• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Event] The PokeCommunity Game-Along

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Good luck!

Would definitely recommend Highway Blossoms anyway if you get the chance or have the inclination - it's one of the better VNs I've read on Steam. Probably because it's fully voiced in English. xD
    Ooh, perfect, the game I'd already played the first 30 minutes of this week and the one I wanted to get the most. Thank you rng!

And yeah, it's been on my list for a while. I started it once but quickly found out it was getting a full voice update and put it down... but then never picked it back up. One day!

Years
    I started my Coma playthrough today.

Spoiler warning, but so far this is what I've done.
    - Met a mysterious rude girl who definitely has no plot significance.
    - Arrived to school to see an ambulance driving off with a guy who tried to kill himself. Good start to the morning.
    - Met the token school bully. Apparently I reported him the previous month and got him like a month of community service. He warned me not to tell the teacher that he'd been tormenting the guy who nearly died.
    - I snitched on him anyway because the thought of him doing more community service amused me. So did the possibility of destroying his future, because Korea.
    - Fell asleep during an exam and woke up at night. Totally normal.
    - Got chased by a psycho with a box cutter. Hid in a toilet stall crying until she went away.
    - Met the rude girl in the cafeteria. To my absolute shock, she seems to know what's going on... but of course won't tell me.
    - Got the key to the security room so I could get the key for the main building. Because nothing says safe like searching for multiple small objects with a killer wandering around.
    - Got to the security room. Found out that the principal was banging the nurse. Got the key. Also accidentally set off an alarm despite the game explicitly warning me not to.
    - Ran into the psycho with the box cutter outside. She slashed me and I ran. I accidentally double clicked on the stairs and went up two flights not one. She caught me in front of a locked door and murdered me.
    - I got the key, remembering not to set off the alarm like a dumbass this time. Psycho bitch was still outside and chased me again. This time I went up the correct number of stairs and made it into the safety of the cafeteria because apparently she can't open doors... I hope she can't anyway.
    - Met a weird guy spouting madness standing on a couch. He informed me that rude girl has wandered off elsewhere. Great!

I'm enjoying the game thus far, but it's rather problematic that turning on the flashlight alerts the murderer to your presence because playing in the dark sometimes makes it hard to identify the places you're trying to go. It's probably better than the alternative though. So far it seems like we're all co-inhabiting some sort of weird dreamscape and I need to find my personal reason for being there so I can escape - and I assume wake up back in the classroom with a failed exam in front of me.

saniachan

Second Violinist
    Years
    As for myself, I'll probably play one of these:
    • Pokemon Ranger Guardian Signs
    • Megaman Battle Network 5
    • Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
    • Megaman Star Force 2

Years

THE POKECOMMUNITY GAME-ALONG - Mages of Mystralia

The PokeCommunity Game-Along

PART 1

Before I start, let me tell you what this game is about.

You play as young mage Zia in a world, where magic was banned. The game plays a lot like classic Zelda games. You have pretty much open world divided in smaller areas, with obstacles taunting you with treasures you can't get yet, puzzles and dungeons you have to clear to continue the story. The main gimmick of the game is spell crafting. You have 4 basic spells - electric melee attack, fire attack that you can put on the ground and that will damage anything that touch it, wind shield and ice platform that you can put on water. You can change how these spells behave with special runes, like making the fire attack into regular fireball, changing the wind shield into dash attack or creating an afterimage of yourself and so on. And you can even combine them, which is so much fun. I think I'll only mention getting runes in the main story, as majority is awarded for solving puzzles. And you can save all the spells you make and use them without the need to go to the menu and rearranging runes for different result. Right now I have a shield that when hit by an attack, will shoot 3 fireballs that bounce around for a while and explode into an electric explosion when they hit enemies. And dash that will shoot 3 bouncing fireballs that explode into several ice platforms on impact (all platforms can damage enemies).

Anyway, before starting the game, I decided to pick "Challenging" difficulty and didn't expect it to be so... challenging. Especially in first location, before I got used to the game. More than 1 enemy usually meant "hit and run" strategy and I ripped more times that expected.

Now, finally for the game... I, as Zia, am sent by my mentor to Haven, the safe place for mages, for my very own spellbook. But the bridge in forest collapses and I end up lost. Thankfully, I also find spellbook just lying on the ground. This one is talking with sinister evil voice (no other spellbook does talk), but who cares? Now I should probably mention one little fact from the lore of this game. Mages used to rule this world, but one of them went insane, burned some villages and so people decided to ban magic. So after beating few goblins, I finally made it to Haven and was quickly sent on my very first quest. Something evil is lurking in the forest and I have to find out what it is and get rid of it.

After a little bit of exploring, killing goblins and helping villagers that exiled me from the village before the start of the game, I found first boss of the game. A big goblin. Beating it was kinda easy. Its attacks couldn't be blocked with wind shield, but there were explosive barrels all over the place, that stunned it. So first boss is down and I got my very first rune to augment my spells. This new rune allowed me to shoot fireballs and I could get to new area in the forest.

This new area contained a bunch of goblins, skeletons and carnivores, but after single puzzle I unlocked another boss - huge cursed tree. This was more traditional bossfight. The tree had several phases that it cycled through. It shot cone of wind around the battlefield, summoned skeletons and carnivores, and just slammed its branches all over the battlefield. After each cycle, it stopped and rest for a while, letting me attack it.

And now I see a huge wall of text that I've written, so let's take the rest of this update quickly. At this point in the game a solar eclipse appears and good mages are sure that evil mages are behind it. So it's up to Zia and other mages to figure it out.

The forest was basically 1st dungeon, so 2nd dungeon was called Sky Temple. I was sent there to find Sky Shard - basically a huge lens that can be used to harvest Celestial Magic in this universe. I get explosive rune, which allowed be to clear huge boulders. I also obtained new wand to use. This wand powers up fire spells, which is nice, since Sky Temple is basically ice dungeon. The boss of this dungeon is ice lizard, that shoots ice shards, attacks with ice ball on his tail, drops icicles and summons skeletons. Was somewhat easier than the tree.

Another piece in the good mages' plan is obtaining spellbook of the mad-mage I mentioned above. It's located in the tomb under the capital city. So after going back to the forest and getting some side puzzles done and getting another wand... and after doing side puzzles and getting another wand in the capital city, I got to the tomb after bribing the guard with his own badge that he lost. I got duplicate rune in the tomb and that's when I saved.

This was quite a big update, but I apparently finished about 30% of the game. If you couldn't say it from the update, I'm really digging this game.

pkmin3033

Have fun! Fantastic game. Perhaps not as good as War of the Lions in my opinion, but significantly better than its rather disappointing sequel, A2...let us know how you get on :3

Years
    So, I managed to get about ten minutes of playtime in before my cat decided I was done. In that time all I managed to achieve was finding Rude Girl in one of the classrooms, where she explained the weird alternate Coma universe we were in a bit more, and running into a friend who had managed to get cut open by something. I wonder what. My next mission when my cat decides I'm allowed to play again is to find bandages for that friend so she doesn't bleed out on the floor. Which means I get to go back to the main building we're I last saw the psycho with the box cutter.

Years

PART 2

I'm back with another update. This game really sucked me in and I love it. Since the last time I found out that the difficulty I'm playing on was added in the game after the release and adds new enemies, better enemy AI and new hard puzzles and is meant for 2nd playthrough. That's nice thing to find out when I'm already about 1/3 of a game.

Anyway last time I saved right before the boss. The tomb's boss is Mage-Queen that loved chess so much that her whole room in the tomb was design as big chess board. At the start of the battle, she destroys whole board except small area in the middle and starts shooting at Zia. Those attacks are easily deflected, but then the queen clones herself and her clones attack from all directions at the same time, so I had to be quick to kill them or let myself get hit. In second phase, the board is mostly recovered and I had to activate 3 platforms, while avoiding ghost hands that the queen summoned. Platforms revealed white chess queen piece - hiding place of the boss. Destroying it triggered the 1st phase again.

After beating her, I finally got to the tomb of the mad-king and found out that his spellbook is missing. But there is a bad mage there. And he's actually pretty nice and kind. He was sent here to get mad-king's body to resurrect and ask him about the eclipse. That's actually not a bad idea. I'm starting to like these guys.

Before I was able to report back in Haven, I stumbled at burning tower of a castle. The crowd that formed there is informed by Marquis' (ruler of Mystralia) Counsellor that the Marquis was killed by mages. I knew it! We are the bad guys. Counsellor declares war on mages! Well, I have to warn mages at Haven.

Counsellor's army doesn't waste time and before I can even get out of Capital City, they burn the village from before down. I'm starting to like this guy more and more... But Zia disagree, so I have to save some villagers. It's pretty linear and I soon get to the mine shaft that leads out of the village. And get lost. But Zia is the "getting lost" master and find an old powerful sage hiding there.

The sage teaches me how mastery over air magic. This makes creating spell even more fun. Remember how I said that there is electric melee, wind shield, ice platforms and fire dot attack? Well now I can make some of these into air attacks. So instead of fireball I shoot air balls, have air melee and most importantly, instead of ice platform I can shoot small tornados.

The sage gives me more info about the world, saying that there are 3 more sages around Mystralia and they all were once great teachers of Mage-Kings. And guess what? I'll have to find all of them to get mastery over other elements. He reveals the location of water sage in Sunken Quarry. This is old abandoned quarry with air-activated platforms. What a convenience!

But this is pretty annoying dungeon. There is one main area with tons of enemies. And every time you die, they respawn. This dungeon was pretty straightforward. There were few side areas, where I had to activate water valves. After activating all of them, lift appeared in the main area that lead to the boss of this dungeon - King Blob and Queen Blob. Those cute slimes were deadly. They have special bond between them that hurt a lot, when it touches Zia. King charges at her, while Queen shoots projectiles. This was pretty close fight, but I beat them.

And I finally got to water sage and got ability to shoot ice balls. And since this is once again pretty long wall of text, I'll cut it here and will get to the earth mage later.

pkmin3033

I am now at...The Library. The one level that my friend and I could never do on Legendary, and spent several hours of our youth trying. Not playing very often - this is the first time in three days that I have in fact, P5R is taking up most of my time now - but could probably finish by the end of the week maybe?

The new visuals are very nice, but one thing I noticed is that they rob the game of the horror element that it had back in the day. In the original Halo you basically NEEDED the flashlight if you wanted to get anywhere, it was so freakin' dark...and with tiny Flood constantly attacking you out of nowhere, and the sounds that practically fill the entire background no matter how close or far they are, it's pretty damned atmospheric. The remastered version? Brightly-lit corridors. It makes navigation much easier - to a point; a lot of the rooms on the ship look the same and it's pretty easy to get turned around...although as a rule if there isn't a corpse lying around, you've not been there - but yeah, not quite as scary. I feel like something quite valuable was lost with that and I wish they'd found a way to preserve it beyond just letting you swap to the old graphics if you wanted to.

saniachan

Second Violinist
    Years
    Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, huh? It's the only Final Fantasy game I've ever played but never got to finish. I personally wished for either Pokemon or one of the Megaman ones, but well, whatever. 🤷

Before I start though, I'd like to say that I'm feeling lazy for naming stuffs, so I decided to go for the default names when prompted early in the game: my MC is Marche and the clan he's in is Nutsy. For more challenge (?), I'll also limit my clan's members up to the number of base jobs in each races: 5 for humans (including Marche), 2 for bangaas, and 3 for each of the other races (including Montblanc for the moogles).

The story started with two rounds of tutorials. The first one posed as a snowball fight, followed by some story fluff (read: the world changing for whatever reasons) and the second tutorial where Marche met a random moogle named Montblanc. He later joined the clan Montblanc is currently in and they're doing some random quests for now.
    Spoiler: Clan Nutsy as of now
    • Marche (Human) - Soldier
    • Montblanc (Moogle) - Black Mage
    • Raol (Human) - Soldier
    • Elias (Bangaa) - White Monk
    • Moritz (Nu Mou) - White Mage
    • Fio (Viera) - Archer

Last edited:
    Years
    Don't have much to report in this update either as I have made exactly no progress. I found my way into the nurses office, dying several times in the process. There I collected everything I could and, fleeing for my life again, managed to make my way back to the friend who was injured... only to discover I somehow do not have the medkit still even though I emptied the room entirely. This took me like two hours and I am beginning to doubt my ability to actually finish this one.

Going to watch a video walkthrough at some point to try and work out where it is and how the hell I missed it.

Years

PART 3

So before I start this update, I made a small mistake last time. I messed up the sages. The first mage isn't air mage, but electric mage. Which lets me shoot electricballs, electric balls, but still transform ice platform into tornado for some reason.

Next sage is located in the Old Mine, with probably the worse goblins in there. There are dark goblins that will drain your mana, when they hit you, making you unable to attack. But this location also has a bunch of light puzzles. Ice shield can reflect light the same way as Mirror Shield in Zelda or Kid Icarus series.

The boss of this dungeon is one-eyed Gargoyle. And even after beating it, I still have no idea how it works. It only attacks with melee attacks and with one AoE attack once in a while. It's also immune against my attacks, unless I stun it with light first. And this is where the problem starts. To get a light in the battle arena, I had to light up 4 light located there. But the arena was small, so I was almost always in the melee range of Gargoyle and his AoE attack automatically turned all the light off. But even when I was able to get all 4 up, Gargoyle sometimes just ignored the light in his eye and continued with his attacks. So it was painful boss.

But beating it unlocked earth sage, that taught me mastery over air. Does that make sense? If so, then let me tell you that air mastery let's me shoot earthballs and transforms ice platforms into earth platforms. This let's me walk on lava, which means last dungeon - Lava grotto.

This was pretty short and straightforward dungeon. The goal was to drain all the lava to the lowest floor of the dungeon, where the boss was waiting. This boss was actually a lot better than the gargoyle. It was huge lava bug that was shooting projectiles from its tail and sometimes attacked with its claws. The battlefield was also pretty interesting. There were like 5 small islands floating on lava, so I had to constantly cast earth platforms and move to dodge the projectiles. But it was fine boss fight.

And so I found last sage and got fire mastery. Each sage also told me more about history of the world and revealed that the Counsellor used to be a mage, but since his role model was the Mad-King, they exiled him and so he decided to eradicate them. Well, now it's pretty clear who the main villain is and it seems like I'll take him on in the next update.

Cherrim

Years

APRIL PROGRESS #1
    Theme: RNG
    Game: Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave
    Console: Playstation Portable
    Serious stories: 1/15
    Joke stories: 1/15

I really didn't feel like putting down my PSP after I finished Crisis Core last month, so I started a new game and made maybe 30 minutes of progress before Animal Crossing took over my life. But I really lucked out because that's the game that came up when I rolled the dice this month, so now I'll actually finish it! Can't break my streak now!

Twin Brave is a Tales spinoff in the musou genre. I considered doing it for last month, actually. I picked it up yeeears ago and did a few of the stories in it, but I realized pretty quickly that I would enjoy it a lot more if I'd played all the Tales games and knew all the characters first, so I set it aside until I'd done that. I only managed to complete all the games as of... last month? The month before? Embarrassingly recently. But I'd been holding off on all these spinoffs because of it and now the gates are open!!!

This game is... well, it's not great. I think I also just hate the musou genre and find it deeply unengaging, so I'm certainly not here for the hack'n'slash gameplay. I'd probably warm up to it a little more if it were a more modern game on a more modern console, but as it is, it's pretty annoying to control. But also maybe that's just because I only ever play mages in Tales and there are none to be found here. The characters are great and I'm enjoying the way the story is formatted, though, so I'll power through. Each Tales game has two partner representatives and each game has a serious story and a joke story. I finished Phantasia's the other night and the serious story rehashed the original game's plot veeeery loosely while incorporating the villain of Destiny 2's story and did it better than TOD2 did. The joke story was a total 180 where the main character accidentally ate a plant that made him unable to stop making puns and the goal was just to cure him, hahaha. I can't wait to see all the other dumb stories.

Anyway, the credits roll each time I complete a chapter so obviously my marker for beating the game will be completing each story.

Years

FINAL PART

Okay, let's end this.

I spent some time backtracking and getting new runes and more purple beads (that I probably didn't mention until now). Well, they are used to upgrade my health and mana. As for the runes I got Mastery, Proximity and Size runes. Mastery adds new effect to the spell - freezing the opponent for ice spells for example, Proximity activates another spell when enemy get close to the cast spell, so like I could make a clone of myself at let it explode when an enemy gets close and finally Size makes the spell bigger and better. I used it mostly with elemental balls attacks. The rune could either make these spells shoot 3 huge balls or 5 regular balls, depending on the placement of the rune.

During exploration I also found out that one merchant in the capital city sells a scarab. This item will revive you once without going back to checkpoint and respawning enemies. And I got pretty nice wand - Life Staff, that heals me a little bit for every damage I deal. Lastly I also attempted a Trial of Mages, which is basically arena where you fight waves of enemies and get rewards for it. I beat 11 out of 12 waves on my 2nd try, but decided not to try it again, because I would probably need more health and mana to do so and I was really looking forward going to the Dark Tower and finish the game. And the final reward for beating all 12 waves was just another wand.

Back to the story. Back in Haven, it's finally revealed that the talking spellbook with evil voice is actually the soul of Mad-King trapped in a spellbook. Shocking! And he's been secretly teaching me about Celestial Magic so I can take on Counsellor. Going to the Tower, I found my mentor wounded and face the Counsellor for the first time. He's using pretty interesting combinations of spells. He shoots fireballs to all directions and they explode into more fireballs. He's also using shields and homing fireballs. And he can spawn goblins. I beat him only thanks to the scarab, but it's not the end of the game. Counsellor escapes to the top of the tower and I have to go through 4 rooms full of enemies of different elements without dying. The worse was probably ice and fire rooms, since they were mostly composed of water/lava.

After that it was time for the final final boss fight. Counsellor now uses 2 different spells. He teleports around the room and creates copies of himself that shoot fireballs in all directions. He also shoots 5 earth balls that do a lot of damage on impact. Each time I chip down 1/4 of his HP, he teleports to the middle of the room and wants to use Celestial Magic. The game let me counter by solving simple puzzle in around 15 seconds. I was able to do so each time, so I have no idea what would happen if I fail, but I stopped him from using the Celestial Magic. Also after each if this segment, 1/4th of the room disappear. So you can imagine the chaos.

And so to end this, the Counsellor was defeated, but the Mad-King was able to gain enough power through the adventure that he possessed one of the other mages and disappear. At least the eclipse went away. And just like that, the game ends.

I really enjoyed this game. The spell-crafting was awesome and really detailed. The difficulty was harsh, especially at the beginning, but that's mostly my fault for starting with hard difficulty. The world was charming and set pretty interesting lore. I beat the game in 9 hours and 52 minutes and wouldn't mind a sequel that was partly set at the end.

Fleurdelis

Gunbreaker addict
    Years
    I uh forgot to update this thread with my progress but I beat DOOM 2016 in 2 days straight, had nothing better to do and this whole situation made me want to rip n tear demons and piss off robot scientist man.

Though there was the moment the 2 dudes with sticks beat the crap out of me but then I forgot I had a OP shotgun so they became less of a problem. Was a good time to let off some steam.

saniachan

Second Violinist
    Years
    Minor update (22/4/2020)
    Spoiler:

Major update (26/4/2020)
    Spoiler:

If next month's requirement allows it, I'll continue this very playthrough for next month's game-along. 😉

Last edited:

Cherrim

Years

APRIL PROGRESS #2
    Theme: RNG
    Game: Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave
    Console: Playstation Portable
    Serious stories: 15/15
    Joke stories: 12/15

Alright, it's after midnight. I got addicted to an MMO (plus, you know, Animal Crossing) and did not play this as much as I should have, so while I did finish all the "real" story, I only got through 13 of the 15 joke stories you unlock after doing all the serious ones.

BUT. This game really sucks and I hate everything about the battles and game design so you know what? I'm gonna say I beat it. I did the main story for each pair and all that's left are three breaking-the-fourth-wall joke stories that I'm hoping to finish off before I go to bed because FFXIV is about to kick me out for maintenance anyway. (So this should take maybe another hour?) Hopefully this still counts as beating it by the deadline lmao.

Excited to play something better than this for next month!!

pkmin3033

Please accept my apologies for not being quite as involved with things last month - April was absolutely horrific and I took a week and a bit of a hiatus to stave off insanity get things back under control.

First post will be updated later today with last month's stats. I am so far behind. Would have posted this earlier but I work mornings and I had to type it out so year, we're a little late today.

Also, as a side note - next month doesn't technically start until I post it up, so if you're on the cusp of the deadline and you get your post in before I do...it counts. xD

With all that said...

May - Swords and Sorcery

It's time to pull out your sword of preferred length (ahem) and incinerate/freeze/electrocute/gravity smash (delete as appropriate) your foes, because May is Swords and Sorcery month! Tired of tanks and guns? Ready to save the world? You're in luck, because your task for May is to go off on an adventure with tried-and-true low tech wooden/steel/iron weaponry...and the elemental forces of mass destruction. Because of course. Nobody goes into battle with just a sword any more, right?

Just a couple of rules:

- Your main player character should use swords or sorcery, unless circumstances force them to do otherwise. So you could, for example, play a game in the Zelda series, because Link's primary weapon is a sword, and you only use other weapons to solve puzzles in dungeons or target boss weak points. However, in a game that allows you to choose classes - such as Dragon Age: Origins - you would need to choose to be either a Warrior or Mage-type class...or even only a Mage-type class if the Warrior can only wield axes.
    - Any kind of sorcery is acceptable. That includes necromancy, summoning, etc. Also, it doesn't matter what it's called in-game - if it looks like magic and acts like magic, it's magic. But remember that gameplay elements based in technology are NOT magic - so that disqualifies Pokemon (which is summoning creatures but kinda not) and Mass Effect's biotics.
    - Party members can use whatever they're given, although in any game that allows you to control them beyond just choosing their turn, you should avoid controlling them unless they are a sword or magic user.

Questions, suggestions, as always, post them in here. Feel free to run by games you're not sure about if necessary. Good luck!

saniachan

Second Violinist
    Years
    Before I start, question: can I continue my FFTA playthrough from last month? I mean, the MC and his moogle partner basically started out as a swordsman and a mage respectively, so...

pkmin3033

Before I start, question: can I continue my FFTA playthrough from last month? I mean, the MC and his moogle partner basically started out as a swordsman and a mage respectively, so...
    Yup, that's acceptable~

Back