• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overrated Characters

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    They're out there. Those characters that everyone loves for some reason, but probably don't deserve the praise. Which video game characters do you feel are overrated and people need to stfu about?

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Link, Cloud, and Sephiroth. Done, topic over. Seriously, I don't even need to explain why these guys are beyond overrated.

Years
  • Lightning.

Yeah, I literally do not know a SINGLE PERSON who likes her, and she's still overrated.

This! I don't understand the hype about her either. She's never been a likeable character to me; just seems bland, expressionless and boring majority of the time >>;; That's why I could not stand XIII, and currently have no plans in getting Lightning Returns; the only tolerable game in the series was XIII-2 because she was out of the picture...

Yukari

Yeah, I literally do not know a SINGLE PERSON who likes her, and she's still overrated.
    This! I don't understand the hype about her either. She's never been a likeable character to me; just seems bland, expressionless and boring majority of the time >>;; That's why I could not stand XIII, and currently have no plans in getting Lightning Returns; the only tolerable game in the series was XIII-2 because she was out of the picture...

Look! People are already stating my choice. I really didn't care for Lightning at all, She just seemed like a really weak character. :\

Link, Cloud, and Sephiroth. Done, topic over. Seriously, I don't even need to explain why these guys are beyond overrated.
    Well... I'd disagree with you, Cloud is a very unique, memorable, and just plain interesting character. For a number of reasons really, he's an excellent, round, and dynamic character.. And Sephiroth... What do I need to say? He is an excellent antagonist. He's threatening and seems almost psychotic. And things just get personal once he kills Aerith, I mean he's the guy you just love to hate! That's why everybody loves (and hates) the two.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Well... I'd disagree with you, Cloud is a very unique, memorable, and just plain interesting character. For a number of reasons really, he's an excellent, round, and dynamic character.. And Sephiroth... What do I need to say? He is an excellent antagonist. He's threatening and seems almost psychotic. And things just get personal once he kills Aerith, I mean he's the guy you just love to hate! That's why everybody loves (and hates) the two.
    Something can be overrated yet still good, I never explicitly said that Cloud was a bad character. I just don't think that he is "THE BEST CHARACTER OF ALL TIME" like others rave on about. Is he a likeable character with decent character development? Yes, of course, I don't deny that. But to say that he is one of the best character of all video games to deserve all the praise he gets is hard for me to swallow.

As for Sephiroth? He's a maniacal murderer with a god complex. Does he have his reasons for that? Sure. But that doesn't instantly make him a fantastic antagonist that all video games should all strive towards having. Same thing with Cloud, I don't believe Sephiroth truly deserves all the praise he gets especially when Kefka did a better job at being the psychotic villain.

Yukari

Something can be overrated yet still good, I never explicitly said that Cloud was a bad character. I just don't think that he is "THE BEST CHARACTER OF ALL TIME" like others rave on about. Is he a likeable character with decent character development? Yes, of course, I don't deny that. But to say that he is one of the best character of all video games to deserve all the praise he gets is hard for me to swallow.

As for Sephiroth? He's a maniacal murderer with a god complex. Does he have his reasons for that? Sure. But that doesn't instantly make him a fantastic antagonist that all video games should all strive towards having. Same thing with Cloud, I don't believe Sephiroth truly deserves all the praise he gets especially when Kefka did a better job at being the psychotic villain.

It this point it's just a mater of personal opinion.

Years
  • Look! People are already stating my choice. I really didn't care for Lightning at all, She just seemed like a really weak character. :\

Weak as in physicality-wise, or there wasn't enough within her personality to actually intrigue the audiences? I honestly have no idea why people are so taken with her; anyone who does find her to be an interesting character, please feel free to give me some insight (: As sarcastic as that might sound, I'm actually curious as to why individuals are infatuated.

Yukari

Weak as in physicality-wise, or there wasn't enough within her personality to actually intrigue the audiences? I honestly have no idea why people are so taken with her; anyone who does find her to be an interesting character, please feel free to give me some insight (: As sarcastic as that might sound, I'm actually curious as to why individuals are infatuated.
    For clarification, I meant the latter. I really found her to be an uninteresting character, but that's my opinion.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • Duke Nukem was one of these before game characters having personality was even a thing.

He just quoted movies a bunch and somehow people ate it up.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Deadpool. Everyone I ever talk to just raves on and on about him. I haven't played the game but I watched a couple of Let's plays and he was just really annoying imo.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I only played Mass Effect 2, so maybe the impact is lost on me, but the only characters I could find myself caring for were Garrus and Legion. The writing wasn't god awful, but every other character was irritating or just incredibly dull for a variety of reasons.

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    Kratos, from the God of War franchise. There is so little to say about him, yet he's made out to be a deep, morally ambiguous tragic anti-hero when in fact he's just a bloodthirsty psychopath with a single face/emotion - rage. That's all there is to him. That people have praised his character is beyond me, because there is absolutely nothing there.

Last edited:

WildEagle

Call me, Your Royal Freshness
    Years
  • This! I don't understand the hype about her either. She's never been a likeable character to me; just seems bland, expressionless and boring majority of the time >>;; That's why I could not stand XIII, and currently have no plans in getting Lightning Returns; the only tolerable game in the series was XIII-2 because she was out of the picture...

This is what I thought of Lightning pre-Lightning Returns. In XIII, her story was a mere side-quest since the real heroes of XIII were Vanille/Fang. In XIII-2, she appear for a good 5-10 minutes? Between those 2 games, nothing was really built up, she was basically like a blank paper, and it was pretty safe to say a blank paper probably had more personality than her. I think Lightning deserves a few hate because really she was boring af in XIII.

LR is pretty much is the first game that focuses on Lightning. I thought they did a good job finally making her have a personality of her own. Throughout LR, the game pokes fun of Lightning being emotionless and by the end of LR, she probably has more personality than Vaan from XII. Lightning will still probably still gets a lot of hate for the XIII series (and man, a whole generation dedicated for one FF series)

Last edited:

Yukari

Kill me, but I'll say Mario. He is a great character but some people overrate him too much. He's surely not the best character there is. That's just how I feel it, though.
    Honestly, to a point I can agree. But one reason everybody loves him is because they grew up playing the Mario games. So Mario brings back a lot of memories for people.

That's what I think anyway.

Back