• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Design Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetroBacon

~ <3
Years
  • @Schrroms
    Instead of including the fusions in the Pokedex, you could use a separate key item to track fusions, in a similar fashion to the Unown dex from the Johto region games. The item would simply be a list of each Pokemon's name, and when they are chosen, the sprites of all the Pokemon's fusions will be displayed, as well as the Pokemon required to fuse them.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • Personally I'd reflect the Pokedex interface across the center of the screen - have two sliders to pick Pokemon and move each slider to individual Pokemon in the fusion.

Schrroms

Pokémon Infinite Fusion dev
    Years
  • Personally I'd reflect the Pokedex interface across the center of the screen - have two sliders to pick Pokemon and move each slider to individual Pokemon in the fusion.

Hmm.. I really like this idea.
    It sounds intuitive and easy to navigate.

Now to try to make it work... hahaha

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2015
    Hmm.. I really like this idea.
    It sounds intuitive and easy to navigate.

Now to try to make it work... hahaha

You can make like two "Regions". One is original 151, the other is all the fusions. Then the player selects what region he wants to see when opening the dex, like normal.

Schrroms

Years
  • How do you guys feel about modifying the type chart?

I'm considering making a few changes in type effectiveness to buff/debuff some types and just shake things up in general. These are the changes I'm considering

Poison now supereffective against Bug (like Gen 1)
    Bug now supereffective against Poison (like Gen 1)
    Poison now supereffective against Water
    Ice now immune to Water
    Dragon now not very effective against Ice

What would you think about those changes?
    Would they help balance things or would they just mess everything up?

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • How do you guys feel about modifying the type chart?

I'm considering making a few changes in type effectiveness to buff/debuff some types and just shake things up in general. These are the changes I'm considering

Poison now supereffective against Bug (like Gen 1)
    Bug now supereffective against Poison (like Gen 1)
    Poison now supereffective against Water
    Ice now immune to Water
    Dragon now not very effective against Ice

What would you think about those changes?
    Would they help balance things or would they just mess everything up?
    Balance against what? Singleplayer? Multiplayer? What do you define as "balanced" ? Having a 50/50 shot at winning/losing?

With no other info, I'd recommend figuring out which Pokemon are available in your game and how your type chart changes will affect play with them.

At a glance, your type chart changes make Poison and Ice more valuable as Pokemon types(Assuming a Gen VI type chart plus these changes). Are Poison and Ice Pokemon less common in your game than the average Pokemon game? Are you reducing the effectiveness of Dragons because they are more common?

Schrroms

Years
  • Balance against what? Singleplayer? Multiplayer? What do you define as "balanced" ? Having a 50/50 shot at winning/losing?

With no other info, I'd recommend figuring out which Pokemon are available in your game and how your type chart changes will affect play with them.

At a glance, your type chart changes make Poison and Ice more valuable as Pokemon types(Assuming a Gen VI type chart plus these changes). Are Poison and Ice Pokemon less common in your game than the average Pokemon game? Are you reducing the effectiveness of Dragons because they are more common?

Singleplayer for now. Possibly Multiplayer at some point in the future. Mostly, I just want to make as many Pokemon usable as possible.

Yes the main idea was to buff ice and poison types because I always thought they were very lacking (defensively for ice and offensively for poison).

The game only has the first generation of Pokemon, as well as every type combination between them (fusion). I retyped some Pokemon and so there are 3 lines with the dragon type.

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2018
    How would one go about balancing starters that are just regular Pokemon? Like say Psyduck, Corphish, and Starmie. Would you change their stats to match one of the six region's starter Pokemon? Or use the latter's base total and work things out from there?

Schrroms

Years
  • I replaced Fly by Teleport as an HM in my game. Fly is still in, but it will have the effects of Soaring.

Pokemon don't have to learn the move to be able to use an HM, but I'd still like to change the effects of Teleport to make it a bit more useful in-battle.
    Any ideas on how I could do that?

I'm thinking on maybe making it boost evasiveness like Double Team or maybe making it a Psychic version of Volt Switch or something.
    Or maybe just making a Psychic version of Fly in-battle as well?
    Ideas?

Last edited:

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • I replaced Fly by Teleport as an HM in my game. Fly is still in, but it will have the effects of Soaring.

Pokemon don't have to learn the move to be able to use an HM, but I'd still like to change the effects of Teleport to make it a bit more useful in-battle.
    Any ideas on how I could do that?

I'm thinking on maybe making it boost evasiveness like Double Team or maybe making it a Psychic version of Volt Switch or something.
    Or maybe just making a Psychic version of Fly in-battle as well?
    Ideas?
    One interesting use for Teleport is that it could be one of the few Psychic moves which not only is physical but also makes contact, and would fill the same niche as Hyperspace Hole, as the Pokemon teleports to range and delivers a blow.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • So here's a somewhat simple design question - For my game's Mega-Electrode, I'm implementing an ability which affects the success rate of Poke Balls thrown. Does anyone have any thoughts on a name for such an ability?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
  • Given it's a Mega Pokémon's ability, I'll assume that you want it to increase the capture rate of opposing Pokémon (I doubt you want it to make Mega Electrode harder to capture). I'll also assume that you only want it to increase the capture rate, and never lower it. If you don't want me to make assumptions like this, provide more information.

Suppressor
    Subjugator
    Enforcer
    Quell Voltage

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • Given it's a Mega Pokémon's ability, I'll assume that you want it to increase the capture rate of opposing Pokémon (I doubt you want it to make Mega Electrode harder to capture). I'll also assume that you only want it to increase the capture rate, and never lower it. If you don't want me to make assumptions like this, provide more information.

Suppressor
    Subjugator
    Enforcer
    Quell Voltage
    Haha, isn't that a little pedantic, Maruno? Yeah, the goal is to increase the capture rate of wild Pokemon opposing the player's Mega Electrode and not lower it. I'm liking Quell Voltage, though!

(Since I don't have any plans to implement competitive play at this point, I figured that a noncompetitive Mega which could help in capturing new Pokemon for Pokedex completionists wouldn't be objectionable)

Years
  • Hello! Brand Spanking Newbie reporting for duty lol!

Anyway, couple of beginning (and beginner!) questions...

Firstly: Gyms. I've seen earlier in this thread a certain dislike of removing gyms and replacing them with alternative options but I was kind of thinking about doing this anyway with the thought that after the game was 'over' people could go back through and train up other pokemon via rechallenging the 'Battle Clubs'. This is something I like doing, but it's tricky + frustrating bc you can't rechallenge most other trainers so it gets a bit dull and grindy. I figured that having different challenges (e.g. only being able to use a certain type of pokemon, not being able to use any items etc) might increase the replay value bc I personally get a little bored of 'ah yes, bug gym, fire starter, bam'.

Basically, the question is: do the gimmick or just let the gyms reset after game 'completion' so people can keep playing with a new team?

Starters: Thoughts on Bonsly/Vulpix/Klang as starters? At this point the first gym (if I wind up going the gym route) is Ground themed and if I'm interpreting the type charts right (they give me such a headache) all three pokemon should be equally weak to ground type pokemon, right? I plan to give Klang a stat tweak to bring it down to match the other two though.

Does this seem like a good mix/would another pokemon work better/should I just whack in a random gen starter trio and call it good?

Intro: I've played other fangames where I think you were able to assign your name/gender etc shortly into the game after having a wander around, but Essentials says you need to do that right at the start and now I'm not even sure how it would work bc you'd need an overworld sprite during the wander-round ...

But even so I had a really cool idea based around it - can anyone think of a way to implement it bc I'm fairly sure I've seen it done..?

Years
  • Starters: Thoughts on Bonsly/Vulpix/Klang as starters? At this point the first gym (if I wind up going the gym route) is Ground themed and if I'm interpreting the type charts right (they give me such a headache) all three pokemon should be equally weak to ground type pokemon, right? I plan to give Klang a stat tweak to bring it down to match the other two though.

Does this seem like a good mix/would another pokemon work better/should I just whack in a random gen starter trio and call it good?

Does Rock/Fire/Steel form a type effectiveness triangle? I know Fire trumps Steel, and Rock trumps Ground. Does Steel trump Rock?

Also, Bonsly and Vulpix each have only one evo, while Klang has two evos. Ignore this, I thought Klang was the baby one, not the middle.

Years
  • Does Rock/Fire/Steel form a type effectiveness triangle? I know Fire trumps Steel, and Rock trumps Ground. Does Steel trump Rock?

Also, Bonsly and Vulpix each have only one evo, while Klang has two evos. Ignore this, I thought Klang was the baby one, not the middle.

I think Steel does trump Rock but as I said, headache ... for example I only just today realised that Rock has 1/2 effectiveness against ground (I figured if I gave players a hard stone very early in the game that would balance it out and make things fair again, yeah?)

I've been going back and forth on Klink vs Klang - I really like raising pokemon from their bitty-baby forms to vicious killing machines so I feel like Kling might be better from that angle, but at the same time, you're right about the other starters having just the one evolution so Klang suits more from that pov ...

I think I might be overthinking it lol :)

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    Intro: I've played other fangames where I think you were able to assign your name/gender etc shortly into the game after having a wander around, but Essentials says you need to do that right at the start and now I'm not even sure how it would work bc you'd need an overworld sprite during the wander-round ...

But even so I had a really cool idea based around it - can anyone think of a way to implement it bc I'm fairly sure I've seen it done..?

You could do something like have your character wearing some kind of outfit that conceals their true identity for a short time, or have the player control another character during the prologue sequence a la several other RPGs - depending on whether you can tie these ideas into the main story well enough.

Years
  • You could do something like have your character wearing some kind of outfit that conceals their true identity for a short time, or have the player control another character during the prologue sequence a la several other RPGs - depending on whether you can tie these ideas into the main story well enough.

Those are both good ideas ... controlling another character might get complicated, but an outfit of some kind might be a neat idea - the concept I'm playing with makes really thick, heavy weather gear a totally valid option for the first wee while...

I'll have to mess around with that a little - thanks :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back