• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hack's Recommendations

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2021
    Hello,

I'm looking for a game that would allow me to easily breed and train pokémon. The goal is to be able to get competitive mon without too much of a hassle. That being said, I'd like if the game had all pokémon up to Gen 7/8, nature and IV/EV changers and some other related QoL features. A compelling story is a plus, but not really necessary.

I've tried Unbound, but the post-game is kinda grindy because you need so much BP to use the Battle Frontier features...

Thank you very much.

Try Pokemon Radical Red

rwbonesy

Dogulus Rift
    Years
  • What is the current hotness in terms of QoL hacks (not difficulty-related either, I'm getting sick of kaizo-tier Pokemon romhacks getting shilled endlessly) for Gen 3?

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2021
    What is the current hotness in terms of QoL hacks (not difficulty-related either, I'm getting sick of kaizo-tier Pokemon romhacks getting shilled endlessly) for Gen 3?

Unbound probably has the most QoL changes among all newer Gen 3 roms. It does have difficulty settings, but the default setting is vanilla.

rwbonesy

Dogulus Rift
    Years
  • I mean QoL as in vanilla game experience but with bells and whistles. Unbound doesn't fit and I think you missed all my posts on its thread where I was specifically aggravated with it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2023
    Im looking for a game like gs chronicles something that has the similar story line

Years
    • Seen today
    Im looking for a game like gs chronicles something that has the similar story line

That's a bit ambiguous. You mean something with the Johto storyline specifically or anything set in an already existing region with the same story. There are plenty of fan games / rom hacks that follow/remix/revamp the story of the first three gens (especially for Gen 1)

Sudonim

Doing things that are completely unnecessary
    Years
  • I'm looking for "crusty" hacks.

That probably doesn't make sense, so allow me to clarify.

I'm looking for hacks that are either really old (Like around 2008-2010) and therefore didn't have much of a bar set for good hacks, or are made by someone with less experience, or something else around that area. Not stuff that isn't fun to play, but not something that tops the charts either. Basically I'm looking for hacks from the dollar store, if that makes any sense whatsoever. I also don't care what language they're in, so go nuts. I realize that this is a strange request, but I figured I'd ask in case I get anything.

To clarify, I'm not looking for stuff to crap on, I find it fun to look at stuff that doesn't get seen often or are made by aspiring creators. They tend to have a charm to them that I really enjoy.

If there are any other places that'd be a good idea to look I'd appreciate that too. I've found a few, but their download links were dead and the only remaining links are shady adfly links which I refuse to go anywhere near.

Cheers.

Last edited:
    Years
  • That probably doesn't make sense, so allow me to clarify.

I'm looking for hacks that are either really old (Like around 2008-2010) and therefore didn't have much of a bar set for good hacks, or are made by someone with less experience, or something else around that area. Not stuff that isn't fun to play, but not something that tops the charts either. Basically I'm looking for hacks from the dollar store, if that makes any sense whatsoever. I also don't care what language they're in, so go nuts. I realize that this is a strange request, but I figured I'd ask in case I get anything.

To clarify, I'm not looking for stuff to crap on, I find it fun to look at stuff that doesn't get seen often or are made by aspiring creators. They tend to have a charm to them that I really enjoy.

If there are any other places that'd be a good idea to look I'd appreciate that too. I've found a few, but their download links were dead and the only remaining links are shady adfly links which I refuse to go anywhere near.

Cheers.

Hey! This is the right thread to ask, so I moved it here.

azurefel

l o a d i n g: 15%
    Years
    • He/Him Them/They
    • USA
    • Seen Jan 3, 2024
    I've been playing rom hacks for quite a while and I found a few that I would truly recommend, mainly for the difficulty curve!

If you like more challenging roms, I would absolutely recommend the Dark Risibg series, Theta Emerald EX, and the Polka Aqua series!

All games have a rapid difficulty incline which may require extra grinding. So... if you don't mind grinding EXP (like myself i have a ball with games like these jsuwwhgw-) then this is what I recommend!!

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2023
    I am looking for a hack set in Hoenn with a new (good) story and similar or slightly harder difficulty. I am a bit tired of always starting in Littleroot with the same old story. Haven't been able to easily find something that matches my request. For reference, my favourite hack is Rocket Edition, because of how different the story feels. But the stealing pokemon mechanic, though fun, is not something I want in every game. Also not a fan of EV/IV training, as it ruins the unique feel to each pokemon

rwbonesy

Dogulus Rift
    Years
  • Back again. Any interesting upcoming/recent RMXP/non-romhacks or Gen 1/2/3 romhacks that fit these criteria?:

1) If not an upgrade to the original games the original plot fits more in-line with the plot you'd expect in a Game Freak developed game (so more of a Gaia than a Reborn, Empyrean, or Unbound).
    2) Difficulty is also more in-line with a Game Freak developed game (again, more on the scale like Gaia than Reborn, Empyrean, or Unbound).

If it's an RMXP game, it doesn't necessarily have to be hosted here, like for instance I'm hoping I enjoy the Pokemon Xenoverse English version whenever it hits.

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2023
    I JUST DELEATED ALL MY HACKS.... I WANT BUT I CANT PLAY THEM ALL AT SAME TIME.... I WANNA PLAY ONE JUST ONE UNTIL THE END.... AND SO PLAY ANOTHER ONE AND OTHER AND SO ON... BUT WICH ONE SHOULD I TO START WITH?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Back again. Any interesting upcoming/recent RMXP/non-romhacks or Gen 1/2/3 romhacks that fit these criteria?:

1) If not an upgrade to the original games the original plot fits more in-line with the plot you'd expect in a Game Freak developed game (so more of a Gaia than a Reborn, Empyrean, or Unbound).
    2) Difficulty is also more in-line with a Game Freak developed game (again, more on the scale like Gaia than Reborn, Empyrean, or Unbound).

If it's an RMXP game, it doesn't necessarily have to be hosted here, like for instance I'm hoping I enjoy the Pokemon Xenoverse English version whenever it hits.

Seems like you're into stuff that would fit into the Sideshow Showcase. You can always give my hack a shot if you want a fixed-up gen 1 experience. The difficulty is adjustable. The hardest it gets is if you play the Master branch in SET mode with level scaling turned on; basically makes all the enemy trainer stats on par or a bit better than your own.

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2021
    Looking for a Gen1 similar to the Red151 (file wasn't available anymore), but all 151 available without trades etc, updated colors, and difficulty would be nice but mostly looking for ability to get all the first gen with no trades.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Looking for a Gen1 similar to the Red151 (file wasn't available anymore), but all 151 available without trades etc, updated colors, and difficulty would be nice but mostly looking for ability to get all the first gen with no trades.

Gotta shill my own hack once again; check out Shin Pokemon. You would want the master branch for 151 availability and some adjustable difficulty. As for color, it displays the expanded color palettes from the Super Gameboy when playing on a GBC or in GBC emulation.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2024
    Looking for suggestions of a vanilla-ish hack of FireRed to play. The main things I don't want are: fakemon, and a different region than Kanto. Storywise I want it to be the same story as well, though if there are, say, some additional battles or something, that's OK. As far as mechanics, I'm fine with it being just some Quality of Life improvements like reusable TMs or Repel usage like what started in B2W2 etc. Some other changes like adding in Moves from later Gens or the Physical/Special Split or adding the Fairy type etc. I'm not necessarily looking for, but it's fine if they're included. I know what I'm asking about is kinda bland compared to some hacks, but any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
    Years
  • Hey guys,

In most canon pokemon games and romhacks, one thing I grew to dislike is the amount of unnecessary grind required to add a new Pokemon to a team.
    I often like to build a team of 6 right at the start of a game and then switch members along with the current needs.
    But with wild pokemon being underleveled and exp yield being ridiculous, the process is tedious for a casual player like me, I have rather limited time and don't want to spend it battling the same wild Pokemon over and over again.

I would love recommendations of romhacks that at least spare some of the following features:
    - More trainers or trainers that offer re-matchs
    - Removing the exp yield bonus on trainer battles -> Makes experience points homogen in all types of battles
    - Altered exp point yields or more higher yield wil encounters
    - novelty forms of battling

I always find it so sad that in a game where you collect a full Pokedex, building a team that's usable is actually so long and tedious

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Looking for suggestions of a vanilla-ish hack of FireRed to play. The main things I don't want are: fakemon, and a different region than Kanto. Storywise I want it to be the same story as well, though if there are, say, some additional battles or something, that's OK. As far as mechanics, I'm fine with it being just some Quality of Life improvements like reusable TMs or Repel usage like what started in B2W2 etc. Some other changes like adding in Moves from later Gens or the Physical/Special Split or adding the Fairy type etc. I'm not necessarily looking for, but it's fine if they're included. I know what I'm asking about is kinda bland compared to some hacks, but any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

alright I usually don't try to just rec my stuff, but if you want mostly normal game with only a few changes, my stuff may be up your alley.

I have 2 hacks done so far that are both base fire red, my hacks are mostly feauture/mechanics based so they are both the normal story for the most part, but with a twist that changes how you interact with the world you know to make it new and fun again.

First is Pokemon Z-Random - which features moveset edits so the only damaging attack is metronome - more info at the link.

The other is Pokemon Inverse Alter - it's still new so I'll be a bit vague, but it reverses certain functions in the game, making some pokemon and abilities that were bad, much better.

They are both built with cfru, but the random hack is more feature rich, it has all pokemon in original game accessible, custom move sets for every pokemon *by necessity
    updated evolution methods (to make later gen and trade evolutions more accessible) reusable TMs, HMs are usable without teaching them. You get running shoes earlier as well, and if you want you can treat it like an open-world experience and explore the world in nearly any order.

A few pokemon are found in different areas. Also some have slightly boosted stats to make them more viable.
    And every move into gen 8, is useable via metronome.

Inverse Alter has reusable tms, early running shoe, and move relearner access, and augmented mart items (just to a lesser degree than the other game) *also due to necessity

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2022
    Looking for a gen 2 romhack based on the prototypes of Gold/Silver other than the Spaceworld 97 build, such as the Spaceworld 99 build where Cherrygrove was a large city with a gym and Cianwood didn't exist yet, or a Nihon-based hack including Pokemon even older than Spaceworld 97 such as the scrapped Silver legendary lion. Gold 97, Super Gold 97 and Reforged are great hacks based on Spaceworld 97, but I believe there is room for even more hacks to be made based on the new information we have.

Back