like the Americans.

I'm glad "justice" has been done, but I'm not optimistic about how placidly al-Qaeda will react. I'm sure they'll retaliate (maybe not immediately), and Americans (and the world, you could say) rejoicing will only anger them further. I don't believe in capitol punishment at all, and I realise with bin Laden, his crimes go far beyond the realm of "crimes," but executing him... of course, if he were going to kill the soldiers involved before they shot, then it's different.

Killing him won't bring back the victims of the terrorist attacks, or make their pain go away. This is essentially revenge, and I don't like the idea of revenge being viewed as a positive thing. I can only hope that the Americans don't get attacked again.

EDIT:
    But the US brought it upon themselves in many ways, especially by letting the CIA betray it's own citizens by training Hussein, and putting him in charge in the middle east, as a distraction to actually go and obtain oil.

I suppose if I were American, or was affected by 9/11, I would be slightly offended- but mostly by your ignorance. One, you can't start a sentence with a conjunction, and two, more of a side note on my part, I hope you don't actually think bin Laden and Hussein were linked! Dude, bin Laden labelled Hussein "an infidel." I'm sure bin Laden wanted to support a man whom he perceives as an infidel.

Hell, I don't even know why we're bringing up Iraq, which has only a tangential relationship to this topic at best.

Indeed. =/

Last edited:

Crystalized

Waiting For RSE Remake
    Years
  • That would be high disrespectful and plain out rude. You shouldn't do something bad to the person (Even after they're dead) just because they did something bad. It's like an eye for an eye would just make the world blind. America wanted to be respectful, so they buried him that way. I would find it inexcusable if they ever did that.

I'm not largely disagreeing with you here, but I would think that his body would be preserved/torched/whatever by the US government. I don't really see it as a huge issue, and you are probbably right Charizard.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    As a non-American, I hope my opinion will hold as much water as those whom were affected by bin Laden's various attacks. Australians, from what I know now, are quite happy about it, but of course, not ecstatic like the Americans.

I'm glad "justice" has been done, but I'm not optimistic about how placidly al-Qaeda will react. I'm sure they'll retaliate (maybe not immediately), and Americans (and the world, you could say) rejoicing will only anger them further. I don't believe in capitol punishment at all, and I realise with bin Laden, his crimes go far beyond the realm of "crimes," but executing him... of course, if he were going to kill the soldiers involved before they shot, then it's different.

You have just as much of a right to your opinion as us Americans, don't worry. :3

While I wish there had been another way to secure Osama, I do understand that the soldiers must have felt it necessary to do what they did. I mean, considering he used his own wife as a shield, I don't think he'd have many qualms about killing American soldiers. It's a solemn action that shouldn't be taken lightly, but it was necessary imo.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2011

^ That.

It's funny how many times I have to use this quote in this day and age-

"Compassion is a weakness your enemies will not share"

"Exactly, that's why it's so important. It separates us from them."

I'm reminded of the scene in Pokemon: Mewtwo Returns when Mewtwo walks into the clasp of Team Rocket to save his pals.

Years
  • Also, it was quite surprising to see that a lot of people didn't even know Osamas ethnicity. I've had about 10 kids today say that they're sorry for my loss (as a joke) and I have to tell the each time that Osama is not Indian.
    They thought that Osama was an Indian? >_> Jeez. Most Indians don't even care about the news of Osama being dead and nobody even talked about it in school. Reason? We've got a nation right to the west of us very well known to harbour terrorists which need to be dealt with. u_u

Ces soirees-la

Hello, Hello
    Years
  • They thought that Osama was an Indian? >_> Jeez. Most Indians don't even care about the news of Osama being dead and nobody even talked about it in school. Reason? We've got a nation right to the west of us very well known to harbour terrorists which need to be dealt with. u_u

100% with you on that, it's ludacris that he was set up right across the road from a military academy, and an hour from Pakistanis capital.

Bay

Years
  • Huh, he died on the same day as Adolf Hitler.
    Both Adolf and Osama's deaths were announced on May 1st, but yeah it's already mentioned Adolf died on April 30th.

Anyways, pretty much my two cents on this is I'm still a bit conflicted over how I should feel about this. When I first heard about his death a couple days ago, it was quite a shock to say the least. However, I get overwhelmed when people say "justice is served" because this war is far from over and I'm sure retaliations will come around soon. I however can understand at least people saying that for those that are really affected by 9/11. To me Osama's death is a step forward but at the same time there is still a lot of work to be done.

Slightly off topic, but the oddest thing is I just found out of my friends' boyfriend was part of that secret operation. D:

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    I am very glad we finally got rid of Osama Bin Laden. We been trying to catch him since he attacked us back in September 11, 2001. Well he did other stuff before that, but this was more serious. We lost a lot of lives and he went into hiding. We couldn't catch him! But now thanks to our military we got the justice that we needed! He deserved of what he got! Good riddance! I know this won't end the war, and his "followers" will try to get us. But if we get to them before they to us...we got a shot of winning! And finally our troops we be able to come home at long last.

I was very happy when I heard the news that he was dead. I did cheer. But I know it isn't over yet. It is only the beginning. But I could say that we took out the main person of the group, and I know someone else will take his place. We just need to get him too.

Back