• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rank each generation based on games

Years
  • Based on your preferences, what would you rank each generation?

For me (although I love Pokémon games as a whole and being at the bottom doesn't mean it's bad):

1) Gen 5
    2) Gen 3
    3) Gen 2
    4) Gen 7
    5) Gen 6
    6) Gen 4
    7) Gen 1
    8) Gen 8

SwSh was still a good game, and I have so much Kanto nostalgia - they're just still not high on my list despite liking the games a lot, for their own reasons.

What about you guys?

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Hard to say...

1. Gen 2
    2. Gen 3 (kinda interchangable with Gen 2, really)
    3. Gen 5
    4. Gen 6
    5. Gen 7 (kinda interchangable with Gen 6)
    6. Gen 1
    7. Gen 8
    8. Gen 4

I really don't like gen 4. This might be due to me having played Platinum this year instead when it came out (though, I did play SoulSilver and liked it). It just didn't age well, imo. Gen 8 they just took things out and didn't really give us something that I found to be worth it. No exploration on the sidelines, just linear routes and even the Wild Area was very limited. I don't mind the lack of story. But even what story they gave us I found way too much and not "gen 1 enjoyable".

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • 1. Gen V
    2. Gen VI
    3. Gen IV
    4. Gen II
    5. Gen VIII
    6. Gen I
    7. Gen III
    8. Gen VII

Gen II used to be my favorite generation, but I'm afraid how dated it is, requires me to bring it down a little. In a list that was time of played, Gen II would be second place, right under Gen V.

When Pokemon Legends Arceus comes out, it's entirely possible that Gen VIII will skyrocket in favor for me. But right now in between Sword/Shield (which were fun in some ways, but the features and Pokemon lost really took it down, sadly), and the very mediocre Diamond/Pearl remakes, it's ranked lower.

Gen III and VII are both the generations that disappointed me greatly at their time and thus keep their low positions. Gen VII is bottom by default since it includes LGP/E. But even without that, the Gen VII games weren't very fun for me.

Years
  • Hmmm...

The first two are kind of interchangeable for me.
    1) Gen 3 / Gen 6
    2) Gen 6 / Gen 3
    3) Gen 4, but it has it's behind saved by fond memories of playing HGSS as I never cared much for DPPt lol. If gen 4 was just DPPt this would be almost at the bottom.
    4) Gen 7, I suppose. It was a refreshing experience.
    5) Gen 8.
    6) Gen 5. Other than the music I just never card much for this gen.
    7) Gen 2. This one is hard for me to rank as I never played it at the time. I did play the Crystal VC though.
    8) Gen 1. Despite fond memories of it as a kid, I wouldn't play these now even if you paid me. The quality of life features from the newer games is too important to me =p

Last edited:
    Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    1. Generation 2 (Gold/Silver/Crystal). Contributed so much to the series in terms of mechanics. Capitalized more on breeding later in the series, sure. Was filled with wonder at what ridiculous moves this could teach Pokemon. Included a surprise visit to post-Generation 1 Kanto. Loves a lot of this generation's Pokemon too. Cannot confidently say this would be as fun nowadays, however. May desperately miss things like abilities and the physical/special split.

2. Generation 7 (Sun/Moon). Enjoyed the Totem Pokemon. Battles differently now because of them. Completed several challenge runs in these games.

3. Generation 6 (X/Y/OR/AS). Would have been much lower down on the initial story playthrough. Balanced the Experience Share incredibly poorly. Offers good challenge run potential with its wide list of Pokemon. Got into the Battle Maison this generation also. Found it fun to create teams. Discovered a love for doubles battles.

4. Generation 8 (Sword/Shield). Flubbed a lot this generation. Owes its position to the Wild Area and extra save files. Managed okay on rivals and character customization too.

5. Generation 5 (Black/White). Credits this game with the most interesting story. Dropped the ball on designs. Disliked a lot of evolutions. Tried to copy Generation 1 a bit too much also.

6. Generation 4 (Diamond/Pearl). Never played Platinum. Remembers relatively little of this generation. Corrupted the save file. Produced some good Pokemon designs, as well the Physical/Special split. Might deserve one ranking higher.

7. Generation 1 (Red/Blue/Yellow). Struggles to place this one. Has not played it in ages. Enjoyed it at the time. May not view it as fondly nowadays.

8. Generation 3 (Ruby/Sapphire). Never played Emerald. Earned last place for one reason: Pokemon designs. Struggled to create a team. Based decisions far more on typing than usual. Cares for none of the starters either. Cannot say that of any other starter trio.

Years
  • 1. Gen 5: It's my favorite because I love both pairs of games it gave us, B2W2 being the only real sequels in the series and my all time favorite Pokemon games. I also like the amazing post-games of Gen 5 and sequels also have the coolest battle facility ever in PWT.

2. Gen 3: Love Hoenn and Kanto, this Gen is the best for repeat playthrough imo since it feels super fast to get through and it doesn't smother you with too much "plot" and dialogue. FR/LG are also my favorite remakes so far.

3. Gen 7: This is where it gets harder to choose but I think Gen 7 is my third favorite. Even though it's terrible for repeat playthroughs because of the long cutscenes and tons of dialogue, the experience from my first time going through Alola was amazing. It has the best story in the series alongside Gen 5's B/W and the games look beautiful imo. I also like the difficulty of Ultra versions and the changes to the old formula with Trials instead of the Gyms.

4. Gen 4: Another generation with not so great replay value because of how slow it runs but it's still an amazing generation. I love Sinnoh despite it's flaws and Johto remakes are beautiful for a DS game. I also like the tons of content outside of the main story that Platinum and especially HG/SS offer.

5. Gen 2: Despite of how old it is and how bad the level curve of Johto is, I still love Gen 2 and think it has a lot to offer. I would argue that it even has more replay value than a lot of the generations that came after. I especially love that it's available on Virtual Console now so you don't have to worry about the battery and losing your save file, the addition of Celebi event in Crystal is also super cool.

6. Gen 6: I feel bad for Gen 6 since it had so much potential but I guess being the first game in 3D meant that Game Freak wasn't really experienced with 3D technology and this Gen paid the price, X and Y feel super unfinished and the fact that there was no third version makes this even worse since I feel there is a lot of stuff left unsaid and unfinished about the Kalos region. I still love the mega evolution even though it wasn't implemented very well into the X and Y since it barely shows up during the game. ORAS were better but they are still the only remakes where I prefer to play the originals (R/S/E) more and that says something I guess...

7. Gen 1: Gen 1 is where it all started and it was an amazing game for its time, I would argue that it holds up ok even today compared to the other games from that time. It has my respect for starting this amazing franchise that I love so it doesn't deserve to be in the last place just for that reason alone.

8. Gen 8: The only generation that disappointed me so much that I didn't even want to play it. I saw playthroughs and pretty much decided that I don't want to waste my time or money on these games. Hopefully with BD/SP and L:A the series gets back on track because Sw/Sh weren't it, especially not for a Switch game from 2019/2020.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Gen 4: my fav story and memories. DPPT are my fav games in the series because i love everything bout it: characters, story, music, places, pokémon. HG/SS amazing games too.
    Gen 3: nice memories here too. I like mainly emerald, because it's different and it's more complete. now, i'll be honest. much of this generation has good memories for me because i was in my "let's explore old games" phase and i was obsessed with GBA games lol. but anyway, i loved the region, all that water lol, the music and the story. It was a truly good game.
    Gen 5: the only reason it's here is for the story/characters. It's the best written story and it's the more realistic one. i think it wasn't for children at all since it's pretty deep. Anyway, i still prefer DPPT story lol. Tastes, i guess. I didn't like anything else bout this gen tho. When i played it as a child for the first time, i had a very bad experience with this game, since i basically hate 90% of the Unima new pokemon. now it's like 85% lol. I liked some cities, but i didn't like the graphics and the sprites and music at all. Indeed, despite those were new games, i still played DPPT lol, i was obsessed ik. and i still am lol. (not for BDSP tho. they ruined the game for me huuh).
    Gen 2: it's over gen 8 just because of HG/SS tbh. i liked many things about this gen but in the end, idk it feels kinda anonymous since even the evil team is still Team Rocket. Pokèmon of this gen and Jhoto itself are amazing and i love em, but idk, it's kinda a "silent generation" for me, even tho many mechanics of the whole series started from here, which isn't always positive tho lol.
    Gen 8: alright, the thing is it's actually a nice game. imo, the best since gen 5. The thing is, especially when it comes to the story, even if it's incredibly easy and short, it isn't so bad as the one from gen 6 or gen 7. I like the pokemon and the graphic style, despite we all know it has some bad issues lol. I liked Dynamax, which is prolly my fav mechanic between megas and z moves. I liked how they renewed the concept of "gym" and the whole battle circuit. Music was kinda good and the region wasn't too bad, except the fact that it is basically a straight line lol. DLCs were pretty good. Now, I think many people kinda don't evaluate the Island of Armor in the right way. I actually got lost in there many times and there were a lot different areas in just one small island. but every area was interconnected. Now, this is something i wanted. That's something that imo missed from the 4th gen, which is: being able to explore and even get lost. Now, the island is small and after a while the magic may disappear, but the feeling was great. I didn't have the same feeling with Crown Tundra, even tho it's still the best DLC imo. New pokèmon, new stories, new areas and Dynamax adventures. it was all pretty fun. Also, and i should have mentioned before, this game is addicting. I didn't feel like this since gen 4 maybe. I mean, i can't even imagine how much time i spent for Dynamax raids or for making my pokemon competitive, which is ridiculously easy. It was a nice experience, that made me spend much time on the game, than everything else probably. Indeed, there's something i hate about this game. it's too easy, i never died lol, too fast, even tho it's ok because u have more time for competitive, and cut dex. Now, i get why they cut the dex in the game and i kinda agree. but, when the game is over, when u have nothing else to do, there's no reason to not reintroduce old mons. I mean, pokemon is s "monster collector" game, how can it be if u don't have the opportunity to actually collect all of them?
    Gen 6: mixed feelings about this. i had a very good vibe when it came out, especially because it fixed many things i didn't like in gen 5: music, new pokemon, the region and also the graphic style. However, i did hate the story and the characters were all plain. felt like nothing. i mean, it was a pokemon game i did in a fast way and then, once i finished it, i didn't play it anymore. It says much about the game, for me. Megas were a very nice feature i enjoyed, but tbh not too much. also, this game has a weird gaming rhythm. u re soon in the first gym, then there is the second/third gym part which is slower and then it returns to be super fast.
    Gen 1: i m gonna be killed for this lol. The thing is, it's not a fun game, at least for me. it was the original one and it had many new features, new ideas and so on and we should all give extra points for this. but judging it as a gaming experience, it lacks in many things for me. I mean, the region, the music, the story , the characters. it was just meh to me. even tho gen 2 takes much from gen 1, i have to say that gen 2 did a really great job at surpassing gen 1. but it's my opinion/tastes again.
    Gen 7: multiverse. lol. i wanna use this word. it pretty much sums up what i think about this game that i truly didn't like. The thing is: it was me at first who said: "hey, pokemon is just the same every time. they should change stuff. -me in 2014". so i quit playing pokemon. til ususm. when they came out i was like "hey, they listened to me? lol what?" and i was excited for every new thing. Except, every new thing sucks for me lol. I mean, first of all, they went over the limit: it's ok to abandon some classical mechanics, but NOT EVERYTHING IN ONE GAME. It was weird and tbh they didn't even manage to do it. Like, the idea of several islands instead of a whole region is nice, but all u have to do is literally just going straight and there's that fucking RotomDex that really wanted to ruin ur gaming experience lol. I didn't like the region, i didn't like the pokèmon and last but really not least the story. I don't know which story between gen 6 or 7 is the worse for me, but like i think they're both terrible tbh. I mean, the idea behind the story was really cool, but "hey GF, if u can't handle a normal story at all, how can u handle a story that includes Multiverse, where there may be lacking spots basically everywhere?". and indeed, it was like that. Also, i didn't like Lunala/Solgaleo evolution thing. I mean, u can't treat a legendary pokemon like a baby that can't fight. it's just weird. That's what i m talking about. till then, legendary pokemon didn't have evolutions, so, to change things in the series, they decided to go for it, but as a resukt it was just really weird. For me, at least. In this case, Swo/Shi managed to do that in the right way, with Kabfu/Urshifu. Same for regional forms. Alolan forms are weird and i didn't like most of them. i didn't like the idea as well tbh, because instead of just coloring a pokemon with another color or adding a weird wig on their head or making their neck ridiculously long, they could have invented just a couple new mons, for example. When it comes to Swo/Shi tho, regional forms are really great and amazing and i started liking the idea. Now Hisui already have the best regional forms for me tho lol. Other thing i hated was that not every pokemon has its entry in the pokedex. like wtf, they could have literally just copied and pasted stuff, like they did for other games. at least, it could have felt complete. i still prefer this to cut dex tho. also, z moves and totem battles kinda sucked, they were annoying tbh.

Noir

Sir Lucious Left Foot
    Years
  • 1) Gen 5
    2) Gen 4
    3) Gen 3
    4) Gen 2
    5) Gen 1
    6) Gen 6
    7) Gen 7
    8) Gen 8

Never played Gen 8 and Gen 7's tutorial hell is something I wish on no one. I'm very biased towards Gen 4 as that's the gen that really got me into pokemon to begin with but looking back, Diamond/Pearl have aged like sour milk and Platinum is carrying the entire gen on its back. Gen 5 really gave us something fresh and new and I appreciate that! BW2 fixed any problems BW had and gave us so much value without taking much away, peak of the franchise imo.

Years
  • Gen 5
    Gen 2
    Gen 1
    Gen 6
    Gen 3
    Gen 7

I've never played Gen 4 and Gen 8 and I can't rate those.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • 1. Gen 4: D/P/Pt represent the peak of Pokemon games. This gen ranks #1 despite HG/SS being major disappointments.
    2: Gen 3: Basically saved by FR/LG (and Leaf the protagonist) and Colo/XD. If we're judging by just the Hoenn games, this gen would rank MUCH lower.
    3: Gen 6: Serena and trainer customizations are pluses, and the games have potential. The less said about the OR/AS remake games, the better.
    4: Gen 8: Meh, the best part was trainer customizations.
    5: Gen 5: Meh, good storyline marred by gameplay/QOL annoyances.
    6: Gen 2: Dated, but have a charm that the remade versions of these games lack.
    7: Gen 1: Buggy, glitchy, and don't stand the test of time.
    8: Gen 7: Horrible character designs, horrible region, horrible story. This gen is dead to me.

It's hard to judge by gens since sometimes the remakes released during a gen are either much better or much worse than the "main" games, or so I've found out.

Back