• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pew Pew Pew!

User Anon 1848

First & Third-Person Shooter games are criticized a lot among Pokemon and Nintendo fans so I'd be interested to know if there are any shooters that you've really enjoyed playing and why they managed to appeal to you even if you don't usually care for the genre.

Nekodatta

Overanalyzing Pokemon for 20 years
    Years
    I admit I don't really care for the genre, alone it's not really something I would play. They can be fun in multiplayer with friends to mess around with, but I don't really like the more realistic ones, I've played a bit of Team Fortress 2 years ago and loved it because of the characters and how crazy it gets, and probably would like others in that genre like Splatoon.
    For single player games I've played stuff like Far Cry 3 and Bioshock which I guess count.
    Really the thing that always stopped me the most from trying the most "mainstream" ones like COD (is it still around?) is the bit of a "prejudice" the multiplayer has. I don't really want to play a game with a toxic atmosphere where people insult you and call you names when you play. (Or games where you have to use the mic in general. If it isn't with friends in a private Discord chat, I'm quite self conscious about it)
    I admittedly have no idea if it's still the case, but for the stereotype to be there I think it must have been pretty bad sometimes.

User Anon 1848

Really the thing that always stopped me the most from trying the most "mainstream" ones like COD (is it still around?) is the bit of a "prejudice" the multiplayer has. I don't really want to play a game with a toxic atmosphere where people insult you and call you names when you play. (Or games where you have to use the mic in general. If it isn't with friends in a private Discord chat, I'm quite self conscious about it)
    I admittedly have no idea if it's still the case, but for the stereotype to be there I think it must have been pretty bad sometimes.

Totally understandable. Yeah it's still on an annual release cycle alternating between two different developers and the community is still as immature as ever but you can mute players whenever you want. Other than zombies the online modes don't require much team work or communication thankfully.

Fleurdelis

Gunbreaker addict
    Years
    Most multiplayer FPS games are simply better with friends. I am really enjoying FPS games as of late, mainly Rainbow Six Siege. A while back I also played a lot of CS:GO and a lot of friends see me as the person that carries them through everything :x

I really like Siege's aspect of different roles and tactics, while its also possible to just turn off the brain and go into the site like what I do :p

About the toxicity it's still around, but not as much as people tend to say there is... at least from my perspective. Though I don't play CoD apart from Zombies so I can't say much about CoD :P
    Though it goes without saying that people who think they're really good tend to get toxic when they start losing. Safe to say I've never been toxic, even when others told me to show bad manners.

Other than zombies the online modes don't require much team work or communication thankfully.

I heavily argue against this statement. Unless you go for like Easter Eggs, Zombies doesn't require any communication if y'all stick together from the beginning. Later on it could be a slight issue, but at that point you already figured out where to go. The later Zombies installments are a bit more complex though which is when they focused heavily on easter eggs and storybuilding.

Last edited:

User Anon 1848

I heavily argue against this statement. Unless you go for like Easter Eggs, Zombies doesn't require any communication if y'all stick together from the beginning. Later on it could be a slight issue, but at that point you already figured out where to go. The later Zombies installments are a bit more complex though which is when they focused heavily on easter eggs and storybuilding.

Even something as simple as warning someone about a zombie coming from behind them requires communication. You can't always cover for your teammates if you have your hands full yourself and eventually zombies can down you in one or two attacks. It's easier to stick together when you're communicating too since it's hard to keep track of everyone at all times with all the chaos going on. Plus if you want to move to a different part of the map it's best to get your teammates on board first. Most of my attempts that never made it to double digit waves were due to poor communication.

Fleurdelis

Gunbreaker addict
    Years
    Even something as simple as warning someone about a zombie coming from behind them requires communication. You can't always cover for your teammates if you have your hands full yourself and eventually zombies can down you in one or two attacks. It's easier to stick together when you're communicating too since it's hard to keep track of everyone at all times with all the chaos going on. Plus if you want to move to a different part of the map it's best to get your teammates on board first. Most of my attempts that never made it to double digit waves were due to poor communication.

Idk what kind of maps you were playing, but that to me sounds like either someone has no sound on (zombies tend to be loud bastards when they are about to shank you in the rear), or is fairly new to the zombies mode. Back in BO1's Kino Der Toten it was the golden rule to stay in the 1st room till the dog round, when that happens sprint to the MP40 room and get the MP40, survive for a while there till you have enough points to get set up and then roam around the map.

I'll rephrase what I said in that it's helpful to have communication when no one is really familiar with the map/mode, but with more experience comes a lesser need to communicate and its more like a well-oiled machine. At least for me that is. Then again I might be an elitist given my experience with the mode/genre in general :P

User Anon 1848

Idk what kind of maps you were playing, but that to me sounds like either someone has no sound on (zombies tend to be loud bastards when they are about to shank you in the rear), or is fairly new to the zombies mode. Back in BO1's Kino Der Toten it was the golden rule to stay in the 1st room till the dog round, when that happens sprint to the MP40 room and get the MP40, survive for a while there till you have enough points to get set up and then roam around the map.

I'll rephrase what I said in that it's helpful to have communication when no one is really familiar with the map/mode, but with more experience comes a lesser need to communicate and its more like a well-oiled machine. At least for me that is. Then again I might be an elitist given my experience with the mode/genre in general :P

Sometimes it can be hard to hear where the zombie sounds are coming from over the sounds of other zombies, gunfire and whatnot. Sounds like you mostly play with friends or at least competent players. You can be matched with people who don't know what they're doing if you're searching for public matches. I haven't played every COD since the mode was introduced by the way so I'm only speaking from my own experiences.

Fleurdelis

Gunbreaker addict
    Years
    Sometimes it can be hard to hear where the zombie sounds are coming from over the sounds of other zombies, gunfire and whatnot. Sounds like you mostly play with friends or at least competent players. You can be matched with people who don't know what they're doing if you're searching for public matches. I haven't played every COD since the mode was introduced by the way so I'm only speaking from my own experiences.

Ah so from what I gather you've mainly played the very first map which is a nightmare in general (hell I barely can reach round 25 on that map due to how brutal it is and how little room for error you have), do correct me if I'm wrong though. The newer maps allow for more mistakes to happen by offering stuff to increase your health. I often just play solo these days, but when I do play with others it's usually through the public matchmaking system, I don't have friends that play Zombies, they're all MP addicts :P

But I can see where you're coming from. I like Siege more anyways.

User Anon 1848

Ah so from what I gather you've mainly played the very first map which is a nightmare in general (hell I barely can reach round 25 on that map due to how brutal it is and how little room for error you have), do correct me if I'm wrong though. The newer maps allow for more mistakes to happen by offering stuff to increase your health. I often just play solo these days, but when I do play with others it's usually through the public matchmaking system, I don't have friends that play Zombies, they're all MP addicts :P

But I can see where you're coming from. I like Siege more anyways.

Yeah mostly base maps and the (at the time) free DLC for the PS4 version of BO3 (also free). Don't think I'll ever pay for another COD after they added DLC to the MW remaster.

Cid

Years
    Splatoon and Overwatch look cute to me but I've never tried either of them. Counter-Strike was very popular back in the day here, too. I also liked seeing videos of GoldenEye 007; it seemed like a fun time back in the N64 era.

Generally I don't play shooters. But I'd love to change that. I hear Mass Effect is, apart from being an ARPG, a third-person shooter, so that will be interesting to play.

Years
    I've never been super against the idea of shooters, but it's usually not my genre. Especially considering if I went online, toxicity towards women is god-awful. I had some fun the few times I'd play local multiplayer with whatever games were around (usually Halo or Call of Duty). I think the only shooter I've debated buying as an adult is Borderlands, because it has single player and it sounds hilarious.

That said, I ****ing love Splatoon 2 and you can pry it from my cold dead hands.
    - It's not gory, uh, kinda, just ignore the fact that your player explodes in ink and all your clothes and weapon fall to the ground when you die
    - The ink mechanic is interesting, and even in modes not Turf War, map control with ink is always super important
    - All its game modes are fun to play (when I win anyway)
    - The 80s/90s aesthetic it has going on is totally my thing
    - No voice chat with randoms!! I'll never have to know how much I disappoint my teammates :')

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I've played my share of shooters, the genre is fine to me. Prefer more single player focused stuff though like Fallout NV (though Fallout is kind of only loosely a shooter) or Mass Effect than the more multiplayer-focused ones. With some exceptions, multiplayer-oriented games are kind of more fun with people you know than with randoms. Have long been a little hesitant in joining in online multiplayer (especially ones with voice chat) for whatever reason.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I'm not particularly into the shooter genre. I played through the first episode of Duke Nukem 3D, played a little bit of Counterstrike and Battlefield during military service and university and might have played Unreal Tournament many many years ago like once or twice. Also tried Borderlands at some point but was kinda meh.

Also the occasional bow and arrow in the Elder Scrolls games, if that counts.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I'm not 100% into shooters either, but the ones I have played have ranked among some of my favorite games ever. Meal Gear Solid, Borderlands, Fallout, Metroid Prime, Dead Space, Portal, Bioshock.. all of them are fantastic. I'm just not into the whole online play thing since I'm not very good at F/3rdPS. But if they're narrative focused and offer up an interesting story and gameplay, then heck yeah I'm into it!

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen May 25, 2024
    Does Red Dead Redemption 2 count? There's a lot of shooting in that game.
    Tbh the only shooter I've played and enjoyed was Counter Strike when I was about 15. I am interested in DOOM though, the gameplay looks fun and fast-paced.

Sorvete

Novice
    Years
    If Grand Theft Auto fits into that category, yes, I'm quite a huge fan of the franchise. Although there's so much more into the games than just shooting people and stealing cars tbh.

However I find it hard to interact with people of this community because they're, uh... let's say they generally follow a very specific archetype that's not quite friendly towards lgbt people like me. I've found a small sub-community that's nice hanging out with though.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    i really don't like fps games and it's so hard working at gamestop of all places being someone that's not into that shit bc that's literally majority of my customer-base. i think part of why they're heavily disregarded is because the market was so (and still is, but not as bad as it was in the early 2010's i believe) flooded with the damn things. it's made things very stale and they tend to not stand out among the crowd unless there's an engaging storyline, a unique art style, just SOMETHING to claw it out of the norm.

this isn't to say i'm against them, they're just not my speed. i also have issues with the first person view in general. it makes me really motion sick so i can't even play the one fps series i at some point enjoyed...halo. lmfao would anyone ever take me for a halo fan? i really liked halo 2 from what i got to play of it (even if it made me feel sick RIP) and i was super hype for halo 3 back in the day. although halo is more story driven than, say, your black ops games. lol

i do enjoy third person shooters, though. a couple of my favorites are jak II + 3 (more like platformers before the shooter nature, but it still counts) and jet force gemini fuck i love that one. also i haven't played splatoon in a while but i'm a big fan of that as well. can't remember if it's first person or not tho and if it is maybe that's why i haven't played in a while bc there's only so much i can handle from that perspective but also a bitch needs nintendo online loool

Years
    Maybe I just haven't played enough shooters since the last one that I picked up was Borderlands 2, but...

Shooters kind of... aren't my thing. I remember being way into TimeSplitters when that was a thing and playing multi-player with a few friends and that was crazy amounts of fun, but by myself? I dunno, it just wasn't as fun and isn't what I enjoy in a game. I say this because I'm the type of person who wants to feel like they're progressing in a game, and I'm too used to how (J)RPGs do it what with level ups and growth trees while most shooters just give you a bigger/better gun. It's not as satisfying to me, personally. :x

That and I don't like seeing lots of blood in the games that I play anyway and plenty of shooters have them, so meh.

Back