• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question of the Day

myystogan

[cimg=width:30px;"]https://i.imgur.com/gbudGz1.png
    Years
    Shiny Pokemon, or Pokemon with max IVs?

BOTH. Since I have to choose, I'm gonna have to go with max IV Pokemon. They're ultimately more useful, especially since I do competitive battling sometimes.
    I'd just have to live with blue Clawitzers instead of red ones ;-;

Years

I'd pick shinies, since max IVs seem very difficult to breed and on top of that I'm not a competitive battler so that settles it.

Years
    Question of the Day

Shiny Pokemon, or Pokemon with max IVs?​
    As a semi-competitive battler, Max IVs. They're useful just as much in single player as they are online. With the correct nature and egg moves, a Pokemon with 6 maxed-out IVs becomes extremely valuable. I do like the rarity of shinies too, but it's more of a "bonus" trait.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024

Max IVs. Since most of the time I don't particularly care for the shiny palettes much compared to the original colorings, a Pokemon with max IVs would be much better on my time.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    So, as you guys can see, this is PGC's new DCC! As Ben already said, chatting and conversing about the current topic is encouraged! Hope you guys enjoy ^_^

I'd go with the shinies, myself. Since I already have a ton of max IV Pokemon, but haven't had quite as much luck obtaining shinies.

Question of the Day

What's the most difficult in-game battle you've ever faced?​

Last edited:

pkmin3033

What's the most difficult in-game battle you've ever faced?

Misty in Blue. Misty was the bane of my existence when I was a child; her and the damn Starmie of hers. When you pick Charmander and don't adequately level up your Pikachu - which you spend HOURS hunting for and expect to be able to win instantly, because Electric > Water and it's supposed to be just like the anime - you get clobbered. I was not a happy youngester.

As I got older I got better, but in those early days...

Years

Likely the final battle with Ghetsis from B/W. I was kinda surprised at how well my team managed to hold up, considering the very strong Pokemon he has (I hated battling his Hydreigon ugh). But I did beat him on my first try which is at least something to be proud of.

A close second was Brendan (the infamous Route 110 battle) in Ruby. I didn't have a proper counter to his Grovyle so he kept walloping me, until I somehow managed to train up a Grass-resistant Pokemon and relied on defenses to beat him.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years

Cynthia. Her team were not only hard to take down, but hard hitters as well. I've heard others say the toughest battle was Blue in GSC but I haven't played that generation so I can't speak for myself.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Whitney, definitely. Trying to take her down was an absolute pain, haha. Second would be Clair.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016

Uhhhhhhhh... Nope, I've got nothing. I guess I can count the E4 first time through Black because I was so horribly underleveled at the time.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017

Wally; Pokemon ORAS. The battle itself wasn't challenging though.

myystogan

[cimg=width:30px;"]https://i.imgur.com/gbudGz1.png
    Years

VS Lance in HG/SS takes the cake for me. Why so many Dragonites, dude? Seriously. Lance has no chill. I stalled like no tomorrow in that match; I remember being incredibly glad that I had the sense to stock up on healing items before challenging the E4 & Champion, because if I didn't I would've been smoked, lmao.

Another hard battle was VS Ghetsis in BW. I'm glad other people share my pain too, haha. Ghetsis's Hydreigon was a beast.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years

Lance in Red/Blue. Well... I was 9 years old back then. Didn't really understand training and optimizations. The only guide I had was a Prima one back in the day which doesn't really do much other than help you navigate dungeons.

Cynthia in Diamond/Pearl. First time I played through it, I didn't have a hard counter to Garchomp. Spiritomb had no weakness and harassed early enough to make me think a little more. And Milotic ate up quite a few attacks.

Still beat her on the first attempt, but I've used more turns on restoration than I normally do on any recent playthrough (recent as in the last decade :P).

CatAlert

[Insert User Title]
    Years
    For the Max IVs Vs. Shinys question... Both are nice, but I got to say max IVs. I honestly don't see much of a point in shinies at all, and that would definitely save me from having to ditch boxes of unwanted Pokemons if I ever need something with maxed IVs (I tend to get carried away sometimes... Heh).

As for the most difficult battles I've faced, I can't say that I've seen one that is that difficult yet in the two games I've completed. The most difficult Pokemon I faced was a cradlily (On Steven's team in AS). Don't know how, but it almost went through my entire team once.

Years

Blue in FR/LG. For some reason, I had made it to Indigo Plateau with a team of six severely underleveled Pokemon (around 49-53). The Elite Four still proved to be difficult after a bit of Exp. farming, but luckily, I had stocked up on healing items. Blastoise was exceptionally hard to knock out, but I had somehow managed to win thanks to Dragonite having Thunderbolt.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned this yet, but for me the most difficult battle by far was Brock in Pokemon Yellow. Anyone who played Yellow as a kid probably knows exactly what I'm talking about. Your Pikachu is helpless against him, and it doesn't help that all you can catch up to that point are Normal, Flying, and Bug types. I think I had to level my entire team up to like, level 20 before I could beat him. I remember thinking "Oh gosh, if this is how hard the first Gym Leader is, I'm afraid of how difficult the rest must be @_@"

Question of the Day

In your opinion, what's the rarest/most difficult to obtain Pokemon?​

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    In your opinion, what's the rarest/most difficult to obtain Pokemon?

Hoopa! There hasn't been a North American distribution of Hoopa yet, so it's the one event-exclusive Pokemon I have the least of. Besides that, Volcanion is also hard to obtain because it's never been released ever.

Years
    In your opinion, what's the rarest/most difficult to obtain Pokemon?

RSE Feebas, no contest. Game Freak made the little guy much, much easier to find in ORAS, but it was quite the gem in the originals. Out of all the water tiles at Route 119, Feebas can only be fished up from 6 randomly determined tiles on the map; this was randomly re-shuffled whenever the trendy phrase at Dewford Town was changed. I used to spend dozens of hours worth of play time to find a tile, let alone catching an optimal nature for evolving it. I filled up boxes of them as soon as I found and remembered a spot; because of their rarity, you were able to get pretty much any Pokemon you wanted from trading with other players (unless they've found their own Feebas tile)

Back