• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Protagonists

MarioManH

top kek
    Years
    I highly doubt they would replace Brendan/May, as this has not been seen with the other 2 remakes. There is a possibility they may have a little tweak to their outfits and that you can customize them as you were able to in XY.

Years
    Brendan/May had great designs, and I fell in love with May through the anime, but their character wasn't really the focus of the original RSE games. Most likely, they'll get a minor makeover in terms of a change of clothes, and maybe a change in hairstyle. Otherwise, I hope they put some effort in creating a story behind the face!

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    Brendan/May had great designs, and I fell in love with May through the anime, but their character wasn't really the focus of the original RSE games. Most likely, they'll get a minor makeover in terms of a change of clothes, and maybe a change in hairstyle. Otherwise, I hope they put some effort in creating a story behind the face!
    I'd hope they have more involvement in the story. I'd forgotten after Lilycove they were basically no longer in the story whatsoever. That really irked me and I hope they get something else later on, like more rival battles or maybe actually HELP you with beating Team Magma/Aqua.

~Platina's Jason~

Platina Fan to the 9th Degree~
    Years
    I fully expect them to keep Brendan and May since unlike the other generations that were remade RSE already had male and female options from the beginning. That said, I don't want customization but I do want them to have their original RS outfits but slightly modernized. I also don't mind their original roles so I'd be okay if they weren't added on to.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    May & Brendan's son/daughter plz!!! I want this to be set in the future

That would actually be pretty cool if they set the Hoenn region in the future. There are a lot of different "future" aspects that you could add but just keep most of the elements the same. Gym Leaders, Team Magma/Aqua, layout of towns, layouts of terrain...you could literally keep the same concept and themes behind them, but evolve them a little bit so it equates to the same timeline of Pokemon X and Y. By making the time line parallel with Pokemon X and Y or just make it a little bit further into the future of that, then that would be an easy solution of how Mega Evolution came into the Hoenn region.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    That would actually be pretty cool if they set the Hoenn region in the future. There are a lot of different "future" aspects that you could add but just keep most of the elements the same. Gym Leaders, Team Magma/Aqua, layout of towns, layouts of terrain...you could literally keep the same concept and themes behind them, but evolve them a little bit so it equates to the same timeline of Pokemon X and Y. By making the time line parallel with Pokemon X and Y or just make it a little bit further into the future of that, then that would be an easy solution of how Mega Evolution came into the Hoenn region.

Then that would not make it much of a remake. The retcon of when a region takes place has never happened before...

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    Then that would not make it much of a remake. The retcon of when a region takes place has never happened before...

You're still keeping the core elements of it in place though, just adding other elements to it. Besides, it gives it a "fresh" look on the region, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I know it's most likely not going to happen, but it would definitely be an interesting spin on the region if they did decide to pursue a path like that.

Years
    No, it can't be precisely a remake, it would be too dull, so there has to be some differences. (I want Wally as champion.)

Eh, did that with FrLg for the most part but did add something near the end (trip to the Sevii islands after defeating the seventh gym...seven and Sevii...why didn't I notice that before...). I think Wally being champ is more possible than a time shift as a time shift of a Region that is suppose to be a remake is very off.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I'm open to new protagonists; but I'm expecting them to keep Brendan and May as the protagonists. I also want them as true rivals this time around. ;)

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    I'm open to new protagonists; but I'm expecting them to keep Brendan and May as the protagonists. I also want them as true rivals this time around. ;)
    Absolutely this! If they stop off at Lilycove again I'll be truly disappointed. There was so much potential for them.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    I understand why they added Leaf because in the originals you could only be a boy. x3
    But for gen 2, I'm not sure why they ditched Krystal. I hope they don't do that to May or Brendan D:
    Because the original Gold and Silver also had only the boy trainer to choose from. It wasn't until Crystal where they added a female trainer, but HG/SS was suppose to be remakes of the original G/S, not Crystal.

I do wonder what Brendan and May's new outfits will look like this time, and how would affect PokeSpecial and May's anime incarnation.

Years
    I actually held off from battling them until after I defeated the league during a playthrough of Sapphire thinking that they'll evolve them in the mean time...nope...of course I wasn't aware of set levels at the time...especially since I could swear at one point their pokemon were always a certain level above mine...at least early on.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I want it to remain Brendan and May with customization if only for the reason that people will finally believe me when I say that Brendan is wearing a hat, and that his hair is not white, ha ha!

In all seriousness though, I would love to see Brendan and May return and be redrawn in the newer look of the games. Customization would be preferred, mainly because if you want them to retain their original outfits you can, but you can switch them up if not. Their outfits were sweet, but the idea of them in new clothes is awesome, too!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I fully expect them to keep Brendan and May since unlike the other generations that were remade RSE already had male and female options from the beginning. That said, I don't want customization but I do want them to have their original RS outfits but slightly modernized. I also don't mind their original roles so I'd be okay if they weren't added on to.
    Yeah, there's no reason for them not to put Brendan and May in ORAS.

But I don't see why you don't want customization in the games. Character customization was a fantastic addition to the games. It's not like its mandatory to change their outfits. The customization is an OPTION, so if you prefer their original outfits, you can keep 'em that way. I'd much rather have the option to change clothes than not be able to at all.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
    I really hope they keep Brendan and May...I really do. I'll be really sad and disappointed if they don't... >_<

I would like them to expand on their personalities though. They did a great job in X and Y so I'd like them to do the same thing with Brendan and May. Expand on their characters a bit more. They also have Wally as well to work with so it would be rather lame of them to ditch those characters for new ones.

Captain Oshawott

The Otter Pirate
    Years
    If this is the 'new world' that Gamefreak mentioned in the commercial, I'm wondering if it'll be set in the future, as someone has said before. Perhaps with new Protagonists to choose from. If that is the case, it'd be really cool to see May having a larger role within her father's Pokemon Lab.

Along with that, it'd be really cool to see Brenden as either a member of the Normal type gym, or even the Gym Leader himself. Of course, this could always be vice versa'd. May could be the Gym Leader peon/Leader herself, and Brenden could be the Professor's assistant.

It'd be like Cheren and Bianca transitioning from Black/White to Black 2/ White 2. Cheren became the first Gym Leader, and Bianca became one of Juniper's biggest Assistant. So I think it'd be kind of neat to see the original two Protagonists hold a decent role within the game, without necessarily being the Protagonists themselves.

However, if this is just a remake, it will still be interesting to see how Brenden and May will appear, assuming everyone is a 3D sprite now.

*Edit* Note: This is only speculation. I'm well aware that it was confirmed these games will be Remakes. But that doesn't mean we can't speculate, right? :P

Last edited:

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
    If this is the 'new world' that Gamefreak mentioned in the commercial, I'm wondering if it'll be set in the future, as someone has said before. Perhaps with new Protagonists to choose from. If that is the case, it'd be really cool to see May having a larger role within her father's Pokemon Lab.

Along with that, it'd be really cool to see Brenden as either a member of the Normal type gym, or even the Gym Leader himself. Of course, this could always be vice versa'd. May could be the Gym Leader peon/Leader herself, and Brenden could be the Professor's assistant.

It'd be like Cheren and Bianca transitioning from Black/White to Black 2/ White 2. Cheren became the first Gym Leader, and Bianca became one of Juniper's biggest Assistant. So I think it'd be kind of neat to see the original two Protagonists hold a decent role within the game, without necessarily being the Protagonists themselves.

However, if this is just a remake, it will still be interesting to see how Brenden and May will appear, assuming everyone is a 3D sprite now.

They said it was just a remake.

However, I am too, still questioning if they'll change anything like you're talking about.

Years
    Even if it was a remake I would not be shocked if things change. From most fans POV the remakes replace the original as being canon from what I have heard and seen. The fact Groundon and Kyrogue get new forms alone might alter the story from what were used to. As for the protags I'm guessing May and Brenden return but the fact custom styles may return from XY might make hardly anyone play as the default styles. Myself I think I'll play as May for a bit before changing her style up. (Matters if Hoenn gives us new options and not the same from XY) I think the boy should get more options since compared to Serena in XY Calem had so little choices

~Platina's Jason~

Platina Fan to the 9th Degree~
    Years
    Yeah, there's no reason for them not to put Brendan and May in ORAS.

But I don't see why you don't want customization in the games. Character customization was a fantastic addition to the games. It's not like its mandatory to change their outfits. The customization is an OPTION, so if you prefer their original outfits, you can keep 'em that way. I'd much rather have the option to change clothes than not be able to at all.

What you quoted completely explains why I don't want customization the the games and I've already said so before. Yes changing clothing would be optional but for nostalgia purposes and because May and Brendan's clothing is iconic I personally don't feel comfortable with the idea of being able to change their appearance.

Back