• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shiny Pokemon found accidentally

How many shiny pokemon have you encountered accidentally?

• Total voters

Poppliojaz

Pokemon anime watcher
Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2020
    How many shiny pokemon have you found accidentally? (Shiny hunted pokemon do not count) For me, I found two shiny pokemon. Shiny Ditto in Ultra Sun and shiny raticate in fire red (Caught them both) I like to know what shiny pokemon you came across.

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Excluding Shinies found while Shiny-hunting something else and Shinies found post-Shiny Charm:

Golbat (Silver) - Thought my eyes were playing tricks on me, but luckily I caught it
    Weedle and Pidgey (also Silver)
    Koffing (Crystal)
    Tentacool (Sapphire)
    Minun (Emerald)
    Nidoran-M (FireRed) - Lost the cartridge, unfortunately :(
    Raticate (Diamond)
    Gastly and Machoke (Pearl)
    Graveler (also Pearl) - The first Shiny I failed to catch (due to Explosion)
    Porygon (Platinum) - I was SRing for a Modest one and got a Shiny instead
    Quagsire (also Platinum) - Found in the Great Marsh. It fled...
    Machoke and Marill (Platinum again)
    Rattata, Hoothoot, Pidgey, and Magnemite (HeartGold)
    Weedle (SoulSilver, IIRC)
    Red-Stripe Basculin, Litwick, and Chimecho (Black)
    Eevee (X) - This one really surprised me
    Diglett (Alpha Sapphire)
    Alolan Sanshrew (Moon) - Coincidentally, I had just given up on trying to hatch one
    Elekid (Ultra Sun)
    Wishiwashi (Sword)

Just for funsies, here's what my team might look like if I only used my accidental Shinies:

flareon.gif
    porygon2.gif
    sandslash-alola.gif
    chimecho.gif
    magneton.gif
    beedrill-mega.gif

Last edited:

LittleSnowyOne

I love Dima
    Years
    • Age 33
    • she/her
    • USA
    • Seen Oct 5, 2020
    I found the following:
    -A Wurmple in Emerald (Battery died before I could get it)
    -A Machoke in Platinum (which I accidentally ran from instead of choosing my bag)
    -A Zubat in Fire Red
    -A Graveler in Crystal (which blew itself up...)
    -A Magikarp in Sun

Years
    • Seen today
    I encountered 2 actually: A Zigzagoon when I forgot to put Repel on when I was riding the bike in the grass and the other one was an Oddish in the Oddish horde back on Pokémon Alpha Sapphire.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    I mean, without counting hackroms, two. They both were Wingulls, I found both in Sapphire, both had the same gender and both were about the same level.

Sorvete

Novice
    Years
  • Definitely way more than five. Fun fact, I actually found two accidental shinies in my most recent playthrough of White, both in Victory Road! I got really excited when that happened haha

Years
  • First one I can remember is Zubat in Fire Red. Then Zweilous in Y on Victory Road, which I still have in my box in Ultra Moon. And a lot more - Cottonee in White 2, Spearow and Metapod in a matter of 10 minutes from each other in Azalea Town and Ilex Forest in Heart Gold, Poochyena in Sapphire and Minun in Alpha Sapphire are the ones I remember the most.

Years
  • lXMmSOV.jpg

Caught this beauty while grinding a few mons on Route 10 in Sword earlier. 😀 Can't even remember the last time (if ever) I got a full-odds Shiny (aside from hacks).

Years
  • That I can recall, I've found eight!
    In order, to the best of my recollection...
    1. Zigzagoon♀, in Ruby version.
    2. Taillow♂, in Ruby version.
    3. Wurmple (Dustox)♀, in Emerald version.
    4. Totodile♂, in SoulSilver version.*
    5. Geodude♂, in Pearl version.*
    6. Tympole♀, in White version.
    7. Sandile♀, in White version.
    8. Rookidee♀, in Shield version. Funnily enough, my brother found a shiny Impidimp in Sword later that very same weekend!
    *I think that's the order I found those two in, but I actually can't remember perfectly.

Of these shinies, I still have all of them starting from the Totodile! The three before him, though, sadly, are long gone.

Actually, I might have found nine or ten, depending on how accurate some rather foggy old memories are. I vaguely recall finding a shiny Magnemite in Ruby version a long time back, before any of the others.

I also vaguely recall running into a shiny Nidoran (can't recall the gender) in Gold version... which I ran from, thinking I could just catch one later because I wanted to focus on winning the Bug-Catching Contest and for some reason I thought the odds of finding shinies in GSC were 1/512 back then rather than the iconic 1/8192 odds.
    The kicker? The fact that I encountered a Nidoran at all necessarily would've meant that I wasn't even in the Bug-Catching Contest at the time.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I found a shiny weedle back when I first played Omega Ruby, sucks that I'm not really a fan of them competitively

Years
  • I've only seen a small number of shiny Pokemon in the wild, most of which I've had bad luck with. Off the top of my head, I've seen:

Teddiursa in Gold (which I one-hit KO'd)
    Shroomish in Sapphire (which I don't even remember catching)
    Heracross in Sapphire or Emerald (caught, but don't remember which game)
    Weedle in FireRed (during the Old Man's catching tutorial...)
    Paras in FireRed (with just one Safari Ball left, and it didn't do the trick)
    Ducklett in White (which I used a Master Ball on right away)
    Pidgeotto in Let's Go Eevee (on the other side of the fence on Route 5, and it flew away before I got to it)

The only other shiny I've gotten is Vulpix while chaining in Let's Go Eevee, and I actually found it after only a chain of 12. Other than that, I don't really have any patience trying to get myself shiny Pokemon, so finding them randomly is the only way I really see them.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I've found 5 random wild shinies and have hatched 2 random shinies. I failed to catch one of the shinies I found in the wild, that being a Ratata which I found in the Safari Zone of all places, and it fled immediately after my first attempt at catching it.

Years
  • Not so lucky with shiny.i got a few from trades,but never ecountered one myself.
    Last time i had a bummer,encountered a female combee but killed it by accident.oops haha.

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2021
    Despite being a long time player, I have only ever encountered one shiny in the wild lol. It was a Poochyena in Emerald. Terrible luck, unfortunately.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Randomly would work better here than accidentally, but I guess they can mean the same thing here.

I've found WAY more than five, though. So, I won't list them all.

My most recent random shiny was a Torchic in Pokemon Go.

I would say the only shiny I really found by accident was a Lillipup in a file I wasn't able to save the game on in Pokemon White or Black.

But, if getting a randomly traded shiny from Pokemon Home counts, then I got a Shiny Ditto completely randomly from a room trade yesterday. That was fun.

......As for failed random shinies, Zubat, Nidorina, Noctowl, Barboach (it was a trainer's shiny wtf) and a Swalot. The Swalot was in Pokemon Ruby Destiny Rescue Rangers though, so that one does not count.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2023
    l remember 3:2 in heart gold (which l sadly could not catch) (one was a tentacool in the water next to the players house) and the one i did catch was a pidgey in fire red (l was on route 1 with a team of meouths to pickup items and happend to find the shiny (l am so happy i caught it!)

Back