• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Thin Air

Years
    • Online now
    When you hear the word "Thin Air" are you able to visualize anything?

How good are you at visualizing images? When you see something for the first time, how long can you hold it as a memory?

Years
  • OMG! <3 😊

When you hear the word "Thin Air" are you able to visualize anything?

How good are you at visualizing images? When you see something for the first time, how long can you hold it as a memory?

Thin Air always makes me think of nothingness, like something that should be there but isn't. Unless we're talking Thin Air as in high altitude, then I usually think of a mountain top :)

I'm actually really bad at visualisation tbh. I think it might be due to autism. Therapists always try to get me to do things like EMDR, and it fails every time, in part due to my dreadful visualisation abilities.

Years
  • What I pictured when I read the word "Thin Air" was a person, struggling to breathe at high altitudes. More specifically I visualized a man traveling on a air plane, requiring oxygen from the air vent above them, and perhaps receiving an oxygen mask as the air level drops.

I am fairly good at visualizing images. I am a daydreamer with an active imagination that tends to run away with me.

To answer the second question, I don't think after seeing an an image once I have any exceptional ability to retain it in my memory over time. I have a good memory, but I am a much more verbal person, and while I am good at recalling names, or remembering the exact words that were said, and tone of voice, I am not as good with reconstructing faces or what someone was wearing.

I don't have very good eyesight. Though it is corrected to normal with contact lenses, I think my other senses like sound have developed to be the dominant ones that I rely on more than vision.

Years
  • An ending as the air you're breathing gets less and less.

In terms of visualization, I can, but whether I can bring it to life is another story.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Being on high places. Like mountain tops or high monuments. There's less oxygen in the air the higher up you go. For example, near the top of Everest, you are taking in about a 1/3 as much oxygen as you would at sea level. Not lethal necessarily, but still highly dangerous for thrill seekers.

When it's something scientifically interesting and something I know a little about, my mind tend to catastrophize. So when I hear the phrase "thin air" -- my mind automatically leaps to the statistical amount of people who gave died from oxygen deprivation trying to climb something without a breathing aid -- or even the opposite, the bends, where there's too much Nitrogen in the body. From this point, I'll do research and lather myself into a panic about how RIGHT I am that planes are deadly.

Confirmation bias - complete.
    Imagination initiated.
    Sleep - Edging impossible.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I also picture someone standing from a great height on a mountain. The thin air at the top is represented by freezing winds and mist in my mind. I think I'm a good visualiser - when I read, I tend to bring books to life in my head as if they were a movie with fully fleshed out character appearances, voices and settings. Similarly with real memories, I can recall or still remember a lot of details in my head or picture what people looked/sounded like in that memory but whether that is accurate is a different question! Oddly enough I have trouble visualising certain images - I always struggled with geometry/shape puzzles in school because I had trouble rotating, flipping or altering images in my mind.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Imagines a mountain peak. Probably saw one in a book or cartoon somewhere. Perhaps a clipart? Stuck as the mountain peak image.

Is not an observant person. Focuses on major details. Holds onto them decently. Loses little things easily without conscious effort. Cites that as the reason for having poor memory in regards to people. Separates faces through small details. Disappears quickly. Becomes uncertain upon seeing someone a second time. Relies on larger, less complex objects, such as glasses, bags, and sometimes hair.

Adds one interesting sidenote. Improves visualization considerably at the edge of sleep. (Drifts off to sleep with some success attempting to do this.) Favors old Super Nintendo games ingrained in memory. Plays it. Expands the window of visualization from a small circle to the entire screen, when sleepy enough.

Heard about people seeing Tetris like that. Usually selects the first level of Mario Kart or F-Zero. Managed with Earthbound, Kirby Super Star (more generic than level specific), and Chrono Trigger once or twice. Works a bit for real-life spots too.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Sep 7, 2021
    i really could wax poetic here but instead this was the first thing my dumb ass thought of:

075b1018bb931a0866c68586996ded57.png

ANYWAY, i like to think i'm great at visualizing! been a writer for over 18 years with personal projects so it's part of my hobby to translate visuals into words and vice versa.

Last edited:
    Years
  • It's probably due to the expression, but I imagined something being there and then just suddenly p00f! It vanished into thin air!

I'd say I'm okay at visualizing images, though I usually end up in different places than the people I know.
    My memory is uh... not that great though xD

Back