• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge: The Dialect Quiz (UK/IE + US)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 23, 2019
    Inspired by erik destler's accent challenge (found here) I thought I'd start a thread for a dialect challenge, because the way you say something is one thing but your actual choice of words is another.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Because PokeCommunity is an English-speaking forum and many of its bilingual members learned American English as opposed to British English, I have included both a British Isles and a United States dialect quiz.

British Isles Dialect Quiz
    United States Dialect Quiz

So, give both a go and share your most and least maps for both. Happy dialecting!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Blimey

The Dialect Quiz (UK/IE + US)

Years
  • The Dialect Quiz (UK/IE + US)

this had me in tears im gonna start calling people numptys

anyway

UK
    Spoiler:

america is years ahead of us i see

US one
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Got this:

america is years ahead of us i see
    I've....never heard of this being a thing either

must be something that only exists in certain parts of the country

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Glad to know theres a reason why i cant tell you what kind of us accent/dialect i have bc im everything but one little section wow

Spoiler:

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • Least surprising result since Theresa May's vote of no confidence:
    Spoiler:

Although, more interestingly, my dialect also most closely resembles that of North-Eastern USA:
    Spoiler:

Honestly I find this stuff (accents, dialects, languages in general) fascinating; if ever I was to go to college/uni and choose a course for myself, I think linguistics would certainly be up there.

Years
  • I've....never heard of this being a thing either

must be something that only exists in certain parts of the country

I don't think it's a good idea though bc the clerk would have a hard time telling if they should sell to the person or not?

Years
  • Bloody blimey rollicking bollocks! Not a bean out of old Britain? Not a sausage?! Bastards. Utter bastards, and as inaccurate as my drawings.

I scored New York out of America, 'carz ey'm frarm da Bronx, buddy.

Years
  • I did this in the office the other day. All of the non-Chinese staff are Brits from all different parts of the country and it guessed all of us correctly. I think it's quite clever asking us questions based around childhood things because a fair few of us have changed accents and phrasings from moving about but we'd generally still use the same words for things like PE shoes or the game of running after each other in the playground since we wouldn't need to use those words much outside of childhood.

Last edited:
    Back