• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tales of this thread

Yukari

I've been wanting to play a tales game but I've never actually got around to it. x:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Man Symphonia was sorta my life for a while there when I was younger. My sisters and I used to play the fuck out of it. We beat it like 15 times lol. But I think I burnt myself out on the game though. I was a little excited when Symphonia Chronicles was announced, and I got it when it came out and played it till about Palmacosta and then didn't feel like playing anymore and haven't since. Eh, oh well.

I've played Vesperia and Xillia too. I kinda think I like Vesperia slightly better overall than Symphonia though. Xillia.....wasn't bad but I didn't find it amazing either. I'll probably get Zesteria when it comes out in NA and will someday borrow my sister's copy of Abyss 3DS and see how that goes.

Still don't like Dawn of the New World

The Colosseum with no free run is not fun, though. Raine was my second favorite character after Lloyd. Raine is the medic with only 2 possible magic attacks which take a bit to cast. She's not like Tear/Natalia in Abyss who have a few more attacks and can actually, you know, attack if need be. I decided I reaaaaally wanted that Colosseum title on her, though, so I was insane enough to do it.
    Besides the first and last battles in the Advanced level, it's actually not that bad with Raine. You just gotta have that one EX Skill that saves your magic charge progress, and her standing A attack can actually keep the enemy stunlocked till it dies (it just takes forever since her physical attack power is terrible). Doing it with Genis is awful though. I think I only managed to do it once with him on a run with 10x exp on.....

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Let's all take a moment to appreciate that in Xillia 2, Jude is apparently 16 and is already a certified doctor. What am I doing with my life

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Let's all take a moment to appreciate that in Xillia 2, Jude is apparently 16 and is already a certified doctor. What am I doing with my life
    Experiencing the joys of playing as a nerfed (rip brain dead version of snap pivot) Jude as he bashes people's face in and traversing through the multitudes of alternate realities, instead of researching spyrite like the responsible doctor he's supposed to be.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Experiencing the joys of playing as a nerfed (rip brain dead version of snap pivot) Jude as he bashes people's face in and traversing through the multitudes of alternate realities, instead of researching spyrite like the responsible doctor he's supposed to be.

Just squeeze in a driver's license test in there, and we've got your everyday normal 16 year old.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Taaaales! :> Probably my favourite game series right now!

I've finished Eternia, Symphonia/2, Abyss, Innocence, Vesperia+PS3, Hearts R, Graces f, Xillia/2, and Zestiria. Additionally I've played a little bit of Phantasia and Legendia, but I've never finished them. As for side games, I've played Radiant Mythology/2, VS, Twin Brave, and I sort of play the mobile games Asteria and Link on and off. (Moreso Asteria because it has an actual plot and character interaction that isn't a crappy self-insert and that's the kind of content I care about... but I'm really mad at it for not giving me swimsuit Alvin in the gacha AGAIN this summer after throwing money at it for the second time so I haven't played a lot since then.)

My favourite game in the series is Xillia, although Graces has my favourite battle system (and ensemble cast) and Abyss is objectively the best one I've played despite all its technobabble. But seriously, Xillia is great even though a lot of people didn't like it much. I loved the lack of world map (I hate world maps, so sue me), the skits were great, and I really liked its painterly sort of graphics style. :> Plus, I think it has literally the best mechanics in any JRPG I've ever played. It's like a love story to the genre; it's such a joy to play! It keeps track of the side quests you've activated as well as their progress, it hints at you with skits any time a sidequest or its progression becomes accessible, you can quick travel anywhere (for free *glares at Zestiria) so backtracking (which the game actually had very little of) isn't such a slog, levelling up is simple but still customizable so it feels important without feeling overwhelming, and so on and so on. It's just unfortunate that Bamco rushed it (and every game after it) because if Xillia had had the same amount of time/care dedicated to it that earlier games got? I think it would be a masterpiece. Plus it was the last main Tales game where you could main any character and and have fun rather than feel like you were missing out because you're playing the "wrong" one, and as someone who never mains the main characters, I appreciate that a lot.

One of the only goals I had for the summer was to clear out some of the Tales games I'd never played because I really want to be able to say I've played them all. School started today and I just realized I... didn't even play any Tales games. ;_;'
    Let's all take a moment to appreciate that in Xillia 2, Jude is apparently 16 and is already a certified doctor. What am I doing with my life
    If you ever wanna feel even worse about your progress in life... he went off to med school at age 12. :')

Years
  • Jude is a doctor and I ain't even working :(
    Most Tales characters are younger than me and doing so much lmao

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • http://blog.talesofgame.com/en/tales-of-zestiria-reveals-its-pc-specs-ps4-info/

Zestiria PS4/PC "specs" were released today. The upgrades sound pretty good to me! PS3 version has such terrible draw distance so it's nice to see it'll be at least 2x better. No more ENTIRE MOUNTAIN popping out of a cutscene because the camera zoomed out slightly! Updated textures and anti-aliasing sounds godlike too. I never did get over just how jaggy everyone was in the game.

The game will be locked at 30fps because apparently it doesn't perform well if they unlock it. I'm already seeing a lot of people complaining about that but honestly...? Coming from the PS3 version all I can think is "goddamn I WISH 30fps had been the norm on PS3... that sounds godlike" because seriously, framerate was just so, so, SO awful on PS3. The first few minutes of the game I remember thinking, specifically because of the framerate, that the game wasn't built for PS3. And further, I remember this one cutscene where there was a voiceover and no one on-screen was even moving--just a slow camera pan--and the game had a slow/choppy framerate for it so... 30fps, if they can keep it static, sounds great to me, lol.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'm so ready for Zestiria. Ready to watch the opening cinematic a million times and fall in love with the cast. <3

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • http://blog.talesofgame.com/en/tales-of-zestiria-reveals-its-pc-specs-ps4-info/
    The game will be locked at 30fps because apparently it doesn't perform well if they unlock it.
    I'm curious on what problems they encountered with it. I know with Dark Souls PC, unlocking the frame rate will lead to collision being non-existent when sliding down ladders. Well, I'll find out when Zestiria PC comes out since I'll probably prod around the ini files to find where the FPS settings are. Worst case scenario is the game probably won't even start when I unlock it. Best case scenario is that animations are janky. To be totally honest, what I'm actually expecting and most likeliest to happen, is that the game will break and funny shit will happen.

I'm already seeing a lot of people complaining about that but honestly...? Coming from the PS3 version all I can think is "goddamn I WISH 30fps had been the norm on PS3... that sounds godlike" because seriously, framerate was just so, so, SO awful on PS3.
    I can understand the complaints to some degree. I don't want the entire game to be 60 FPS, I just want battles to have it. PS3 version wasn't that bad. It was still running on 30 FPS or near it most of the time, yeah, it can drop into the mid-10s when shits hits the fan, but that's not all that common.

And further, I remember this one cutscene where there was a voiceover and no one on-screen was even moving--just a slow camera pan--and the game had a slow/choppy framerate for it so... 30fps, if they can keep it static, sounds great to me, lol.
    Okay, this one I'll agree with, because there were a couple scenes I distinctly remember doing this. I know one of them seemed like it was loading the environment for when the scene ends.

Really, I just want to blame this whole seamless feature that Zestiria has. I feel like all of these problems could have been avoided if they restricted it or didn't use it at all. I still can't fathom that transition into battles, when at the end of it, you're going to black screen it back to the overworld.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • So if you didn't know I loved Xillia, now I've definitely made it clear, lol.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
  • my first tales has to be Tales of Graces F, I imported it on my PS3, this was before ToGf was announced to be released outside of Japan. That game got me into the series. I then bought Tales of the Abyss on the Ps2 for a steal! 20 dollars perfect condition on amazon! Abyss became my top favorite game of the series, still is til this day! ToV is behind Abyss for me. I own the ToV PS3 version, I dont have an xbox, and i dont plan to, Im not gonna get an xbox for just one game. So I imported it for a small price. My top 3 tales is Abyss, Vesperia (PS3), and Xillia 2. my thought on Symphonia (this is my personal opinion) I dont think its that hype worthy but I do understand that people love it cause it was their first, but I felt like it was let down (Opinion), but I dont think its a terrible game at all. But I do love the series. I also Imported Hearts R, Innocence R, I also imported Hearts on the DS the anime version. I imported Xillia, and Xillia 2 (also got the NA version). I'm sad to say cause of BILLS BILLS AND MORE BILLS, I cant get ToZ :/ Plus since Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue got announced and it is 60 dollars, that is on top of my list. :/

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • ngl, when you said "bills bills and more bills" I thought you were referring to paying Ludger's debt in tox2 haha

mannakete

exec hymme Holy=Judgment sos yor
    Years
  • Too much Xillia lol

Did anyone catch the livestream from Thursday? I didn't sleep much before it started lol. The PC version of Zestiria looks so, so good and I love the voices so much. I'm used to the JPN voiced but the ENG ones are so nice too.
    The new Tales of Ambassador is pretty cool too.
    If you missed it Namdai EU uploaded it to their youtube. There's also a preview for TOS PC but it's just Chronicles and doesn't look very different imo
    Also the PC settings menu if you're into that! Doesn't affect me personally but I figured if anyone was going to play on PC you might like to see what you can change if you haven't seen it.
    24 more days for the US/PC!!! I can hardly wait!

Last edited:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • my first tales has to be Tales of Graces F, I imported it on my PS3, this was before ToGf was announced to be released outside of Japan. That game got me into the series. I then bought Tales of the Abyss on the Ps2 for a steal! 20 dollars perfect condition on amazon! Abyss became my top favorite game of the series, still is til this day! ToV is behind Abyss for me. I own the ToV PS3 version, I dont have an xbox, and i dont plan to, Im not gonna get an xbox for just one game. So I imported it for a small price. My top 3 tales is Abyss, Vesperia (PS3), and Xillia 2. my thought on Symphonia (this is my personal opinion) I dont think its that hype worthy but I do understand that people love it cause it was their first, but I felt like it was let down (Opinion), but I dont think its a terrible game at all. But I do love the series. I also Imported Hearts R, Innocence R, I also imported Hearts on the DS the anime version. I imported Xillia, and Xillia 2 (also got the NA version). I'm sad to say cause of BILLS BILLS AND MORE BILLS, I cant get ToZ :/ Plus since Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue got announced and it is 60 dollars, that is on top of my list. :/

Graces was my first too! It's a great game and I'm surprised I don't hear as many people talk about it. I'm still working through Abyss on the 3DS, slowly but surely. And I've been wanting to play Vesperia for a while now, but I'm holding out for an English PS3 port.

And of course, super hyped for ToZ! I've been resisting the urge to watch playthroughs on Youtube for months.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Tales is love. Tales is life.

Although I've only finished four of them (Symphonia, DotNW, Abyss, and Vesperia) oops. Symphonia has been a major part of my life for more than 10 years now and still holds it's title as pretty much my favorite game. Though Abyss and Vesperia are pretty much right there under it. I'm not sure which one I enjoy more between Abyss and Vesperia, but after playing the PS3 version of Vesperia I almost want to say that it beats Abyss by a margin. If only because I love the non-romantic element of Vesperia so you can see any interaction your own way (for example Ristelle is canon you can't tell me otherwise).

I do intend on playing some of the future games but I've been a little hesitant as they don't have a few things that the older games have. But I'll give them chance... eventually. Definitely going to try and get Zestiria (for the PS3 sadly. I don't have a powerful computer nor do I have a PS3) and then hope that Berseria other characters look intriguing because currently the main protag just... doesn't do it for me. :/ But yeah! I've been in a Vesperia PS2 mood the past few weeks with my sister and it's still going strong with all the extra crap that we haven't finished doing yet hahaha.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Y'all I beat Tales of Xillia 2 and...

Spoiler:

I have some big complaints with the game unfortunately, but it's mainly the fact that pretty much everything from Xillia gets rehashed. It didn't ruin my enjoyment of the game, but it was still a bit disappointing and I'm sure that's a huge turn off for some players.

Anyway, next game I'm playing is Zestiria since that comes out soon. :> I went ahead and preordered it the other day so I'm looking forward to playing it and hoping it doesn't crush my soul lol.

pkmin3033

Kay, so Zestiria has been out for a couple of days now. Anyone picked it up and have some first impressions that they'd care to share? Mine are under the spoiler, although there's nothing hugely spoilery story-wise:

Spoiler:

Obviously these are first impressions subject to revision as I progress further, but at the moment, I'm about as excited as I was when I first started playing Xillia...which is to say, not very. It's a very slow start, and it's going to have to pull some Xenoblade-level surprises to catch up. Well, maybe not THAT high, but close to it.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • It's out in North America so I finally got my copy! I'm enjoying it so far, but...

Spoiler:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • It's out in North America so I finally got my copy! I'm enjoying it so far, but...

Spoiler:

Back