• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] ~>{*Shiny Hunters Club}<~

Sirfetch’d

Shiny Purugly is actually amazing! Glameow/Purugly are pretty rare considering they aren't in many games so I think you got a very nice shiny there!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
It's no Shiny Venonat/Venomoth, but I'd sort of been wanting another Shiny Oddish anyway since learning that pawpaws (which I only recently discovered behind my house) have flowers that, like the much larger and rarer Rafflesia that inspired Vileplume, are carrion mimics (they look and smell like dead flesh to attract scavenging insects). His nickname comes from Asimina triloba, the common pawpaw's scientific name. (Now I kind of wish that Shiny Vileplume's petals stayed a shade of red...)
Recently got one too! Mine is named Bok Choi. It was intended to be a Bellossom but I changed my mind ahah

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
I'll go ahead and join. I have been stalking these halls with admiration for a long time, I think this is such a cool club and you guys who have been hunting shinies all these years are so awesome, but because I'm a rookie I've been timid about posting here. I feel ready to come out of the shadows.

Welcome! Don't see why you felt timid, you have a very respectable collection with some iconic shinies (gardevoir! greninja! and some personal faves too (ninetales! camerupt!)

As for me, I've been doing a shiny playthrough/shiny badge quest of Alpha Sapphire which I'm journalling here https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=10152395#post10152395 if anyone wants to check it out. I ahven't beeing SRing for starters or legendaries but I have been catching at least one shiny before each gym.
My team is:
-Tanuki the linoone
-Reverb the Exploud
-Bok Choi the Vileplume
-Gobi the Camerupt
-Nocturne the Crobat
-Bullet the sharpedo
-Carmine the gyarados I occasionally rotate in because despite being a common shiny, it's such a striking one and I don't get tired of looking at her!

I've also caught quite a few more!
I should probably post an updated list of all my shinies soon, since my collection is coming along nicely. I can't believe I had never hunted in gen 6 before this month (I'm doing it with no charm). Anyways, here's a nice picture of a purple duel that took place yesterday

Attachments

• 20200427_210538.jpg
    20200427_210538.jpg
    546.7 KB · Views: 3
Years
Thanks everybody for the warn welcome and words of encouragement.

I have been pretty lucky lately. I caught that shiny Pikachu and have updated the collection in my spoiler tags since we grew! I also chained fished up a corsola--such a lovely robin egg blue shiny, as well as a shiny clamperl. I want to keep clamperl in its pre-evolution. I like Gorebyss and Huntail as pokemon, their shinies are also really vibrant, Clamperl is a golden pearl though with a violet-colored shell, and to me it is the prettiest of all.

I also caught a shiny Buneary this week. I did not keep it, I hunted specifically for a friend who loves this pokemon and traded it to her this afternoon. So it's not in my collection right now, but I still think it's worth mentioning so I have the credit for still participating as a huntress.

I had good look with this one too. Only 277 dexnav encounters, it was female and had the jolly nature I was synchronizing for.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Second Shiny while hunting Sneasel in Silver Cave:

Q0vvkO6.jpg

Golduck is pretty cool (I may actually make it part of my Gen. 4 team if I don't also find a Shiny Quagsire during the hunt), but I want my pink weasel/cat-weasel/civet!

I'm also glad you posted the anime game again - now the newer members can see it, and they can post their teams if they want! I'm really surprised to see you take out Lickitung, though! :disbelief:

QnqFS7D.png
dunsparce.png
mothim.png
shedinja.png
lickitung.png
omanyte.png

I decided to bring Lickitung back after all. I had dropped it since I was trying to base my team on things I've seen IRL, having read that Lickitung may be based on chameleons or blue-tongued skinks, but it hit me while reading up on things I've taken photos of that it's totally a lungless salamander! Similar to chameleons, many of these species have free-projectile tongues that they can launch nearly the length of their bodies. Lickitung also tends to hang out in damp areas (caves, watersides, and rainy routes), just like lungless salamanders.

Spoiler:

I did drop Wartortle, though. I'd been comparing box turtles to Squirtle since they're in the same family as pond turtles, but now I think box turtles would be better represented by Turtwig given their mostly-terrestrial behavior. I also decided to switch my Shiny to Eevee (but closer to GSC colors) to represent my cat.

I'm still keeping Dunsparce though. I like to compare it to a sphingid caterpillar, which have a history of being mistaken for the Tsuchinoko. I've seen a few, but I'm still waiting to find one with big eyespots similar to Dunsparce (like the Tersa Sphinx caterpillar). (I have, however, seen a sphingid caterpillar that turns into a bee mimic: the snowberry clearwing/bumblebee moth caterpillar. Dunsparce looks like a bee, so good enough?)

Here's the game again if anyone else wants to play. (No need to make IRL connections like I did!)

JFlbfA6.jpg

Last edited:

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
Hi guys, it has been a long time since I posted on here and my shiny count has increased a lot during the past couple of years. I am currently hunting shinies from max raids in Shield and yesterday, I caught an Espurr (which I evolved), a Sableye and a Rolycoly. I also caught a shiny Gigantamax Pikachu on Wednesday.

@icycatelf Oh that sounds like a fun game. Would starters or other gift Pokemon you get from soft resetting count as long as the shiny charm wasn't used? My team would be Exploud, Gallade, Caterpie, Electrike, Venomoth and if soft resetting counts, Charizard.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
@icycatelf Oh that sounds like a fun game. Would starters or other gift Pokemon you get from soft resetting count as long as the shiny charm wasn't used? My team would be Exploud, Gallade, Caterpie, Electrike, Venomoth and if soft resetting counts, Charizard.

Congrats on Espurr, Sableye, Rolycoly, and G-Max Pikachu!

Everything counts as long as it's full-odds (1/8192 pre-3DS or 1/4096 3DS-onward). :)

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
My new shinies:
Chatot in Platinum with a Pokeradar chain of 28
Two Whismur from horde encounters in Alpha Sapphire. I evolved one into Loudred.
Oddish from a horde encounter in AS. I now have the whole Oddish family.
Gmax Eevee from a raid. I evolved my two other Eevee into Glaceon and Sylveon, so now I have all Eeveelutions.

Years
Congrats! :D

bf's friend hosted a shiny gmax Eevee raid yesterday, though it was at a bad time for me so I couldn't participate. I'm still eager to hatch that shiny Dream Ball Wooloo too... it'll happen eventually!!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
Here's the game again if anyone else wants to play. (No need to make IRL connections like I did!)

JFlbfA6.jpg

Fun game! I take it dexnav doesnt count, but what about horde hunting? You know what, I'm only going to list the pokemon that were completely random finds that I wasn't even looking for. That's not a huge list (I'm also going to use the evolutionary stage at which I found them): venipede, voltorb, ditto, mienfoo, growlithe. Not exactly a dream team for me but I'd probably keep venipede as a shiny since it was my first ever non gyarados shiny, looks great, and it was actually the first venipede I ever saw and caught on a whim without realising it was shiny!

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Fun game! I take it dexnav doesnt count, but what about horde hunting? You know what, I'm only going to list the pokemon that were completely random finds that I wasn't even looking for. That's not a huge list (I'm also going to use the evolutionary stage at which I found them): venipede, voltorb, ditto, mienfoo, growlithe. Not exactly a dream team for me but I'd probably keep venipede as a shiny since it was my first ever non gyarados shiny, looks great, and it was actually the first venipede I ever saw and caught on a whim without realising it was shiny!
From my understanding, DexNav Shinies are only considered full-odds if it's your first time ever encountering that Pokémon. Horde encounters I'm personally a little iffy about since you're generating five Pokémon at once, but I suppose they're still full-odds technically (as long as you don't have the Shiny Charm).

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
I only really started shiny hunting back in november, but I'm so happy with how my collection has grown! (helps that I didn't have a life even before confinement so I did a lot of hunting hehe) I figured I'd post an update which will also serve as a checklist for me. One of my favorite things about pokemon and definitely about shiny hunting is thinking up/looking up good nicknames, so while a lot of my names are really lazy, there are a lot that I am also really proud of. I'm always perusing names of minerals, winds, geographic features, plants, other languages/cultures, or world mythology to find good ones. I put the inspiration for a bunch of them in parentheses. I know this is super self-indulgent of me, so i'm putting everything in spoilers so you don't have to see this long list if you don't want to.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

G-Money

Polychromatic Iridescence
Years
"lol" I was hoping to avoid voting since both finalists had such amazingly terrific names, but it looks like the tiebreaker comes down to me, haha! :confused: Here goes...

icycatelf's Rheau:
+1 Cool-sounding name
+1 French influence
+1 Japanese influence
+2 Hockey name for an Ice Pokémon (link points)
+1 Cool Pokémon
+1 Alternate pronunciation
+1 Personal history with the trainer from a previous game
+1 Menacing eyes in the photo
+1 Goofy face in the photo (I laughed)
-3 Not using a cool accent mark where one could have been used

Total points: 7

the Alolan naturalist's Kuroshio:

+1 Japanese influence
+1 Cool name origin
+2 The thing it's named after looks like the Pokémon (link points)
+1 "Grueling" story of capture
+1 Menacing pose in the photo

Total points: 6

the Alolan naturalist's Triton:

+1 Greek influence
+1 Cool reference
+2 Reference to the god of the sea for a Water Pokémon (link points)
+1 Cool-looking shiny
+1 Great shiny colors
+1 Multiple possible evolutionary futures
+1 Hiding in the photo (kinda cute)
-1 Planned evolution into an ugly Pokémon

Total points: 7

Darn. So my tiebreaker is going to need a tiebreaker! :pink_disbelief: After much deliberation, I have finally come to a decision. The grand winner of The Great Shiny Nickname Contest!!! is...

Spoiler:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

13777 Swarm encounters (Pearl)
4371 Anorith SRs (Pearl)

I'm still hunting the Swarm Pokémon in Pearl and SRing for Anorith on days when it's a lame shiny available, haha. On my other DS, I've been encountering in the Pinwheel Forest for a shaking-grass Pokémon (hopefully an elemental monkey!), and when that DS runs out I occasionally hatch Chespin eggs in X.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
The grand winner of The Great Shiny Nickname Contest!!! is...

Spoiler:

WHAT?!?? :O

Congrats on the new shiny, Champion of Shiny Pokémon, Majesty of Majestic Monikers, Finder of Phenomenal Pseudonyms, and Royal Excellency of the Most Exalted Nomenclatures!! Your posts are absolutely fascinating, by the way. I feel like I'm talking to a world-class expert on biology every time you post really cool facts like these, haha. I love it!

I'm glad I can educate! I love teaching people about the things I find on my little excursions, though I'm certainly no expert!

Congrats on the shiny Golduck! I'd keep going for that Sneaze if I were you, though! I had a regular Weavile on my original Diamond team, and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made for my team, along with my Zoroark/Lucario/Sandslash core from my Black 2 team. Masquerain/Camerupt/Manectric from Omega Ruby was a pretty great one, too, but Weavile is definitely in the discussion for the coolest possible Pokémon to have on an in-game team. And if you can have a shiny one, I'd say go for it!!! :happy:

I've never thought of Turtwig as a turtle, and it's about the furthest thing from Squirtle in my mind, haha. Heck, one of them is blue and the other one is green!! But looking at the first four letters of Turtwig's name, you might be on to something, "lol!" The part about Dunsparce resembling a caterpillar that mimics a bee (!???) is fascinating, too! I had likened Dunsparce more to a ground-based version of Stunfisk or a more inland Wimpod, haha.

I'm super glad to see you drop Licki back in there. A trainer's got to keep their main Pokémon and best buddy with them!! Also,

*snip*

This deserves its own quote because it's frankly one of the coolest and most amazing things I've ever read. I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT!!!!! :pink_disbelief: Shut up! :disbelief: Like, really!? This is just so cool!!!!!! It's called a "free-projectile tongue"!??? Even that name oozes with coolness. And it can really shoot out almost its body length!!?? Woah!!! That's hyper-extraordinary!!! I was always under the impression that Lickitung was some kind of mythical thing, but I had no idea that there are things crawling out there that can shoot their tongues out like that. Far out!!

Don't worry, I have no intention of giving up on Sneasel. I've always thought it was a cool Pokémon (partially because I remember my cousin flaunting arount his Neo Genesis Sneasel card way back in elementary school). It's also one of my most popular custom cards, so I kind of feel that I need a full-odds one to go along with it. (I actually do have a full-odds female from Moon, but I prefer the longer "feather" of the male.)

Weavile is definitely useful in battle, hitting fast and hard, but I'll probably only evolve it if I clone it. I'm cool with Weavile, but Sneasel is more nostalgic/significant to me (though Weavile does suit my username pretty well, being an Ice-type feliform with elf-like ears.)

I've always thought of Turtwig as a turtle, but its evolutions look more like Ankylosaurs to me. And I actually think Dunsparce may draw inspiration from snake-mimicking caterpillars, similar to Caterpie, though unlike Caterpie is actually part snake (I think its bee-like features are just a reference to bachi hebi/bee snake, another name for the snake-like Tsuchinoko, and likely has no actual connection to bee-mimicking moths). (I go into the theory more here if you'd like to give it a read.)

(What I didn't mention in the theory is that there's another creature that some believe to be synonymous with the Tsuchinoko, the Nozuchi, which is sometimes depicted as a hairy caterpillar-like creature.)

Lickitung is thought to draw its core inspiration from a mythological creature, the Akagame or "filth licker," a yokai sometimes described as a red, humanoid frog-like creature that licks bathhouses clean. The size of its tongue is actually more in line with chameleons, having tongues about twice the length of their bodies, but Lickitung's other characteristics (like its glossy skin and damp habitat) are definitely more salamander-like.

Not my pic, but here's a lungless salamander catching a fly with its tongue:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
G-Money, I laughed so hard at your comments on my nickname, though I am also super flattered. Thank you so much! i'm sure I can't be anywhere close to the best shiny hunters out there, but I appreciate your words nonetheless. I'm so glad you like (but maybe also hate?) my Electrike's nickname as it's probably my favorite too!

G-Money

Polychromatic Iridescence
Years
SHINY PANSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wooooooooooo-wooooo-wooot! Yeahzors, G-Money's got his first 2020 shiny!!!! And it's a really cool one, too! Just what I wanted!!!!!!!!! :pink_boogie:

I've been encountering in the Pinwheel Forest for a shaking-grass Pokémon (hopefully an elemental monkey!)

My wish came true! I've been hunting this thing since, gosh, probably last August or September, and each encounter took a ton of time since I was biking back and forth outside of the grass, waiting for a patch to shake so I could jump in and see what's what. The elemental monkeys are super rare here (you can SR for them, but I've already played through both Black and White, haha), with each of the three appearing at 10%...in the rare, shaking grass, hahahaha! And a bunch of times I'd bike back and forth for a little while waiting for some grass to shake, and then some Pidove or Cottonee would jump out of the normal grass before I even got to the shaky one and I'd have to start all over again, haha! :laugh-squinted:

I had been dual-hunting with the daily Pearl swarm on my other DS, and when I looked over at my DS with Black in it, I was like, "Oh, that's just a Pansear. Time to ru...waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute! That color looks a little brighter than normal. And maybe...a bit more orange? I should try catching it to find out and check if it's shiny." And so I chucked a Quick Ball at it, catching it on my first attempt!

It came on encounter #17,887, at 9:56 PM on May 30th, 2020. I named him Narango - a portmanteau of the Spanish words for orange (naranja) and fire (fuego), since it's a Fire Pokémon whose shiny is a bright, super-high-contrast orange, and his hair kind of looks like a flame, "lol." And Narango just sounds like a cool name to me, hahaha! :laugh:

This is one of my favorite shinies I've gotten, since it's a super rare one that not many people have. Like, how many times have you ever heard of anyone hunting for a shiny Pansear? Or for that matter, how many times have you even heard of or thought about Pansear at all!?? I feel like it's a super obscure Pokémon, and I bet that if you were to chart every Pokémon ever and sort them by how many times their name has ever been said aloud, Pansear would be towards the bottom of the list. No one ever talks about it and it's just kind of there, haha! It's almost like it's a third of a Pokémon, too, since it always gets mentioned and lumped in with Pansage and Panpour. So I totally love this shiny for the same reason I love my shiny Hitmonchan and Heatmor, and it's got a sweet orange color to boot! :pink_nod:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I absolutely love Weavile to bits, but you gave a good reason for liking Sneasel better. When you get your shiny, def keep it as Sneasel! :happy: That card looks absolutely amazing too, and I agree that male Sneasel looks a thousand times cooler than the short-feathered female, haha!

Oh my gosh. icycatelf! I don't know what I was expecting when I clicked that link, but...but...I honestly did not expect to find that you would argue that Dunsparce is actually A MOTH, of all things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :disbelief: :pink_disbelief: :disbelief: :bigo: :pink_disbelief: :disbelief: :littleo: :pink_disbelief:

Shame on me. I should've known!!!!! I should've been expecting this, and I should have been ready for it, "lol!" :laugh-squinted:

Of all things! "lol" I have no idea how you did it, but you actually argued that Dunsparce is a moth. And what's more, I've actually bought it!!!! Now you've gone and convinced me that Dunsparce is a moth, too! :laugh: And I love the part about the triangle thing on its tail actually being an Egyptian pyramid. I never would've bought that, but your pictures with them lined up, along with the pics of the tails swaying in that gif, are just too perfect. That's totally a pyramid!!! And it totally has sphinx colors!!! And it's related to the sphinx moth!!! And it has eyespots!!!! And it's like Caterpie!!!! OMG you've totally turned around my opinion of Dunsparce now, haha. Its body shape is absolutely the Tsuchinoko, too.

I also saw on that blog that you were debating which two of Shedinja, Porygon2, and Flareon to keep for the final two spots of your team. Here's what I have to say about that:

The two coolest Pokémon of that bunch, by far, are Shedinja and Flareon. But there's something else you need to consider, something that's even more important in this case: color contrast!! You're putting your team on that trainer card, and the background is white. If there's any way to change the background of the Pokémon boxes - or better yet, the background of the whole thing - to a light black or dark bluish-gray (like the backgrounds of Quilava's Glaciation or The Johto Elite here on PC), def go with Shedinja and Flareon. But since Shedinja's kinda see-through and being transparent is part of its whole coolness, it looks absolutely horrible on white backgrounds, "lol." I stared at those candidate trainer cards for a good while trying to figure out why Shedinja, the boss of all cool Pokémon, looked so lame and was quite emphatically outclassed by Porygon2, and I realized that it's the background. The hard blue and red of Porygon2 and Flareon look terrific when juxtaposed against a light background, which make them much better fits for your trainer card than Shedinja. :pink_wink:

btw that's so cool about the tongue-launchers!!

disgraces to dignity and justice like Ratthew, Ratasha

I know I included these two in the "trash tier" of nicknames in my last post, but actually, the more I think about them, the more I come to appreciate them. Like, these ones are actually pretty cool! "lol" it's a whole sub-theme of rodent-related humanoid names for the Rattata family. Even though they're just two Pokémon, having two different shinies share a nickname "theme" like that is actually a pretty cool concept that binds them together, amplifying their coolness and making it a whole cohesive shiny party in the Rattata line, haha. Ratthew and Ratasha have earned my respect!

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
congratulations on your victory! That was a very clever nickname indeed, and I also really enjoy the naturalist knowledge you drop here and in your "pokemon IRL" thread (even though you will never convince me eevee is a cat :P )
Thanks! :D

Even I'm not fully convinced that Eevee is a cat (hence why I haven't added it to my "RealDex"), and it's honestly only its Shiny (particularly in GSC) that gives me cat vibes since brown is a fairly rare color on cats. However, like I mentioned before, Eevee's creator DID liken it to a fluffy cat or dog-like creature, and some of its evolutions clearly have feline inspiration (especially Espeon and, IMO, Leafeon). So cat, dog, generic fantasy animal... take your pick.

SHINY PANSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wooooooooooo-wooooo-wooot! Yeahzors, G-Money's got his first 2020 shiny!!!! And it's a really cool one, too! Just what I wanted!!!!!!!!! :pink_boogie:

Congrats on the super rare Shiny! I've never been a fan of the elemental monkeys, but someone's gotta show those underappreciated 'mons some love!

I also saw on that blog that you were debating which two of Shedinja, Porygon2, and Flareon to keep for the final two spots of your team. Here's what I have to say about that:

The two coolest Pokémon of that bunch, by far, are Shedinja and Flareon. But there's something else you need to consider, something that's even more important in this case: color contrast!! You're putting your team on that trainer card, and the background is white. If there's any way to change the background of the Pokémon boxes - or better yet, the background of the whole thing - to a light black or dark bluish-gray (like the backgrounds of Quilava's Glaciation or The Johto Elite here on PC), def go with Shedinja and Flareon. But since Shedinja's kinda see-through and being transparent is part of its whole coolness, it looks absolutely horrible on white backgrounds, "lol." I stared at those candidate trainer cards for a good while trying to figure out why Shedinja, the boss of all cool Pokémon, looked so lame and was quite emphatically outclassed by Porygon2, and I realized that it's the background. The hard blue and red of Porygon2 and Flareon look terrific when juxtaposed against a light background, which make them much better fits for your trainer card than Shedinja. :pink_wink:

I only put them on these trainer cards for planning purposes. I'll actually just be putting the menu icons in my sig like I have now. If I do make a trainer card though, I'll probably use this template or create a new one more consistent with Switch graphics.

Flareon definitely feels significant to me, probably more so than Shedinja and Porygon2, but I feel like it got watered down a bit when I got my second Shiny Eevee at "fuller" odds (something I was afraid was going to happen but went for regardless) and I'm slightly put off by the idea of using two Eeveelutions. I definitely want to keep Leafeon though, as it has become one of my absolute favorite Pokémon (tied with Dunsparce and Wartortle).

I agree that Shedinja is the cooler Pokémon here (probably the best Pokémon of all conceptually, IMO) and one I could imagine having IRL, but I'm not sure if it's as significant to me as Porygon2. I hardly ever keep Porygon2 in my lead, unlike Shedinja which I keep as my lead in SoulSilver, but it's one of my oldest Shinies (the oldest I still have, I think), has such amazing colors, and totally took me by surprise when I accidentally SR'd it in Platinum (vs Shedinja, which I was intentionally hunting). I also remember poorly paper-crafting a Porygon2 "puppet" as a kid, so I guess that makes Porygon2 a little nostalgic. (It's a real shame that I can't just swap my Rotom Dex for a Shiny Porygon2 Dex...)

Spoiler:

(Also, I never really thought of Shedinja as being transparent...???)

EDIT: After going over this, I think I'm going to go with Flareon and Porygon2. Shedinja can be saved for my IRL/anime team.

EDIT 2: Signature updated, though I'll still probably change my mind again. Dx

Last edited:
Back