• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rivaling thoughts

Favorite Rival/Friend

• Blue

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • silver

• May/Brendan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Barry

• Cheren/Hugh/Bianca

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Calem/Serena/Trevor/Shauna/Tierno

• Hau/Gladion

• Hop/Bede

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Nemona

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
Years
Thought id give thoughts on the current rivals in the mainline games, feel free to do so as you'd like

Blue: generic ass, never liked. Above average battler

Silver: generic "friendship is for losers" seen the concept done alot, dont care much for it. Pretty good battler

May/ brendan/ wally: May/brendan are fine enough but kinda just exist with unremarkable battles, meanwhile wally actually has the chops for battling but is not present enough. Mediocre overall

Barry: well meaning impatient doof, dont care for him. Eh battler

Bianca/cheren: Bianca is interesting as someone who really just wants to adventure to find a purpose for her self and is pretty entertaining, but makes for meh battles. Cheren is a better battler but less interesting character wise. Both pretty decent

Hugh: my personal fave. A guy who challenges you not because he wants to be the champ, not because he thinks your weak or he is superior, but because he wants to make sure that when push comes to shove you've got his back. Admittedly his motivation for being in the story is kinda meh but i find it nice regardless. Pretty good battler too

Gen 6 rivals: who?

Hau/gladion: Easy going and ready to complete the island at his own pace, i think he is a great "rival" as far as character. Gladion meanwhile fills the battler role, but is kinda lesser in character

Hop: interesting to see him transition into many teams trying to figure out how to get out of his brothers shadow. Decent battler

Bede: Ass ass for no reason, above average battler

Marnie: Kinda bland character, decent battler

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
Alright, I'll give my opinion on the rivals because why not?

Blue: He fits the true definition of a rival here. He is directly competing with you to complete the gym challenge to become Champion and the Pokédex for Professor Oak. He is also the best battler compared to the other rivals by far, as he has the toughest AI, high leveled teams, the only one to become Champion thus far, and actually uses a team that would be really good competitively in real life. 10/10 (Very good competitive rivalry with teasing and a challenging team)

Silver: He is directly competing with you to become the world's strongest trainer. Unlike Blue, a childhood friend of yours that happens to start teasing you because of his competitive nature, Silver isn't your friend at all and clearly has issues because of his relationship with his father. I believe that he is a great rival because of this aspect of his character and his character development to become a better person near the end of the journey. His team was above average as well, but not great. 8/10 (Made it clear that it wasn't your friend and was like a secondary antagonist).

Brendan/May: Technically, I wouldn't say that they fit the true definition of a rival because they're not directly competing with you to either become Champion or the strongest trainer. Instead, I would say that they serve as each other's love interest in a way, which introduced a different dynamic to "rivals." I liked them because I thought the support they had for you was cute and is perhaps the only instance of the main character having something similar to a love interest. They didn't have the best teams or highest levels, but the aspect of their relationship was what was great for me. 9/10 (Because of the cuteness)

Wally: Ironically, Wally might actually be the only one in the generation 3 games and their remakes that truly fits the definition of a rival because he directly competes with you to challenge the gyms and become Champion, but of course, you happen to crush his dreams after defeating him in Victory Road. Wally also surprisingly has a strong team in post-game and would actually be pretty good competitively. 7/10 (A great story of overcoming obstacles, but he didn't appear too often).

Barry: A childhood friend of yours, but also, a true rival that directly competes with your character to become the strongest trainer, I personally found him a bit annoying because of his hyperactive personality and him always triggering some sort of cutscene after reaching a new city. Nonetheless, near the end, he had a really high-level team and one that was well-structured. 6/10 (Very strong trainer, but kind of annoying).

Bianca/Cheren: I found this aspect of "rivalry" extremely interesting because the generation V games created the illusion of traveling with your best childhood friends. However, based on the definition of rival, I would mostly consider Cheren to be a rival of yours because he too is attempting to become the strongest trainer, often challenges you to prove his strength, and gets upset when he loses. While I don't think they were the greatest battlers with the greatest teams, I loved the idea of the main character traveling with friends. 10/10 (Because of the friendship)

Hugh: Hugh definitely does not fit the definition of a true rival to me, as he doesn't compete with you at all for anything. In fact, I would consider Hugh more of a tag team partner of yours than a true rival, as he often finds himself battling with you more than against you. Whenever he does battle you, it is always to test you to help you complete your goal. His main goal is to look out for his little sister and get her Purriloin back that Team Plasma stole a while ago. He was relentless in his quest to look out for his sister and is a great friend to your character, as he helps you just the same. He has that big brother instinct. 10/10 (Because of the friendship and his sheer determination).

Calem/Sarena: What I enjoy about the rivals in generation 6 is that it took the idea of traveling with your friends and expanded upon it, which I love. What I loved about this is that not only did it feel like I was traveling with friends in a way, but it also felt like I was part of a friend circle in game. Calem or Sarena definitely felt more like a traditional rival compared to the others, as they wanted to become the strongest trainer and often challenge you to prove it. Like Cheren, they would also get pretty upset if they lose. However, neither one of them had the most powerful teams though. 10/10 (When including them all and considering the friend circle. Otherwise for just Calem/Serena, 8/10).

Hau: Hau is definitely a good friend of yours throughout the game and is a very likable character. He does directly compete with you to complete the Island Challenge, making him a true rival too. One interesting thing about this rivalry is that it seems be an inverse of the Red/Blue rivalry. Much like how you have the Pokémon with the type disadvantage to Blue and he is always one step ahead of you, Hau has the type disadvantage to you and you're always one-step ahead of him. Also, like how you as Red challenge Blue for the championship after he beats the Elite Four, Hau challenges you for the championship after you become the first Champion. Unlike Red however, he ultimately loses to you. His team, however, isn't exactly the best. I also wasn't a big fan of the fact that I often felt sorry for him after beating him so many times. 7/10 (Great friend and traveling companion, but was often too down on himself after losing).

Hop: Hop seemed to combine elements of Hau and Hugh, serving as both a best friend rival and a tag team partner in many instances. He also undergoes a lot of character development after he loses to Bede, where he becomes more humble. Hop is also the only main rival that acquires a legendary Pokémon through the main story, which might potentially make him the most powerful rival if he ever took becoming Champion more seriously with his legendary Pokémon. However, I wasn't a big fan of the fact that he was often a downer. Much like Hau, every time I defeated him, I felt sorry for him. His team also wasn't that good and I don't know if it was because of my play-style, but I thought his team was really underleveled as well. 6/10 (Great friend like Hau, but also like Hau, he was even worse when it came to losing).

Bede: Even though he might not be the main rival, he definitely qualifies as a true rival because he directly competes with the player to become Pokemon League Champion. He also was a throwback type of a rival, as he is one that isn't friendly with you and often disrespects you, similar to Silver in many ways. However, he does undergo character development somewhat after he gets kicked out of the Gym Challenge. I really liked him as a rival and thought he had a lot of character. 8/10 (Great callback to the old school disrespectful rivals).

Last edited:
Years
Blue: Generic jerk. The only good thing that comes out from fighting him is stomping him flat, over and over.

Silver: Uses Pokemon as tools. Commits crimes if necessary. I'd knock him out and drag him to jail in the games if I could.

Barry: Most annoying rival ever. I'd delete him from the game if possible.

Shauna: I just really liked her. Don't really find the other XY rivals particularly memorable, but being rivals with a group of friends was kinda fun.

Idc enough about the others to comment on them. I do like May, but never really considered her a rival.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Online now
  • Blue: Did not sign up to be rivals. Go away.
  • Silver: Did not sign up to be rivals with a criminal either. Go away.
  • May/Brendan: Remembers basically nothing about them.
  • Barry: Exhausting. Not a fan.
  • Cheren and Bianca: Remembers too little to comment. Played these games too long ago to remember.
  • Calem/Selena: Boring. Actually felt like friends with them on some level, at least. Teamed up to beat up Team Flare a few times.
  • Shauna, Trevor, and Tierno: One-dimensional. Appreciated them being there, regardless. Met up several times. Gave the impression of travelling loosely with friends. Showed different ways to enjoy Pokemon also. Deserved more character moments.
  • Hau: Not a fan. Grew tired of the repetition of protecting smiles. Sounds creepy. Never felt noteworthy, good or bad, before that.
  • Hop: Liked Hop the best, in terms of character. Began as a starry-eyed kid trying to emulate their sibling. (Related to that, as a younger sibling.) Found their own way in the end. Would have benefitted from more setup on that turn to Pokemon Professor's assistant.

Really needed help with team composition, however. Literally brought zero Special moves with Cinderace or Rillaboom on the team in the final postgame match. Lorded over Hop with the usual Defense boost + Body Press tactic.
  • Marnie: Views Marnie favorably for not being stuck-up, despite all the fans.
  • Bede: Like Blue and Silver, go away.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Blue: I liked Blue/Green, I thought he was a good rival because he was rude, and a jerk and felt like someone I actually want to beat. Don't understand the hate, really. Nor is he generic, in my opinion.

Silver: I'm bias for redheads, so I like him because he has red hair. I find him interesting because he stole a starter and thinks Pokemon are tools to be used, and I liked his evolution in HGSS.

Brendan/May: Very disappointing rivals that quit halfway through and didn't even bother evolving their starters to final forms in the original games, but some of their fights were difficult. Slightly improved in OR/AS, but meh overall.

Wally: He was okay, I like how he was someone you helped, and then he sees you as a rival and is your final obstacle in Victory Road/first opponent in Victory Road.

Barry: I don't have a problem with him. I think he still counts as a rival since he's not too friendly, and not too mean. Never really found him annoying.

Cheren: I liked him as a rival, and liked his evolution from rival to gym leader. He definitely had some difficult battles, imo.

Bianca: She was okay, and I liked her story, tbh. But she definitely isn't that much of a rival.

Hugh: The last trainer I could honestly consider a rival. I didn't find him too annoying, and I thought his story of trying to get his sister's Pokemon back wasn't all that bad.

Calem/Serena: eh. They're the only decent rival in X/Y, and even then they're not that great.

Trevor, Tierno, Shauna: they're not memorable, and barely count as rivals. Ngl, don't know why we had so many "rivals" in X/Y, most of these characters you only battle once or twice, unlike previous characters.

Hau: He's not my rival, you're his rival...I don't find him too bad, but he's not that good, either. Too friendly, in my opinion.

Gladion: I don't know if he counts as a rival character, but he's pretty alright, if you ask me.

Trace: I skipped LGPE for a reason.

Hop: Hop was pretty good. I don't think he's that bad, nor is he just "Hau 2.0" he's actually pretty competitive, and I liked his character development.

Marnie: She needed more battles, to be honest, it's a shame she didn't get that many.

Bede: I liked what they were trying with Bede, but he needed more battles in the story. After Opal took him to become a gym leader, we barely hear from him again.

Years
So you just dont like any of them but shauna? Bit harsh

Truth often is harsh :coolcat:

More seriously though, I've never been a fan of the forced ''here's this person that lives next door, who just happens to be your childhood friend of a similar age, who you have a rivalry with'' shtick that they've been doing for so dang long now. Most of the rivals are just a nuisance that keeps popping back up to me. But hey, it's free experience for my mons at least =D
I'm not gonna magically give a dang about a certain NPC just because the game tells me it's supposedly a friend, when I don't like their character, or am just indifferent to them. I tend to not like people who force themselves on me in general. As a result there are only few I actually like based on how they acted in game.

It'd be cool if they'd let you pick a random trainer, from a decently sized selection if need be, as your rival yourself though. Something fancy like that is never happening though.

Also it's not like I dislike the ones omitted, they just didn't really stand out either way to me. I did come close to liking Marnie, but felt like she could've done more to keep team Yell in check.

Last edited:

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
Truth often is harsh :coolcat:

More seriously though, I've never been a fan of the forced ''here's this person that lives next door, who just happens to be your childhood friend of a similar age, who you have a rivalry with'' shtick that they've been doing for so dang long now. Most of the rivals are just a nuisance that keeps popping back up to me. But hey, it's free experience for my mons at least =D
I'm not gonna magically give a dang about a certain NPC just because the game tells me it's supposedly a friend, when I don't like their character, or am just indifferent to them. I tend to not like people who force themselves on me in general. As a result there are only few I actually like based on how they acted in game.

It'd be cool if they'd let you pick a random trainer, from a decently sized selection if need be, as your rival yourself though. Something fancy like that is never happening though.

Also it's not like I dislike the ones omitted, they just didn't really stand out either way to me. I did come close to liking Marnie, but felt like she could've done more to keep team Yell in check.

I'm like the exact opposite though. I loved the friendship aspect. It was like a completely different type of experience for me. lol I just think it adds more character to the story.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 13, 2023
For my rival, I would want someone that motivates me to compete and train up my Pokemon, not someone that's all friendly and kind. Bonus points if my rival has some character development by the end of the game. I liked having Wally as a pseudo-rival in Pokemon Emerald because he had a strong team when you got to the Pokemon League and you could clearly see that he became a stronger trainer which was just what he wanted to do.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
For my rival, I would want someone that motivates me to compete and train up my Pokemon, not someone that's all friendly and kind. Bonus points if my rival has some character development by the end of the game. I liked having Wally as a pseudo-rival in Pokemon Emerald because he had a strong team when you got to the Pokemon League and you could clearly see that he became a stronger trainer which was just what he wanted to do.

I strongly agree with this approach. However, I also believe there should be a mixture too because I also love the idea of having friends throughout your playthrough.

Years
i have had precisely zero opinion on any of the "jerk" rivals, because they've left zero impression of me bar Blue. their only personality trait is being an absolute pain to the player, so while i guess for some people it made sense to have that sort of approach in a rival, i personally didn't care much for that.

sinnoh had barry who i personally think is a happy medium between jerk and friendly. he had ambitions to be better than you in every way to keep the rivalry going, but didn't overdo it in the way the jerk rivals did. his fining gimmick is also kinda funny. on the other hand, gen 6 i think overdid it with the friendly rival approach. all of them fall into the same forgettable category for me, so no need for me to list out all of them individually because i think the same about all of them anyway.

gen 7 and 8 had way better rivals for me because for the most part they actually had impressionable personalities (although you can probably sum up Hau as "malasadas!!!" he did actually have goals for himself) and character development in the cause of Hop.

Years
blue: i loved him. i never saw him as a friendly rival or a jerk rival but just a rival, even though he IS kind of friendly in a jerk sort of way. i think my favorite dialogue from him is when he battles you at silph co. and says something along the lines of "i guess team rocket slowed you down! not that i care!" and then after you beat him he immediately admits that he only battled you to see if you were ready to take on giovanni, which was honestly sweet in an eleven-year-old type of way. he's got a great team also! i always looked forward to his encounters!

silver: my favorite rival of all time! i genuinely loved his development throughout the game (gsc specifically, because the way they altered his dialogue in hgss pretty much nuked his redemption arc into nothing and i really hated his hgss portrayal) and i think he's really funny in a way because he's just some kid in oversized clothing but he managed to scare an adult man into giving up his sneasel. it was hilarious. my favorite interaction with him is at mt. moon, where he admits that he talked things out with his pokémon and that they're working as a team now. coupled with how often he calls his pokémon cool and tough...he's really just a little rascal overall. i don't really hold it against him for being mean at the beginning because he WAS raised by team rocket and it was really only to be expected that he'd spout the same schtick when he's never been taught otherwise

brendan/may/wally: i think the only one here i'd call a rival is wally, but i honestly feel like he was more of a distant friend than a rival. great team though! i got jumpscared by him when i played through emerald because i wasn't expecting him at the beginning of the road instead of the end and he got me GOOD because i was underleveled. as for brendan/may....they were good friends! not really much to say about them.

barry: i loved barry! he was a good challenge while also being a good friend to the player and i feel like he was a really good example of what a friendly rival should be. still can't believe he had the patience to find a munchlax for real....

bianca/cheren: gonna be honest i thought cheren was pretty weak when it came to battles but for someone who was written as the "weaker" of the two....bianca actually ran me into the ground a couple times because i was underleveled and unprepared. i did play black 2 first so i was more used to them as a professor's assistant/gym leader respectively and it kind of threw me off a little bit when they suddenly became my childhood friends but i did really like them! bianca was definitely more interesting of the two, though. sometimes cheren just seemed like he was repeating the same lines over and over again.

hugh: my first rival and one that i absolutely LOVE, probably as much as silver. he was like barry but better to me because he was the EPITOME of what a friendly rival should be. he was your friend first and foremost but wanted to make sure you were strong enough to watch his back and your own and his motivation to help his sister was sweet. i always felt so bad for him when he came face-to-face with the stolen purrloin-turned-liepard and it didn't recognize him at all. GREAT at battling as well!

calem/serena/shauna/trevor/tierno: calem/serena and shauna seemed friendly. other than that, despite the fact that i spent a LOT of hours in xy as a kid, i barely remember them.

hau: i loved hau and i think he was great as a friend! not too hard of a battle, but he made up for it with personality and i really looked forward to his encounters.

gladion: i loved gladion and always looked forward to his encounters as well! a good battler and i loved his story about running away with type: null. i do have some inquiries about his hair though, because....what even IS that

hop: i did like hop, but it kind of seemed just a bit like they were trying to copy hau personality-wise? and it just didn't work out, because they're two different characters in two different regions. i never liked how they decided to make him go down the path of professor's assistant because it seemed like it came out of nowhere.

bede: like hop, i did like bede, but it did feel like they were kind of trying to copy silver at first. just a little bit. opal basically adopting him made me laugh like crazy though and i did love how his in-game model instantly started to look happier after he was taken in by a parental figure that actually cared for him! he was an okay battler i guess, but when it comes to the galarian rivals i have a history of sweeping their teams pretty quickly haha

marnie: she was friendly! there wasn't really that much to her character, though, which is a shame. as a result, i don't really have much to say about her.

Years
I notice there's not a lot of love for Barry but that's ok! I love his energy and the mini character arc he goes through. He's just your doofy friend. Reminds me the most of an actual kid. :)

Lavender

No, your gonna face ME first!
Years
Favorite Rival/Friend

What's your favorite set of rivals out of all the gens?
Please let me know your favorites!

Mine is Cheren/Bianca/Hugh, They all have so much personality, and they were fun in the bw/bw2 manga.

Years
bianca! she's a little offbeat compared to other rivals, but i love her optimism, and her character development is so well written

barry is a close second, because he genuinely grows as a trainer and feels like the kind of friend anyone could have

Days
Maybe its a bit of a "genwunner" sort of answer, but Blue. He's the original arsehole, the no-frills rival who shows up infrequently to test your skill, and is always one step ahead of you, aspiring you to do better just in case he pops up. The first time I played Red, every time he appeared I was caught completely unprepared and he actually beat me a couple of times! To be fair I was quite young, but he impressed upon me the importance of training in the games, and he was never insurmountable, just a useful check on strength and preparation for the next challenge, be that the next Gym Leader or an upcoming battle with a slightly stronger than average trainer like Giovanni.

Honestly I never really got a sense of character development from later rival characters, even those who appeared more often and had spoken dialogue: they just don't appear often enough to feel like fully fleshed-out characters to me. Their more amicable nature makes them feel more like friendly NPCs than rivals, and with many of them picking the Pokemon you're strong against, they don't add quite as much challenge as Blue did initially.

Years
Definitely Barry. I have always been the quiet type, so I had several friends having the exact behaviour Barry has, so idk it just kinda felt pretty real. I also think he has a very good design, a very good battle theme and it's overall an interesting character as well

Years
  • Age 35
  • Online now
What's your favorite set of rivals out of all the gens?
Please let me know your favorites!

Mine is Cheren/Bianca/Hugh, They all have so much personality, and they were fun in the bw/bw2 manga.

Merged your thread in Pokemon General with the one in Pokemon Gaming Central. Posts (and quote-pings) to keep others who have responded (and who have yet to respond) in the loop.

Apparently kept the poll in the merge. Interesting. Might as well remain active.

Back