• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon with Multiple Color Options

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Introduced Pinkan Berries in one early episode of the anime (before the release of Gold/Silver and shiny Pokemon). Turned a Pokemon pink, as below.
    Pokemon with Multiple Color Options

Would you like it if multiple colors of Pokemon existed? Would it hurt how recognizable a Pokemon is or ruin how special shinies are?

Hesitantly says yes. Affects some Pokemon better than others. Posted an image of Rhyhorn above. Altered basically everything. Saw some other Pokemon that were not completely pink, such as Electabuzz (still with all of its usual black) and Nidoking (white belly + blue insides of ears). Already kind of exists for Squawkabilly and Minior too.

Wonders if changing an accent color works better. Re-colored a Serperior very quickly. Changed the yellow to other colors. (Contains some yellow on the edges still. Expends far more time by removing every pixel. Dropped some of the shading for blue and red also.)
    Pokemon with Multiple Color OptionsPokemon with Multiple Color OptionsPokemon with Multiple Color Options

Swaps it to your choice of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, white, black, or gray (and the standard color, of course). Retains some value for shiny Pokemon with the accent color change idea (in some cases, at least). Stops the Pokemon from becoming too unrecognizable, but gaining some customizability.

Years
    • Seen today
    ...No, I wouldn't want this. I feel like it would take away some of the fun out of getting a shiny. I'm fine with regional forms providing a different look.

I'd rather leave it to special Pokemon such as deerling or gastrodon.

Years
  • I'm okay with Pokemon like Squawkabilly that already have this sort of thing.
    Usually seems rather pointless to me though, or in the case of Squawkabilly anyway.

The Arceus forms are also not much more than an accent color change, but at least those change types. I'm okay with it if there's at least some functional difference like that.
    All that changes for the grease birb is a different HA for two forms each. *shrugs*

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • I'd love it personally. The chance to make a fully unique (or close to it) looking team sounds wonderful to me, and not having the 'it's a shiny!' ping every time I want to use them in battle would be a nice time saver as well. (maybe have unique color options for shiny Pokemon to keep them more special?) Either way, when the choice is 'more customization options' vs 'literally all looking the same' I'm always going to pick more options lol.

Years
  • I like the concept of regional forms and don't mind Pokemon having multiple colors/designs as a gimmick (like Deerling's seasonal forms); but every single Pokemon having minor color variations would seriously decease the value of shinies in my opinion while not adding enough customization to make up for it.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • I'd say you can get the best of both worlds if the customization for colors is reserved as tone, or accent, and shinies are reserved as a more general palette change. The base idea would be to take advantage that most Pokémon designs use basic color distinctions and from there select body parts or color components to apply accents, whereas the shiny version can remain a more "complete" change offering.

For example:

Feraligatr has a scheme of light-blue, cream-brown and red. Color variations and accents could go on the belly to include colors like yellow, or on the crest to include tone changes on red. The shiny version would still be a scheme of blue, thistle and violet, and its accent or tone variations could go on the skin, like deeper blue or even green-blue to mimic the look of the GBC sprite, or accents on the spine crests to gradient them from violet to blue.

Years
  • Oh my god, yes. I'm surprised I didn't think of this. I'd love it if we could see more dioversity between Pokémon with different colors. Shinies are one thing but they're very rare, and animals can come in all sorts of colors in real life. I'd love if they went beyond simple color changes too. A blue merle Growlithe, or calico Skitty for example? That would be really neat.

Back