• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Turnoff - What You Don't Want to See in a Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
Years
  • However language if used correctly can add a more adult feel to a game as well as adult-like situations.
    Which would draw in the "unusual" crowd of gamers to the genre. Thus expanding the community.

Agreed that language can help if used correctly. But there are hackers that go "the kind of adult subject matter I'm dealing with here won't have the right tone if I refuse to use four-letter words," and then there are hackers that go "Let's see if I can out-cuss South Park!" It depends on how they're used.

MegaMaccer

If a tree falls in a forest
    Years
  • Hacks with bad Grammar and spelling, and appalling scripts. I myself find nothing wrong with fakemon (man I hate that term) so long as they are well done. Little 2D scribbles just get on my nerve, but well done ones can make a hack awesome.

Pokemon Nigh tBlack Version

Death Incarnate.
    Years
  • Hmm. I must say, that there is not much that I can say that hasn't already been said. I have played through all the original pokemon games, and I don't like seeing lightly edited ROMs. If you are gonna hack a game, it should be an overhaul. If I have to walk through Mt. Moon again, I instantly get turned off of the hack. I really don't like hacks that are much too hard. or easy/short ones. having more than one region in a hack is good, but the story should be changed in BOTH of the regions included. I absolutely despise fakemon that have ridiculous names. In my hack, there is only one fakemon named LABRYN. I have it there to compliment the legendary dogs. it is very hard to obtain. and the starters, I did not change. I don't like seeing different pokemon as starters. I just made new moves for the starters, to make them more interesting. I also ripped the cries of the starters from the tv show, so that the starters actually say "charmander", "charmeleon" etc, instead of vague noises.

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
    Years
  • What turns me off in a hack is:
    Trainer is not changed (I'm not to give examples.)
    ALL OF THIS SORT! ex: What the F*** man? I don't like it. DON'T POST IT HERE,OR I'M NOT GONNA PLAY IT. (Sheesh, I know it's a hack but it's Pokemon, not cuss-your-way-out-of-here.)
    Too orignal.

Cid

Years
  • I don't like Fakemon in hacks, though it really depends on how they're made.
    If they're better than the official 4th Generation Pokémon, then those Fakemon are fine with me.

Again, as many people here have said, bad grammar can make your hack less appealing.

Joosh

Nooby ROM Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2009
    DEFINETELY Bad sprites/tiles. And a repetitive storyline (resembling the nintendo one). Those 2 things really do make it the worst for me.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • Most D/P Pokémon sprites look retarded when they're inserted into GBA roms and they can't have their own cries/moves.

Unless you actually use a pallete that is true to the actual DPPt Pokemons colors, and it IS possible to change the cries/moves, you just have to delete content that you don't need in the hack.......

Agreed that language can help if used correctly. But there are hackers that go "the kind of adult subject matter I'm dealing with here won't have the right tone if I refuse to use four-letter words," and then there are hackers that go "Let's see if I can out-cuss South Park!" It depends on how they're used.

It is nearly impossible to out-cuss South Park (unless you're Furanki, who watches SP too much and actually made an SP Pokemon hack), Like I mentioned in an earlier post, an occasional "crap" or "damn" is ok, but using F and S bombs (like Quartz, which I think was inspired by SP as well, It even spilled out a CS bomb) is just plain vulgar and rude.

Last edited:

luigirulze

Australia's Biggest Luigi Nerd
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2010
    Bad spelling/grammar is one of the things i absolutely detest in a hack. I don't really care if you make a small spelling mistake here or there or miss an apostrophe or whatever boo-hoo. It's the serious ones that really annyo me. Pokemon Kanto is a shining example of a great hack idea, well scripted but absolutely ruined by bad spelling and grammar plus the massive amount of major bugs. It's often the small things, the extra effort put in that really make a hack shine.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2010
    Anvilicious storylines. I get it; the bad guys are bad, the good guys are good, and the legendary Pokemon can't seem to accomplish anything without being controlled by mysterious orbs in the possession of those signifigantly smaller than themselves.

Micro SD

HubbaBubba
    Years
  • Well,

1. Bad spelling/Grammar: I really wish people would learn to spell better, because it's not that hard to catch onto bad spelling and other Grammar errors.

2. Relatively Unchanged Storyline: If goes something like the normal story of the Base game, I'm uninterested.

3. Bad Storyline- Ya, like some T.V. shows or video games, if it has a boring storyline, I just don't like it.

LunaticHigh

N00b h4x0r
    Years
  • -when the story is absurd or bizarre, like: the world was destroyed and now you live in the moon and have to find a way of going to the sun beat groudon (???)

That actually sounds really cool lol

Umm yeah, my list would have to be

1. Bad story - I'll only do the Pokemon League thing for Nintendo games...
    2. Bad dialogue (includes bad grammar) - Self explanatory? I don't wanna be confused.
    3. Fakemon - I didn't like it when they went past 151 pokemon... I'm not gonna like it when theres more than 386 or whatever the amount of current pokemon is.
    4. Bad sprites - I prefer new and original sprites for the main characters but I'll accept using old ones too. I just don't like BAD sprites lol

Years
  • lets see...
    1. Bad grammer
    2. fakemon
    3. pokemon too good too fast
    4. too easy or too hard (extra medium!! lol)
    5. poor storyline
    6. having legendaries too early or not having them at all
    this looks a lot like all the others lol

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
  • Well, I don't like Fakemon so much... Grammar is important, bad is bad, unless it is a translation, then it is ok.
    And I don't like the time traveling thing that arose a while back... That was pretty lame...

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    I'm tired of being sucked in by hacks that have an interesting, unique intro to the plot (you start off the game being kidnapped and taken to a forest, you're telepathically contacted by a legendary who needs you to go on a mission, you live in a dystopian Kanto 70 years in the future where people struggle to survive...) and then discover that beyond the backstory it's the same old plot: go to the Professor, get your choice of starters (or, when they're being unique, one starter zomg), then go off and defeat 8 gym leaders/elders/mob bosses/fighting gurus/a-gym-leader-by-any-other-name-would-smell-as-stale, followed by 4 Elites/super-elders/kingpins/whatever. Originality in the plotline doesn't have to stop just because gameplay starts. In fact, it shouldn't.

True I agree with most of what you've said, but IMO in order for a hack to be truly original would be when it is possible to completely tweak the gameplay system. I mean most games from pokemon to final fantasy to zelda have a end-game or stage bosses, and mostly turn-base battle gameplay system. It's hard to break the mold even if you change the number of stage bosses. Why do you think the official game series hasn't deviated from the usual storyline premise? The same formula - Protaganist (of either gender) has a Rival, gets Starter Pokemon from Pokemon Professor or Authority, starts adventure journey, fights Stage Bosses then End-Game Bosses and captures Legendary Pokemon..The only way a truly original hack could work is if it overhauls quite a bit of the gameplay system and introduces new features, which will probably involve heavy scripting and game engine hacking.

What I dislike most (and this goes for the official games as well) is when a mind-numbing grind-fest is required: I need to catch more than 2 Pokemon and level them up for the sole purpose of clearing a gym or stage. I don't mind if the game is too easy as long as the story's script is engaging. Neither do I mind if a stage is challenging as long as the reward (aka story) at the end of the stage is good. But mind-numbing training grind= NO!

I also hate getting stuck due to scripting errors.

I don't really mind more mature storyline content as long as it stops short of explicit and obscene sexual/violent depictions/references.. and doesn't have unnecessary usage of expletives (e.g. OOC usage, excessive usage)

Sumirelove

Lazy Arcanine
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen May 27, 2010
    I'm not too fond of:

-Fakemon
    -poor storyline
    -little or no scripting
    -remakes
    -bad mapping
    -and I REALLY hate bad starters (i.e. Minun or Aron (I also dislike the Hoenn and Sinnoh starters too))

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back