• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Shiny Gold!

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
  • Is there any faithful restoration of ShinyGold X or only the original? Thanks a lot for doing this btw. J played the original ShinyGold many years ago and loved it and when looking to play it again, I realized it was never completed except in some really cheesy way with ShinyGold Sigma. This is a great way to play the real ShinyGold.

Ayee! Indeed there is a faithful restoration of the original Shiny Gold. If you scroll up the through this thread, you will find a download link by a user called Hackrepiarman who polished it up! I agree though, shiny gold sigma doesn't do justice. It's just quantity over quality. Hope this helps!

Years
    • He/She/They/Them
    • Earth
    • Seen Sep 4, 2021
    Is there any faithful restoration of ShinyGold X or only the original? Thanks a lot for doing this btw. J played the original ShinyGold many years ago and loved it and when looking to play it again, I realized it was never completed except in some really cheesy way with ShinyGold Sigma. This is a great way to play the real ShinyGold.

Hacksrepairman fixed this one up and it's finished,here is his ips and I really recommend his blog.

Attachments

• ShinyGold Faithfully Fixed Beta5.ips
      1.4 MB · Views: 73
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    Thanks you two, but I am actually looking for a fix of ShinyGold X, which was a harder version of ShinyGold. It was also by Zel. Does that exist?

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • Thanks you two, but I am actually looking for a fix of ShinyGold X, which was a harder version of ShinyGold. It was also by Zel. Does that exist?

Sadly, there isn't. I feel you though, I'd love to play the harder version of Shiny Gold X for a bit of challenge. I might undertake this myself if trainer editor tools still apply to this.

Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2020
    Hey Guys,
    I'm new to this site so sorry if I don't follow proper protocol/etiquette. I just beat Claire and when I went to Dragon's Den, I found that whirlpool will not work. My clamperl has the move "whirlpool" however it does not give me the option to use it outside of battle. It worked previously when I went to whirl islands to catch a horsea. Is it possible to fix this?

Hey guys, anyone by chance ever encounter this problem or know how to fix it? I'm literally stuck lol

Gelius3

Certified Idiotic Potato
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Mar 24, 2024
    To be honest, at the moment, this is the most Vanilla and pure GSC remake (until crystal dust gets complete) that you'll ever play. If you really enjoyed Gold, Silver or Crystal, give this a spin.

That or Pokemon Golden Sun gets translated.

Basically, for those who don't know, in my opinion, the tiering is:

- Golden Sun (I heard it's extremely faithful to the original but it's main issue is that it's only in Japanese.)
    - Crystal Dust (From what i see, it's a very promising hack, and it looks like it will remain faithful to the originals)
    - Shiny Gold (Just read up. It's not 100% faithful but it at least it still gives a strong Johto feeling. Shiny Gold X is less faithful in trainer roster, but the effect is practically the same.)
    - Liquid Crystal (Not that faithful, but honestly, it's still enjoyable in it's own way. You can't deny how much work it has been put into it, and you have to give credit to the devs for making it. I'm sure it took a lot of precious time and work for something of that magnitude. Johto and Kanto are finished from what i know, but sadly, the Orange Islands are kinda barren for now. Interesting, but nothing much honestly. Still, it's not as bad as i hear some people claiming.)
    - Shiny Gold Sigma (Just... Ugh... I get it, it has loads of stuff, some of em i wouldn't be opposed, like gen 4 evos, but i doubt anyone is opposed to those (and Shiny Gold doesn't really need em), but quality is bad. By all means, if you like it, i won't stop you from liking it, it is your opinion but dear Arceus, it just flops in comparison. Like, if you want a more vanilla feel, then don't play it. And if you want quality, then don't play it either. Like i said, i don't stop you if you want to do it, but here's my warning.)

So overall, your choices are, according to these five ones:
    Play Shiny Gold.
    Play Liquid Crystal.
    Wait for Crystal Dust
    Either Wait for Golden Sun translation or play it if you know Japanese
    Or don't play Shiny Gold Sigma.

Eitherway, jokes aside, the Johto GBA remake lineup, despite looking varied, is good enough. You won't do wrong with most games. (Again, don't do SGS)

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • That or Pokemon Golden Sun gets translated.

Basically, for those who don't know, in my opinion, the tiering is:

- Golden Sun (I heard it's extremely faithful to the original but it's main issue is that it's only in Japanese.)
    - Crystal Dust (From what i see, it's a very promising hack, and it looks like it will remain faithful to the originals)
    - Shiny Gold (Just read up. It's not 100% faithful but it at least it still gives a strong Johto feeling. Shiny Gold X is less faithful in trainer roster, but the effect is practically the same.)
    - Liquid Crystal (Not that faithful, but honestly, it's still enjoyable in it's own way. You can't deny how much work it has been put into it, and you have to give credit to the devs for making it. I'm sure it took a lot of precious time and work for something of that magnitude. Johto and Kanto are finished from what i know, but sadly, the Orange Islands are kinda barren for now. Interesting, but nothing much honestly. Still, it's not as bad as i hear some people claiming.)
    - Shiny Gold Sigma (Just... Ugh... I get it, it has loads of stuff, some of em i wouldn't be opposed, like gen 4 evos, but i doubt anyone is opposed to those (and Shiny Gold doesn't really need em), but quality is bad. By all means, if you like it, i won't stop you from liking it, it is your opinion but dear Arceus, it just flops in comparison. Like, if you want a more vanilla feel, then don't play it. And if you want quality, then don't play it either. Like i said, i don't stop you if you want to do it, but here's my warning.)

So overall, your choices are, according to these five ones:
    Play Shiny Gold.
    Play Liquid Crystal.
    Wait for Crystal Dust
    Either Wait for Golden Sun translation or play it if you know Japanese
    Or don't play Shiny Gold Sigma.

Eitherway, jokes aside, the Johto GBA remake lineup, despite looking varied, is good enough. You won't do wrong with most games. (Again, don't do SGS)

I agree with you completely on Golden Sun, truly a brilliant GSC remake and gives off the vibe of what a genuine GSC remake on the GBA system would be like. I actually played through it several years ago, and despite not knowing Japanese, it was a real treat. The sound tracks really stood out to me the most with how crisp and accurate they were. Shiny Gold Sigma is wack as heck, love the mapping but the bugginess and "Quantity over quality" principle made me shrug away from it.

Years
  • Of course, I totally agree to both of you. :-)

Pokemon Golden Sun: Never played, but looks very nice and vanilla.
    Crystal Dust: Not finished yet, but looks the same very vanilla.
    Shiny Gold: Kind of vanilla, kind of custom story, but very straight to play, best finished GSC game for GBA in englisch for now.
    Liquid Crystal: Huge game, tons of added things, for sure unbelievable hard and costly to create, but not that straight and vanilla like the other ones. For me the ultimate quest for a hard GSC based playtrough/story game.
    POKEMON GS CHRONICLES: Take a look at this, maybe some great incoming stuff, too.
    Shiny Gold Sigma: No, just NO, please...

From todays view the original GSC games feel kind of "empty" cause of the broken Kanto, some hacks like Crystal 2.0 do it better cause much missing things were added to make the feeling more "complete".
    HeartGold and Soul Silver are the best Pokemon games of all time in my opinion. Long story and postgame, tons of sidequest and dailys, battle frontier and so on. There will be never a GBA game come close to.

Last edited:

Tendoman77

Formerly known as "Da Man"
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    I never even heard of Pokemon Golden Sun till just now, sounds like its really worth a try even though I hate playing non-translated rom hacks. Although right now I do agree its pretty much between Crystal Dust or the original Shiny Gold.

I do agree with Shiny Gold Sigma being at the bottom, completely at the bottom. Even I voiced my sheer criticism at that shameful hack a long time ago.

Gelius3

Certified Idiotic Potato
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Mar 24, 2024
    Of course, I totally agree to both of you. :-)

Pokemon Golden Sun: Never played, but looks very nice and vanilla.
    Crystal Dust: Not finished yet, but looks the same very vanilla.
    Shiny Gold: Kind of vanilla, kind of custom story, but very straight to play, best finished GSC game for GBA in englisch for now.
    Liquid Crystal: Huge game, tons of added things, for sure unbelievable hard and costly to create, but not that straight and vanilla like the other ones. For me the ultimate quest for a hard GSC based playtrough/story game.
    POKEMON GS CHRONICLES: Take a look at this, maybe some great incoming stuff, too.
    Shiny Gold Sigma: No, just NO, please...

From todays view the original GSC games feel kind of "empty" cause of the broken Kanto, some hacks like Crystal 2.0 do it better cause much missing things were added to make the feeling more "complete".
    HeartGold and Soul Silver are the best Pokemon games of all time in my opinion. Long story and postgame, tons of sidequest and dailys, battle frontier and so on. There will be never a GBA game come close to.

Honestly when i mentioned Liquid Crystal, i also meant to congratulate the hacker. The rom hack gets a lot of shade from some people cause it isnt as faithful as some others. But the way i saw it was an incredible experience that, for the most part, the main story still was somewhat the same. Its still enjoyable if you like games where you can play in multiple sittings and love to discover secrets and love having new secrets and content that had some quality put in. Shiny Gold Sigma had a bunch of new features, and i can see why, but it was sloppily done. Liquid Crystal, in comparison, had new things too, but most of them were done well. Sure, the Orange Islands are a bit bland, hut there has to be credit for the man for even trying to put them in (a task most avoid cause its hard to replicate the islands, especially if you plan for it to be a level 80 region). So overall while Liquid Crystal isnt as faithful, i defend that its as good as Shiny Gold, and deserves a play for those who want to play a GBA remake.

Edit: I accidentally said Shiny Gold Sigma in the end, when i actually meant to say Shiny Gold, the regular one.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Good day everyone,
    May I ask on how to get Oak's Permission? (Because the game required to get his permission to trade from this game to ruby/sapphire/emerald and I'm in progress on completing my national dex on sapphire)

Back