• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

School Gym Class

Years
    • Seen today
    When in school, did you have any fond memories of gym, or was it something you dreaded? Or something you were nuteral towards. What kind of things did your school do?

I'm not sure how many people had to do the pacer test. My school loved having us do this.

We had to all stand in a line, and run back and fourth a certain distance until we hit exhaustion and couldn't do it anymore. When the signal sounded anybody who wasn't running fast enough was eliminated. It's turned into sort of a meme because of how terrible it was.

I could only do about 20 runs back and fourth. It wasn't good, but I would get nervous before it started so my heart would race before the run began. I just made an effort not be the first quitting.

Other than that my school loved having us play dodgeball. I much prefered dodgeball.

Years
    I've heard horror stories of Gym from people but It wasn't at all like that for me or anyone who went to the school.

We just learned and played different sports, did warm ups, had certain activities for the time in the semester. In summer we went down the field.
    I have no idea what the pacer test is.

EDIT: but then again, gym here is simply meant to give kids some physical activity some may not get otherwise. Basically a health thing. Grading was more based on participation and attitude.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

I didn't do P.E. once I reached Secondary School - I usually conveniently "forgot" my kit, so I'd stay in uniform and watch. As a kid I generally enjoyed it because every Friday we got to go swimming, but...well, sport was for the popular kids, and I was never popular.

Years
    • Seen today
    I didn't do P.E. once I reached Secondary School - I usually conveniently "forgot" my kit, so I'd stay in uniform and watch. As a kid I generally enjoyed it because every Friday we got to go swimming, but...well, sport was for the popular kids, and I was never popular.

I put it off until my last year of highschool, which was stupid on my part. Because I was stuck with a very loud class of freshmen. By the time I hit senior year I had completely mellowed out.

So anytime the teacher had us doing a group activity I felt so out of place.

That's so lucky. I would have loved swimming. But it was mostly dodgeball every day.

Years
    I enjoyed it for the most part. We generally did a new sport every month or so, occasionally we'd do something a bit more silly/fun. I was never particularly good at most of them, although sometimes I'd stumble into something I was much better at than I expected to be lol (looking at you tennis and high jump), but I was rarely flat out terrible which was fine. It was just nice to get out of the classroom twice a week (or once if it was a double session).

Although, I did still drop it once it stopped being mandatory after year ten. I had no intention of pursuing it beyond that since I wasn't planning on pursuing sports or physio or anything like that as a career. Rather ironic, in hindsight, that I was already doing a job/hobby that was very athletic lol.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I didn't have to take a P.E. or swimming class in high school thanks to earning my credits through sports. I did take weightlifting from second semester of my freshman year onwards though. Least favorite part of our weightlifting class was the maxes we'd have to do for the athletics records. Vertical tests, 40 yard dash, and long jump all just suck because literally everyone is watching you do the thing and if you only for instance have a 4 inch vertical like me then it becomes really embarrassing. You can literally hear the snickers from all the track kids when you take longer than 6 seconds to run a 40. Favorite part of weightlifting was literally any other day besides records.

I don't remember much about the daily gym life before high school. I know in middle school we did a lot of mini-tournaments. One week we had a table tennis tournament and I came in 2nd out of 60 of my peers. That's all I've got in the vault besides dodgeball and rolling around on those little square karts in elementary school.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't know if it's any different now, but back when I was in school it was little more than a joke of a class

which was fine by me

Years
    Our gym was basically just a run down outdoor basketball court with no actual equipment or anything. We'd literally spend PE classes dancing 70% of the time lmao. Literally nothing like US gym classes that I keep seeing on TV.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    my school was very athletic and i was not so gym kinda sucked most of the time. i ended up forgetting* my gear a lot and staying on the sides as much as possible
    the rare dancing segments were fun tho

Years
    The only part of gym I ever liked was soccer (football) because that's the only sport I played. Dodgeball and volleyball were tolerable to an extent. I hated (and still hate) basketball.

EDIT: oh, and these things were the bomb diggity
    Spoiler:

Back