• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Starter Pokemon you've -never- picked?

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
Years
  • What starter Pokemon have you never picked in a Pokemon game? This includes the beginning of the games AND later game secondary starter selections like when you get the Kanto starters in Kalos. Any particular reason you never chose these starters? There's... quite a few for me. ^-^;

Bulbasaur/Squirtle: I'm not sure which of the two I've picked, as I like both -about- the same, I've never played R/B/Y, and I only played less than half of LeafGreen. I HAVE picked Charmander, but only in Kalos and only for the stone so that my fiancee and I would be assured both.

Chikorita: When Silver/Gold originally came out, I absolutely loved Cyndaquil and Quilava, and Typhlosion was instantly one of my all-time favorites... so I picked that. When HG/SS rolled around I had over time fallen in love with Totodile/Feraligatr, so I chose them. I never liked Chikorita, and I've always been meh on Meganium. I do like Bayleef a lot, though.

Treecko: I've only played Hoenn twice; once about a third of the way through in Emerald, which I picked Torchic. I thought it was adorable and I knew Fire types were harder to find early on than Grass types. In Alpha Sapphire, the only time I've completed Hoenn, I chose Mudkip because I love Water/Ground types and because Swampert has one of my absolute favorite Megas ever. I really like Grovyle and Sceptile, but I've just never gotten around to using one.

Turtwig/Chimchar: I've played Sinnoh twice, both with Platinum. First time I chose Piplup because I love Water-types, wasn't too crazy about the other two, and adored Empoleon. Second time... I'm just not sure what I chose. By then I ended up liking Torterra and Infernape a -lot- more than originally, but I never finished the game a second time, and my fiancee gave me a few starters through trade that time around so I can't remember what I picked and what I got later.

Snivy: I don't like it, I never did like it, and I never will like it. I dislike Serperior even more.

Chespin/Fennekin: I like both lines a lot, but I've only played Kalos once, and Froakie was a very easy choice for me.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • I always pick a different starter when I'm replaying the game, but start with the most interesting one. When I haven't used a certain starter, it means I haven't played the game often enough. Starters I haven't used yet are:
    Chikorita, Totodile, Piplup, Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott, Chespin, Fennekin and Froakie.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • The Pokemon that i never Picked in Game as follows:

1. Squirtle: I don't know why i don't choose this starter, but the reason i think is that i found plenty of water type Pokemon which are even better than this Pokemon.I always choose different types in my game instead of doubling of same type.

2. Cyndaquil: i really dislike this Pokemon, and more its last form Typhlosion more.

3. Treecko: Used this Pokemon twice in Pokemon Emerald, I dislike this Pokemon because it is only single type and have a lot of weakness so after that i choose Mudkip.....

Years
  • Counting repeat playthroughs, these were the starters I never used yet.

Kanto: Bulbasaur, I had used Squirtle during that one time I played Leaf Green for a bit, and Charmander was who I used in X as my Kanto starter. Maybe if I play Y I might pick Bulbasaur but we'll see.

Johto: Chikorita, no surprise given it's harder to use than the other two. I used Totodile in Heart Gold (before my brother stole it) and Cyndaquil in Soul Silver.

Hoenn: Treecko and Torchic. I always pick Mudkip because it's the easiest one and it's my fave, but maybe if I would use the others if I attempted a Nuzlocke or something and it would force me to use one.

Sinnoh: One of the rare times I have actually used all three at some point, my first playthrough on Diamond (before my brother claimed it) had me using Piplup, one of my Platinum playthroughs had me use Turtwig, but nowadays Chimchar is my go-to starter.

Unova: Same situation as Hoenn here, all my playthroughs had me use Oshawott. I did however trade all three onto my Black save, so I have technically used all three, but still Oshawott is the one I use far more due to being my favourite Pokemon.

Kalos: Chespin. I would like to try it, but for some reason I enjoy Froakie and Fennekin anyway, both of which I used in X. Froakie was my starter there, and I got Fennekin from that postgame trade with Shauna.

Last edited:
    Years
  • The starter Pokemon I've never picked:
    Squirtle: Never actually disliked it but I only ever played Fire Red on a physical copy ONCE since it came out and its the same save file to this day 10 years later with around 700 hours logged on it and I chose Charmander, I did a solo run with venusaur on my phione emulator a while back out of boredom and it was pretty fun.
    Chikorita: I never really liked its design or utility ingame, I just felt its lacking compared to the other Johto starters.
    Torchic: Too much hype surrounding my least favorite of Gen 3 but still a really good starter.
    Chimchar: Same as Torchic.
    Snivy: I don't really like the whole Grass snake design and I feel like it got the short end of the stick with its ervolution and move pool. Its saving grace is Drayno's Blaze Black & Volt White, Blaze Black 2 & Volt White 2 hacks of B&W and B2&W2
    I have yet to play any Gen 6 game so I dont really have a preference on favorite or least favorite.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • Blastoise: Pretty sure I've never used a fully evolved Blastoise. I remember using Wartortle when I was younger, but can't recall Blastoise so I probably didn't make it far enough. Venusaur is my main starter in Kanto, but I've beaten the game with Charizard once as well.

Sceptile: Have never used Sceptile, can recall using Treecko and Grovyle briefly. Blaziken is my main and I've played through once with Swampert.

Infernape and Torterra: Chose Empoleon as my starter, ended up being my favorite starter of all time, and never tried the others. Don't like the Chimchar line, at all.

Serperior and Emboar: Absolutely hate Serperior. Have grown very fond of Emboar, but like Sinnoh, I picked one starter (Samurott) and never looked back. Plus, my two close friends claimed the others and we always get different starters from one another.

Greninja: Just never wanted to use it. Had Chesnaught for my first playthrough and thought that would be my main starter. But after giving Delphox a try, I fell head over heels in love with it and switched my starter preference, which is unusual for me to do.

As for the Johto starters, have beaten the games with all three of them, claiming Meganium as my favorite from that Gen.

GengyGengar

Sp00py
    Years
  • Surprisingly, I've used every single starter Pokemon at least once. To be fair I've played through every game at least three times, possibly more than that, which equals using them all at least once. The one I've used the most, though, it probably Totodile or Treecko, which isn't surpising because they're my favourites~ :3

Years
  • Totodile, Mudkip, Turtwig, Piplup, Snivy, Oshawott, Chespin, Froakie.

Notice none of the Kanto starters are on that list, over the years I've tried them all at least once. Hooray!

Now as for the others, most of my never having used them is due to just never having the chance to try them out. Mudkip, for example. If I started another Hoenn game, I might actually choose Mudkip to finally try it out. Why I haven't yet is because I wanted to give the others a try first.

Turtwig, Piplup, Snivy, Oshawott, Chespin, Froakie. Same deal. I've only played their respective games once so far, and I ended up--
    Oh man, I just realized I picked the fire starter for each of those games. That was not intended, how odd. Secret love for fire types? But yeah, if given the chance to start over I would probably pick the grass starters. Although the choice between Chespin and Froakie would be hard (might actually go for Froakie in that case).

And then there's Totodile.
    Which, sad to say, I've never been a big fan of Totodile. I know that Feraligatr can be pretty beastly, but if always given the choice between it and the other two Johto starters...I'll probably always pick one of the other two. I just don't really like the thought of using it.

Years
  • not tepig

Never used Bulbasaur, Treecko, Turtwig, Piplup, Snivy, Chespin, or Fennekin as my actual starter. I did pick Bulbasaur in my Y playthrough and Treecko in my SoulSilver playthrough, though.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    The actual answer is no, for real. But that kinda reply is wrong, so I'll stick with something similar yet not stray off the main topic. ^^

Hoenn - While I love the Hoenn Starters Trio among the other regions, Treecko's the started that I rarely pick. Torchic and Mudkip are dependable already even at the first stage, Treecko on the other hand needs good team mate support. That's not to say the Treecko line is frail, in fact Sceptile is as strong and reliable as its peers, Blaziken and Swampert
    Unova - Tepig and Snivy ties: The Snivy line has a rather limited movepool, while Tepig and its evolution forms can learn different kinds of move like Scald, Wild Charge and several Fighting moves, its Speed is a burden to its typing.
    Kalos - Chesnaught. I have one and he's even Level 100 now! But I just don't know how to use him effectively and to the fullest. Ironically I'm good at using an another Pokémon from Hoenn with the same typing as Chestnut-kun!
    Sinnoh - Turtwig looks cute, Torterra looks great! But that slow Speed and that four times Ice-type weakness is not appealing to me. Nevertheless, it is quite reliable as a Defensive sponge.
    Johto - Chikorita was orginally my most favorite among the Johto trio. Thunder Punch saved Typhlosion from falling into limbo in Gen II and III, he's later given access to Eruption. On the other hand Chikorita didn't have much significant improvement from its Johto Starters peers which made her to be left behind by the alligator and porcupine.
    Kanto - While Water-type is my most favorite type among the 18 types, that didn't do justice for the Squirtle line which is very ironic. The cause is mainly the lackluster offensive stats, then there are other better Water Pokémon in Kanto like the Staryu line and Slowpoke line. Fortunately its Mega Evolution helped him to see the light again. Osashi-buri, Zenigame :')

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    To be honest if we're counting hacks/emulations/restarts in this I've probably chosen most of them at least once.

If not though...

Gen 1: I can't really remember ever choosing Charmander to be honest. (or Bulbasaur) Then again I never got the 1st gen remakes so the only time I've used them on my team was in Pokemon Yellow. (I picked Squirtle in Pokemon X but I didn't use him)
    Gen 2: I have a vague recollection of using Feraligatr and Typhlosion back in the original games, but I only clearly remember picking Chikorita the first time around.
    Gen 3: I've chosen them all at least once, although Treecko and Mudkip were only during restarts.
    Gen 4: I've never chosen Chimchar (Piplup in Diamond, Turtwig in Platinum) and I probably never will since Chimchar is my least favourite starter.
    Gen 5: Chosen all three exactly once. (Oshawott in White, Snivy in Black and Tepig in White 2)
    Gen 6: Haven't chosen Chespin or Froakie yet, will probably pick Froakie when the third games come out. (Although I kind of want to use both Barbaracle and Hawlucha, so I'm tempted to drop my starter for the first time)

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Let' see...

Kanto: I've chosen all 3 at least once.

Johto: Never chose Totodile.

Hoenn: I've chosen all 3.

Sinnoh: Only played once, and that time I chose Turtwig. I've never chosen any of the other 2 a starters.

Unova: Technically I've used all 3, but I only chose Tepig on my first Black playthrough, which I never finished.

Kalos: On my first playthrough I chose Fennekin, and on the second I chose Froakie, so I still have yet to choose Chespin.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Kanto: I always started with Squirtle, but I used all three in Yellow. My least favorite of this trio would be Bulbasaur, but I still like it quite a bit.

Johto: Chikorita. Its typing and movepool are not useful for ingame purposes. I love Cyndaquil and Totodile's line.

Hoenn: Although I picked Mudkip for Emerald, I never evolved it into Swampert. I used Treecko for Sapphire and Alpha Sapphire, and have used the Torchic in my brother's Ruby file. No love for Mudkip sadly.

Sinnoh: Turtwig and Piplup. In Pearl and Platinum I started with Chimchar. In Diamond, I made my brother start with Piplup so I could later get a bred one from him. Turtwig never made the cut.

Unova: Although I've started at some point using them, technically I didn't finish evolving my Tepig in White.

Kalos: I chose to start with Chesnaught, but I have trained a Delphox and Greninja so no one was left out despite having only 1 playthrough/cartridge. :D

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • Honestly there is no tsrater I haven't used at one stage or another except for Chespin! Chespin is awesome, don't get me wrong, I just haven't played through the Kalos region a 3rd time yet so haven't had the chance. I just prefer Delphox and Greninja to Chesnaught, I have used it a lot in Competitive, especially before the turn of the year.

Back