• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokemon Sour Crystal (improvement hack)

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2023
    How do I evolve Tangela, Lickitung, Sneasel and Gligar ?

Awesome hack btw !

Minato Riku

My Japanese Sweetheart
    Years
  • @BlazingMagmar Before I playing this awesomesauce game what are these change in yer hack? Is it also include RED/ASH in these hack with different pokemon or same?!

uZ1

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Im not sure, did you download the new update?
    Yes, I'm using the 2.1 version.
    When I'm patching with the IPS file, everything is fine. But when I try to compile with Cygwin64 (without any error) my game don't contain the Pokegear and the unique sprites. But everything else is working. Whats wrong? I would like to use my own compiled game because of some edits.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2021
    Hello again.

This 'improvement hack' of Pokemon Crystal has been 5 years in the making.
    I created it with mindset of updating Crystal to 'current-gen' standards but without losing the nostalgic feel of the original.

The hack has many features that may make playing it more comfortable for newer players such as the "PPS" system (pokeride).

UPDATE: 7/11/20
    -Added a fourth Time of Day: EVENING. Day ends at 5pm and Night starts at 8pm. During EVENING, wild encounters are the same as DAY.
    -Updated more movepools for some pokemon
    -Various bug fixes

This hack includes:
    - +200 new animated front sprites and static backsprites with updated normal and shiny palettes (all done by myself)
    - Dark Type is now physical and Ghost is now Special (phys/spec split is NOT present)
    - Pokemon that evolve via trade or trade with items now evolve by 'using' said item or via using a 'Covenant Orb' (graveler/haunter/kadabra/machoke)
    - Updated movepools/basestats for many pokemon that reflect up to Gen 8
    - Updated attacks/effects/basepower/accuracy that reflect up to Gen 8
    - Addition of routes 47/48 and cliff cave from HGSS
    - A somewhat different Yellow Forest taken from Polished Crystal (with permission from Rangi ofc)
    - Kanto region has been expanded to 1:1 in size with its appearance in Gen 1
    - A new Pokegear App. The "PPS" or "Pokemon-Pager-System" allows the player to summon a specific pokemon to
    use HM moves in the overworld, thus, eliminating the need for HM Slaves.
    Each pager is received when you acquire the corresponding HM move.
    - Reusable TMs. HMs still exist and no longer need the Move Deleter to overwrite.
    - All Trainers and Gym Leaders in Kanto have had their levels increased to be similar to HGSS' curve.
    - Fruit Trees have been split into 'Berry Trees' and 'Apricorn Trees'. Apricorns and Berries will visible on the trees in the overworld when they are available.
    - Kurt now gives the Player their finished Apricorn Balls immediately after giving Kurt the Apricorns.
    - Apricorn Balls now have their own unique palettes in battle.
    - The GS ball is obtained when you enter the pokemon center in Goldenrod after completing the E4 the first time.
    - The Odd Egg now has a 50% of hatching a Shiny.
    - Many Kanto-only Gen 2 Pokemon can now be obtained in Johto such as Houndour/Murkrow/Slugma.
    - Viridian Forest/Seafoam Islands/Cerulean Cave have been added from HGSS.
    - Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres/Mewtwo can now be obtained in the same locations as in HGSS once the player has acquired all 16 badges.

Screenshots:
    Spoiler:

Credits to Rangi and pfero for the help and use of Yellow Forest.

DOWNLOAD:
    https://github.com/SoupPotato/Sourcrystal/blob/master/patches/SourCrystal2.1.ips

Repo:
    https://github.com/SoupPotato/Sourcrystal

Is there any way to make this game harder? I downloaded it last night, I love the new sprites btw. My dream Rom hack would be crystal with what you've done so far and also new move animations with a harder difficulty. But let me know if it's possible to increase the gym leader's team and the level curve. Thanks again for the aesthetically pleasing game.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • Is there any way to make this game harder? I downloaded it last night, I love the new sprites btw. My dream Rom hack would be crystal with what you've done so far and also new move animations with a harder difficulty. But let me know if it's possible to increase the gym leader's team and the level curve. Thanks again for the aesthetically pleasing game.

Definitely agree with this! A hard optional latch would be really nice with the already included features!

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I love this hack! I can't tell though, have you fixed the original's bugs with the catch rates? Status effects such as paralysis and sleep are supposed to increase catch rate by 5 but don't do anything, and certain Apricorn Balls (Fast, Love, and Moon, if I remember correctly) have their catch rate improvement prerequisites set incorrectly and thus don't work as intended, with the Moon being no better than a normal Poké Ball. If this has been fixed (or if not, if at the very least it's planned to be) I would be the happiest Pokémon player alive. I have an older patch and only just now got an account to make this comment, so I don't have many of the newer features/fixes, if any. Because the fact that those Apricorn Balls are glitched has annoyed me for years, and while I know HGSS fixed that, it's not the same to me.

Edit: I also should have asked before patching my ROM, but if I already have a save file on my system for Crystal, is that save file still good to use with Sour Crystal or do you recommend I start over? I only ask because of the much bigger features that were added in Sour Crystal

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2023
    I've just started my journey in Sour Crystal and I really wanna congrats you on all the little updates you made !
    It keeps the game as it is but enhanced so many little things that I really think Nintendo should be jealous. ;)
    And the sprite animations are awesome. Great job. ✊

PS : I've just got my first shiny ever !! Are the rates changed or I've just got lucky ? :D

Pokemon Sour Crystal (improvement hack)

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2024
    I love this hack! I can't tell though, have you fixed the original's bugs with the catch rates? Status effects such as paralysis and sleep are supposed to increase catch rate by 5 but don't do anything, and certain Apricorn Balls (Fast, Love, and Moon, if I remember correctly) have their catch rate improvement prerequisites set incorrectly and thus don't work as intended, with the Moon being no better than a normal Poké Ball. If this has been fixed (or if not, if at the very least it's planned to be) I would be the happiest Pokémon player alive. I have an older patch and only just now got an account to make this comment, so I don't have many of the newer features/fixes, if any. Because the fact that those Apricorn Balls are glitched has annoyed me for years, and while I know HGSS fixed that, it's not the same to me.

Edit: I also should have asked before patching my ROM, but if I already have a save file on my system for Crystal, is that save file still good to use with Sour Crystal or do you recommend I start over? I only ask because of the much bigger features that were added in Sour Crystal

All the apricorn balls are fixed and work as intended. Except perhaps the FAST BALL which works as it doesn in gen4+
    Everything else you mentioned is also fixed so dont worry :)

I've just started my journey in Sour Crystal and I really wanna congrats you on all the little updates you made !
    It keeps the game as it is but enhanced so many little things that I really think Nintendo should be jealous. ;)
    And the sprite animations are awesome. Great job. ✊

PS : I've just got my first shiny ever !! Are the rates changed or I've just got lucky ? :D

Pokemon Sour Crystal (improvement hack)

Thanks, Im glad your enjoying it so much.

And no the shiny rates were not changed, so big congratz on the shiny :D

uZ1

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    It would be really nice if you could add Mew, the Kanto starters, the other two Johto starters and the Fossil PKM, so I can finally complete the Dex in this perfect Hack. Running shoes could also be useful.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    All the apricorn balls are fixed and work as intended. Except perhaps the FAST BALL which works as it doesn in gen4+
    Everything else you mentioned is also fixed so dont worry :)

Very good to know, thanks! But you didn't answer my second question, is it possible to convert a save file from vanilla Crystal to Sour Crystal or would I need to start over from the beginning? I'll use the Pager Card as an example. If I were to go past the point where Elm would give the Pager Card, would the Pager Card automatically be unlocked, would I just be able to talk to Elm again to get the Card, would I have to go through the whole cutscene where he gives it to me, or am I just locked out of the Pager Card for the entire game, preventing me from using that feature entirely?

Last edited:

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    It would be really nice if you could add Mew, the Kanto starters, the other two Johto starters and the Fossil PKM, so I can finally complete the Dex in this perfekt Hack. Running shoes could also be useful.

Indeed, thats what im looking for!

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    UPDATE: 7/10/21
    -Added the Pokemon Mansion to Cinnabar Island. As well as the ability to obtain Mew. Try and figure out how!
    -Updated more movepools for some pokemon
    -Various bug fixes

WOW!!!! you're a god dude! best hack ever

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2024
    Hey, sorry to ask this again, but I wanted to get your thoughts on something since my question wasn't answered last time. Regarding this:

- All Trainers and Gym Leaders in Kanto have had their levels increased to be similar to HGSS' curve.

Any desire to update Johto trainers as well? I know the Gym Leaders (in most cases) had their Pokemon levels increased, along with the Rocket Executives I believe. Like, Falkner's Pidgey and Pidgeotto going from levels 7 and 9 in G/S/C to levels 9 and 13 in HG/SS for instance

Back