• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Fascination with Rocks

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I'm probably not the only person to see this, right? Ya ever notice how rocks and stones are ever-present in Pokemon and play a somewhat important role? There's the Rock type. There's a Rock type gym leader in every generation except the 5th. Many Pokemon evolve via special stones. Pokemon Mega Evolve through mega stones. There's Steven Stone. The original Tao Dragon and Deoxys came to the world on a meteor (aka big flying space rocks), and Deoxys even requires meteorites in order to change form. There's the meteorite you get at Mt.Chimney. Zekrom and Reshiram's dormant forms are the Dark Stone and the Light Stone. There's an item called the Hard Stone. Rocks even factor into ORAS's Delta Episode (gonna spoiler this part since ORAS is new)
    Spoiler:

Why is there an emphasis on rocks/stones of all things in the Pokemon world?

Kyoe

working on it
    Years
    It might be a symbolic representation of the earth. In many cultures around the world there's a focus on the earth, the ground, the soil... it may be that the developers are pulling on that to add in a sort of constant character throughout every game in the series. The planet.

OR, maybe they're just weird...

Years
    • Seen today
    I'm not sure what it means, but I think that it has to do with the fact that rocks are a big part of the real world. Also, you missed the best rock:
    The Fascination with Rocks

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I think it might just be simple to use rocks, stones and gems for stuff like this. If there must be some kind of natural artifacts that can help pokémon evolve and stuff like that, having them be rocks is just the simplest solution. What else would there be, really? Plants? Man-made items? Liquids? Earth without life is rocks and water. It's as natural as it gets.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Not to mention the first ever pokemon design was Rhydon, a rock-type. And he's the look of every gym statue, monster icon in the party list in the old games, and the substitute doll. lol

This thread gets a 7.8/10 too much rocks.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I just saw it as simple and makes sense. There are plenty of rocks and gems in our world that supposedly have powers behind them or symbolize things. Not only that, but they're just a natural part of earth. Pokemon are basically animals for the most part and some use natural items like stones to evolve/change forms.

Back