• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Profanity

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
  • I've developed a sharp hatred of curse words since my mother uses them so carelessly and frequently. I never verbally curse because of her. Though, I'm fine if someone else curses at the right time for a good reason like being stressed or harmed. So yeah, kind of like what Scarlet Lynn said.

Gyro

-r o t a t i o n-
    Years
  • They're just words.

I use 'em.

Other people use 'em.

It's not hurting anyone. If it offends you, get over it.

Well I dont think I would've put it like that, but I agree. For me, I curse all the time..I dont see it as anything extremely horrible. I actually think cursing is always exaggerated to be a bigger problem than it really is. I really cant help but curse..I always use curse words casually so its a part of every day speech for me. Don't get me wrong, I don't curse in every single statement, all I'm saying is that they're just a part of the way I speak. I dont do it to be cool, or to seem "tough"..its just the way I am and thats just how I talk. I can control my cursing though, because I know it does offend some people and I know when to censor my language at the right time.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
  • I try to avoid using profanity, but what I've found is that they're so casually thrown around nowadays it's almost like the standard teenager slang/lingo. Which definitely doesn't help when everyone around you uses it on a regular basis, it's simply like imprinted in your mind. x_x

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    Jaimes said:
    When people use it for the sole purpose of looking cool because they know it's a rebellious way of speaking then that really annoys me, especially when they're chavs
    Ew... chavs. I've heard the horror stories about them. XD

Anyway, I've never actually cursed before and don't have any plans to do so, but I'm not the type of person who flinches every time I hear a "bad word". I honestly prefer to be around people who don't curse because that's what I'm used to in real life, but I won't have a nervous breakdown if someone slips one out in front of me. I guess that, like most people, I've become pretty desensitized to them because of all the movies and music that you hear them in nowadays.

That said, I don't think it's appropriate how they're often thrown around so carelessly by people who say they're "just words". Sure they are, but they're not the kind you'd hear an innocent little 5 year-old saying. Or your typical, sweet elderly lady. It's one thing to use them when you're with a friend who wouldn't be offended in the least, but if you're out in public, especially around families with little kids? Show some respect. At least you'll come off as being more mature than most teenagers these days.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Swear words are filler for people that can't think of a better word to use. They're fairly catch-all, and you don't really have to think about what you're saying to use one. Not to mention that they grate on the ears.

I don't use them, unless I slip. I've said maybe five swear words in my life.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • I only curse when I'm really really mad or annoyed. (so I don't do it often) I don't believe it's in my nature to profusely use profanity.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
  • Ew... chavs. I've heard the horror stories about them. XD

Anyway, I've never actually cursed before and don't have any plans to do so, but I'm not the type of person who flinches every time I hear a "bad word". I honestly prefer to be around people who don't curse because that's what I'm used to in real life, but I won't have a nervous breakdown if someone slips one out in front of me. I guess that, like most people, I've become pretty desensitized to them because of all the movies and music that you hear them in nowadays.

That said, I don't think it's appropriate how they're often thrown around so carelessly by people who say they're "just words". Sure they are, but they're not the kind you'd hear an innocent little 5 year-old saying. Or your typical, sweet elderly lady. It's one thing to use them when you're with a friend who wouldn't be offended in the least, but if you're out in public, especially around families with little kids? Show some respect. At least you'll come off as being more mature than most teenagers these days.

I tend to curse casually, at least around friends. I never curse in the presence of anyone older than me, and I don't tolerate any kid who curses anywhere by my earshot, even if they aren't in my family.

I also tend to try to use other words over swear words, as they do annoy me, especially when other people curse. People are generally surprised when I curse, and I wonder why. I suppose I curse less than I think. Ta hell.

Espreon

Lord of the Nagas
    Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2011
    Well in my school they are just words, well when no teachers are around...
    Around adults and other people who are displeased by it I tend not to use them but around my peers which use it and treat them as "just words" I use it (Yes, the F word is just a word in my school...).

I tend to up severity in profanity when I am angry.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    I tend to curse casually, at least around friends. I never curse in the presence of anyone older than me, and I don't tolerate any kid who curses anywhere by my earshot, even if they aren't in my family.

I also tend to try to use other words over swear words, as they do annoy me, especially when other people curse. People are generally surprised when I curse, and I wonder why. I suppose I curse less than I think. Ta hell.
    Same here, I can't stand hearing little kids curse... especially around adults. They're either showing off or trying to act too grown-up themselves, but it comes off as rebellious and just plain stupid every time. Kids should be cute and innocent, geez. XD;

But yeah, if someone wants to curse casually around friends and family who are comfortable with it, then I'm not gonna complain. They're not bothering anything. It's just the ones who don't use any discretion whatsoever that get on my nerves. Like they're not even TRYING to respect the opinions of others.

Espreon

Lord of the Nagas
    Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2011
    Same here, I can't stand hearing little kids curse... especially around adults. They're either showing off or trying to act too grown-up themselves, but it comes off as rebellious and just plain stupid every time. Kids should be cute and innocent, geez. XD;

But yeah, if someone wants to curse casually around friends and family who are comfortable with it, then I'm not gonna complain. They're not bothering anything. It's just the ones who don't use any discretion whatsoever that get on my nerves. Like they're not even TRYING to respect the opinions of others.

Agreed... Except for the "cute and innocent" part, kids should have their own personality not a stereotyped personality.

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    Agreed... Except for the "cute and innocent" part, kids should have their own personality not a stereotyped personality.
    Well, I was talking about when they're younger, and are usually more carefree and happy. That's how my little brother is at the moment. XD; I know they change as they grow... I've had to babysit maaany kids during my 18 years. But I do think that most of them mature too fast these days. They practically lose their childhood when they start trying to act so much older than they actually are, simply because it's apparently the cool thing to do?

Lady Nicole

hello o.o
    Years
  • I swear a little when I'm irritated and a lot when I'm really angry. It makes me feel better, even though they are only words...

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    Wait, what are the swearing, little kids' ages?
    The ones I knew were about... 7-ish, I think? They would do it on purpose to make the adults angry, and it would get so annoying. ._. I think they picked it up from having an older brother who used to talk that way around them all the time.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • Life would just be easier if society didn't have to create profane words. ;S

I never swear, though. It wasn't a habit I picked up.

Years
  • ... I really don't see how a word can be bad after all its just a word. Ah so many things in society just are idiotic. Profanity is forbidden but what ever happened to sticks and stones may break my bone but words will never hurt me? But then again, words leave emotional scars for life and a broken bone heals (hopefully). So I guess in a way I do not despise it because they are just words but in a way I do because they hurt.

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Everyone in my family thinks my childhood flew out the window cause they let me watch PG-13 movies at a young age. xD
    But I learned not to use them very quickly, it's not our religion to say them anyway, and I'm strongly against young children putting them into their vocabulary.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • You're lying to yourself when you say words don't have an impact - they DO. That's why we know when not to say certain things, what words will make one feel happy, sad, angry, etc. There aren't 'bad' words, per se; we just make them bad. =[

Espreon

Lord of the Nagas
    Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2011
    The ones I knew were about... 7-ish, I think? They would do it on purpose to make the adults angry, and it would get so annoying. ._. I think they picked it up from having an older brother who used to talk that way around them all the time.

Kids that age swearing?!? OK now I am scared...

Back