• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Daily Chit-Chat [Summer or Winter Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I've only seen Episode 1 of BW in Japanese. Yeahhhhhhh.

B)

Same. xD I don't really follow the Japanese version much. I'm only DVRing the *new* English episodes that come on Saturday morning. Then I just watch them whenever I get around with watching. xD

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    The thought of a competent and menacing Team Rocket is almost enough to get me watching again. Almost.

I'll watch when it finally comes time for Kamitsure's gym battle, but it appears that they're certainly taking their sweet time with that.
    You should watch it noooow. :P

So should I. I've fallen incredibly behind lately, what with school and a recent Macross binge, everything else just sort of fell to the wayside.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    It seems that you like the Japanese names more. I am the same way.

I kind of switch back and forth interchangeably. I always use English names of Pokemon, but a few of the translated names for characters are vomitously horrible (e.g. Shikimi -> Shauntal) and so it depends. I'm actually just fine with Elesa for Kamitsure, her Japanese name is just more ingrained in my mind because of seeing カミツレ all the time when searching for art of her on Pixiv.

You should watch it noooow. :P

So should I. I've fallen incredibly behind lately, what with school and a recent Macross binge, everything else just sort of fell to the wayside.

Macross binge? We must MSN later.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Macross binge? We must MSN later.
    Later tonight! ...or maybe tomorrow, upgrading to 7 today. :P

But yes! I downloaded the original series a few days ago, the recent redub and ate it up in like 3/4 days. Went on to Do You Remember Love? and Macross Plus annnd have just started 7!
    Have never seen the original Macross completely through and omg I think it's one of my new favorite anime. It also gave me someone to hate so much (Kaifun) and I knew Roy would die but man! Kakizaki's death just took me by surprise.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I prefere the japanese names, voices and anime overall to English. Ash's voice sucks big time in the English version, even his Swedish voice is better. And I know Dento is a weird name, but I've gotten used to him being called that now so calling him Cilan seems... even stranger.

And don't even get me started on the pokémon voices....... Mijumaru isn't Mijumaru without his voice. Part of what makes him so great is how he goes "Miiiiiiju!" and just loves himself. Not to mention Pokabu's cute, fierce voice when he exits the pokéball... and Tsutarja. Snivy kind of... makes me think of Severus "Snivellus" Snape.

bitter bitter bla bla

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years

Later tonight! ...or maybe tomorrow, upgrading to 7 today. :P

But yes! I downloaded the original series a few days ago, the recent redub and ate it up in like 3/4 days. Went on to Do You Remember Love? and Macross Plus annnd have just started 7!
    Have never seen the original Macross completely through and omg I think it's one of my new favorite anime. It also gave me someone to hate so much (Kaifun) and I knew Roy would die but man! Kakizaki's death just took me by surprise.

Yup, the original Macross is amazing. Makes me sad that it's gotten so many fewer series than Gundam as the end of the original series pretty much opened the franchise up to infinite directions to go in. It's my favorite pre-Evangelion mecha series.

Just a tip to save you time (and brain cells): skip Macross II if you haven't already decided to, it's beyond terribad. Honestly, I also hated the concept of Macross 7 so much that I never actually watched more than the first episode, but if you end up liking it maybe I'll give it a second try, heh. And I won't mention Frontier at all because I don't want to color your opinion of it before you watch it.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Did someone say mecha?

But apart from that, isn't the mecha genre slowly dying? I never really focused on mecha too much, but that seems to be the case.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    But apart from that, isn't the mecha genre slowly dying? I never really focused on mecha too much, but that seems to be the case.

Yeah, there have been very few mecha shows in the past few years, and none since Gurren-Lagann that I'd say were particularly good. We've pretty much just had Linebarrels and Star Driver since then, so....yeah, not looking good for the genre.

As far as recent mecha goes I'd recommend tracking down the Break Blade movies, though. They're pretty decent.

Well, I tend to use them interchangeably, but if I am talking to someone else about the game, I sometimes stop while describing the game- or whatever aspect it is- to think of the English name because they more than likely won't know what I am talking about.

I don't think I've seen the Sweedish version. I gotta see this. But I agree. His US voice really sucks.

Yeah, in most circumstances I'd never use the Japanese names. Just in the presence of Pokemon nerds even bigger than I am, like PC :p

Booting the 4kids cast was enough to get me to never watch the dub again on principle, but yeah, from the few bits I've caught channel surfing Ash's voice is really bad.

Anders

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    Did someone say mecha?

What system is this? Please tell me I can get it on the PS3 or I'll cry and blame it on you.

D:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Meh, I never bothered to learn Japanese Pokemon names, nor have I ever imported a Pokemon game before its US release.

And Ash's voice is the reason I never watched the Pokemon anime, as well. It's just so... grating. It hurts my head just listening to him.

Macross Frontier is probably the only mecha series I've ever seen to its conclusion, probably because I got introduced to it in anime club.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Yup, the original Macross is amazing. Makes me sad that it's gotten so many fewer series than Gundam as the end of the original series pretty much opened the franchise up to infinite directions to go in. It's my favorite pre-Evangelion mecha series.

Just a tip to save you time (and brain cells): skip Macross II if you haven't already decided to, it's beyond terribad. Honestly, I also hated the concept of Macross 7 so much that I never actually watched more than the first episode, but if you end up liking it maybe I'll give it a second try, heh. And I won't mention Frontier at all because I don't want to color your opinion of it before you watch it.
    I was surprised when Frontier was first announced that it was just the third Macross series. It's really the sort of franchise that could support a bunch of spin offs. What with the whole encountering aliens and traveling the galaxy stuff, endless possibilities in there.

Haha, I haven't seen Macross II yet and I think I might hold off until a really slow day to watch it. I've read that it was relegated to AU status since the main guy from the original show had nothing to do with it and his word is law, so I figure I would just stick to the main shows for now. I was going to watch the franchise in story order, but I figure that might ruin a few of the later shows for me, so I went with production order(ish) and got most of the early stuff out of the way pretty fast.

Macross 7 is...interesting. I saw the first episode years ago and didn't think much of it, so I didn't continue the series. Around last year I met a friend who has quite a few years of anime watching behind her and she told me that 7 is considered a pretty groundbreaking series for anime and mecha in general. Sooo I've gone into it with more of an open mind this time around and I'm enjoying it. I still have no idea what the hell is going on, but I assume that's going to be cleared up as the series progresses. Basara is an enigmatic main character and that always makes for a compelling show when there's no other reason to stick around, though I like most of the series. It's also nice to see where Max ended up all these years later . . . though I hate that they made Exsedol stick to his green brain frog look from the movie, it's probably the one redesign I wasn't fond of at all.

(I've seen most of Frontier, skipped around towards the middle and end cause it got a little boring and I remember hating the inconclusive ending, but I'm definitely going to be more open minded this time)

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Mecha has never been my near the top of my favourite genres, only seen TTGL, NGE, Geass, FLCL, Star Driver, Appleseed, Voices of a Distant Star and Infinite Stratos (best anime ever) and not many of them are purist Macross or Gundam.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Yeah, there have been very few mecha shows in the past few years, and none since Gurren-Lagann that I'd say were particularly good. We've pretty much just had Linebarrels and Star Driver since then, so....yeah, not looking good for the genre.

As far as recent mecha goes I'd recommend tracking down the Break Blade movies, though. They're pretty decent.
    Oh god, I never watched Gurren Lagann despite hearing everyone praise it. I really should change that.

The last anime I watched that was even mecha-esque was Code Geass, and I don't really think that counts.
    What system is this? Please tell me I can get it on the PS3 or I'll cry and blame it on you.

D:
    It's going on PC, but it'll probably come out on PSN/XBL as well.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Gurren Lagann was definitely not my cup of tea, though I can see how it would appeal to others more interested in that genre of anime.

I'll take my high school romance and mahou shoujo series, thanks :P Pretty Cure forever!

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    The new clutter feature is beautiful. ;-;
    The Daily Chit-Chat [Summer or Winter Edition]

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    I was surprised when Frontier was first announced that it was just the third Macross series. It's really the sort of franchise that could support a bunch of spin offs. What with the whole encountering aliens and traveling the galaxy stuff, endless possibilities in there.

Haha, I haven't seen Macross II yet and I think I might hold off until a really slow day to watch it. I've read that it was relegated to AU status since the main guy from the original show had nothing to do with it and his word is law, so I figure I would just stick to the main shows for now. I was going to watch the franchise in story order, but I figure that might ruin a few of the later shows for me, so I went with production order(ish) and got most of the early stuff out of the way pretty fast.

Macross 7 is...interesting. I saw the first episode years ago and didn't think much of it, so I didn't continue the series. Around last year I met a friend who has quite a few years of anime watching behind her and she told me that 7 is considered a pretty groundbreaking series for anime and mecha in general. Sooo I've gone into it with more of an open mind this time around and I'm enjoying it. I still have no idea what the hell is going on, but I assume that's going to be cleared up as the series progresses. Basara is an enigmatic main character and that always makes for a compelling show when there's no other reason to stick around, though I like most of the series. It's also nice to see where Max ended up all these years later . . . though I hate that they made Exsedol stick to his green brain frog look from the movie, it's probably the one redesign I wasn't fond of at all.

(I've seen most of Frontier, skipped around towards the middle and end cause it got a little boring and I remember hating the inconclusive ending, but I'm definitely going to be more open minded this time)

Even though Macross is well-love in Japan I guess it's just inherently less marketable because of how many fewer VFs there are per series than there are Gundams, ZAKUs, etc. in your average Gundam series. Because there tends to be so much more time given to the characters there's less time to ***** out the mechas to drive sales for models and such. *cough*GundamAGE*cough* Three series and a handful of OVAs in 28 years is.....not nearly enough :(

Yeah, Macross II got erased from canon, but it's still pretty bad in its own right. I also never watch stuff in chronological order, always production order. Too much spoiler risk.

If you have anything good to say about Macross 7 I'll try it again. I used to find the idea of a VF with speakers and a big guitar insulting to the legacy of the first Macross now, but...maybe, just maybe it might actually be kind of badass. My tastes are changing, I suppose. Macross Frontier definitely forced me to accept that the series is about music as much as it is mecha, so I can probably handle 7 now.

Eew, Exsedol kept his DYRL appearance? Sad, sad. I'll agree that Frontier had a terrible ending and generally went downhill in the second half, but it's all still worth watching just for Sheryl Nome. She's one of the greatest characters in any anime ever.

Mecha has never been my near the top of my favourite genres, only seen TTGL, NGE, Geass, FLCL, Star Driver, Appleseed, Voices of a Distant Star and Infinite Stratos (best anime ever) and not many of them are purist Macross or Gundam.

I would hesitate to categorize half of those series as mecha :p Really, I think that most of the best ones aired in the 80s before they got mucked up by so many anime tropes, but most older mecha remain partially or completely unsubbed so I haven't seen much pre-90s. 70s anime also grosses me out so I have a hard time watching anything that was made before the original Mobile Suit Gundam, heh.

Oh god, I never watched Gurren Lagann despite hearing everyone praise it. I really should change that.

The last anime I watched that was even mecha-esque was Code Geass, and I don't really think that counts.

You don't even have to like mecha to like Gurren-Lagann, as the mechs in that show pretty much just act as the embodiment of the spirit of the characters. Sure, there are tons of mechs, but it's far from a show about piloting a robot. Watch it!

Code Geass could be classified as......pretty much any genre depending on how you look at it. That's how huge a trainwreck it ended up being, it almost defies categorization XD

I liked TTGL for the same reason I liked my favourite Mahhou Shoujo, Nanoha, over the top everything.

*edit* I lied, CCS>Nanoha

How over-the-top does Nanoha get? After Heartcatch Precure got me hooked on mahou shoujo last year I tried to watch the first Nanoha series but the couple of episodes I watched just looked like loli pandering.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    You don't even have to like mecha to like Gurren-Lagann, as the mechs in that show pretty much just act as the embodiment of the spirit of the characters. Sure, there are tons of mechs, but it's far from a show about piloting a robot. Watch it!

Code Geass could be classified as......pretty much any genre depending on how you look at it. That's how huge a trainwreck it ended up being, it almost defies categorization XD

I love mecha, both Eastern and Western, but mecha anime were always pretty low on my "to watch" list. I'll have to get to Gurren Lagann after I finish up Hajime No Ippo and Gantz.

And let's not say rash things here. The second season was awful, but the first season was halfway decent, even if the ending was so disappointing.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Even though Macross is well-love in Japan I guess it's just inherently less marketable because of how many fewer VFs there are per series than there are Gundams, ZAKUs, etc. in your average Gundam series. Because there tends to be so much more time given to the characters there's less time to ***** out the mechas to drive sales for models and such. *cough*GundamAGE*cough* Three series and a handful of OVAs in 28 years is.....not nearly enough :(

Yeah, Macross II got erased from canon, but it's still pretty bad in its own right. I also never watch stuff in chronological order, always production order. Too much spoiler risk.

If you have anything good to say about Macross 7 I'll try it again. I used to find the idea of a VF with speakers and a big guitar insulting to the legacy of the first Macross now, but...maybe, just maybe it might actually be kind of badass. My tastes are changing, I suppose. Macross Frontier definitely forced me to accept that the series is about music as much as it is mecha, so I can probably handle 7 now.

Eew, Exsedol kept his DYRL appearance? Sad, sad. I'll agree that Frontier had a terrible ending and generally went downhill in the second half, but it's all still worth watching just for Sheryl Nome. She's one of the greatest characters in any anime ever.
    I can totally see this being true. As I watched the original series I was pretty surprised when episodes would go by and we've only had a minimal amount of action, and most of the time it was just in jet mode, never really showing off the fighter modes to their full extent. Though I do think the best part of the series as far as the mecha go are the ships themselves. The original Macross is gorgeous in carrier mode and looks absolutely alien when it transforms and it's really one of the few giant mecha that actually give the impression of size of that scale. I think this is why the Macross Quarter really disappointed me, there was just no sense of monstrous size when compared to the other Macross ships out there.

What exactly is it about Macross II that's bad? I already don't like the animation style from what little I've seen, so I'm in no hurry whatsoever to watch it. XD

7 is a pretty good show, I'm still not too far, so I imagine it's going to be revealing things as it moves along, but I do love the characters right now. Basara is really an interesting choice for the lead, and there's a bit of an avatar for the audience in Meylin since she seems to be the only one lost as to what's going on. There's nothing about it that's bad, I think it's just takes themes from the original show and slams them right into your face. I also love that it actually feels like a true sequel, more so than Plus did. I love shows that start to build up a world and give you that sense of a universe. Plus, it's cool to see Max commanding a Macross!

I think the reason I didn't really find myself too into the franchise at first was exactly because of the music. I've always seen music a vital part of the franchise and that was something I wasn't sure I could deal with. The idea of a pop singer basically causing an entire faction of the enemies to defect was pretty ridiculous, but the story around it does make a lot of sense and is generally pulled off pretty nicely. I guess that's why the music stuff in 7 doesn't bother me so much, and Basara is a genuinely interesting character.

That and he went back to his original size, so it basically looks like he's a giant head on the bridge. XD It's still cool to see him there, though, he was my favorite of the Zentradi from the original series and while he and Max obviously aren't the main focus, seeing them is always a nice treat. I shall keep that Frontier stuff in mind! It's been so long since I watched that I can only remember hating the final episode because if there's one thing Macross shouldn't do, it's to not properly conclude a love story.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back