• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question of the Day

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
  • I'd choose Flabebé, because it's my favorite evolutionary line. And I think Florges would clean up quite nicely ^^ (unless of course I had to face Steven or Wikstrom, in which case I'd just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best)

Question of the Day

Dig or Escape Rope?​

CatAlert

[Insert User Title]
    Years
  • What pokemon to use for a solo? Hmm, this is a good question...

The mudkip line is the one I literally uses for everything, but I am not sure about using one unless it is taught an ice move. Dragon types are another good choice, I think all the games I've played have something ice at some point, so I am not sure about that either.

I'll probably choose something I like in the end, because it is much more fun than trying to decide on a balanced pokemon. It will probably depend on the game I am playing and what will I face...

As for dig vs. escape rope... If I have certain ground types, dig. Otherwise I choose an escape rope.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • What pokemon to use for a solo? Hmm, this is a good question...

The mudkip line is the one I literally uses for everything, but I am not sure about using one unless it is taught an ice move. Dragon types are another good choice, I think all the games I've played have something ice at some point, so I am not sure about that either.

I'll probably choose something I like in the end, because it is much more fun than trying to decide on a balanced pokemon. It will probably depend on the game I am playing and what will I face...

As for dig vs. escape rope... If I have certain ground types, dig. Otherwise I choose an escape rope.

It really does come down to which game you're playing. I think you could make it through the game with just a Mudkip. You might have trouble with Grass types a bit, but there's no Grass-type gym leader or E4 member in Black & White, for example, so it'd certainly be feasible ^^

I usually buy a bunch of Escape Ropes. Even though Dig is far more expedient, it's one more Pokemon I need to have on my team just for an overworld utility move -_- Not worth it, usually.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I usually don't do either, so because of that I use the Escape Rope simply because I always have extras :P

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Escape Rope. Dig requires one of my move slots, and while I liked how powerful it was in gen I, I haven't been too fond of it since then. Plus, in-game, two-turn moves take too long (and I'm already using up one party slot for Fly, except in ORAS, so I would rather not use another). Escape Ropes are also just a lot easier to come by than Dig TMs or Dig users are, for the most part.

I've gotten into the habit of buying a couple of Escape Ropes at the earliest opportunity, and keeping them in my bag for the rest of the game. I rarely use them, but it's nice to know they're there. That practice began after I got lost without an Escape Rope in the Seafoam Islands in Red (where I had inadvertently saved), and I spent far more time that I would have liked trying to find the exit. Since then, I've tried to avoid saving in caves, and I always carry at least two Escape Ropes (so that if I use one and forget to buy more, I still have a back-up).

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • Dig or Escape Rope?

Dig early game when it made sense (need Ground attack for coverage on a physical attacker; BAP of 80 isn't too shabby either), but I wouldn't go out of my way to teach it.

I rarely leave a cave/dungeon midway to begin with. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I use Dig or Escape Rope during an entire playthrough.

pkmin3033

Probably Escape Rope - Dig isn't typically a move that I keep on a Pokemon (I'm not keen on charge-up moves) and Escape Ropes don't really cost all that much.

Of course, I'm more like to just use Repels and plunge on through and get to the end so I don't have to retrace my steps.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    Dig or Escape Rope?

Escape rope! And boy do I burn though them a lot. I'm so lazy sometimes! I'd prefer to use dig, but I rarely teach it to any of my Pokemon.

Years
  • Dig or Escape Rope?

Escape Rope! I remember I used to save my Dig (TM) for my other more deserving pokemon. I remember those days where TM can only be used once and you should really select whom to teach it. I'm really picky whom to use it to that I ended up not using it at all.. {XD}

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Dig or Escape Rope?
    Latter, definitely, as it allows us to get out of more places than, unlike Dig, caves and tunnels.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    Dig or Escape Rope?

Depends on if I have a Ground-type and whether or not they have Earthquake yet or not.

myystogan

[cimg=width:30px;"]https://i.imgur.com/gbudGz1.png
    Years
  • Dig or Escape Rope?

The old me would say Escape Rope, but now I prefer Dig. One or two years ago, I trained an Ambipom to be my Utility Pokemon (Pickup ability with Cut, Rock Smash, Strength, Dig), and I've never looked back. It's almost always in my party, because having a Dig Pokemon is honestly necessary for me, haha.

Embernight

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2022
    Dig or Escape Rope?
    I used to use Escape Ropes, and I still stock up on them just in case, but ever since I learned that my Flygon could use one of his moves (not an HM move) to get me out of caves (of which I hated going through), he became one of my most beloved Pokemon and Dig was instantly one of my favorite moves. I almost never went anywhere in Soul Silver without him in my party. There's nothing like having one of your favorite Pokemon get you out of a place rather than some common item you can buy at the PokeMart. So for me, I prefer Dig over Escape Ropes.

Years
  • Question of the Day

Dig or Escape Rope?​
    Escape Rope any day. Even with a healthy stock, I still find myself navigating through to get out of caves, most of the time. Dig might be useful depending on how early into the game you are, but it gets overshadowed as soon as you have a TM for Earthquake anyway (one-turn and more power).

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • There's definitely better Groud-type moves out there, so yea, Dig is pretty outclassed in terms of in-battle use. So maybe we could say that Escape Rope wins this one by...a landslide ;3

Question of the Day

Shiny Pokemon, or Pokemon with max IVs?​

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    Shiny Pokemon, or Pokemon with max IVs?

Hey Sopheria, I think I'd go with a shiny Pokemon because I don't really do competitive battling. I do battle casually, though, but still IVs aren't as tangible to me as shininess. Or, can I have both? :D

pkmin3033

Shiny. I don't EV/IV train, so having a Pokemon with max IVs means nothing to me. I'm not a shiny hunter either, but I'd definitely value a shiny I happened to get far more than one with max IVs...I probably wouldn't even notice that, honestly!

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    Shiny Pokemon, or Pokemon with max IVs?

Yes.

I prefer shinies, I don't like raising my pokémon to be killer machines as that takes all the fun out of the game imo.

Back