• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Genders

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    If I'm not mistaken, Pokémon have three genders--male, female, and neutral. We all know what former two are, but for latter--Pokémon are sometimes categorized here if they're mechanical, so to speak. One example of this Metagross. They're also put here if the Pokémon are legendary, such as either Lugia, Ho-oh, Groudon, or Kyogre.

Do we have tendency to care about which gender our Pokémon happen to be? If we do, which do we usually tend to side with?

As for myself, I'm not too concerned about them, to be honest. I used to value female slightly more when I was younger as I used to think breeding was impossible without them, but then I realized male Pokémon are just as important when it comes to things like this, and my focus on them had soon began to disappear.

Squidchan

The Lady Cthulhu
    Years
    I hardly notice my pokemon's gender, the only time I do take notice is when I'm picking out nicknames, though occasionally I use gender neutral names as well, so it matters even less.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Yes, this bothers me greatly for some strange reason. Take Starters as an example, if I chose a Chikorita then I would soft reset until it is Female. The same applies for any members on my team, all of them are the gender that I feel suits them. ;;

Years
    I'm not really bothered by gender. I take notice of it when im nicknaming, breeding or having to face an Attract user, but other than that its just there.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Of course I pay attention to gender. I play Pokemon less like a game and more so as a roleplay. As well as being a person who pays heavy attention to nicknames as well and thinks about them more carefully than most. Gender kind of determines the personality and character of each of my team that I mentally assign. Also, there are certain Pokemon (Milotic, Braixen, Gardevoir) that I will be extremely bothered by if they're not the gender they resemble. I lean heavily towards female Pokemon because I'm generally biased towards females in general, so I feel kind of cheated whenever I receive a male.

A female feels like something more rare and more of a treat. Especially since a lot of non-50:50 gender ratios favor the males. One of my favorite things to do is collect female starters/Eevees. I always consider it a treat when I start up a game and I just get one automatically. It seems to happen to me a lot.

Years
    It basically depends on the Pokemon itself. Any Pokemon that obviously looks like one gender (i.e. Gardevoir, Machamp) I prefer it to be that gender, like for example I find it weird to have a male member of the Gothita line so I usually try to use a female.

As for most other Pokemon, I tend to accept either gender but for some reason whenever I use an Aipom/Ambipom I always want it to be female, likely due to Dawn's Ambipom from the anime, who was such a great performer in contests plus I kinda think it looks too "cute" to be male.

Years
    I don't often really care about genders; I play through the game with basically whatever I get. But when I nickname certain Pokémon of mine that's when I take genders into account if I want to give them something that suits it. Although at the same time I do try to have an even mix of gendered Pokémon on my team most of the time instead of being completely one-sided.

Years
    I tend to like pokemon who's gender is rare for their species. Like, I got my female arcanine in the wild. Funny thing is that when I breed her (only did this a few times), I got females. Traded one for a vulpix, and kept the other.

Without the dittos, how would a male only species breed?

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
    I'm usually indifferent when it comes to my Pokémon's gender, but there WAS one scenario that always boggled my mind -- when a player accidentally fails to capture Heatran, then soft resets the game just for that exact same Heatran to change its gender.

Years
    I pay attention to them, but that's a small matter.
    The things I don't understand concerning these are:

1. The fact that they can breed.
    2. The fact that they can breed.
    3. The fact that they can breed.
    4. The fact that they can breed.
    5. The fact that they can breed.
    6. The fact that they can breed.
    7. The fact that they can breed.
    8. The fact that they can breed.
    9. Males have no genitalia, I don't know about females though.
    10. How they breed is unexplained.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
    I don't really care much, and I have ended up with a 5-1 team of either gender quite a few times before. But whenever I do see a Pokemon I want I nickname it according to gender, species, etc. Like someone else said, I also play mostly as an RP rather than Game. >w<U
    I do also like to see the differences between them, like Pikachu's tail, Magikarp's uh whiskers?, Hippowdon's color pallet, etc. :3

Years
    Other than trying to come up with nicknames for my Pokemon, I really don't care which gender they are. And to be honest, at one point I didn't even really care when I was nicknaming my Pokemon, as my original Treecko from Sapphire was named Marty (short for Martin).

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, I did look exclusively for a male Litleo in Pokemon Y. If male and female Pyroar had the same design though, I probably wouldn't have cared.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I really care about the gender thing for some reason. Most Pokemon to me look male or female so when I'm making a team I want the genders to correlate with how they look. For example Blaziken has always looked female to me so it has to be female if it's on my team. I honestly don't know why I have such a hang up with it haha.

Back