• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: The Anime Chat Café

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
  • I still feel like the SM anime is a blatant attempt to make Pokémon more like Yokai Watch. In several ways, after having watched SM for a while now, I miss the old style of the anime. In other ways, the new one is better.

I have said it before, but it isn't just Pokemon that has changed drastically. With the success of animes in Japan and some in America that have little to no story or are more gag oriented, Animes are changing to be more like those, because they are more popular in Japan.

The art style is more matching other animes as well. I am hoping that the second season will focus more on story, at the rate it is going, I don't think anything else is going to happen until Pokemon Stars comes out, if it comes out, or Season 2 of Sun and Moon.

Saying that, I am kinda going back on what I said about SM before it started. I said that the entire first season is libel to be the school and then season 2 will kick start the story telling more. But I am kinda wanting Season 1 to start it by August....

Years
  • I still feel like the SM anime is a blatant attempt to make Pokémon more like Yokai Watch. In several ways, after having watched SM for a while now, I miss the old style of the anime. In other ways, the new one is better.

I'm on the same views as you here, because I remember seeing Rotom Dex and he clearly reminded me of Whisper. Then there was the SM anime announcement and the plot of Ash going to school and becoming a complete dork subject to loads of comedic torture also gave me horrible flashbacks of Yo-Kai Watch. I did watch a few episodes just to see why that series was popular, and let's admit it, I hated it. Nate was a very bland-looking protagonist, and some of the character voices sounded horribly creepy, especially the aforementioned Whisper.

Thanks to all the drastic changes made to the Pokemon anime, I am now planning to never watch an episode of the Pokemon anime ever again until they stop this "Yo-Kai Effect" on it, because it makes Pokemon now look like a shame.

Yo-Kai Watch did achieve its goal of being a Pokemon Killer after all, because it killed the anime quality. When SM ends, it's most likely now going to overtake BW as my most hated saga because while Ash did become a noob in BW, he wasn't acting like a complete wuss which is what SM has now turned him into.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Hey guys. I wanted to do a final update with Voice Actors for Sun and Moon before the anime starts back here in USA. I know most people know who everyone is by now, but some may not. I know the last time I checked, many people weren't listed in pokemon, so I couldn't see what character they were or who they have been in other animes.

Ash - Same person as it has been.
    Lillie = Laurie Hymes (Has been the voice of Mable of Team Flare and Moria from Valcanion movie.)
    Lana = Rosie Reyes (She is a new voice actor with nothing else credited)
    Sophocles = Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld (Voice of Bonnie from XY and XYZ)
    Kiawe = Marc Swint (Voice of many abridged series)
    Samson Oak = Marc Thompson (Voice of Don George, Maxie and Saturn)
    Professor Kukui = Abe Goldfarb (Voice actor of some people here and there, but new to pokemon)

A large amount of voice actors were given credit, but their character is not lister, making me think that it is probably due to the fact that the were extras and had small parts. Notable voice actors given credit are the following.

Nurse Joy, Korrina, Old Nurse Joy voice actor, Brock's DP, Iris, Gary Oak, and Ash's Greninja's voice actor.

Also, Serena is the voice actor of....

Spoiler:

I did not see credit for Team Skull Grunt, but me and a lot of others still think it is either Natsu or Grey from Fairy Tail. However, this probably won't be confirmed for a while if at all.

Years
  • So in case if anyone's wondering who those returning VAs are, they're down below and which character they're voicing in Sun & Moon:
    Spoiler:

.Missingno

Viridian City Gym Leader
    Years
  • So as someone who hasn't watched the anime since the diamond pearl series is the new art style something that will bother me a whole lot? im not the biggest fan of it but want to know if other than the art style it is still as enjoyable as the older series.

Years
  • So as someone who hasn't watched the anime since the diamond pearl series is the new art style something that will bother me a whole lot? im not the biggest fan of it but want to know if other than the art style it is still as enjoyable as the older series.

The new art style is much less detailed than XY as a compromise for more fluidity in animation, and if you care more about how characters look rather than move, then yes the art style in Sun & Moon will likely be a concern.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years

The art style tends to be rather divisive for the international fan base. Just watch the first few episodes so you can get a feel for it, whether you like it or not is up to you...

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    So as someone who hasn't watched the anime since the diamond pearl series is the new art style something that will bother me a whole lot? im not the biggest fan of it but want to know if other than the art style it is still as enjoyable as the older series.
    imo you get used to it pretty quickly, but the most jarring thing is Ash's difference... his design, his face is just... Very different. It's kind of bothersome XD

Years
  • I'm with Rika. The SM Ash design is incredibly dorky to look at, since it does remind me of Steven from Steven Universe, mixed with Monkey D. Luffy from One Piece.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I'm OK with Ash's design, I think Jessie and James' designs are the real concern. They just look terrible imo.

Years
  • I'm OK with Ash's design, I think Jessie and James' designs are the real concern. They just look terrible imo.

Ah yes. Jessie and James are even worse with those derpy-looking faces, basically I'd definitely fire the person who drew them like that.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I do wonder if Pokemon Sun and Moon are going to be similar to other animes, where the DVD version or blu-ray version look 5000% better. Jessie and James designs don't bother me too much. Jessie's is kinda odd, but I think the design matches James well.

So I have a question, I know Ash technically hasn't caught Rotom, but would you consider it his pokemon, but not an actual capture? You see, I have a small Shiny Challenge with myself that I have been working on for about... 2 or 3 years now, trying to catch every shiny version of a pokemon Ash has caught in the past, including ones like Raticate and Beedrill. So I was wondering if I should also count Rotom as one of Ash's pokemon.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • It is the rotomdex right... you should already have it if you're playing Sun and Moon XD

I'd like to think it as a walking exposition dump... It's also a good solution for the DUB, the characters doesn't need to look dumb and always ask's what the move does (EVEN THOUGHT THEY SEEN AND USED THE MOVES BEFORE!!!) Rotom could just spout the effects of the move without the other characters looking stupid noobs...

Sun25

~Sweet and Kind~
    Years
  • I really love the anime very much and I wish we could see more of Misty, May, Dawn, Iris and Serena. Like what happen to them after leaving Ash, same goes for all the boys beside Ash.
    I'm really curious what happen to them.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • I really love the anime very much and I wish we could see more of Misty, May, Dawn, Iris and Serena. Like what happen to them after leaving Ash, same goes for all the boys beside Ash.
    I'm really curious what happen to them.

Japan usually has a few specials after a region concludes that shows off these character's more.

Very rarely are they dubbed in English. TPCi is lazy.

Sun25

~Sweet and Kind~
    Years
  • I know we can se what happen to Misty in Pokemon Chronicles in English dub but I wish the same goes for May, Dawn, Iris and Serena:-)

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I know we can se what happen to Misty in Pokemon Chronicles in English dub but I wish the same goes for May, Dawn, Iris and Serena:-)

Well they kinda show what happens to May in Diamond and Pearl. Dawn also has her own special where she is starting to do a Pokemon Modeling Career with Buneary. Iris also has her own episode of her in Johto, along with Cilan meeting up with Brock in Kanto. But they have never been dubbed. A few other things happen in those episodes, so I won't mention them. At least not here.

We haven't seen anything about Serena or Clemont yet, but I think the special usually come out around the end of the first season of a new region, so we might still get one in October or so. I especially don't see them skipping a special for Serena.

It is the rotomdex right... you should already have it if you're playing Sun and Moon XD

I'd like to think it as a walking exposition dump... It's also a good solution for the DUB, the characters doesn't need to look dumb and always ask's what the move does (EVEN THOUGHT THEY SEEN AND USED THE MOVES BEFORE!!!) Rotom could just spout the effects of the move without the other characters looking stupid noobs...

That isn't what I meant :P I was going to catch a normal Shiny Rotom in one of my games.

And yes, I really agree with RotomDex thing. It annoys me that it interrupts every trainer when they are trying to explain something or a pokemon. It is going to get old. The other characters know what they are talking about, just let them explain it instead of interrupting them. Right now, that is the most annoying thing about Pokemon Sun and Moon to me.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    Yeah RotomDex is pretty irritating. I hope in the future they go back to the Pokedex just speaking on command or they make it something like Siri or Cortana that Ash pushes a button and asks for info on the Pok?mon.

Back