• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: The Anime Chat Café

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
Yes more than half of the Kanto, Orange Islands, and Johto are nothing, but fillers. I consider a filler if there is no direct impact on pokemon or characters. Such as a new attack, new pokemon catch, new badge, or anything in that nature.

Hoenn does a little bit better with this, but there is still a ton of fillers. And Sinnoh is an overload of fillers.

Unova was ok until the end of the series, but they still had story arcs near the end.

Kalos has probably done the best job with non filler episodes. The time between the 1st gym and 2nd gym were full of them, but after that, it started to even out better to a point where there is hardly a filler. And even the fillers of Kalos have been by far the most fun to watch.
Have to agree completely with those listings on fillers!

I also don't consider it a filler based on those same merits. It's a pretty good way of doing things as those have greater impacts down the road for a season.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 6, 2017
I actually think team rocket are really good comic relief characters, and I think they are very funny, I just wish that they had a different role other than trying to steal Ash's Pokemon all the time. I wonder if they would be more interesting if they had a seperate story to Ash altogether?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 6, 2017
also, I'm up to an episode in the 4th season where Ash and the rest are searching (I use that word loosely) for articuno. And it is actually an interesting episode, even without much battling or evolving or real progress in the story. It'd be cool if they could do more episodes around the better Pokemon, not just legendaries of course though, because those are mainly for movies obviously.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Dunno why people expected her to continue with Ash. Only Misty ever did that, right? What was so different about Serena?

Attachment to the character, probably? I wasn't expecting her to stay with him, though. I was more on the "Serena is leaving Ash" since she lost the Master Class.

Re: Johto, most of it is filler, so that's why it's so unliked.

Years
  • Age 34
  • they/them
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
As far as I've come in the X/Y so far, I don't think there are many filler episodes (: a few, but mostly they have some kind of character development or pokémon learning things at least. Can't wait to reach the supposedly very good XYZ series!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 6, 2017
yeah I'm keen to get further in the series, I've heard some of the later movies are really good as well, like the zoroark one and the lucario one?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Lucario is really good to me, but some people don't like it. When it comes to the moves, it is completely up to what you like.

I know a lot of people hate Hoopa movie, but I loved it.

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
Lucario's is really good imo. A lot of the movies are good, however there's a few I don't find to interesting, such as diancie's. It was alright and not as solid as I expected it to be. As IcyIce said, it's all about opinions though.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 6, 2017
I've noticed that the movies don't fit in heaps well with the normal anime as well (they fit in as well as they can though I suppose). And considering that the art style is much more improved in the movies, do the movies and anime have different teams working on them? (Apart from the cast of course)

Years
I've noticed that the movies don't fit in heaps well with the normal anime as well (they fit in as well as they can though I suppose). And considering that the art style is much more improved in the movies, do the movies and anime have different teams working on them? (Apart from the cast of course)

Typically, yes. They also have higher budgets and more working time than the weekly anime does, at least relative to each one's run-time.

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023

I believe they switch up teams for the movies could be wrong. They also aren't really canon. Mewtwo's was suppose to be, but Ash doesn't remember it in the Mewtwo's awakening movie, so it didn't really become that.

Every legendary they meet, they never remember, so it's presumed that the events are non canon and just used to showcase the various legends of each gen with stories the writers come up with.

Years
I knew Goodra would have to return to its home, and Greninja having to stay in Kalos as a defender for the region. It's so sad that Ash is not even taking his full region team back to Oak's Lab unlike most previous sagas.

Hopefully the Alola saga will not let me down in terms of plot and handling of Ash and his new companions (aka the Trial Captains), aside from the terrible art style.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 6, 2017
ok so I just watched the 4th movie and am I really supposed to believe that Professor Oak is the older Sam from the movie or is that seriously how non canon the movies are to the anime?

And yes, I do ask a lot of questions aha, only because I'm interested though

Last edited by a moderator:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
ok so I just watched the 4th movie and am I really supposed to believe that Professor Oak is the older Sam from the movie or is that seriously how non canon the movies are to the anime?

And yes, I do ask a lot of questions aha, only because I'm interested though

As stated, Samuel Oak was the Sam in the 4th movie. Celabie teleported him back in time. This was proven because Prof. Oak already knew about what happened when Ash called and then Tracey finds the sketch book that Prof. Oak drew in the movie at the end.

But the movies are extremely non canon. The only movies that are canon to the anime is The First Movie, 2000, Heroes, and Diancie movie. Or at least it seems.

Ash remembered Mewtwo in Genesect movie, but he didn't remember him 100% due to the fact that it was a different Mewtwo.

For Heroes, Ash knew what Latios was in the Sinnoh League. Ash seemed to also remember Mew in Lucario movie.

2000 was canon during the Team Rocket Arc in the Master Quest in the Johto Whirl Islands, knowing what Lugia was and made a reference to 2000. Ash also seemed to remember Lugia, Latios, and Latias in Hoopa Movie. However, I do not think it was the Lugia that Ash saw in 2000. I think it may have been one of the Lugia's seen in the Whirl Islands, even though they were much smaller than the 2000 Lugia.

Diancie, Ash fought Astral with her Mega Absol, but it was never confirmed if they remember each other. But I am pretty sure they did.

Some you could say they aren't canon, but I think in some instances they are.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Hey guys. So possible spoilers to the game, but not huge spoiler. Nothing major or anything, but I will still put it in a spoiler.

Spoiler:

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
Hey guys. So possible spoilers to the game, but not huge spoiler. Nothing major or anything, but I will still put it in a spoiler.

Spoiler:

I'll respond in spoiler format, because my response includes data-mined spoilers

Spoiler:

Years
Aside from the Lure Ball on Ash's Totodile, the main cast pretty much only uses standard Poke Balls so I doubt this. I know that in the Sun & Moon games the NPC trainers do sometimes use Poke Balls other than the standard ones but I feel the anime will keep with using mainly standard ones.

Back