• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Second (or Third) Accounts

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    This is one of those habits of PC which has always puzzled me, and since the ban on Username changes and things it seems to happen much more often. I mean I even noticed someone with only one post has now set up a new account, not going to name names but that seems a bit... odd.

Of our 304,000 members how many might be inactive accounts that got abandoned for a newer one?

So, a few questions:

How many accounts have you had on PC?

If you have changed accounts before, why?

Do you think there be a limit on duplicate accounts?

Feel free to add any questions you can think of.​

Years
  • I have about four accounts on PC, one of them an alt account to this one if I don't really feel like coming online through this, another is a reserved username since that will be the name I always change to if for some reason I can't use this one and the other one was a joke account I made to go along with a member appreciation blog I made a while back. I've never switched accounts, I've logged into my other accounts and made a post or two but that's about it. Wouldn't call it switching.

I'd say there should be common sense applied to the amount of accounts a single person can make. Sometimes someone might need to make three accounts for whatever reason. But if someone is just making accounts for no reason at all, say for example new pokemon are revealed and someone just wants to reserve every single pokemon name account then some action should be taken since that wouldn't really be fair.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I have one side account which I use to send myself PMs about how good I like and how cute I am n.n

Nah, but I do have a side account. I made it with the intention of using it for Fan Fics since I want to post some but I don't want it tied to this name since it'll be clear it's me doing it and I don't want people to have that in their heads whilst reading it. So posting them under an alt would be ideal :3 But within minutes of making it everyone already knew it was me, so now it's just more of an account I use for testing and sending some VMs when I don't want to talk to people on this account. And yes, I do have a conversation going with it. /sad

I've never changed accounts before though and as for a limit of side accounts, 2 sounds fair just so that names don't get taken up too quickly :3 But I can understand why people may want to make more.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I only have this account currently, though I'm considering changing accounts just for a new name and profile, considering I made this name when I was about ten years old and I find it rather embarrassing. Ironically, I can't figure out another name either, so I might just end up keeping this account. Plus, I've had it for a long time. No, I haven't moved before. I don't think there should be a limit on duplicate accounts because a lot of people have duplicate account for name-holders or other things like showcasing profiles or something, so I don't think that having duplicate accounts should be outruled or there should be a limit, because I feel as if people know not to make so many accounts as to make PC completely unstable.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I have 3 alt accounts. They were all created around a time where I didn't feel like posting around as myself. I also like messaging those accounts and storing whatever I like. One alt account is a supporter (thanks, Mac!) so I can use it to design profile themes.

Also, I have my original account, but I can't log into it. I kinda forgot I made it. I don't really consider going from my 2006 account to this account as a switch, though.

I don't think there should be a limit. If ya capped it at like 5 alt accounts, members may run out there and create those alts, only to later asplode when they're obsessed (or depressed!) about ______ and can't make a new alt.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Ohhh dear I don't remember how many accounts I have. I looked in the birthdays list on my birthday and noticed there were four in there that belonged to me- my first account, this account, and two from like '05. And I've got Dent, Cilan, Aurea, um... a few others I think. Just for the fun. But I have actually switched accounts- my first one was... I didn't like it. With no option to change names I just did away with it and started over. This is much better.

I dunno if there should be a limit. I know some people have like sixteen alt accounts, but most only have their main and maybe one alt. If there were to be a rule, then lots of people would be irritated and most wouldn't care anyway. And it's not like alts do much harm besides maybe using a name that someone else would like. idk I don't think there should be a rule because it's not worth it really. And what is people have used up their limit but want to switch accounts? It'd just be problematic.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I don't think there should be a limit. If ya capped it at like 5 alt accounts, members may run out there and create those alts, only to later asplode when they're obsessed (or depressed!) about ______ and can't make a new alt.

And it's not like alts do much harm besides maybe using a name that someone else would like. idk I don't think there should be a rule because it's not worth it really. And what is people have used up their limit but want to switch accounts? It'd just be problematic.

The thing is - why does anyone need an alt account for different things? It seems to be the mindset that you can't just 'be yourself' and go to different areas/do different things around the forum. The norm shouldn't be to go make another account to post fanfics or hack or roleplay or whatever.

Twilight used the example of designing themes, to utilise an old account I'm guessing, but realistically you could do that with your normal account and just note the settings if you need to change back. Since you already have an old account to do that with it's hard to pose the question of 'would you make an account simply to test designs' now.

Well I'm not sure if the amount of members has anything to do with server load, but if everyone had 16 secondary accounts then I'd imagine it could cause problems - quite why anyone needs that many I'm still not sure.

So far the reasons seem as followed:
    - Wanted to change username.
    - To post things without everyone perceiving you as a moderator (at least that's what I got from Ozzy's).
    - To avoid people/start over.
    - Forgetting previous details/not being able to log in.​

I think these are all reasonable points, and sometimes necessary. But if these were the only cases then the most accounts anyone would really need would be three or four, tops.

I think the point which is most bothering, like EternallyAnna pointed out, is that actually it does stop usernames being used - and people have used this method to reserve nicknames for themselves. Now for established members that might not seem a bad thing, but it's the kind of move that could put new people off - I for one wouldn't want to have to stick numbers on the end of my normal username. I expect loads of current members make new accounts whenever a new game/character/monster is announced, if they're going to stick with that then sure... but otherwise it seems a little unfair.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Thing about the username-taking issue is that... I never have had a problem picking what username I wanted for my accounts. A whopping zero of them have numbers or 'xxx's of anything. One may have a ~ but that was a style choice. Actually no wait that was because 'Anna' was taken haha but that was to be expected; Anna is a common name and I only tried to get it like last year. But other than that, none of my accounts have add-ons to the actual name. And I'm just wondering... if I can make like ten accounts with none of that crap on, why can't someone else be creative and make one? It's certainly not that hard, even with 300k users.

I'm not saying alts are necessary or even useful. They're just a bit of fun, really. I used my Cilan account to do some kind of silly self-cest RP-ish thing with Mew~ on the Cilan. account. I used Dent to mess around and use his speech patterns and things in posts. I used Aurea to hide from some crap drama or something I don't remember. I don't think I used Anna~ for anything because I ended up using EternallyAnna. My '05 accounts were me being an idiot and claiming I was my sister I think. Because I was stupid and thought it would be fun then. So yeah. It's just a fun little thing imo.

Oh and I did just use one to see how I was treated with a different join date etc. It was a social experiment that time. It was interesting.

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
    Years
  • I have one other that was used way back when for some sort of testing.

That's it?

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • How many accounts have you had on PC? 3, I have this account, an Alt, and one secret one.

If you have changed accounts before, why? Nope, this is my original account. The alt account I set up was originally for someone else, but they didn't seem interested so I took it over and changed the name way back when

Do you think there be a limit on duplicate accounts? I think there should be a limit of like 5, but how to enforce such a limit since we can't truly know if it's the same person or someone different using the same IP.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I have... a lot more accounts than anyone on the forum, I guarantee it. Every time I thought of a new username, I would make a new account for that username just in case the time I could get a name change again, it would be there. When name changes stopped, I stopped making so many accounts, but I did make a few because I was dead-set on switching to them for the new name, but obviously that didn't work out. I only actively use this account and another account, so while I technically have a whole ton of 'em, I only really count the two I use - and you all should too!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I have... a lot more accounts than anyone on the forum, I guarantee it. Every time I thought of a new username, I would make a new account for that username just in case the time I could get a name change again, it would be there. When name changes stopped, I stopped making so many accounts, but I did make a few because I was dead-set on switching to them for the new name, but obviously that didn't work out. I only actively use this account and another account, so while I technically have a whole ton of 'em, I only really count the two I use - and you all should too!

I disagree, I've made a lot too. idk at last count I was winning (IDK YOU KNOW I'VE HAD A LOT)? I COULD GO IP SEARCH RIGHT NOW! ...except that may be a little pointless.

But yeah I only really use like, four out of my many. Only usually this to post on, Herdier for profile testing, and two others are just to look at occasionally. :x

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I have several alt accounts. They used to have a point but that point sort of vanished so I haven't been on in months. Last time I was on one was probably... earlier this year and I don't even remember if I had made more than one post on it.

I really don't care whether or not people make alt accounts.

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
    Years
  • The OMG! WE HAZ 300k UZERZ NAO! thing is pathetic IMO, loads of people here have alts and tons of accounts are inactive since the very beginning of their existence so I wouldn't make a big thing about 300 000 users, tbh.

I don't get the idea of alts and it's a waste of server space IMHO.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I have a second account for absolutely no reason. I might use it for a event I might moderate e.g egg swap or Easter egg hunt.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • How many accounts have you had on PC?
    I think I've made one or two extra accounts in the past which I've now neglected.

Do you think there be a limit on duplicate accounts?
    I think there should be a limit on duplicate accounts, since, to my limited knowledge, duplicate accounts put a strain on the server and the website. They should have a purge of unused accounts soon, I think.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I only have one alternate account, which bears the name of my original trainer character. I just use it for checking layouts for sigs and such. As for a limit to the number of alts, there should be some sort of reasonable limit, like 3-5 or something. No need for someone to have 25 alts... personally I'd have a hard time keeping track of more than three or four.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    The 'active members' statistic currently stands at about 20,000.

I have one account.
    I hold no opinion on alternate accounts, but do think any account past two years of inactivity and which has no posts should be culled.

Last edited:

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • I have one account, and I'll keep this account.

Am I against alts? No, it's everyone's preference. I just happen to like mine as the only one is because it's the only decent name I could come up with.

And yeah, they should def cut it past 2 years of inactivity or something.

Years
  • I've made... several alternate accounts through the years, most tracing back to late 2009. I use most of them on occasion just to not trigger read-flags for forums and visitor messages on this account, but the main one I use is named candy cane forest elf. Several of them are dual purpose in that they're also to prevent people from stealing my aliases online and impersonating me.

I personally don't think there should be a limit, so long as you're not sock-puppeteering.

Back