• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon: Discovery

Should the beta be released sooner or later?

• Sooner! [Shorter beta]

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • Later! [Longer beta]

Votes: 35 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
  • Let me elaborate on everything:

Le pug was really upset with the community in general that he left, he pretty much gave me the control of Discovery entirely.

I didn't want to create the hack anymore for a long while and I've kept my mouth quiet on it. I want to work on something even better and something to call my own. I've been developing two hacks for a while now under the codename "Project ND". Soon, I'll be posting a thread for the project.

I'm very sorry to disappoint people, but stuff like this happens. This is a hobby, not a job. If you want to continue the project, please pm me and we can figure something out. Otherwise, Discovery is dead...unless Le pug comes back that is. That's really all I can say on the matter.

If you want to discuss Discovery, my upcoming project, or romhacking in general please visit this irc channel at: http://irc.lc/rizon/romhacking

Again, I'm very sorry that Discovery is dead, but this isn't the last time you will see me anyway. Maybe this project might be taken back up, time will only tell.

~Tcoppy

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    That stinks, I wish really interested in learning more of the story, it left on such a cliffhanger lol. Best of luck in your future endeavors Le Pug :D

Years
  • Closed per Tcoppy's request. PM myself or Christos if you ever want this re-opening.

Edit 31/07/2015: Thread ownership returned to Le pug. If you want this thread re-opening, contact myself or Christos.

Last edited:
    Years
  • fairly-odd-parents.jpg

Yay!!! I was so nervous that this was dead! Oh man. Glad to have you back Pug!

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
  • fairly-odd-parents.jpg

Yay!!! I was so nervous that this was dead! Oh man. Glad to have you back Pug!

BAZ3gLD.gif

Lol, I never quit the hack nor was I going to. I have invested way too much time into it to give up now. Tcoppy didn't know my intentions when I went on a hiatus but I told him I was going to work on both hacks still but seeing that he didn't know what was going on, I had to come out to prevent my hack being inadvertently pawned off.

So where am I at in Beta 2?
    Well ... I haven't started it. The details behind Beta 2 are almost completely filled out so it won't be hard to cover the story when I get to mapping Beta 2. What I've been doing in the past for Discovery is making the map and then instantly scripting it. What I'm doing in Fat Kid is making all the maps for the first beta and then I'm going to script it. I think so far that has worked out well because I know how my structure to work with and can tweak where I please rather than having to go back and change stuff to scripts.

When are you going to start making Beta 2 then?
    I am almost finished with the very last map of Beta 1 Fat Kid and then once that's finished, I'm going to be scripting it all which shouldn't take me too long ... probably looking at about a month before I start on Discovery and even then I will still be working on Beta 1 of Discovery for probably a week or so.

Why are you still working on Beta 1 of Discovery... it's already out?!
    Well first off let me say I have restarted making Discovery several times. Started out with Ruby ... went to FireRed... went to Ruby again ... then I ended up in Emerald where I probably restarted twice. I was too inexperienced to know how to fix bugs I was making or I was being overwhelmed with things I didn't know how to do and this community isn't the greatest at helping so I even took breaks between making Beta 1. Too many wasted offsets and poor planning on my part trying to get things to work. People may not like it, but you will have to restart your game. I know it sounds annoying but if you've played through it before, it'll take you 30 mins tops to get where you were before and besides that, every time I revamp Beta 1, I add new stuff. With Fat Kid, I've learned how to successfully insert new maps in the map index and how to create primary tilesets so that I can make maps using two tileset images instead of one (like I did with Dead Berry City ... which btw was such a pain to do lol... and I also did it hundreds of feet under the ocean!). I plan to use mamamamama's ROMbase also to add the moves, adding abilities like Adaptability for Eevee, and a whole bunch of new features not yet discussed. The LoW system will be revamped, the story will be altered such as the selection of your eeveelution will now make more sense and will be more of an event rather than an eeny, meeny, miny, moe. One of the things about Discovery for me was tiles wasn't the most important thing ... the hack doesn't need to look beautiful when it has an awesome story well I've decided I'm going to change up the scenery a bit also but in a positive way and make it look more fitting ... I'm going to also incorporate more "hey I'm stranded on an island" -like quests into the game so it doesn't just have you appearing in the first town right off the bat. I might have the player look around for supplies and try to survive for awhile before reaching Excultus, etc.

In closing, I know you guys probably were hoping this was a Beta 2 release post and I'm sorry to disappoint but know that Discovery is still getting worked on and keep in mind I work long hours in the Navy so I have to squeeze it in between that and my personal life as well. Thanks to everyone who supports, you will NOT be disappointed in Beta 2! :]

Years
  • Wow this is a great hack! But where's the new beta 1? And, can you upload the next beta in ips file and in mediafire? Thanks, and if there are some words bad, sorry my english isn't good.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    From the posts here, I was sure you quit this hack. I am just glad to see that you are still working on it, no matter how much time it will take.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Good to hear you're still dedicated to this, I was worried at first. Good thing I kept my save since I had a pretty good setup since last time.

Yuuki_Asura

Rom Hack Lover as of 2009... XD
    Years
  • BAZ3gLD.gif

Lol, I never quit the hack nor was I going to. I have invested way too much time into it to give up now. Tcoppy didn't know my intentions when I went on a hiatus but I told him I was going to work on both hacks still but seeing that he didn't know what was going on, I had to come out to prevent my hack being inadvertently pawned off.

Well ... I haven't started it. The details behind Beta 2 are almost completely filled out so it won't be hard to cover the story when I get to mapping Beta 2. What I've been doing in the past for Discovery is making the map and then instantly scripting it. What I'm doing in Fat Kid is making all the maps for the first beta and then I'm going to script it. I think so far that has worked out well because I know how my structure to work with and can tweak where I please rather than having to go back and change stuff to scripts.

I am almost finished with the very last map of Beta 1 Fat Kid and then once that's finished, I'm going to be scripting it all which shouldn't take me too long ... probably looking at about a month before I start on Discovery and even then I will still be working on Beta 1 of Discovery for probably a week or so.

Well first off let me say I have restarted making Discovery several times. Started out with Ruby ... went to FireRed... went to Ruby again ... then I ended up in Emerald where I probably restarted twice. I was too inexperienced to know how to fix bugs I was making or I was being overwhelmed with things I didn't know how to do and this community isn't the greatest at helping so I even took breaks between making Beta 1. Too many wasted offsets and poor planning on my part trying to get things to work. People may not like it, but you will have to restart your game. I know it sounds annoying but if you've played through it before, it'll take you 30 mins tops to get where you were before and besides that, every time I revamp Beta 1, I add new stuff. With Fat Kid, I've learned how to successfully insert new maps in the map index and how to create primary tilesets so that I can make maps using two tileset images instead of one (like I did with Dead Berry City ... which btw was such a pain to do lol... and I also did it hundreds of feet under the ocean!). I plan to use mamamamama's ROMbase also to add the moves, adding abilities like Adaptability for Eevee, and a whole bunch of new features not yet discussed. The LoW system will be revamped, the story will be altered such as the selection of your eeveelution will now make more sense and will be more of an event rather than an eeny, meeny, miny, moe. One of the things about Discovery for me was tiles wasn't the most important thing ... the hack doesn't need to look beautiful when it has an awesome story well I've decided I'm going to change up the scenery a bit also but in a positive way and make it look more fitting ... I'm going to also incorporate more "hey I'm stranded on an island" -like quests into the game so it doesn't just have you appearing in the first town right off the bat. I might have the player look around for supplies and try to survive for awhile before reaching Excultus, etc.

In closing, I know you guys probably were hoping this was a Beta 2 release post and I'm sorry to disappoint but know that Discovery is still getting worked on and keep in mind I work long hours in the Navy so I have to squeeze it in between that and my personal life as well. Thanks to everyone who supports, you will NOT be disappointed in Beta 2! :]
    Dude, I've been Busy For Days, Thank Goodness Discovery ain't Dead Yet:D

Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2020
    Yay! I'm so glad you're still working on this Le Pug.
    I almost cried when I read that it was canceled and then almost cried again when I saw you were going to stick it out.
    Good luck working on the hack. You got this.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • YESSSS ITS ALIVE
    I never doubted it though Le Pugs too good to give up on this and its understandable hes busy hehe cant wait to play beta 2!

Years
  • BAZ3gLD.gif

Wow man, this is one of my favorite hacks, and I'm glad you are still working on it, I wish you the best of lucks finishing this game! (Sorry if I'd wrote something wrong my English is'nt good)

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2015
    Id love to play this game i use my phone and i can only use zip files :'( this game looks great.. can anyone help plz

Help plz anyone is there a zip file of this i can doenload as i can only download thos to play

Last edited by a moderator:
    Back