• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Newer Pokémon Games are not as good.

Adlais

Adlais ^_^
Years
  • I think that the newer Pokémon games are not as good because it's not pixelated, the battles are more realistic. For me I take Pokémon as a cassic game. I want your opinion on this.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Like I said before... topics that fit into other sections don't need to be in Pokémon General. So I'll "move" this thread to Pokémon Gaming Central now, since you are talking about a comparison between new and old games. Games.

-moved

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • My opinion is stated in the PGC splash.

"Whatever generation, we should all just learn to get along and love Pokemon, regardless."

If you really don't like the newer games, don't play them. No one is forcing you to. You're free to pick up your brick and play Red all day long if you please, and there's nothing wrong with that!

Outlier

I think that the newer Pokémon games are not as good because it's not pixelated, the battles are more realistic. For me I take Pokémon as a cassic game. I want your opinion on this.

Your reasons for the newer games not being as good seem sarcastic. I do think the first two generations set a gold standard that none of the games following it have managed to reach again. I still play the new games though and I'm satisfied for the most part.

Years
  • If you really don't like the newer games, don't play them. No one is forcing you to. You're free to pick up your brick and play Red all day long if you please, and there's nothing wrong with that!

As Syd here said, if you don't like newer generations then just don't play them. But personally I do think the newer generations are really great, I mean look at the awesome graphics in X and Y. You seriously can't hate that.

I'd still recommend giving the newer games a try when you can, it's always good to try new things!

Years
  • I think that the newer Pokémon games are not as good because it's not pixelated, the battles are more realistic. For me I take Pokémon as a cassic game. I want your opinion on this.

Yunno, I actually feel the same way with you. I haven't played X or Y yet, but I am already missing the pixels. How am I going play around with sprites now there aren't any left? I can use paint, but heaven knows if I can manipulate 3D graphics :( The pixels and the tediousness made Pokemon classic and I'm a bit sad to let it go :P

Terff

the unimportant
    Years
  • Yunno, I actually feel the same way with you. I haven't played X or Y yet, but I am already missing the pixels.
    The lack of sprites was one thing that drove me away from the new games (and the darn fairy type! CURSES!!), I always loved the sprites but I guess I can live without them, meh, it's still pokemon :I

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I, for one, enjoy the newer games. While I only started with R/S/E, I've enjoyed the progress that Game Freak made with the games' graphics over the past three generations.

While I miss the sprites, as well as the original cries of the pre-Gen VI Pokemon, X/Y show how far Game Freak has come with the Pokemon games.

TheCollector

Merely a collector
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2014
    I think the newer games tries too hard. However they still manage to make me interested in playing them and I must say I really enjoy the newer ones. I loved the concept of the Black & White where you could only play with the new additions of Pokémon until you beat the Elite Four. I haven't had time to digest all the impressions from X & Y to make a review of what i thought.

Years
  • I honestly don't mind any of the games. Although I miss the sprites and the tediousness of the game, its still Pokémon. Until Gamefreak makes into a completely different game, I'll keep playing them and I'll be satisfied.

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2014
    The biggest issue with the newer games is by far the crap pokemon they have inserted which lack creativity. I haven't played gen 6, but gen 5 was very well made once you get past the fact the newer pokemon sucked. In the older versions there was always dumb pokemon, but not at the level these newer games (gen 4-6) have had.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2013
    The biggest issue with the newer games is by far the crap pokemon they have inserted which lack creativity. I haven't played gen 6, but gen 5 was very well made once you get past the fact the newer pokemon sucked. In the older versions there was always dumb pokemon, but not at the level these newer games (gen 4-6) have had.

I agree. Personally gen 5 and 6 pokemon are nothing special. Gen 6 by far has the worst set of pokemon to date. I can't really explain it, maybe I'm so into the gen 1 pokemon, any other gens don't appeal to me. Saying that I do like gens 2-4.

Out of the three current starters I can't decide which one to pick. Chespins final evolution just looks plain wrong, Fenekins final is basically a fox with a dress, only Gerninja looks pretty decent and they make it so its tongue is its scarf?

I got pokemon x today, haven't played it yet but watching youtube vids of pokemon x and y gameplay I was really impressed. Its like pokemon stadium/coliseum, but handheld.

I think they made up for the gen 6 starters by giving us the option to choose a gen 1 pokemon early on. Welcome back Charmander in all your fiery orange 3d glory.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Nooooooostaaaaaaaaaaaaalgiaaaaaa googles!

Thats what it sounds like to me. I also find it laughable when people say stuff like "the newer pokemon designs aren't as good/lack creativity". People, we had a freakin' pile of sludge and a seal with one letter in its name changed back in Gen 1. Whether you like it or not, every single generation of Pokemon has had both good AND bad Pokemon designs.

And just because something's "classic" doesn't mean that all future entries have to be exactly the same as the original. Where's the fun in that?

I've been playing since the days of Red/Blue/Yellow, and I wouldn't ever want to go back to Gen 1 or Gen 2 anymore (espeically considering they have remakes that are better). Gen 1 was just really unrefined when you look at it. Total lack of balance.

But hey, if you aint into the newer stuff, that's fine too. People are entitled to their opinions....most of the time.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I personally love all the main Pokemon games, from RBY to XY. But if you prefer the pixilated graphics of the older games, just stick with them. Don't feel like playing them? Try some ROM hacks based on them, like Pokemon Brown and Prism by Coolboyman, Pokemon Bronze by Freako, and anything made by Miksy91.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2015
    The newer Pokémon games can be just as ******, unoriginal and unashamedly franchise cowing as Nintendo/Gamefreak want it to be. But it would be nice to have something for the PC that turned to more senior Pokémon fans like myself. Since there are copyright laws and Nintendo doesn't seem to be interested, all that really exists are fan-made hacks and the like. Which isn't ideal.

Jet Pilot

I killed Spiderman.
    Years
  • All gens have their perks, however I'm a huge fan of Gen I. Mainly because Alakazam was even more of a powerhouse than he is now. All gens have their perks, gen 5 for the graphics, 4 for plot, 3 for originality. Gen II was great in every aspect to me.

Back