• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge Re:Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsOftheSummit

King of the known land, tactician of war
Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Forum User Name: KingsOfTheSummit
    Game(s): FireRed, HeartGold, Emerald, Platinum, Black, Y, Moon
    Pokémon Type: Dragon
    Single/Ultimate: Ultimate

I know this is gonna be pretty difficult, and one of the hardest monotypes, but i'm here to achieve the un-achievable

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2021
    Ok so my runs in poison still have not been updated and I'm unsure if I got missed or if they are incredibly slow at updating but I hope its the later.
    In less positive news my white run is now cancelled because after reviewing the rules it is invalid as I obtained my first poison type after the second gym so I will have to restart with white 2 at a later date.
    As this is the second disaster to happen in gen v (the other being several hours lost from a freeze) I am moving to the next gen for now and beginning my y run.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2021
    Just to be perfectly clear this is the updated poison run
    Forum User Name: Xemnahort
    Game(s): Blue, Crystal, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, White 2, X, Ultra Moon, Sword
    Pokémon Type: Poison

Years
  • Normal Monotype Blue Update #3: Silph Co to Finish

Spoiler:

Challenge Progress
    Kanto: Blue (Complete)
    Johto: Crystal
    Hoenn: Alpha Sapphire
    Sinnoh: Platinum (Complete)
    Unova: undecided
    Kalos: undecided
    Alola: Ultra Sun (Up Next)

Attachments

• The Monotype Challenge Re:Returns
      championdefeated.PNG
      1.8 KB · Views: 0
      clefable.PNG
      2 KB · Views: 0
      raticate.PNG
      2.3 KB · Views: 1
      snorlax.PNG
      2.4 KB · Views: 1
      tauros.PNG
      2.4 KB · Views: 0

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Just completed my Electric run on White 2. I put it on Hard Mode to give me a bit of a challenge.

Final Team:
    Blodgett the Ampharos (F), Lvl78 : Thunderbolt, Signal Beam, Power Gem, Strength
    -My first team member. Very solid. She primarily used Thunderbolt and was good at it. Signal Beam and Power Gem were used sparingly since she couldn't get the kill most of the time.

Wigner the Electivire (M), Lvl79 : Thunder Punch, Earthquake, Ice Punch, Brick Break
    -He was so weak as an Elekid; he couldn't get KOs nor could he take hits. Evolving into an Electabuzz helped a lot, and evolving into Electivire made him into my MVP. Wigner was a powerhouse with 4 very strong moves, taking out tough opponents left and right. Would use again.

Schwinger the Emolga (M), Lvl78 : Thunderbolt, Acrobatics, Double Team, Iron Tail
    -Surprisingly good. Schwinger's 2 main good points were Acrobatics and Double Team. Acrobatics was essential at taking out Grass types in the early game, which resisted electric attacks. Double Team was also essential in taking out the tougher gym leaders: Elesa and Clay. He would raise evasiveness all the way up and just go at it. A little frail though.

Karlik the Galvantula (F), Lvl79 : Thunderbolt, Bug Buzz, Energy Ball, Flash
    -Basically a better Blodgett. Higher special attack meant better Thunderbolts. STAB + Higher base power meant Bug Buzz was way better than Blodgett's Signal Beam. Energy Ball was just great for ground types. Super good.

Dirac the Eelektross (M), Lvl79 : Wild Charge, Dragon Claw, Crunch, Flamethrower
    -Pretty good, but so, so horrible as a Tynamo. I wanted Eelektross immediately, so the moment Dirac evolved into Eelektrik, I quickly used a Thunder Stone. Dirac was a powerhouse, with his Wild Charge. Very useful.

Swirles the Zebstrika (F), Lvl78 : Wild Charge, Flame Charge, Bounce, Thrash
    -The worst team member by far. Way too frail and just couldn't get KOs. Wild Charge was good, but that recoil really hurt her. Even though I was counting on her speed, she wasn't even the fastest team member. Also her movepool didn't give many choices for her moveset. Zebstrika is just mediocre in general.

-Overall, pretty good team. The early game was really tough, but after getting past Clay, it was a breeze.

\\\\

Just a question in terms of the challenge: The banned list of pokemon only includes up to the end of Gen 6.
    I know this can be extrapolated up to Gen 8, but I just want to make sure, in case I use one. Are the following pokemon banned:
    The Ultra Beasts, The Tapus, Type: Null and Silvally, Zygarde 10%.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2020
    I'm really happy to see that this challenge already exists as I was looking to create a new thread for my very own challenge.
    I was looking to go through every region and do a mono run for every single type, as I've got quite some time on my hand thanks to the current situation.
    So guess I'm gonna start here and jump right in with this challenge:

Forum User Name: Oggynal
    Game(s): LGE / HG / AS / PT / W2 / Y / US / SW
    Pokémon Type: Poison

As Crobat is my favourite Pokemon I am looking into doing an Ultimate Poison run first.
    Starting with Platinum as I have not played Gen. 4 in quite some time.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2020
    Okay, so it has been almost a week since I first posted to this thread and decided to take on the Poison mono type ultimate challenge.
    Starting off with Platinum I was instantly reminded of how easy we have it these days, leveling up multiple Pokemon at once. These older games are a much better challenge and harder to get through, especially with only one type available.

Starting my adventure in Platinum I chose Piplup as my starter for the first interactions of the game, as I knew he was going to be a great HM slave. After reaching Jubilife City and having access to Route 204 and the Ravaged Path I was quickly able to add the first two Poison Pokemon to my team: Budew and Zubat. After grinding for quite a while I was confident in their strengths to move on to face the first gym leader. As you could have guessed Budew was able to easily finish his Rock Pokemon off.

Moving towards the second badge I was faced with my first real challenge, Mars and her Purugly. Neither Budew nor Zubat were even close to evolving so it took me some grinding to get to the right level and some luck using Supersonic to finally beat her. Whilst traveling through Eterna Forest I was able to find the third addition to my team, a Gastly.
    The second badge was quite easy to obtain, especially since Zubat evolved into Golbat and had access to super effective STAB Wing Attack.

The third badge was as easy, since Gastly evolved into Haunter and after a quick trade into his final form Gengar. After leaving for Veilstone City and meeting up with Barry, god I hate Barry. And beating him into the ground, Budew evolved into Roselia and Golbat evolved into Crobat. Shout out to Cheryl for giving me the Soothe Bell to make this a lot quicker.

Deciding on not facing off against the 4th gym leader but grabbing team addition no. 4 and 5 I went for the Great Marsh in Pastoria City. This saw me add Skorupi and Croagunk to the team. After having caught them, after quite a while of searching through the Marsh, I returned to finally grab my 4th badge. Crobat easily obliterated Maylene's Fighting type Pokemon.

Back to Pastoria City to face off against the Water typ Gym was as easy as Roselia had the type-advantage for this one. Shortly after meeting up with Cynthia for the first time both Croagunk and Skorupi evolved into Toxicroak and Drapion. Drapion will turn out to be one of the MVPs in this team, but more on this matter later.

Finally being able to grab HM Surf in Celestic Town means I was able to add the last member to my team, Tentacruel. I was able to easily find one, already evolved, on my way to face off against Byron. This time it was Tentacruel and Roserade, which evovled after finding a Shiny Stone on Iron Island.

Finishing the story line around the lakes had me move towards Snowpoint City to get my 7th badge as well. This was the first time Toxicroak was of some importance in my team. After grabbing the 7th badge it was time to finish the main story line before going to mess up Volkner's team. After making my way up Mt. Coronet, Barry helped me beat up the commanders before going into the Distortion World. I have to admit that Cyrus took me quite a few tries. Saving in front of him meant I didn't have to walk all the way up to him again. After some strategising I was finally able to beat him though. This was the second time, after arguably having two not to great Pokemon to face off against Mars, that the game really challenged me. And I have not experienced this in quite some time when playing a Pokemon game.

Finally after having caught Giratina I was able to claim my last badge. This was the last time Toxicroak was key to a Gym battle, as teaching it Earthquake really made a difference.
    Now I could try to finish off this challenge by beating the Elite Four. Moving through Victory Road was fairly simple and it gave my Pokemon some well needed extra experience.

I knew facing off against the Elite Four was not going to be easy. Especially knowing about the fairly bad move pool I had with my Pokemon. So after purchasing some potions and revives I was ready to take on the challenge. Aaron was actually fairly easy to beat, especially since I taught my Drapion how to use Rock Slide. Being quad effective against most of his Pokemon and with the help of Crobat and Toxicroak I was able to move past him and on to Bertha.

Bertha's Ground type Pokemon were sure to prove a challenge for my team. Thankfully I had two super effective Pokemon myself in Roserade and Tentacruel. Thanks to quad effective Grass and Water Type moves and a quad effective Ice Beam for Gliscor I was also able to beat her on my first try.

Now it was time to face off against Flint. Again, this seemed to be a favourable match-up for Tentacruel so he was the one to lead the charge. This battle actually took me a few more challenges as his Houndoom more than once started the fight with Sunny Day weakening my Tentacruels Water-type moves. Unfortunately Houndoom wasn't the biggest challenge. There was still his Infernape. Gladly I had Crobat. And Crobat knew Confuse Ray and Poison Fang as well as Fly. The obvious best strategy here was to hope for some luck. Using Confuse Ray and poisoning Infernape turned out to be a great plan. Seeing as Infernape knows how to use Earthquake this was the biggest hurdle and the rest of his team was quite easily beaten by Tentacruel.

Up next was the Elite four member I feared most, Lucian. This was all due to his Psychic-Type Pokemon being faster and super effective against all of my Pokemon except for one. Drapion. Drapion was not only faster than his Alakazam, but also bulky enough to eat most of the specially effective moves of most of his Pokemon. The only thing that proved to be difficult was his Mr. Mime setting up Reflect on it. I had an answer for this though. Gengar knew how to use Dark Pulse and it was able to cause flinching. This meant I was able to cause Mr. Mime to flinch first and then finish it off using STAB super effective Shadow Ball. Drapion's only other real issue was Bronzong. There was not a single Pokemon on my team, that was able to easily beat this Pokemon, so I went for the cheapest thing I could think of. Gengar was able to use Destiny Bond on it, thanks to being way faster and removed it from the battle. Drapion then took care of the rest of Lucian's team, for me to finally be able to move on to Cynthia.

Oh Cynthia. How overpowered you are in these games. I tried everything to beat her by usual means, but there was just no chance, with my Pokemon at the levels they were. At this point they were all at Lvl. 49 at best and didn't stand a chance. Especially not against her massively overpowered Garchomp. There was only way to beat her. And that was to level up my Pokemon. So after grinding some trainers with the Vs. Seeker I challenged the Elite Four again. The first four members sure were easier this time around. But then there was her again. My first attempt consisted of Drapion leading the charge against her Spiritomb as it knew Psychic and setting up on it, using some X-Attacks and X-Speed. But even with 6! X-Attacks it was not able to finish off Garchomp with a single hit. Something else had to be done. And then I noticed that Gengar was faster than all of her Pokemon. So I took the cheapest attempt ever to finally finish this challenge and just Destiny Bonded her whole team...

I know a very anti-climatic finish in the end. But I was able to do it and enter the Hall of Fame.
    My team in the end looked like this:

Drapion: Lvl. 54
    Toxicroak: Lvl. 50
    Roserade: Lvl. 51
    Gengar: Lvl. 53
    Crobat: Lvl. 54
    Tentacruel: Lvl. 53

You can tell by the level differences that when going for the grinding I ignored Toxicroak and Roserade as I noticed that they don't play a big role in beating the Elite Four at all. Especially Toxicroak was absolutely useless against the Elite Four. Looking at this challenge I would probably opt for Skuntank instead of it, if I were to do this again. His Dark typing gives you an alternative to Drapion should it faint and it also has access to Flamethrower which helps with Pokemon like Scizor as well as Bronzong.

Since I was not happy with the way I beat the Elite Four, even though I did manage to do it, I decided to go for the optional challenge end as well. Moving towards Stark Mountain I knew there was only three Pokemon that did great against the Elite Four so I focused on leveling them up. This meant Drapion, Tentacruel and Gengar were the ones that needed all the experience. Finishing the Stark Mountain storyline was actually not too hard. Thankyfully I was only missing the Lake trio, Manaphy and a Tentacool from my Pokedex before being able to face this challenge. I decided that this time, before facing the Elite Four I was going to teach my Pokemon the best moves for the types of Pokemon I was facing.

Again most of the heavy lifting was done by Drapion as well as Tentacruel. Gengar was able to help out here and there.
    For Aaron, Drapion was now able to use Fire Fang. Being almost Lvl. 70 when starting off it was fairly easy to beat him.
    Bertha, she was not able to withstand Gengar's quad effective Energy Balls and when he ultimately fainted Tentacruel took care of the rest of her Pokemon.
    Flint, his Houndoom just was not strong enough to finish off Tentacruel fast enough so after using two X-Special Attack and an X-Speed Tentacruel swept his whole team.
    Lucian, Drapion was able to easily set up on his Mr. Mime. Again going for an X-Speed and some X-Attack he swept his whole team. Bronzong was not a challenge for him this time, since I taught it Firefang.
    Cynthia, Finally, the rematch against Cynthia. The first time around this was giving me a real challenge. This time though, my Drapion had reached Lvl. 70 and had an amazing moveset for her team. I went for the save setup against her Spiritomb and used an X-Speed as well as 6 X-Attack. Drapion was also equipped with a Life-Orb, just to be sure.
    With this his Crunch decimated her Spiritomb, Ice Fang finished off Garchomp, Crunch finished off Milotic, Ice Fang was great against Togekiss, Fire Fang worked wonders against Lucario and in the end it was only Roserade which fell to another Fire Fang. This time on my first try I steamrolled Cynthia and finished the challenge for good.

The team that beat her in the end was:

Drapion Lvl 70 - Ice Fang / Fire Fang / Crunch / Cross Poison
    Tentacruel Lvl 65 - Hydro Pump / Surf / Waterfall / Ice Beam
    Toxicroak - Who cares, he was useless for this part of the game
    Roserade - Same as Toxicroak
    Gengar - Lvl 58 - Thunderbolt / Energyball / Shadow Ball / Dark Pulse
    Crobat - Lvl 54 - Fly / Bite / Poison Fang / Confuse Ray

I apologise for the pictures being in German, unfortunately you cannot choose the language in this generation.
    This was a lot more than I wanted to write but I quite enjoyed it and I think I might open a thread for my journeys through these challenges to go into more detail.
    Unfortunately I am not yet able to post the pictures of the Hall of Fame entry I took. But I will make sure to update this at a later point.

So finally, Pokemon Platinum and therefore the Sinnoh region can be crossed off the list. Next up is the Poison mono run in the Galar region.

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2021
    Forum User Name: SamHershy
    Game(s): Fire Red Omega, Sacred Gold, Theta Emerald EX, Renegade Platinum, Blaze Black 2, X, Ultra Moon
    Pokémon Type: Normal
    Single/Ultimate:Ultimate

For even more of a challenge I am putting a few rules in place for myself
    1. I must use the regions basic Bird When applicable
    2. I am going to play with ROM hacks, like Fire Red Omega (excluding 3DS games)
    3.No Healing in Battles
    4. Battle style to set
    5. Try to only use the regions Pokemon, to keep things fresh.
    6. Complete Alternate ending for each game
    7. Update after every 2 badges

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2021
    Fire Red Omega
    Update 1
    -Chose Elekid as my starter
    -Completed Prof. Oaks errands
    -Caught Pidgey (Dan) and a Rattata(Shu) on route 1
    -breezed through route 2 and Viridian Forest
    -Got to Pewter city, i knew the gym was going to be rough because of the type matchup but i still went in with my level 13's
    -Got swept to the gym trainers Aron
    -Relized my mistake and leveled my team till 20
    -With Dan and Shu evolved i was able to beat out that stupid aron
    -When it came time for Brock I was nervous, not knowing what to expect, all i know is that hell have a team of 6.
    i was able to beat his team with my over leveled team, until onyx came out, i switched into Dan trying to sand attack his onyx, but i switched in on a crit rock tomb, so all that was left was Shu at half health, Dan got him down to half health before another crit rock tomb got him to 4 HP, and He dished his own crit hyper fang to beat Brock, 1 badge down
    -I swept through trainers on the next route
    - Mount moon i caught a clefairy (Inory)
    -beat team rocket, and taught Inory mega punch
    - Cleared nugget bridge and my rival Gary
    -I went into misty thinking it was going to be a breaze, my team was slightly overleveled at 27.
    - her second to last gym trainer had a corsola, that battle took about 10 minutes with the helpful speed up. it got max defense with harden, and it had recover
    -after that annoying battle it was time for misty, lost 3 times in a row with her starmie knowing thunderwave and waterpulse. Parifusion knocked all my mons out 3 times
    - I had enough and grinded till level 30, her Starmie haxed me down too just Inory, my newest member. Boy did she come through, landed a sing through Parifusion, and knocked starmie out with 2 mega punched
    -Taught Water pulse to Inory
    -2 down 6 to go
    Team
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • Ultimate Dragon Monotype in Pokémon Y

The Monotype Challenge Re:Returns

FINAL PART

I'm here with another update after who knows long. I swear I'll finish Alola portion before Christmas.

Anyway, Kalos was surprisingly hard. Or like annoying more than hard. I had only Axew and Bagon in early game. They are both pretty weak and squishy, so leveling them was pretty annoying. It got better with Tyrunt, but I still had to use unusual strategies to win some battles - like using Charm against Grant's Tyrunt to be able to beat it.

Early game was especially painful since there are Fairy-types everywhere in Kalos. But once Axew, Bagon and newly obtained Gible evolved, it got a little bit easier. I think it was around Team Flare subplot, when my dragons got to their final stages and steamrolled everything. Even Lysandre's Mega Gyarados had no chance.

At this point I kinda forgot that there are more Dragon-types after Noibat, so I picked the team from dragons available to that point. I wanted to use all Gen VI dragons, so Goodra, Dragalge, Noivern and Tyrantrum were all on the team. I then went with Garchomp, because it slowly grew on me and Salamance, because I thought there are no Altaria in Kalos.

As for a E4, the battles were pretty okay. I should have learn some Fire-type moves though. They would make it even easier. The only real threat to my team was Diantha's Gardevoir, who survived Toxic poisoning twice and then I only beat her thanks to Noivern's Tailwind boosting my team's speed.

And here's Hall of Fame:

So, Alola is last and once again, I'll have opportunity to use full team of Pokémon. I'll once again use Gen VII Dragon-types, so Alolan Exeggutor, Kommo-O and Drampa (since I'll probably play it in Ultra Moon) and then I'll use some good old dragons. I think I'll use Kingdra and Noivern again. Oh and are Ultra Beasts allowed? Since there are few Dragon-types among them and I would love to try them.

Team

Drakena, Naughty Female Salamence
    lvl 69, Intimidate @Draco Plate
    - Dragon Claw
    - Crunch
    - Fly
    - Zen Headbutt

Slasher, Sassy Male Garchomp
    lvl 68, Sand Veil @Dragon Fang
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Crunch
    - Brick Break

Gooey, Timid Male Goodra
    lvl 67, Sap Sipper @Splash Plate
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Outrage
    - Aqua Tail
    - Power Whip

Winger, Careful Male Noivern
    lvl 65, Infiltrator @Sharp Beak
    - Air Slash
    - Tailwind
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Boomburst

Poi, Mild Male Dragalge
    lvl 68, Poison Point @Poison Barb
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Toxic
    - Hydro Pump
    - Dragon Pulse

King, Timid Male Tyrantrum
    lvl 57, Strong Jaw @Soft Sand
    - Dragon Claw
    - Crunch
    - Head Smash
    - Earthquake​

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hey, all, it's been a while. I picked up a new role as a Staff Composer, Arranger, and Orchestrator for a local community orchestra, and we're going to be doing some video game music. I was in a rush from November through April to try and get that music ready, and then the lovely stuff happening around the world took shape. Unfortunately, this means that although I tried to find time, I eventually became so focused on all that work that I did not have a chance to keep working on this. However, I picked it back up today and sort of condensed my notes about what I had previously done (which was Absorb the heck out of Roxanne's mons and then Gust the heck out of Brawly's...so, super cheese).

But here's where I am and where I'm going.

I do remember it taking a number of attempts to finally beat Roxanne, but I eventually did. It all came down to Absorb. And Absorb. I do remember struggling for quite some time, trying all sorts of different things to avoid using Absorb.

As for Brawly? It basically ended up being the same thing, but with Gust. It's incredibly cheesy to just use the one 'mon, but unfortunately, I wasn't well trained up with my Nincada. And Gust is good against them. I remember fighting

That's basically where I stopped, after being ready to head north from Slateport towards my third gym battle. Unfortunately, May was ticking me off, as her Slugma kept using Ember and knocking out both of my 'mons.

Today, I picked the game back up and decided to see where I had left off. I'd recently got my wife interested in monotype - she's running Steel on Gen8 while I'm joining her by running Fairy. It was something to do, so I pulled this game back out and figured now was the best time to pick back up on the Ultimate Monotype I had started.

I gave May a shot and wiped. Went back and spammed Gust...and that worked on the third time. Yay. Made the rest of my way through the route and into Mauville. Wally is a pushover with just the one Psychic type Pokemon when you have all Bug types. Even if Leech Life sucks. (Not an intended pun.)

As a result of the battle with Wally, I was sitting at around 4h30m for time. But, in greater news, Nincada evolved, and that gave me both the Ninjask and the Shedinja. Party was finally up to 3. And it was at the point that I remembered the remaining two I can catch are just outside of town. I caught the Illumise easily enough, but unfortunately the 1% Volbeat (I'm on Emerald, keep in mind) took over an hour to spawn. I'm now at about 6h10m for play time.

I need to do some leveling, because I know this is going to suck. In Emerald, Wattson has four Pokemon. Three are straight Electric, but one is Electric/Steel (albeit without a Steel move). His Voltorb is the only one that can hit my Shedinja due to it knowing Rollout. Every other move known by his Pokemon is either Electric or Normal.

- For my Volbeat, I'm thinking about getting it to level 25, because it will learn Signal Beam. 75 base is nice.
    - For my Illumise...I dunno. It's a very crap Pokemon. No Bug moves whatsoever. This one is probably going to be my most random Pokemon that gets the crappy TMs thrown at it.
    - I'm not worried about my Shedinja - it already knows Fury Cutter, which is OP as hell.
    - Ninjask is similar to Shedinja. It's ready to go for now. Swords Dance at 25 would be nice.
    - With my Beautifly currently sitting at 23, I could level it up one more time to get Mega Drain, and replace Absorb.

Likely end goal is everyone at 25 before fighting Wattson. Not necessarily a bad idea, as his levels are 20/20/22/24.

Based on base stats alone, Volbeat and Illumise are my tankers (75 def and 85 spdef). The rest are attackers. But while I don't anticipate any trouble here with Wattson, I believe Flannery is next. Yay Fire Gym. Looking ahead to that, Dig is available just outside Fallarbor Town, and both Ninjask and Shedinja can learn it. It would be better to have on Ninjask, as it has much higher speed. Ninjask's base speed is 160. That's insane, as my next highest are Volbeat/Illumise at 85.

Here's what my team currently looks like. Please ignore the listing of Fairy type - I'm just too lazy to go in and program a way for it to recognize what type it was before it changed. Hint: Charm and Moonlight were both Normal.

Aim for tonight: Grind and then challenge Wattson.

Sorvete

Novice
    Years
  • Ultimate Poison Monotype
    Fire Red | Storm Silver | Omega Ruby | Renegade Platinum | Black 2 | X | Ultra Moon

I finally decided to continue this challenge, woo! Since I started with Ultra Moon, I'm not really preoccupied with doing these in regional order, so I just started X instead.

The start of this run was rough. The only Poison-type available before the first gym was Weedle, and it isn't an amazing Pokémon... I had to basically solo win with Beedrill until after Santalune.

Grinding Weedle was a pain. I was only able to KO a few mons like Scatterbug and Pansage at the forest, and it doesn't help that Weedle's only attacking move is Poison Sting. Once Weedle finally evolved into Kakuna, I had a better chance at surviving hits, but the lack of moves situation wasn't solved. Thankfully by level 10 it was already fully evolved, and hopefully able to take the gym by itself.

Surskit was easy to take out with Fury Attack, but Vivillon was surprisingly tanky. Setting up a Focus Energy helped to get some Fury Attack crits, and thankfully the bug didn't want to use Infestation at any point. Soloing the gym with Beedrill had worked!

After the gym, I was able to progress and get more team members, such as Bulbasaur, Venipede and Zubat. I still had some struggles in this bit, with one of the biggest threats being Flying-types. Grant was also a pretty tough battle, mainly because of the Amaura. I had to teach Ivysaur Nature Power (which turned into Power Gem), use it on the first turn, then do a sacrificial switch to Zubat and heal Ivysaur, so I could use another Nature Power and knock it out. It was a mess. Tyrunt was also kind of annoying with the flinches.

Once I finally got past that gym, and battled Korrina with her two Lucarios (which were also problematic to take out) I caught Stunky and Nidorino to finish my team. Got past Reflection Cave and reached Shalour, where I leveled up Nidoking and Stunky to be on pair with the rest of the team and progress. By this point, most of my team was already fully evolved and balanced, meaning fights got a lot better to deal with. I swapped Beedrill out later for Tentacool since I had a better Bug/Poison and needed a Water-type.

The struggle I had seemed to disappear and the rest of the game looked a lot better to deal with. Olympia was pretty threatening but I had Skuntank to deal with her. Wikstrom also seemed a pain to deal with but thankfully Nidoking with Earthquake decimated his team with the help of a flamethrowing Skuntank. Nidoking also took out three of Diantha's Pokémon, while Crobat handled Hawlucha and Scolipede handled Gourgeist and finished the battle with a Poison Jab on Gardevoir.

Spoiler:

Team

Venusaur (Sappo) | Nature: Lax | Overgrow
    Moves: Energy Ball, Sludge Bomb, Leech Seed, Toxic
    Lv. 65 @ Venusaurite

Scolipede (Larva) | Nature: Brave | Swarm
    Moves: Poison Jab, Megahorn, Swords Dance, Rock Slide
    Lv. 66 @ Poison Barb

Crobat (Marcelo) | Nature: Hardy | Inner Focus
    Moves: Acrobatics, Fly, Cross Poison, X-Scissor
    Lv. 66

Nidoking (Stronk) | Nature: Adamant | Rivalry
    Moves: Poison Jab, Earthquake, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt
    Lv. 66 @ Metronome

Skuntank (Jake) | Nature: Hardy | Aftermath
    Moves: Night Slash, Poison Jab, Hone Claws, Flamethrower
    Lv. 66 @ Black Sludge

Tentacruel (De Vil) | Nature: Relaxed | Liquid Ooze
    Moves: Waterfall, Poison Jab, Swords Dance, Ice Beam
    Lv. 64 @ Wave Incense

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 30, 2020
    A long time ago I had started a Pokemon Red Normal monotype challenge, but I but things down for a LONG while I now look forward to picking things back up again. Here is my current progress.

I have the Boulder Badge and have cleared Route 3 of trainers. My Pidgey and Rattata are both level 14. I have also captured two Spearows (I plan to trade one for a Farfetch'd later) and a Jigglypuff.

side note: Could someone give a clue on how to insert those pictures of pokemon, or symbols for the types? I would really appreciate it?

ShyRayq

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    A long time ago I had started a Pokemon Red Normal monotype challenge, but I but things down for a LONG while I now look forward to picking things back up again. Here is my current progress.

I have the Boulder Badge and have cleared Route 3 of trainers. My Pidgey and Rattata are both level 14. I have also captured two Spearows (I plan to trade one for a Farfetch'd later) and a Jigglypuff.

side note: Could someone give a clue on how to insert those pictures of pokemon, or symbols for the types? I would really appreciate it?

You can upload images to imgur with a free account or just use an image already on the internet.
    Then, simply just type in
    . No spaces between the 3 portions.
    Like so:

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Went after Wattson the other day. For a bug run, it's relatively a challenge. I very quickly realized Voltorb wasn't the only one to be able to knock out Shedinja; Magneton knows Supersonic. I learned that the hard way as I tried to set up Fury Cutter and instead knocked myself out due to confusion.

A few tries later, I was in a pattern. Voltorb first (knocked out with Signal Beam from Volbeat), and then Electrike. I switched to Shedinja and just spammed Double Team to get my evasion as high I could in the hopes it would make it near impossible for Supersonic to hit me. Electrike used Leer a few times, and one use of Howl. Yay. Like Leer is going to make a difference when you have 1 HP. Fury Cutter time. I just kept using it. Got me through Electrike, and out comes Magneton. I got hit by a Thunder Wave (which landed), and then two Supersonics were attempted. Both failed. I had to restart Fury Cutter at the end due to Paralysis, but I was able to use a mixture of that and Fury Swipes to win.

The next goal is to get to Flannery. I've tried to train, picking up the Macho Brace to just let my effort values build up over time to increase the chance of survivability (I'm not planning to go out of my way to get the best effort value setup). Slowly working on getting ready for the yuck of Fire gym when being a bug trainer. I do have Dig and will be planning on using it on Ninjask in the hopes that gets me through. Thankfully, I believe most of my Pokemon are faster than Flannery's.

I would go grab Anorith now...but I can't because I can't get the Goggles until after beating Flannery.

Yay.

Next stop is: Mt. Chimney.

Current Status:

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2022
    Hi! I'm new to the whole monotype challenge, and I have a few questions. What do you mean by "monotypes can't be stacked in a single run"? Also what does "Elite-Four viable" mean? Also for the Ultimate Challenger runs, am I allowed to do multiple of those for different types? I will deeply appreciate a response.

ShyRayq

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hi! I'm new to the whole monotype challenge, and I have a few questions. What do you mean by "monotypes can't be stacked in a single run"? Also what does "Elite-Four viable" mean? Also for the Ultimate Challenger runs, am I allowed to do multiple of those for different types? I will deeply appreciate a response.

1. Stacking means doing 2 monotypes at once. So you can't have a team of Pidgeot, Fearow, Dodrio and Farfetch'd and say you completed a Flying and a Normal monotype challenge at once. I mean, technically you did, but for this challenge thread, it only counts as one.

2. Elite Four viable means levelled up and trained. You can't have a Lvl90 Blastoise and a Lvl5 Magikarp and say you did a Water monotype challenge. You need at least 2 pokemon that can take on the Elite Four, like Blastoise and Gyarados of a decent level.

3. Yes, you can do as many challenges as you'd like.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2022
    Forum User Name: arucker101
    Game(s): Pokemon LeafGreen, SoulSilver, AlphaSapphire, Platinum, White, White 2, X, Moon, Ultra Moon, Sword
    Pokemon Type: Normal

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
    Years
  • Well, without ever looking at the list and rules...I've beaten OR, S, and UM with Dragon Monotype, working my way near the end of X, but again I didn't actually prepare or anything and always used megas like Ampharos and Charizard and Sceptile lol. So I lose anyway.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back