• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Event] The PokeCommunity Game-Along

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    The PokeCommunity Game-Along

February Progress #2
    Theme: Retro
    Game: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
    Original Console: Gameboy Advance
    Playing on: Emulator for Android

I've made... a bit of progress! Lost most of the last week to reading, which isn't a bad thing, but it meant I stopped playing for like a week and kind of forgot how to play. I picked it up again today though and finished off the Chucklehuck Woods, though. I fought Bowser, who seems to have amnesia and is running around with some thief and also got some new hammer functions to use in the field. Now I'm sidequesting and preparing to visit a university, I guess?

Most frustratingly, I read a sign that told me that the bonus you can add to a stat each time you level up is better if you switch it up—it's bad if you just do the same one over and over. I've been doing HP since the start of the game because I didn't think you could change the stat! I swear I tried it the very first time I levelled and I couldn't move away from HP so I didn't try again and thought it was kind of a dumb system. T_T I'm doing it properly now but no wonder I'm struggling in battles sometimes. My stats could be so much better...

Years

THE POKÉCOMMUNITY GAME-ALONG - Super Mario 64

FINAL PART

Okay, I finished the game. It was pretty interesting experience. And I totally didn't rage quit and didn't pick the game for a whole week.

I usually stayed in each level as long as I could and got as many stars I could. I was still playing blind, so if I couldn't figure out how to get a star, I skipped it after a while. This way I get all the way to the final level and beat Bowser pretty easily.
    Spoiler:

Then I found out that I can't even save after this battle and that I'll have to get the last star again, after getting previous 119 stars. But there was a problem. I already got 6 stars in almost each level and I was still missing about 30 stars. Simple google search revealed the big secret... There are actually 7 stars in each level! And I skipped the whole Tall, Tall Mountain!

Tall, Tall Mountain was fine level, pretty wide and long. And stars there were pretty hard to get. But not as hard as getting 100 coins in every level. I spent most of my free time of last few days just running around levels and trying to get those pesky coins. But finally...
    Spoiler:

Overall I enjoyed this game. Controls were pretty bad (and even after finishing the game, I still can't fly very well) and it took me a while to get used to the camera, but level design, gameplay and music were on spot. Now I want to play Odyssey.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years

February Progress #3
    Theme: Retro
    Game: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
    Original Console: Gameboy Advance
    Playing on: Emulator for Android

Game Complete!

I don't know where the month went omg. I've been playing most nights for maybe ~10 minutes right before bed, so I wasn't in as much trouble as I could have been but I still had to do two big sections of the game all today, oops. But still, I managed to beat it!

The final dungeon was one of the best final dungeons I've ever had the pleasure of playing. It did a really good job of bringing together all the things you learn over the course of the game. I kinda wish the Koopalings (?) were a bit more unique since you had to fight so many of them during the dungeon, but also... you had to fight so many of them, it would have been exhausting if they were actually challenging, lol. I think by the time I got to the last one I was getting them down in 2-3 turns.

This game was fun but I'm torn. I wish I'd been playing on something other than my phone because wow, tactile buttons would have been a godsend. But also I cheesed a lot of normal encounters with save states by the end, so I'm also really glad that I didn't. Still, a really good game and I wouldn't mind picking up the sequels one day, I think. This is one of the more creative games I've ever played and they did a really good job finding ways to make the dual buttons gimmick interesting all through the game.

Excited for next month! :D

pkmin3033

For the month of March, we're going to put a little spin on things (sorry not sorry) - this month's theme is spin-offs!

For those unaware, a spin-off is broadly defined as something that is derived from existing work that focuses on a different aspect of that work. In video games, that may mean it focuses on a different character or time period of events, or has a different style of gameplay. Quite often spin-off titles will develop into their own series and will have spin-offs of their own - for example, the Persona Q titles are spin-offs of the Persona series, which is in itself a spin-off of the Megami Tensei franchise.

So, you have plenty to choose from! If you're not sure whether the game you have in mind is a spin-off, feel free to post it in here for appraisal. Have fun!

Years
    Spin-offs, hmmm? I'm currently playing Paper Mario: Sticker Star, only got to the 1-6 so far. Can I continue it as part of this event?

pkmin3033

Spin-offs, hmmm? I'm currently playing Paper Mario: Sticker Star, only got to the 1-6 so far. Can I continue it as part of this event?
    You may~

No idea what I'll do for this one ngl.
    Do Mario Kart or Delta Rune count?
    The former yes, I would say the latter no because it isn't complete, and despite a lot of places describing it as a spinoff it isn't actually called such on the official website, so honestly I'm not entirely sure if it is or not!

Pig

Angry ecologist
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    I couldn't finish Alice because I got dragged away from one side of the country to the other away from my PC >:|
    Ah well. I'll just have to try extra hard not to miss another one.

Spin-offs....uhh.

Would the Sims GBA games count?? They're nothing really like the actual Sims, as you follow a story, they're more like RPGs.

pkmin3033

Would the Sims GBA games count?? They're nothing really like the actual Sims, as you follow a story, they're more like RPGs.
    That'd depend on which one you had in mind! If it's a numbered Sims title then no, but if you mean something like Bustin' Out or Castaway, then yes, those would count :3

Pig

Angry ecologist
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    That'd depend on which one you had in mind! If it's a numbered Sims title then no, but if you mean something like Bustin' Out or Castaway, then yes, those would count :3

Yas, thank you! Write me down for Sims Urbz, I just started it, and I HAVE it with me on this trip, so no excuses this month

Years
    You may~

The former yes, I would say the latter no because it isn't complete, and despite a lot of places describing it as a spinoff it isn't actually called such on the official website, so honestly I'm not entirely sure if it is or not!

Put me down for Mario Kart 7 then. I shall essentially merge my previous two games lol

Rynamite

Teaghlaigh, Dílseacht, Misneach
    Years
    Admittedly this one is a bit hard for me since I have a very tight definition of the word (Spin-Offs) relating to gaming so... I'll leave a few titles here and Dawn hopefully you can green light a couple of these.

Fallout New Vegas (Including DLC) If you want to go by the number theory)
    A/C Unity, Syndicate or Odyssey (Similar to the above it doesn't go along the chronological number order)

Problem with me is I have sequels or related topic games that would be deemed canon/the same and not spin off worthy xP I will look thru the Xbox Store if these don't suffice.

pkmin3033

Admittedly this one is a bit hard for me since I have a very tight definition of the word (Spin-Offs) relating to gaming so... I'll leave a few titles here and Dawn hopefully you can green light a couple of these.

Fallout New Vegas (Including DLC) If you want to go by the number theory)
    A/C Unity, Syndicate or Odyssey (Similar to the above it doesn't go along the chronological number order)

Problem with me is I have sequels or related topic games that would be deemed canon/the same and not spin off worthy xP I will look thru the Xbox Store if these don't suffice.
    New Vegas is definitely a spinoff, but the Assassin's Creed games aren't - whilst they dropped the number system with ACIV, they've all had that awful Abstergo narrative tool to tie them together sequentially.

Sequels might be another month

Years
    Update: I have now completed every Grand Prix cup on 50CC. Every time I start playing Mario Kart again I remember why I love it and how much fun it is. That being said, 50CC is way too easy and I'm looking forward to playing through the slightly more challenging difficulty levels.

Rynamite

Teaghlaigh, Dílseacht, Misneach
    Years
    New Vegas is definitely a spinoff, but the Assassin's Creed games aren't - whilst they dropped the number system with ACIV, they've all had that awful Abstergo narrative tool to tie them together sequentially.

Sequels might be another month

Ring-A-Ding-Ding Baby Rynamite is going to Vegas.

Well, both in the game and for real.

Since it is on my Xbox One I will be doing stream coverage :)

Back