• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Reusable TMs!

Years
  • (I stuck the BW tag on this because it was the game that introduced it)

So, as we know Black & White introduced tons of changes to the Pokemon games and one of them is TMs being changed to being infinite use, meaning you no longer had to be worried about losing a TM or having to think twice about what to teach it to.

How did you enjoy the convenience of resuable TMs? Share your thoughts!

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • (I don't think you need a tag for this really, but eh, it works!)

I think Reusable TMs are amazing and they should of done this ages ago, haha. I mean, I used to hate farming for BP for the Earthquake TM, to teach a multitude of pokemon I was breeding and raising pokemon on the 4th gen games. Urgh.

Fortunately, reusable TMs are much, much better and saves much more time, and increases your pokemon's potential in-game!

Juliandroid98

The night hunter
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    The change of TM's being reusable was huge for me.
    Before the change I would often save up TM's because I never knew when to use it properly and on who.
    But I find myself using TM's a lot more know, which I'm happy with :D

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I have to say I applaud the introductions of Reusable TMs! I can't think of any strong points, as I'm a bit slow lately. XD But I do really enjoy this amendment a lot.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Okay.
    BW are underrated.
    They did introduce a lot of good features that I loved.
    Reusable TM is awesome. I don't ever want to go back the old way.

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
    Years
  • This was a great idea. Whoever at Game Freak though of this, thank you so much. When I get my hands on the TM's Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, Ice Beam, and Psychic I want to teach them to as many Pokemon as I can

Years
  • Now for my own response...

I think resuable TMs were the best thing to introduce to Pokemon and it's so shocking it wasn't done sooner, but the change definitely helped improve my playstyle because now I don' have to be too careful about what I teach the TMs to. As Mawa said, B/W may be underrated but you have to give credit for giving it one of the best improvements in the games.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    This, along with the auto prompt to re-use Repel, was probably the greatest introduction to the main games, honestly. it was something that I think was long overdue and now when I go to replay older games, it's something I have to consciously remind myself to save this or that TM, instead of just using all of my good TMs on pretty much every Pokémon I catch, lol.

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2021
    As a sufferer of severe pack rat syndrome, re-usable TM's are an absolute blessing. TM's might as well have not existed prior to 5th Gen because I would never use them. "What if I catch a poke that could use the move more effectively?" "What if one of my dudes evolves into something that can use the TM and I wasted it on another poke?"
    But what I really, REALLY appreciate is that re-usable TM's open up some game design choices. TM's suddenly become extremely valuable rewards you can put for the player at the end of a cave or hidden in a secret location, whereas previously they were items you stuff away most likely to never use. Finding the really well hidden Earthquake or Shadow Ball suddenly becomes a fantastic prize as opposed to something you're hesitant to expend. Niche moves become stuff you're willing to experiment with as opposed to never even considering trying out.

Years
  • I really only ever used TMs on pokemon I'd be keeping in my team the whole playthrough and only if absolutly needed to improve its survival rate. Now that they don't break with one use, I use them as much as I need to without having to wonder about wasting them.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Reusable TMs was simply the greatest feature to be ever introduced in the Pokemon games. I think its pretty much a welcome feature that should have made it years ago and everytime i play some ROMhack or fanmade game with this feature plugged in, I smile every time.

It made the TMs acquierd from Gym Leaders a lot more meaningful since we got access to moves that would easily help out any moveset gaps such as boosts, coverage, and other useful features, while waiting for a much more powerful TM to easily replace the said move with.

Years
  • Reusable TMs was definitely a great feature that changed how we play the games now.
    I'm glad it was introduced as one didn't have to worry about losing or wasting a TM like before. I think this really had an impact on Nuzlockes as players could teach a TM to a Pokémon and not anguish if that Pokémon was lost as you still had the TM.
    If I have to decide on a disadvantage, it would that there wasn't a risk/reward system present anymore. I actually liked that with the old way of using TMs; it made you consider who could use the TM the best as it was only one use.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    A very great feature, since now I don't need to worry if I made a Pokemon forget a TM move that would be useful later on.

Also, very useful when it comes to building a better moveset.

Years
  • It so damn feature , you will change moves before going to any gym fight and then the TM is still after u use it.
    You could have a team of diglet full of move earthquake.

LucarioFan3

Needs A New Username lol
    Years
  • I personally found it to be the best new mechanic from all of Gen 5. It made choosing what Pokémon to use TMs on much easier.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    The Reusable TMs it the best feature yet, I don't have worry twice about what pokemon to teach and avoid being wasted it. I can just recycle easily without worries

Anime Sucks

It was so annoying having to trade with someone if you wanted to use the same TM with more than one Pokemon. I definitely appreciate reusable TMs. In fact, I would be shocked to find anyone who doesn't.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I find reusable TMs to be a refreshing change, and it's for the better, as well, because that means I can teach all of my Pokémon with any move that I wanted it to be without worries of ever losing one.

Back