• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overpowered Pokémon abilities

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Abilities from past gens that I thought it needed it were already nerfed (like Protean and Disguise) so I'd say these ones definitely need a nerf:

Electromorphosis
    Zero to Hero
    Good as Gold

That's ignoring:
    Overpowered Abilities that are fine on the Pokémon they belong to, such as Steam Engine, Wonder Guard, and Huge Power.
    Those that are exclusive to certain major legendaries, paradoxes, etc. Should probably get a nerf, but it's not so bad as long as they aren't available to "regular" Pokémon.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Finds it hard to separate the ability from the Pokemon. Considers Huge Power overpowered on Garchomp, but not Medicham. Also never actually faced...any(?) of these abilities in-game, barring a scripted fight.

• Zero to Hero on Palafin. Way too many stats. Removed Battle Bond, only to turn around and make Version 2.0.
    • Good as Gold on Gholdengo. Did a Steel/Ghost with 550 base stats really need this? Should have gotten a bad ability like Defeatist. Appreciates the drawback of friendly moves (like Heal Pulse and Helping Hand) failing too. Does not counterbalance it enough.
    • Orichalcum Pulse / Hadron Engine. Totally needed to give legendaries base 135 offenses, an extra super-effective move, a +1 to their offense, AND a free terrain for that attack (for Miraidon)? Already considered Drought and Electric Surge good abilities.
    • Purifying Salt on Garganacl. Overshadows its other abilities so hard. Sits on a lower power tier than the above, however.

Also, from past generations:
    • Gorilla Tactics on Galarian Darmanitan. Deals too much damage. Crushes so much during the main story with Choice Banded Galarian Darmanitan. Obtains that shortly after finding Galarian Darumaka. Or, alternatively, the Choice Scarf shortly before catching it.
    • Parental Bond on Mega Kangaskhan. Mostly because of Power-Up Punch. Cannot go too wrong with double-flinch Rock Slides either, though.
    • Desolate Land on Primal Groudon. Nullify its double-weakness AND let it hit harder? What could go wrong?

Feels a bit bothered by type immunity abilities like Levitate. Views them as overpowered in that they outshine the other ability options usually. Admittedly depends if it was already resistant, neutral, or weak to that type. Does not compare to the above abilities, though.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    From a competitive standpoint stuff like Shadow Tag and Arena Trap simply should not exist, and (at least in Gens 6 and 7) there was a reason why Primal Groudon was pretty much the undisputed king of Ubers after Mega Ray was banned and Desolate Land played a part in that.

These days though there's not really anything that screams OP to me, but that's because I no longer really engage with Pokemon in a competitive manner, and hardly care if most of the game is easy for me.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    Moody is one of the most hilariously broken abilities ever made, and I feel like it was made specifically to bring those "Bidoof is god" memes to life. Just because of that I wouldn't nerf it, but it not being able to raise your evasion and accuracy in Generation VIII is an interesting change; it's a nerf in that you obviously can't raise them anymore, and it's a buff in that it's easier for you to get the stat boosts you actually want.

Some nerfworthy abilities in my opinion are Orichalcum Pulse and Hadron Engine. Nintendo's handling of box legendaries is strange, in that they make overpowered ones, then nerf them the next Generation, while simultaneously creating legendaries that are even more broken. Koraidon is bascially Groudon and Zacian fused together, and even then it has nothing on Miraidon, who gets an actual STAB boost from Electric Terrain.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Opportunist is a very overwhelming ability, one shouldn't take lightly and I avoid using stats-boosting moves when fighting the psychic gym for that matter.
    Desolated land it makes me laugh when the opponent trying to one-shot you with water-move, but proven they can't it's really strong that makes Groundon weak to one-type and not water.
    Electromorphosis it turns pain to power, be glad you are faster than that eletric amphibian

Days
    • Age 16
    • He-Him
    • Hoenn
    • Seen Jun 15, 2024
    My guess is because Power and Speed creep of the newer generations after all, If every pokemon was as good as spidops the game would be stale. Unfortunatley way too many Modern Pokemon are utterly broken in every way shape or form.

Lets compare some good Old pokemon abilities and compare them to a few Broken modern abilities.

(Old in my opinion is gen 3 or lower)

Intimidate: Lowers the attacking stage of BOTH opposing pokemon by one each time the user enters the field.

Shadow Tag: Prevents opposing pokemon from switching out (With the exception of ghost type pokemon and Moves that can switch the user out like U-Turn and Parting Shot.)

Now lets look at some BROKEN modern abilities

Shadow Shield: Pokemon with this ability take HALF of the damage they would normally recieve (At full HP)

Unseen Fist: Hits through protect, Need i say more?

As One: Gives Calyrex a reward for KOing you and also fanum taxes your berries

Minds eye: Basically Keen Eye but with the added bonus that normal types can hit ghost and fighting types.

I know there are also more Good "old" Pokemon abilities and a lot lot lot lot lot more broken Modern abilities but I would not be able to list them all.

Please put more Broken old and modern Pokemon abilities in the comments :3

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    Huge Power was ridiculously good for me for Azumarill in older playthroughs, specifically for RSE. It was really good to have a 100 base power Attacker
    Huge power actually boosts the actual in game stat and not the base stats, and usually it's more than 100 base power.

Days
    • Age 16
    • He-Him
    • Hoenn
    • Seen Jun 15, 2024
    Huge power actually boosts the actual in game stat and not the base stats, and usually it's more than 100 base power.
    Huge Power wasn't really broken On Azumarill, It was BROKEN on Mega Mawile because nothing could stop it, and in its prime (gen 6) We had no Incineroar to stop it. No wonder its usage rate plummeted in 2017-2019 when it was Legal. We had Incineroar!

KOZSTAR

Diabolical
    Years
    Okay, can we talk about Water Bubble for a second? If I'm correct the only one who has it is Araquanid, which like okay at least it's signature, but still... the ability has three effects:
    Doubles water power - Adaptability effect
    Can't be burnt - Araquanid is a physical attacker, so this is deceptively important
    Fire damage is halved - Araquanid would normally take neutral damage to fire, now it resists... couple that with it's very respectable special defense, aaaand you probably need to nerf the ability.

Back