• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Police

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
  • ROOOOOOXAAAAAAAAANNE

How do you feel about officers of the law? Have you ever been involved with them? Feel free to share any experiences, but don't go confessing to murder or something. That's something you should take up with your local cops.

Years
  • I hate them. /sorry not sorry.

Maybe some of them are good but it seems most of them are just low lifes. Look at them the wrong way and your being held down face first on the ground. My father in law had a gun pointed to his head all over his cars head-light being out. My aunt was pepper sprayed in the face after getting home and finding out her home was robbed and wanting to go inside (never been in trouble with the law before).

Not to mention story after story I hear about them just being awful to people, they think they're better than everyone else.

(I'm not dissing every cop, I'm sure there are some good ones out there. But it seems the majority sucks)

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Cops can get pretty rowdy. In the city I live in, the police have a particularly bad reputation. Our city was even named the nicest place to live by some magazine I forget the name of. Overall, I think they can go overboard, but they're necessary. I've personally never had a run in with them and I don't want to.

Sirfetch’d

I don't have much of an opinion of them other than they do their job which is protecting citizens. I personally have never had a run-in with them as I haven't committed a crime in which I was caught so maybe that is why I don't have anything against them.

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
    Years
  • 1.How do you feel about officers of the law? 2.Have you ever been involved with them?
    1. I hate police PERIOD. Fat donut eating dorks tik me off. an infamous example was when my little bro got "lost"(he was actually hiding REAL good). atm only ones at the house was me, my sis, and my bro. my sis got frustrated and called the cops. whenn he came down here he threatened to arrest ME just cuz I was (at the time 18) and shouldve looked after him.

2.a few times but the most infamous case was when my parents called the cops on me for hitting my little bro HARD in the nuts hahaaa(little brat was messing with my laptop so he got what was coming). of course my grandma with her wise words saved me before I could go to jail ^_^

nimbo

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I like them! I have never had a run in with the law, or a bad experience so, I'm pretty happy. Like every job, there are people that totally go overboard and/or do stupid things. Sadly, I think cops get a bad reputation because they do use force. But there are lives at stake when they're doing their job (theirs and the citizens) and so sometimes force is necessary.

Years
  • cops in my university are nice, but I'm afraid of the ones that abuse their power, which isn't exactly a rare sight to behold.

Crux

Evermore
    Years
  • I don't like them, nor dislike them. It depends more on the person then the job that signifies what type they are.

Are they doing they're job, yet remaining respectful? Do they have a good moral compass? Are they more concerned with seeing the right thing done then enforcing a ridiculous set of regulations?
    Great. They're an okay cop in my opinion.

Are they one of the admittedly many who have a superiority, and god complex? Do they feel the need to constantly enforce the petty rules of the state, merely because they can? Are they disrespectful?
    They're not a police officer. They're little more than a child. Walking in the shoes of a constable, they're just a bully.

I've had to deal with the cops a couple times. And I've met both lawdogs, and good people, but much to the chagrin of the former, never for anything serious.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    I can't very well judge police as a whole, considering they all are individual people who behave in different ways. Some are good people, some aren't.

There's one around here who actually goes around, looking to give people trouble about things they're doing- even if what they're doing is legal. (I'm not solely making assumptions; someone I know ran into his son and he himself remarked about it.)
    ...And yet, I watched a different cop who came and took care of a half-dead opossum that had been hit by a car.

So I'm pretty neutral, I guess.
    Admittedly, there has been at least one occasion that someone very well had the right to call the police over something I did, but they let it go- so not much experience with them.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
    Years
  • Do mind my bias. I'm a cop child. My father, sister and brother-in-law are all/were members of the RCMP. So I have a great amount of respect for people who risk their lives every single day.

That being said, the policing system in the united states is wack. straight up. makes me sick just thinking about it.

IggyKoopa

#429: magical pokémon
    Years
  • I've never had a run-in, but the traffic cops here are notoriously vigilant. There are stories of people who have been caught for going just a few mph over the limit, and there are usually speed traps about 50 feet past a 55 mph sign on the interstate.

And yet everyone still does 72 in the 55 zones, somehow. ._.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I know most of them are good, honest people... but I just can't feel safe around them. I can't trust someone who has as much power as they do. They're supposed to protect you, but you're never more vulnerable than you are with them around.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I have nothing against them. Not everyone can relate to my stories, I know, but from what I've seen they're usually caring and just do what they have to do to keep us safe. Hell, with the run ins I've had with the police, I'd even say they were kind, considering I've been let off the hook for basically anything and everything I've done that could have gotten me fined/arrested. Well, at least I think you can get arrested for trespassing.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2017
    I'm not really sure how I feel about them, since I don't know very many.
    I had a teacher once, a few years ago, who was a retired cop. She was very, uh, diligent. In teaching and from the stories she told us. She had lots of rules, but they made sense.
    Otherwise, I've never "had a run-in" with a cop.

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
    Years
  • Do mind my bias. I'm a cop child. My father, sister and brother-in-law are all/were members of the RCMP. So I have a great amount of respect for people who risk their lives every single day.

That being said, the policing system in the united states is wack. straight up. makes me sick just thinking about it.

Care to give any reason why? I'm aware there's been accidental shootings by US police that have resulted in manslaughter, but this definitely doesn't apply exclusively to the US. I feel like you ended with this without giving any backup info because it's a controversial point. If you're going to make one, it's polite and generally more effective to provide context and evidence.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
  • Care to give any reason why? I'm aware there's been accidental shootings by US police that have resulted in manslaughter, but this definitely doesn't apply exclusively to the US. I feel like you ended with this without giving any backup info because it's a controversial point. If you're going to make one, it's polite and generally more effective to provide context and evidence.

There's no real reason to since this thread is based on opinion ("How do you feel about officers of the law?").

As for answering my own question, I generally dislike police officers because I find it difficult to trust people who have more power than I do. It's very, VERY easy to abuse power and legal disputes that could end in me getting arrested are the last instance I'd want even the slightest bias to interfere in. One of my mom's neighbors got arrested because the police deemed that he looked like the type of person to commit the crime in question. Logic like that is impeccable.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    It's interesting comparing different views with different locations.

I've been in touch with my local police force before, after someone broke in to my house. I was up at 4am, startled and confused and two officers came straight over to ask me about it and check the home was secure - they even offered to make me a cup of tea in my own home.

They kept me up to date with the search, and were nothing but kind and helpful.

Police around here do their job, and it's certainly not an easy job. I'm glad that they are present here and I would not hesitate to call them for any emergency or semi-emergency.

Years
  • Whilst I would love to say that I have nothing but respect for the police I'd be lying if I did. There are a lot of good cops, I realise this and I have a deep respect for the risks they take. Unfortunately there are too many cops who focus ridiculously hard on the most petty issues (minor infractions like riding a bike without a helmet), but refuse to do anything about a violent assault if they didn't witness the act. I live in a neighbourhood that started out really nice, but is getting progressively less so every year (although still far better than a lot of other places near here) because the local police (or rather the police from a couple of suburbs over since for some reason our own police station was closed a few years ago) refuse to take action unless they have no choice and the crime occurred right in front of them.

So, I respect those that actually look after the community. Not those that like to abuse their power whilst doing little to actually do their jobs.

Back