• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] Shipping Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2017
    sorry to revive an old thread, but I was just wondering what (and if so how many) episodes May and dawn come back for cameos in? cause they're probably my favourite two of the companions so far. I'm not a huge shipper but I just don't like the way that we watch Ash's companions grow and progress for like 4 seasons and then it's like "off you go your times up". Annoying for me because if a show has characters with even semi decent personalities I can't help but get emotionally invested in them.

Years
  • sorry to revive an old thread, but I was just wondering what (and if so how many) episodes May and dawn come back for cameos in? cause they're probably my favourite two of the companions so far. I'm not a huge shipper but I just don't like the way that we watch Ash's companions grow and progress for like 4 seasons and then it's like "off you go your times up". Annoying for me because if a show has characters with even semi decent personalities I can't help but get emotionally invested in them.

May stayed for 4 episodes! (Our Cup Runneth Over! to Strategy With a Smile!)
    Dawn stayed for 8 episodes! (All for the Love of Meloetta! to Goodbye, Junior Cup - Hello Adventure!)

Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2017
    I was all ways a supporter of ash and misty she was only I felt that ash actually had some feelings of even if he didn't realize it and misty didn't want to admit it herself

Jalsy

RESET
    Years
  • I was all ways a supporter of ash and misty she was only I felt that ash actually had some feelings of even if he didn't realize it and misty didn't want to admit it herself

Same here. Despite it's one-sided in Misty's side and it seems that Ash doesn't seem to feel anything other than being a friend to him. i still love those moments despite how they fight & the moments where they develop their friendship throughout the season.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Not one to revive old topics but having been getting reacquainted with the anime after having been away from it for roughly 15 years, I figured I'd give my take on all the Pokegirl ship's by ranking them from my personal favorite to my least favorite.

#1 AshxSerena: A haircut, fashionable blue ribbon and a kiss says a thousand words. Despite her only being around for three seasons and having the least amount of air time of all Pokegirls(Sun&Moon excluded), Serena was an instant hit. Her rebellious nature drew comparisons to May while her sheer determination and support for Ash brought up memories of Dawn(just wish she had Fenekin pom-pom's). Tack on a childhood chance meeting with our main protagonist that blossomed into a full blown romance sealed by a monumental goodbye kiss and you have a relationship that just dominates the top spot.

#2 AshxDawn: Although I watched Diamond and Pearl casually from a distance, I knew she was going to be special. All trainers start off inexperienced, but she grew into a competent coordinator who formed a symbiotic relationship with Ash wherein each one grew stronger the longer they were together. Throw in the legendary cheerleading and honestly I would have put this #1 were it not for Serena actually acting on her feelings. Maybe Dawn knew Ash too well or maybe she didn't want to risk her dream(or Buneary's) being sidetracked by a relationship. Dawn easily earns my #2 spot and a double high five.

#3 AshxMisty: I have been watching Pokemon since 1997 so Misty holds a special place in my heart. Misty was the first and original Pokegirl who played the Tsundere archetype masterfully. Their emotional goodbye is the only instance that I can recall Ash ever crying. I mean he usually does this over a Pokemon, never over a friend of the opposite sex. Were it not for being in a Cerulean Prison that is her Gym, Misty might still be with our protagonist today, hence Misty owns my #3 spot out of sheer respect. #MakeMistyGreatAgain

#4 AshxMay. May is popular for some fans because she is the first Pokegirl they grew up with(much like Misty was for me). May had some sparks with Ash but honestly I can't quite claim they were truly romantic in nature. I considered their relationship more Master and Apprentice type of deal similar to how Ash was the big brother Max never had. The primary reason I have this at #4 on my list is because of Drew. You can't say love like flowers and even May's own mother pushes MayxDrew. Granted, despite that setback, the mere fact they share a contest ribbon says a lot.

#5 AshxIris: Although Iris isn't the most popular Pokegirl in the world, they're both passionate and stubborn Pokemon Trainers who throw caution to the wind. Namely they act on instinct rather than slowing down and thinking things through. Iris does try to play the Tsundere like Misty did back in the day, but she doesn't quite pull it off like the master and honestly "You're such a kid" rubs people the wrong way(including me). Furthermore, for this relationship to work, one of them would have to make a huge sacrifice, arguably giving up their dream in order to help their partner achieve theirs.

#6 AshxLillie: This relationship just started so honestly its a fluid situation for this relationship. However for the Sun&Moon generation, this is arguably the most logical and likely to happen given that Pikachu has been in her arms and Ash(along with others) has been slowly helping her break out of her Dandere funk and her fear of Pokemon. Time will tell how this relationship proceeds.

#7 AshxMallow: First thing that comes to mind about Mallow is what a flirty girl. Not only does her body language give off an "I'm into you" message but her Bounsweet gives off metaphorical pheromones to all interested parties. Her jab at Ash in Episode 13 insinuates a potential relationship but if she's the Deredere archetype I believe her to be then this relationship is all but Dead on Arrival. We can all dream but if I'm right then this won't go anywhere.

#8 AshxLana: Last but certainly not least is Lana. Lana is an enigma to me and frankly I have no clue who she likes. Clearly she loves her Pokemon but outside of a hand grab(Episode 16) or an embarrassing question posed by her sisters in Episode 5, there isn't really anything to go on to support this. Maybe more will come out in future Episodes but for now, Lana is a mystery. I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually becomes LanaxKiawe(opposites attract no?).

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    #6 AshxLillie: This relationship just started so honestly its a fluid situation for this relationship. However for the Sun&Moon generation, this is arguably the most logical and likely to happen given that Pikachu has been in her arms and Ash(along with others) has been slowly helping her break out of her Dandere funk and her fear of Pokemon. Time will tell how this relationship proceeds.

#7 AshxMallow: First thing that comes to mind about Mallow is what a flirty girl. Not only does her body language give off an "I'm into you" message but her Bounsweet gives off metaphorical pheromones to all interested parties. Her jab at Ash in Episode 13 insinuates a potential relationship but if she's the Deredere archetype I believe her to be then this relationship is all but Dead on Arrival. We can all dream but if I'm right then this won't go anywhere.

#8 AshxLana: Last but certainly not least is Lana. Lana is an enigma to me and frankly I have no clue who she likes. Clearly she loves her Pokemon but outside of a hand grab(Episode 16) or an embarrassing question posed by her sisters in Episode 5, there isn't really anything to go on to support this. Maybe more will come out in future Episodes but for now, Lana is a mystery. I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually becomes LanaxKiawe(opposites attract no?).
    I'd probably put these in a completely separate discussion, since this series is so different ^^ But AshxMallow I could see! Moreso than AshxLillie, somehow.

As for the original series, I think I'm leaning towards AshxDawn c: They were just superbly bestfriendly and would have been equal partners, while the May and Serena relationships seemed a bit too much leaning towards the girls adoring Ash as a mentor or senpaiii. buuut I might remember things wrong tbh haha. I haven't watched all of the Sinnoh arcs and it was a long time ago even!

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I never looked at Ash and Dawn as a possible shipping. There was never any real indication given that Dawn had any feelings for Ash other than a friend, and the relationship between Ash, Dawn, and Brock felt more like a partnership than anything else. Ash and Brock were more like babysitters to May and Max even though May did come into her own as a coordinator and her rivalry/budding relationship with Drew and rivalry with Harley became more of a focus later on.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I'd probably put these in a completely separate discussion, since this series is so different ^^ But AshxMallow I could see! Moreso than AshxLillie, somehow.

As for the original series, I think I'm leaning towards AshxDawn c: They were just superbly bestfriendly and would have been equal partners, while the May and Serena relationships seemed a bit too much leaning towards the girls adoring Ash as a mentor or senpaiii. buuut I might remember things wrong tbh haha. I haven't watched all of the Sinnoh arcs and it was a long time ago even!

I put Sun&Moon at 6 to 8 because they're the newest relationship's from the series. Until we learn more about them, its hard to place them higher than the previous Generations and even determine a proper order. The reason I put Lillie above Mallow right now though is because Lillie has had three Episodes in which she has interacted with Ash and his Pokemon. You have Episode 8 when she first get's the Egg(and she breaks her fear of touching anything), Episode 14 where she meets Shiron(aka Snowy) for the first time and Ash is dragged off by Mallow to follow her(and ultimately saves her) and Episode 30 where she and Ash trade partners(Pikachu is one lucky guy). From a symbolic standpoint, Ash has given her the strength and motivation to break her fear and she will hold him in high regard for doing so. Whether that translates to a romantic feeling I don't know but Serena turned Ash's act of fear breaking into a romantic crush. Of the three Pokegirls, Lillie is technically the lone Pokegirl if they were to have gone by the game script with Mallow and Lana acting as Trial Captains.

As for Mallow, I can see where you're coming from. Mallow's attraction to Ash started from Episode 1 when she bulldozed him with the Tauros she was riding. Then there is the body language, Bounsweet pheromones(which know no boundaries), getting semi-jealous in Episode 13, giving him first dibs at Food in Episode 18, the ground ball scene in Episode 28(I didn't really notice it until I watched reviews. Respect girl... Respect...) and the infamous "Pants" scene in Episode 32 where Mallow got more than she bargained for. I just think that with her Deredere archetype(which is debatable but frankly I think it fits), she will fight for Ash's heart but won't care one way or another since her true goal is to see to it that everyone around her is happy(hence cue all the Episodes and corresponding scenes where she looks after Lillie and helps Lana. Even goes out of her way for Sophocles but I haven't really noticed her giving a damn about Kiawe(largely because he doesn't need it).

As for those shipping AshxLana... all you've had to go on so far is Episode 5 and 16. With Episode 33's Thumbnail... damn the symbolism be real. First real instance in my mind where you could argue that ship has a shot.

As for AshxDawn, that ship grew from the fact she did cheerleading(which is infamous) during Ash's Gym Battles, Ash returning the favor by watching all of Dawn's contests(didn't do that for May), Lyra asking Dawn about who she was going to marry and referencing Ash and noting how good of a candidate he was(and Dawn never really considering it until then) and other instances that implied the two had feelings for one another.

AshxMay was more Master/Apprentice than romantic. There were indeed sparks but Drew ship has a stronger argument with the flowers and parent nudge.

AshxSerena was a built-in romantic ship. Childhood meeting that had Serena blushing at every opportunity Ash said something complimentary or her crush being brought up by Miette or Shauna. Even Bonnie knew about it and burned both Ash and Clemont in Episode 80(my favorite scene). The reason people really ship it is because Ash did notable things: Asking her to join the group, giving her a gift voluntarily, using said gift to change her appearance(which had never been done before in the series), Ash choosing Serena's dream over his(I forget the Episode but it was prior to XYZ 19/20 Master Class Episodes) and slowly but surely realizing through that dense skull of his that he not only had a good friend but a lifelong partner. Serena just didn't want to end up in the friendzone and acted on her romantic feelings in the finale(which every Amourshipper had wanted her to do and every shipper prior to that had wished had happened for their Pokegirl). Plus, Japan is by far, the weakest country with regards to showing kiss scenes. Even the white flag French show more in their animated series for kids and its ironic since XY takes place in a French themed region.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Yeaahhh it was a bit uh. Too built-in for me, haha. The forced romance fluff around Serena.

True though, perhaps Dawn and Ash were never really romantic; both Misty and May might have seemed to have more feelings for Ash of that kind than Dawn had.

Iris.... uh, did she ever show any form of even remotely half romantic affection towards Ash haha?

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Yeaahhh it was a bit uh. Too built-in for me, haha. The forced romance fluff around Serena.

True though, perhaps Dawn and Ash were never really romantic; both Misty and May might have seemed to have more feelings for Ash of that kind than Dawn had.

Iris.... uh, did she ever show any form of even remotely half romantic affection towards Ash haha?

Well the built-in Serena ship was done on purpose to try and revive interest in the series. In BW they reverted Ash back into a new trainer and rehashed the Tsundere archetype with Iris that was hugely successful with Misty. The problem is Iris rubbed people the wrong way with her put downs("such a kid") and she failed to connect with audiences who disliked the fact they rebooted the series. Kind of resembles the initial reaction to Ash in SM. Iris did show signs of affection for Ash though. First instance where you get a hint at it is the first Gym Battle and an Episode or two afterwards where Cilan comments they're a lot alike and Iris gets extremely defensive(classic Tsundere).

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    As for AshxDawn, that ship grew from the fact she did cheerleading(which is infamous) during Ash's Gym Battles, Ash returning the favor by watching all of Dawn's contests(didn't do that for May), Lyra asking Dawn about who she was going to marry and referencing Ash and noting how good of a candidate he was(and Dawn never really considering it until then) and other instances that implied the two had feelings for one another.
    I think the cheerleading was just part of Dawn's personality. She had her Pok?mon not participating in her contests cheerlead her on also. Ash just didn't have to spend the time training he did while he did during May's contests.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Rather than start an entirely new thread topic, I figured I'd place my question here since its purely about shipping but with a special parameter. Namely, we've discussed Ash x (Place any Female Traveling Companion here) ad nauseam, hence I'd like to see what you're favorite pairing would be for Ash if Misty, May, Dawn, Iris and Serena were not options.

Just some possibilities in case you're unfamiliar with potential options:

Macy(Johto)
    Casey(Johto)
    Lyra(Sinnoh, hails from Johto)
    Angie(Sinnoh)
    Anabel(Kanto)
    Miette(Kalos)
    Duplica(Kanto)

There are probably more that I've glossed over or missed but those above are certainly ones that come to the minds of anyone who have watched the anime. From that list, I'd have to say Angie has the strongest odds of pairing up with Ash if things go south with Serena, and considering the jaw dropping similarity between Angie and Serena, one could wonder if Angie's characteristics and circumstances were used in creating Serena's character in the first place.

So with that being said, who would you ship with Ash if the traveling companions were not an option?

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Giselle, because I was young back then and also Ash actually showed an interest for a while.

True, he did show interest but it went away after he saw the type of person she was and Misty berating him over it. Short lived potential but certainly one worth noting.

Years
  • If Ash is honestly going to end up with ANYONE, it would probably be either Misty or Serena. Misty had too many hints to ignore, and we know for a fact that Serena has feelings for him. But I'm still Comashipping all the way.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • If Ash is honestly going to end up with ANYONE, it would probably be either Misty or Serena. Misty had too many hints to ignore, and we know for a fact that Serena has feelings for him. But I'm still Comashipping all the way.

I wouldn't think Ash is gay. The way he acted over Giselle in Season 1 is proof enough for me but I agree that if Ash was to end up with anyone it would be either Serena or Misty. However, throwing all Pokegirl or gay shippings aside, what female side character could you see Ash hooking up with(I posted a few options a few posts back).

Also, if Ash was to hook up with Misty(I'm partial to Serena mind you), who do you think Serena would hook up with? Clemont? Its a bigger possibility than people realize. On the other hand, if Ash ended up with Serena, who would Misty end up with? Only a couple people come to mind and they would be the Orange Island Gym Leaders: Danny and Rudy. Although I must point out Tracey is a Dark Horse option(he visits her Gym often).

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • hahaha we're not dictators, we want to do things that you guys are interested in. If anyone is keen to help out with this then shoot me a message and we can talk, keen to have more people involved!

I never said you were dictators but I can give you some shipping poll topics. To start, everyone loves to ship Ash with the Female lead(s) of a particular region. What about all the side characters that have shown an interest in Ash(ex: Macy from Johto, Anabel in Kanto, Angie in Sinnoh). If Female leads were not an option, who would you ship with Ash? Another topic is who would you ship with Brock? Despite all his attempts at trying to woo the ladies, it almost always ended in failure for the Casanova. However, a few of his targets did show signs of having a crush on him(Lucy from the Battle Frontier is a prime example).

Another potential poll topic is which non-Ash shipping do you like the most? Ex: Penguinshipping, ContestShipping, etc. Finally, which "Pokemon" shipping do you like the most? PikachuxKetchup, Lagomorph shipping(PikachuxBuneary), etc.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back