• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokeword Puzzles

Years
  • 4 across: Amphy? (In the lighthouse.)
    7 across: RuinsofAlph. (For Unown.)
    8 across: GSBall? Probably Celebi-related.
    9 across: TrainStation? (Figures something along these lines.)
    11 across: SilverCave?
    12 across: WhirlIslands? Associates it with Whirlpool.

You have slayed most of these answers Deva! Awesome. 4 across is Amphy since the lighthouse depends on this electric mon, and the secret potion restores it back to normal. 8 across was GS Ball for Celebi, because this is a time-traveler. Bingo, 7 across equals Ruins of Alph, for the unown, and Whirl Islands is the answer to 12 across, surf, whirlpool and strength and being hms used to lead you to the diving pokemon i.e lugia, who lives there.

While silver cave and train station are not the answers this time around, you are super warm and close with 9 across!

Years
  • My guesses:
    6- GoldenrodCity?
    10- SS Aqua?
    (my guess for 11 would be Mt. Silver, but there's not enough spaces lol :p)

Bravo! Excited to have fox join the game, and figure out what schemes I might be up to. Both of these answers are right! Goldenrod City is also referred to as the Big Happening City, and the SS Aqua takes passengers from Johto to Kanto.

I added the update puzzle to this page.

Pokeword Puzzles

Years
  • How about "Lake Of Rage" for 11 across. Intimidating due to Gyarados' Intimidate?

2 across makes me think Lanturn because of the deep part... Chinchou would fit, bit the Jaws part is making me think it's not this line.
    The Totodile line is classified as the Big Jaw Pokemon, though I don't really associate them with swimming in the deep. That said Totodile and Croconaw both fit length wise.

Is 2 across "Totodile" ?

Was thinking maybe one of the Speed related Pokeathlon events for 9 across, but none of them fit. Nor the Pokeathlon Dome.
    Not the Bicycle Shop either. Train Station is supposedly close. Magnet train doesn't fit either though. *shrugs*

Descendng

actual real Sableye. trust me.
    Years
  • 2 across could be Sharpedo, potentially? it's a shark, therefore I associate it with jaws, and it could feasibly be found in the deep, although it's not a dive encounter or anything.
    9 across, first thing that came to mind for some reason is RollerSkates. and I mean, it fits, though it's a total shot in the dark, since the "where" leads me to believe this is referring to a specific place.
    11 across is definitely LakeOfRage, as ReKoil said.

Years
  • I'm pretty much assuming the theme is "Jotho", be it GSC or HGSS Johto, based on the filled in answers.

Is 1 Down "Burned Tower" ? It was once named the Brass Tower, burned down, and I guess the water part is the fire being put out. Or perhaps the hint is entirely about
    Brass itself, idk how brass is made.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Pokeword Puzzles
    How about "Lake Of Rage" for 11 across. Intimidating due to Gyarados' Intimidate?

2 across makes me think Lanturn because of the deep part... Chinchou would fit, bit the Jaws part is making me think it's not this line.
    The Totodile line is classified as the Big Jaw Pokemon, though I don't really associate them with swimming in the deep. That said Totodile and Croconaw both fit length wise.

Is 2 across "Totodile" ?

Was thinking maybe one of the Speed related Pokeathlon events for 9 across, but none of them fit. Nor the Pokeathlon Dome.
    Not the Bicycle Shop either. Train Station is supposedly close. Magnet train doesn't fit either though. *shrugs*

I'm pretty much assuming the theme is "Jotho", be it GSC or HGSS Johto, based on the filled in answers.

Is 1 Down "Burned Tower" ? It was once named the Brass Tower, burned down, and I guess the water part is the fire being put out. Or perhaps the hint is entirely about
    Brass itself, idk how brass is made.

Well, well, well! What have you uncovered here? A Lake of Rage and a Totodile hiding in that puzzle!
    11. Across was indeed a pun on the intimidate ability Gyarados has, and totodile was chosen because of it's big jaw nickname and all the references to it biting things. I said deep because it's a water type, but now I think that was a bit confusing because it suggests something at the bottom of the ocean, and this little guy just comes from New bark town.

Johto is the theme, and Eureka! You got another. That was one of the trickiest ones, if not the hardest. I did have the original Brass Tower in mind, the light is the lightning said to have struck the tower and caused the fire that burned it, and the water is the rain that quenched the flames. I have got to give you a round of applause for that brilliant deduction.

2 across could be Sharpedo, potentially? it's a shark, therefore I associate it with jaws, and it could feasibly be found in the deep, although it's not a dive encounter or anything.
    9 across, first thing that came to mind for some reason is RollerSkates. and I mean, it fits, though it's a total shot in the dark, since the "where" leads me to believe this is referring to a specific place.
    11 across is definitely LakeOfRage, as ReKoil said.

Yes, you got Lake of Rage too! That's right. While #2 across Totodile, Sharpedo would have actually fit way better now that you mention it. Got give you a point for cleverness.
    #9 isn't rollerskates, but you are right to think it's a place.

3rd Shoal Cave, I guess high tides-low tides prevent entering there in sunlight.

2nd Arrokuda
    Arrokuda was another good guess for #2. While the answer was Totodile, some of these are honestly better answers then what I had, so giving you a point for a good idea.
    #3 Isn't shoal cave, but that's a pretty good guess too. Shoal cave could have made a nice metaphor for guarded by the hidden sun since it's only accessible at certain times.

Come on guys, I know you can pull this one off! Rooting for my players! I'll send in the cheerleaders to get you guys pumped! just three answers away!
    Pokeword Puzzles

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Posts this more in hopes to jog someone else's brain.

• 3 down: Something with the Rocket Hideout in Mahogany Town? Hid a generator down there. Would be something guarding a hidden sun, though.

Thought of Sacred Ash. Acquires that from Ho-oh, a sun-ish Pokemon. Cannot find Ho-oh easily. Could be "hidden". Needs an 'H' as the second letter, though. Hid items behind Ho-oh (and Flash) in the Ruins of Alph, on the same train of thought.

Not a Sun Stone Pokemon.

3 down: Is it "ShinyLeaf"? Mentions it mostly for being 9 letters with an 'H' as the second letter. Edit: Thought of a much better answer down below.

• 5 down: What is the beginning? Thought of New Bark Town, Tohjo Falls (first step into Kanto), and Vermilion City (first real entry). Not Girafarig (a palindrome).

Alternatively, does this word start with 'A' in two places? As in, "Acid Armor". Cannot think of any word like that, unfortunately.

Suspects this to be two words. Says this because of the known letters.
      _ _ N _ A _ _ _ _

Fits fairly few letters in there well. Bets on something like "Sun _a____" or "Ring A____". Could be wrong, of course.

• 9 across: Not "Miracle Cycle" either (the name of the bicycle shop in Goldenrod). One letter short of Choice Scarf (not very Johto). Not "Friendship Room".

Last edited:
    Years
  • Pokeword Puzzles

could 5 down be Cyndaquil? it's a starter in both Johto and Hisui.

Correct! It is Cyndaquil! Bravo, you have got it! That is the meaning because it is a starter of Hisui and Johto, that was another tough one.

With that in mind, is 3 down Chikorita? Has Leaf Guard for the sun as a hidden ability.

Also correct! Leaf guard literally guards against status conditions in sunlight, a hidden ability that's sun-based.

Only one more piece of the puzzle remains.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • I tried looking up everything that I could think of that would fit the last question, but the only thing that made any sense to me was the games related to the Pokéathlon, and none of them fit the puzzle. :sadwick:

Descendng

actual real Sableye. trust me.
    Years
  • 9 across surely must be Dragon Shrine then, right?
    I was initially thinking Dragons Den but couldn't recall if the actual building inside had a name, but it's the place where you take the quiz for the Dratini with Extreme Speed.

god, it took so long for me to think of that LOL

Last edited:
    Years
  • Dragon Den did come to mind for me, but I couldn't for the life of me remember if the little house thingy in it had a name of it's own... guess it did lol

Also the hint for down 5 still reads as if it's referring to a location for me, no matter how much I read it back. =\

Years
  • 9 across surely must be Dragon Shrine then, right?
    I was initially thinking Dragons Den but couldn't recall if the actual building inside had a name, but it's the place where you take the quiz for the Dratini with Extreme Speed.

god, it took so long for me to think of that LOL

Yes, yes, yes, yes! It is Dragon Shrine! Inside of the dragon den, that cave in blackthorn city, there is an inner building, a sort of sanctuary, the dragon shrine, and that's where you meet the clan elder, and he tests your love for pokemon, and will gift you the extreme speed dratini if you pass his test perfectly. I probably made a reference that was too obscure, and time I'll try to make a puzzle that isn't as challenging to change it up. Well done Descending for completing this tough crossword. Good job to everyone, because everybody had good answers. Devalue guessed the most answers correct, and can either make the next pokeword or pass the turn to another.

Pokeword Puzzles

Last edited:
    Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Passes on making the next crossword. Allows someone else to take up the mantle. Will make one in a few days, if no one else does, though.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • I'm barely creative enough to come up with a single answer for the Hangman game, much less a whole sheet of them for a crossword lol. :p
    Plus, I haven't been as active in the section as I've wanted to be lately, even making the Hangman team wait a few days for a single response, so I'm just not confident enough that I'll be around regularly to keep the answers up to date at the moment.

Years
  • I don't mind making another one, but I did the one before the current one.
    Don't really have time today due to a birthday earlier on either... pretty much trying to catch up with PT & FG atm before heading to bed lol

Back