• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Event] The PokeCommunity Game-Along

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Ooh, retro, hmm...

I think I will finally give Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga a shot. It's for GBA, so it should be old enough to count. :)

pkmin3033

First post updated. I'm glad to see y'all participating for the second month, so thank you for that ^^

To those who didn't complete last month, or newcomers - you can still take part in February's if you'd like to!

As for me...I am probably going to regret this, because I have not enjoyed it very much, but my game this month is going to be Secret of Mana, from the Mana Collection on Switch. There is every possibility I will change that to something more enjoyable before the end of the month if it keeps on throwing stunlocks at me, though =/

Last edited:

WizardOfOdd

Kirbmeister
    Years
    THE POKE-COMMUNITY GAME ALONG - FEBRUARY - RETRO THEME
    DIGIMON WORLD 1: THE (MIS)ADVENTURES OF HERB
    Chapter 1 - Enter The Digital World
    The PokeCommunity Game-Along

So apparently I was not so lazy so I can write a game log for this month's game. So before we start the chapter log. I would like to give a few... Uh... What do you call it? Well let's say I'm just going to lay out some groundwork before the chapter log begins with few points.
    1. I Love Digimon so much Not as much as Pokemon but still, this one is literally one of the first games I ever played. So a lot of fond memories here.
    2. Believe it or not, it took me until 6th grade until I beat this, yeah I was a dummy. I had this game since I'm four and never managed to beat it until then.
    3. This game is probably one of, if not the most grindiest in the entire series. If those reading this is doesn't understand the premise, basically Digimon here can die of old age and revert to an egg. While the technique learned is kept if it wasn't a forced revert (Back to baby form due to losing thrice in a battle). You still had to retrain your baby Digimon, basically, it's a race to upgrade the facilities available to you in order to maximize the abilities of your Digimon... Well until it died and reborn, and do it again, and again until you beat the final boss. Oh yeah, also your Digimon can just not evolve to the highest stage (ultimate at the time) and go straight to the reborn process if the stats are not enough, well... It happens to me countless times.
    4. Now, usually this isn't bad when you have a guide to help you. However, this time I'm replaying this blind. Last time I played until the finish was 4 years ago, and besides major plotlines, I forgot about most items, where to recruit certain Digimon for the city, stat requirements to evolve, etc. I even forgot how to get to certain places... So this is going to be fun.
    5. Also here's a map of the Island to understand better when I said certain things.
    Spoiler:

So Without further ado, let's begin the log.

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Fleurdelis

Gunbreaker addict
    Years
    Update: gone through the first 10 missions of the GDI campaign (the "good" guys), spamming mechs everytime I could, although I had to restart a few times due to being too cocky even against the AI

note to self i cant defeat the enemy with only 5 walkers....... need at least 40 of the buggers

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years

February Progress #1
    Theme: Retro
    Game: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
    Original Console: Gameboy Advance
    Playing on: Emulator for Android

Since I am not showing up the next day having beaten my game of choice, I figured I'd make my update posts a lil fancier this month. So I stole some css I wrote for an older thread to repurpose for this. 8)

And the reason I'm not showing up immediately with a beaten game is that wow, I'm not good at this game!!! I think part of it is that I've chosen to do this on an emulator, since I'm not even sure where my copy of the game is or whether I have a console that could reliably play it anymore. Not having concrete buttons for a game that's very... particular about buttons... is kind of a detriment. But I'll just say it's on hard mode and power on through. Worst case I might swap to an emulator on my computer to play since at least keyboard buttons are... a little more tactile. We'll see how it goes. :thinkrim:

Anyway! Aside from being terrible at it, the game is fun so far. I'm really enjoying the spritework. It's not super detailed or anything, but it's bright and colourful and the animations are great. I'm glad I'm playing this version and not the pseudo-3D version of the remake. It looks fine but it just doesn't have the same... zest that this one does? There's something about sprite games from this and the DS era that just feels great as you play. I love it. So far I've gotten through the first few levels—Stardust Field, Hoohoo Mountain, and I'm heading out to Chucklehuck Forest now to get something to rescue the queen (and oof, definitely tried to type something else there).

I'm making pretty good progress, but I have a library book to finish before the end of the week so I'll probably prioritize that challenge more at the start of the month. And I'm still head-deep in Kingdom Hearts obsession so I'll definitely still be playing that series more than anything else for a while.

Rynamite

Teaghlaigh, Dílseacht, Misneach
    Years
    Super Mario World Progress
    Super Nintendo Entertainment Simulator - Nintendo Switch Port
    Release Date August 23, 1991

Hey guys it's Rynamite! Here to bring you an update on the adventures in a very retro game!

• I have completed 21 levels so far!
    • I have defeated both Iggy from Castle 1 and Morton from Castle 2
    • I have activated the Yellow, Red and Green Block switches to advance further.
    • I have explored the secret pathway on Donut Plains, including the secret area behind Boo House 1
    • I have also encountered Star Road already and completed half of it.
    • Slowly working through Vanilla Dome, however I want to go both routes. (Castle 3 and the Fortress in the secret area)

Stayed tuned for more ;)

Last edited:
    Years

THE POKECOMMUNITY GAME-ALONG - Super Mario 64

PART 1

So I never played this game and well... never played any 3D Mario games. I'm write this while playing, so you'll get my very first impression. I know almost nothing about this game, so this will be fun blind run.

Start of the game is pretty quick. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this was too quick for my taste. Like at one moment I'm excited to eat cake with Princess Peach and then out of nowhere I have to save the kingdom.

So after getting used to controls and exploring the castle, I went inside the first level - Bob-omb Battlefield and... it hit me how beautiful this game is. The atmosphere is unbelievable. I was expecting more narrow design for the levels like in Crash Bandicoot, but I'm glad they look more like in Spyro series. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what is the deal with the pink bomb marks on the ground and some blocks, but as I learned few minutes later, they were there for another stars. I made it to the top of the mountain and spent too much time figuring out how to beat Big Bob-omb. I tried attacking it, jumping on it and then randomly grabbed it and beat it.

I returned to the level and was surprised to see Koopa, who challenged me to race, which I won pretty easily. With the next return, I figured out how levels and stars work in this game. I later learned there are 6 stars in each level and I decided to get all of them. I got another star for collecting 8 red coins and moved to other level.

Whomp's Fortress' first run was pretty easy. I quickly got to The Whomp King and beat him with easy. Returning to the level I got 2nd star exactly how star's name said. Just by getting up. I then tried to get the caged star, but couldn't jump inside, so I moved to the red coins star, but got interrupted when I discovered cannon ball and another star.

And that's all for now. I really enjoy the game so far and so far I'm determinated to finish it on 100%.

Years
    I...actually want to do this. Well the main point of this post is to wish everyone the best of luck with their challenge, but with my surviving N64 just sitting there in my room, I....might want to do this. I'm still very on the fence on whether I want to do this challenge or wait for next month's theme. I will think about it more. To the current challengers, good luck.

Rynamite

Years
    I...actually want to do this. Well the main point of this post is to wish everyone the best of luck with their challenge, but with my surviving N64 just sitting there in my room, I....might want to do this. I'm still very on the fence on whether I want to do this challenge or wait for next month's theme. I will think about it more. To the current challengers, good luck.

It's just...just sitting there? Oh the humanity! >:

Chespin of Light! It begs to be back in the spotlight, to be played in the modern era. If you did it this month at least you'll have a range of games to play :)

*I'll update here shortly about my progress.

PROGRESS CHECK

Hello everyone! Last time I talked on here related to the game I was playing I made a bit of progress. Well... I guess I forgot to save :D There is a saving mechanic after beating a castle (Ghost house I think), and a switch place. Since the last save was the red switch I had to redo a few levels ;; I haven't done the Yoshi Jump Sacrifice... Be proud -_- !

Anyway's here is the list between the last post and this one :)​
    • 38 Levels Complete!
    • Vanilla Dome Star Road now open :D
    • Vanilla Dome both the normal path and secret path done!
    • Defeated Lemmy at Castle 3
    • Defeated Ludwig at Castle 4
    • From World 3 to World 4 I have both the Cheese Bridge (Normal Route) completed and Butter Bridge (Secret Route)

Last edited:
    Years
    The great Sebulba has reigned supreme, conquering every Amateur Circuit course in first place and is ready to move on to the Semi-Pros.

This puts me about 1/4 of the way through.

Rynamite

Years
    GAME COMPLETE

Statistics

96/96 Levels Complete
    Star Road Main Path - Complete
    Special Star Road Course - Untouched
    Final Castle - Both Entrances Unlocked
    *** Due to the earlier then anticipated end time I will attempt to beat all 96 levels , which means, taking on one of the hardest levels in gaming history according to IGN. But make no mistake PC gamers. I BEAT IT >:D ***

*** EDIT 2: 30 Minutes later and I defeated and conquered all 96 levels >;) Including the extra hard star special levels! YAAAAAA!

Final Thoughts

This was an absolute "Retro" gem of a mainstream game. Some of the levels I hated as a kid and still do today. There were some frustrating moments let me tell you... Trying to clear Bowser Valley Fortress was a nightmare (Last level before rear door) I took almost 30 minutes to clear it losing about 20 lives because I couldn't nail the last leg of the level which was all time based spikes from the ceiling at an alarming rate and from the ground. I cheered loudly when I beat the boss at that Fortress. Beating Bowser was a one shot attempt surprisingly. The moment of satisfaction was getting the main ring of Star Road done as some of those levels were unique. Beating said level regularly was not a pass, you had to find the secret exit just like some of the Boo levels and multi-ending levels.​

PROOF - Pictures are a bit big sorry :x
    (Thank you Screen, Credits Screen and then all levels complete screen​
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    As of now, I have completed the semi-pro circuit and have moved on to whatever the next one is called. Truth be told though, I'm starting to have a lot of trouble on this round of courses compared to the earlier ones. My eyes are not nearly as good as they were last time I played and that in combination with Nintendo 64 graphics, high speeds and complicated, windy courses is making it really hard to keep track of where courses end and things like walls begin. Might end up having to switch games if I can't adjust enough to manage with the harder levels.

Years

THE POKECOMMUNITY GAME-ALONG - Super Mario 64

PART 2

A small warning, this will be pretty chaotic update.

I found secret slide level and finished it pretty easily. I later found out there is another star in this level and I returned here and after another couple of tries got another star. Then a friend of mine tells me about another secret level that unlocks when I look up in the lobby. I did and got to another secret level, which also unlocked Wing Cap.

With it I returned to Bob-omb Battlefield and got all the remaining stars there. I then accidentally walked in new level - Cool, Cool Mountain, instead of Whomp's Fortress and completed another slide. Then I died a couple of times because of the ice and so I decided to go to the Whomp's Fortress and finish all the stars there.

Now I decided to give a try to the level behind Star door and beat Bowser on the very first try with only one throw. After that I noticed a Boo in the castle and followed it to more Boos and another secret level. I got one star there and totally did not get lost. Moving on I got another star form a rabbit in the basement and entered Lethal Lava Land. I got 3 stars there before losing too many lives and deciding to rather go to less hostile areas. I got to the Hazy Maze Cave and after getting lost there, finally got one star in the water area of the level. I returned there and found another secret level that gave me Metal Cap and a star. Then I went in the Shifting Sand Land and got a star from the top of the pyramid. Then once again went and lost couple of lives in this level, so I went looking for more levels and discovered another secret level that gave me Vanish Cap. Finally, I discovered level that I skipped - Jolly Roger Bay and got all 6 stars in it.

Now I'll go to the another star room.

pkmin3033

Not been feeling great over the last few days so I've not had time to post any updates on progress...but now I don't need to post updates, because I'm done. xD

I...did not enjoy this. I'll probably get lynched for saying it, but Secret of Mana has not aged well. The party AI is absolutely atrocious and it sucks all the fun right out of the game when you have to effectively traverse the same ground three times over with each character to get them to go anywhere - and boy, do they LOVE getting stuck in corners and fighting every enemy they see regardless of what I set their tactics to - and magic is just...ridiculously, obscenely broken. After I got magic I literally killed every boss in 4 or 5 hits with spells alone...except for the final boss, which I killed in 11 hits within about 2 minutes. Mhm. It's a very pretty game and I have definitely played worse, but considering teleporting AI was a thing back then in other games, I'm not willing to overlook this as just a sign of the times...I mean, imagine how awful Sonic 2 would have been if you'd had to wait for Tails to get to where you are with every screen.

Glad to put this one behind me.

Lumina

Lucid Melody
    Years
    Due to unforseen computer issues I'm going to need to give up on Half-Life and do something else, so I'll be switching to the PS4 port of FF7. I wanted to get another run in before the remake comes out anyways.

Years
    Well, it wasn't a clean sweep - it definitely was not that - but I have now completed Star Wars: Ep 1 Racer.

Those last few courses are madness and my eyes and brain ache from winding around at ludicrous speeds in crappy n64 graphics but I had a lot of fun breaking out the old n64 and playing one of my childhood favourites.

Long live Sebulba. Never again.

Lumina

Lucid Melody
    Years
    Aaaand that's FF7 cleared, my second completion ever. Now I am truly ready for the remake. I didn't expect it to go so quick but things just ended up going more smoothly than I thought.

Back