• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Soar vs. Fly...

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
Years
  • Soaring is a nice gimmick and much appreciated for the visuals. However, flying is still much faster considering soaring requires you to pull the flute out, wait for the cutscene, get into the air, find where you need to go, avoid running into flying Pokemon, etc.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Soar, absolutely! It's so nice to finally be able to get around the region without having to keep a Pokémon with Fly in my party, it's even worth the little cut scene. I do hope they continue this trend of being able to navigate without relying on HMs.

myystogan

[cimg=width:30px;"]https://i.imgur.com/gbudGz1.png
    Years
  • I like the new Soaring feature OR/AS has, since it's incredibly convenient when you don't have a Flyer in your party (this saved my butt multiple times), but the animation is long and navigation can be tedious, which pisses me off sometimes :-P

So if I have a Pokemon in my party that can use Fly, I'll use Fly instead of whipping out my Eon Flute.

Though, interesting thing I learned about Soaring a while ago (and I even confirmed it myself) - if you trade away your Lati@s, you can still Soar despite it being gone and no longer in your PC.
    Which brings up the question, how can we Soar if our Lati@s isn't even real?

Years
  • I immediately replaced Fly when I got the Eon Flute. Soar is preferred because you no longer need a Pokémon taking up a spot in your party just to travel at a faster pace. I also love how you can see the whole region from above, the visuals are really amazing! You can also do some pretty snazzy tricks, which is pretty fun to do if you're just bored, haha.

Why Fly when you can Soar on a legendary?! There is no other choice for me, haha.
    Very true! {XD}

Though, interesting thing I learned about Soaring a while ago (and I even confirmed it myself) - if you trade away your Lati@s, you can still Soar despite it being gone and no longer in your PC.
    Which brings up the question, how can we Soar if our Lati@s isn't even real?
    I've never noticed this, and I don't have either of them in my party or PC! Really neat observation, some pretty great fuel for theorists. :P

Years
  • For some reason, it takes me much less time to soar than to use fly... It just comes so naturally to me to navigate in Hoenn rather than trying to make something out of the map. Also, I don't have to use up one slot on a Pokemon from my party for the move. The choice in my case is pretty obvious: soaring!

Katchelina

"...I hope a gentle light of hope will remain."
    Years
  • Fly when I have a specific goal and want to get places quickly.
    Soar if I forget my flyer or if I am just playing the game for fun or have a lot of time.
    I will agree the region seems a bit small but I still like soaring wen I am not short on time.

Back