• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    I'm hoping to give rom hacking a shot, but the problem is that I have a mac. To run boot camp I would need to buy a windows license and I don't want to spend that money right now. I've heard that people have made hacking tools for mac, but are there enough of them that I will be able to do a basic rom hack with them, or is it not worth trying?
    Well. Exactly what can you not do because of your mac? I have a mac and I don't really feel handicapped. The only tool that I can even think of using right now that is not native would be A-Map (and wine deals with that).

Lunacrest

has ninja'd: 2600
    Years
  • How do you change the Trainer Battle music that plays during the actual battle? I made my first Gym Leader script today, and it works perfectly; I just want there to be the correct battle music. I've tried changing the Intro music in both Hopeless Trainer Editor and the G3T tools, but it hasn't changed anything. Help?

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2016
    Well. Exactly what can you not do because of your mac? I have a mac and I don't really feel handicapped. The only tool that I can even think of using right now that is not native would be A-Map (and wine deals with that).

What tools do you use, then? Most of the ones I've encounter have been .exe files. I'm trying to work with wine/winebottler but I don't know if I'm doing it correctly; I managed to get Advance Map working but I haven't been able to open XSE with it. I also got YAPE open but it's not reading any of my firered ROMs (it says there's an error reading base stats).

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    What tools do you use, then? Most of the ones I've encounter have been .exe files. I'm trying to work with wine/winebottler but I don't know if I'm doing it correctly; I managed to get Advance Map working but I haven't been able to open XSE with it. I also got YAPE open but it's not reading any of my firered ROMs (it says there's an error reading base stats).
    Maybe that wasn't the right phrasing; I didn't mean the tools themselves. YAPE for example. Not even PC owners use it anymore. You can use Gen III Hacking Suite instead, and there are various other non-mac tools that open with wine, all of which are more flexible than YAPE. For scripting, I used PKSV in the past but I was told it was bad, so there's also Red Alien Script Editor. Yeah, there are a lot of exe tools, but a lot of tools aren't even very useful and can be done more easily by hex. In terms of things I wanted to actually do, nothing has been prevented by me having a mac.

Zef

zef
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    has a less tedious method of inserting trainer sprites been discovered, or do we still need to use NSE?

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2023
    Does anyone know the palette location for the Status Screen at 0xE9A460 in FireRed?

Quoting to ask again. Didn't see an answer and thought it might've been overlooked.

Edit: Or better yet, can anyone direct me to a tutorial to edit the status screens? I've seen hacks with them changed, but I can't find anything on it when searching.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    has a less tedious method of inserting trainer sprites been discovered, or do we still need to use NSE?

It's really not very tedious. As long as you have an indexed image, it takes under 30 seconds to insert. But to answer your question, yes, you still have to use NSE.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2016
    Maybe that wasn't the right phrasing; I didn't mean the tools themselves. YAPE for example. Not even PC owners use it anymore. You can use Gen III Hacking Suite instead, and there are various other non-mac tools that open with wine, all of which are more flexible than YAPE. For scripting, I used PKSV in the past but I was told it was bad, so there's also Red Alien Script Editor. Yeah, there are a lot of exe tools, but a lot of tools aren't even very useful and can be done more easily by hex. In terms of things I wanted to actually do, nothing has been prevented by me having a mac.

Ah, okay. I'll check those out. I wish I could find a centralized and updated list of all the useful tools that people are using these days. It's hard to know what's outdated and what isn't, especially when beginner tutorials written a while ago are recommending old tools. Thanks!

Uncommon

Oozma Kappa
    Years
  • Quoting to ask again. Didn't see an answer and thought it might've been overlooked.

Edit: Or better yet, can anyone direct me to a tutorial to edit the status screens? I've seen hacks with them changed, but I can't find anything on it when searching.

Check out this post. It's in Spanish but Google Translate does a pretty good job (plus it's mostly images anyway).

TL;DR version - there are five palettes: 0xE9B310, 0xE9B330, 0xE9B350, 0xE9B370, and 0xE9B390. The post demonstrates what each one controls.

LCCoolJ95

Limited Capacity
    Years
  • How do you use Battle Script Pro with abilities? I'm trying to insert this script into the game (CCCCCC for LightningRod):

#dynamic 0x000000
    #freespacebyte 0xFF

#org @Main
    ppreduce
    attackstring
    pause DELAY_HALFSECOND
    jumpifstat BANK_TARGET B_= 0x4 0xC 0x082DB596
    setbyte 0x202448F 0x0
    playstatchangeanimation BANK_TARGET 0x10 0x0
    setbyte 0x202448E 0x14
    statbuffchange 0x80 false 0x00000000
    setword 0x203E320 0x9033060
    printstring 0x184
    pause DELAY_1SECOND
    waitmessage DELAY_1SECOND
    orbyte 0x202427C 0x8
    goto 0x82D8A4E

But whenever I hit the compile button, I get two errors saying:

SQL logic error or missing database
    no such table: commands.

and

An item with the same key has already been added.

What am I doing wrong? This is from MrDollSteak's explanation with editing LightningRod, which is found here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...&postcount=116

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2017
    Hello.I have a problem - I can not download attachments files.If I clicking on the attached file, I open a new tab, through which I do I can not download.What can I do,to download file?

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Hello.I have a problem - I can not download attachments files.If I clicking on the attached file, I open a new tab, through which I do I can not download.What can I do,to download file?

The PokéCommunity forum was hacked a few months ago. Attached files were affected, or to be more specific, were deleted. The staff have made an effort to fix them, but of course, not all attached files will be fixed.

You can report these missing attachment files in this thread -> clicky~

Years
  • I am looking for a Dark Ho-oh spite(like Shadow Lugia or XD001),but have not found one. Just wondered if anyone could let me know how or where to get one? Its for my hack which surrounds Dark Lugia and Hooh

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back